Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

bump_fn posted:

that episode is maybe one of the all time greats

especially the ending, jesus christ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

indigi posted:

what exactly do you think your point is here

that the movie industry is godawful and being outraged at quentin tarantino is missing the forest for the trees.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
again this is just remarkably not difficult

tarantino forcing women to let him suck their toes to be in his movies: would be extremely bad if it were actually a thing

tarantino filming women’s bare feet in his movies: weird obsession of dorks on internet, not an actual problem

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

jesus h christ everyone shut up about the foot thing

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
stick a sock in it, if you will

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

infernal machines posted:

stick it in a sock, if you will

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
two episodes in, i am still not sure if the wilds is good or bad

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Jonny 290 posted:

always sunny is a great and funny show but their fan base is by and large terrible

the lowest rated episode is "the gang turns black", where a freak lightning storm has them wake up as black versions of themselves and they realize how terrible and racist they are and how terrible and racist society is.

i had an ex who just could not stand that show

curb your enthusiasm, seinfeld, just didn't like them

why? i asked stupidly

they're all horrible people and i know too many like that irl

to me it was surrealism to them, not so much

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

why? i asked stupidly

tbh this is exactly how i feel about most of them. like, some eps of the above / some scenes are very funny but by and large i just find the shows stressful

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
the only time I felt like that was the righteous gemstones, just episode after episodes of horrible people with no resolution

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

mediaphage posted:

tbh this is exactly how i feel about most of them. like, some eps of the above / some scenes are very funny but by and large i just find the shows stressful

i was gonna add workaholics to that list but they're just potheads and phone janitors

that show is pretty fun if you can get past idk whichever season they added seriously annoying product placement

adam devine is also great in the righteous gemstones

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
I mean like at least in curb your enthusiasm he gets his comeuppance and people call larry david out all the time or whatever

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

why? i asked stupidly

my stepmom was telling me about the sensitivity of the horn in her rental car and i told her about the curb your enthusiasm episode where larry david has that problem. she said she'd never seen it so i said oh, it's fun, larry david is a jerk and he's always mad about silly things, you might like it

later i asked her if she'd watched it and she said oh.

oh that show.
oh no.
no, i couldn't stand it. i watched about ten minutes of it and, i mean, those people...those are the people i left LA to get away from! it was a nightmare. i had to turn it off

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

this one always makes me laugh

lol

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

curb has funny parts, but i can never see past how its a bunch of LA celebrities pretending like they hate each other and all they do is go out to lunch and to each others big houses for dinner parties

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

SmokaDustbowl posted:

I mean like at least in curb your enthusiasm he gets his comeuppance and people call larry david out all the time or whatever

yeah it's a good palate cleanser from seinfeld

you get to understand it's just larry david being neurotic and saying the worst possible thing in every situation and being "misinterpreted"

or an rear end in a top hat

meanwhile workaholics has one of the best episodes about gay panic ever

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

no, i couldn't stand it. i watched about ten minutes of it and, i mean, those people...those are the people i left LA to get away from! it was a nightmare. i had to turn it off

yeah this

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

indigi posted:

I tried watching The Vast of Night. the first 15 minutes or so were so boring and repetitive I just couldn’t go on

lol your brain is fried out and broken from marvel movies

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

my stepmom was telling me about the sensitivity of the horn in her rental car and i told her about the curb your enthusiasm episode where larry david has that problem. she said she'd never seen it so i said oh, it's fun, larry david is a jerk and he's always mad about silly things, you might like it

later i asked her if she'd watched it and she said oh.

oh that show.
oh no.

this is a huge class marker. like, i dont think i met anybody like that in my time in socal. met some people who sucked, sure, but not like that

although one of my close friends from LA did grow up playing in a huge castle-mansion thing, which is pretty rad. he was able to do that because his best friend's mom was the cleaning lady

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

oh absolutely it's a class marker.

stepmom is an old jewish lady who grew up dirt poor in east LA. married a very wealthy industrialist failson at 19 and became a beverly hills socialite, had the kids, held the dinner parties, drove the cadillacs, went to club med and all that. in her mid-30s one day was walking out of a clothing store on rodeo drive having just spent $12,000 on a couple of dresses and had a mental breakdown. locked herself in the car with the unassailable feeling that she was not living her right life. a few months later she left her husband (taking none of his money), applied to UCLA, got a degree in social work, moved to the woods in rural canada, and became a social worker for the extremely grim sorts of situations you find people in when you're out in the woods in rural canada.

so i totally believe that she has direct experience with the larry davids and jeff garlins of the world but she got wise to them.

she's a cool lady

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

SmokaDustbowl posted:

the only time I felt like that was the righteous gemstones, just episode after episodes of horrible people with no resolution

nah lol I just love watching danny mcbride

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQ2BXqST758

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

fart simpson posted:

lol your brain is fried out and broken from marvel movies

it’s ok if you like boring stuff. I don’t, though

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

echinopsis posted:

nah lol I just love watching danny mcbride

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQ2BXqST758

i rewatched this recently, holds up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62YqHdTBwfg

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
danny mcbride is a gift

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNmngdUaQd8

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

just started west world s3 and the nazi roleplay theme park seems kinda over the top idk

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
that was cnn.

you were watching the news

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

fart simpson posted:

just started west world s3 and the nazi roleplay theme park seems kinda over the top idk

can you give me an episode or timestamp on that?

i just remember like tigers in series 2

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

its ze resistance arc maeve is in

its not hard to miss

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
john le carré has died, age 89

dammit

if you havent seen the bbc version of "tinker tailor soldier spy" with alec guiness do yourself a favor and check it out

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

spy stories peaked before computers got fast

that adaptation of tinker tailor is outstanding also the night manager is good and a most wanted man with philip seymour hoffman

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

watched bob le flambeur and it was very good. started le doulos, but I was too sleepy so I put on the five venoms and fell asleep during that instead

it was a pretty good night

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
yeah night manager was great. Alfredson was supposed to be doing a smileys people movie but it's been in limbo forever

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Achmed Jones posted:

watched bob le flambeur and it was very good. started le doulos, but I was too sleepy so I put on the five venoms and fell asleep during that instead

it was a pretty good night
forums poster achmed jones i am glad you have been enjoying the works of j p melville. he is a particular favorite of mine and im always delighted when someone else gets turned on to him

his stuff is all 50-70 years old but when you watch it today it still comes across as razor sharp and contemporary

i wish i had more classic euro heist noir to recommend, but after riffifi and the classic melville movies my knowledge is tapped out. any yosposters out there have any suggestions for additional euro noir heist movies?

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Ronin?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
oceans eleven 2

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
i know it's not euro but tower heist is surprisingly good for those feels where the villain is just dumbfounded

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

can you give me an episode or timestamp on that?

i just remember like tigers in series 2

idk i think it was in episode 2. it was like half the episode you can’t miss it

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i haven't seen tower heist; I'll put it on the list. thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Achmed Jones posted:

i haven't seen tower heist; I'll put it on the list. thanks!

:same: