Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What system are you buying this shitheap on
PC
Playstation 4/5
whatever XBox is calling their poo poo now
WiiU
View Results

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Why is matchmaking constantly dogshit and why am I getting stuck in these sweat lobbies all the time. I'm not good!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Hot Diggity! posted:

Why is matchmaking constantly dogshit and why am I getting stuck in these sweat lobbies all the time. I'm not good!

I'm finding that I'll get absolutely kerbstomped in one match then the next I'm on the team doing the stomping. Neither is fun, but I guess just suck it up as it's the weapon grind before Warzone integration. :shrug:

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFMUvKu-bZs

ClydeFrog
Apr 13, 2007

my body is a temple to an idiot god
I also hope they put something in to zombies for when you have a ridiculous amount of essence. It seems pointless after level 40 barring the need to repurchase the odd drink.

Perhaps buying access to a ridiculous random boss level, or a juggernaut style outfit. Artillery would be hilarious as you try to persuade your team mate to lead them into just the right location...

Being able to pause is vvv good.

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.

Hot Diggity! posted:

Theophany posted:

I'm finding that I'll get absolutely kerbstomped in one match then the next I'm on the team doing the stomping. Neither is fun, but I guess just suck it up as it's the weapon grind before Warzone integration. :shrug:

The game features a pretty heavy implementation of Score-based matchmaking (or performance-based matchmaking but really people arguing for whatever name are splitting hairs) that's seen a fair amount of criticism.

I'm not really sure where I stand on the issue, to be honest - you both are totally right that thr game feels very swingy, and our group always jokes about having to get super in the zone for the next match if we have one really good game.

A lot of people calling for it to be removed seem sorta malicious about it though - they want to be able to pubstomp, basically. I'm all for an occasional big win, but that can't be fun for whatever newb you just ate - you're now just THEIR sweaty lobby of tryhards.

I guess my solution would be either

a) show everyone their secret MMR - you're still gonna get those swingy games, but at least it may be fun to be able to see yourself climb/who you're playing.

b) Implement a ranked queue or a casual mode or something - go to casual if you want your pubstomps, ranked if you want that.

I haven't seen the SBMM give me bad pings though so at least it isn't (IMO) prioritizing skill matchup TOO bad

Finally for this effortpost, don't forget that prestige level or whatever is deeeeefinitely not skill level; just time played mostly. Oh sorry I'll have a baconator combo but easy on the ketchup.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!

ClydeFrog posted:

Anyone know if extra salvage attachments stack? I've tried with and without and it's been wildly variable.

Still dumb that higher level ones give salvage but add some kind of penalty. Come on guys, this is pretty basic stuff.

And yeah SBMM has taken a wild and savage swing with my 1.5 down to 1.1 (not that it matters but it's a useful point of data to judge by) with a run of games over a few days so excruciating I retreated to zombies. I've got everything upgraded and a poo poo tonne of crystals left over so I hope they put something else in we can use them for.

I'm too scared to show my face in multiplayer. The nasty children keep hurting me.

I've won three out of ten of my last rounds but still get the sweatiest possible lobbies time after time. SBMM doesn't give me a break. Dunno why.

Last game's play of the game was someone snapping on people with an AUG and drat near getting a whole team wipe. Just incredibly quick target acquisition time.

poo poo's been stale since IW. I don't even want to pub stomp, I just want something resembling rational and consistent matchmaking instead of these absolute blowouts. Sometimes I'll have a round where I'm on top of my team, but we're still down by at least 30. I don't get it.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Capn Beeb posted:

I've won three out of ten of my last rounds but still get the sweatiest possible lobbies time after time. SBMM doesn't give me a break. Dunno why.

Last game's play of the game was someone snapping on people with an AUG and drat near getting a whole team wipe. Just incredibly quick target acquisition time.

poo poo's been stale since IW. I don't even want to pub stomp, I just want something resembling rational and consistent matchmaking instead of these absolute blowouts. Sometimes I'll have a round where I'm on top of my team, but we're still down by at least 30. I don't get it.

I think it’s less win and more your position on the scoreboard.

funkmeister
Feb 20, 2010

About your father. If it's any help, he's in the ground now. Sure, it's bad news for him. But on the other hand, it's party time for all those little worms.
which is the worst, because, yay I joined a match in progress on the pubstomped side, finish with the top (sad) score, and repeat.
s'why I toggled off dom.

dracula vladdy AF
May 6, 2011

BaronVanAwesome posted:

The game features a pretty heavy implementation of Score-based matchmaking (or performance-based matchmaking but really people arguing for whatever name are splitting hairs) that's seen a fair amount of criticism.

I'm not really sure where I stand on the issue, to be honest - you both are totally right that thr game feels very swingy, and our group always jokes about having to get super in the zone for the next match if we have one really good game.

A lot of people calling for it to be removed seem sorta malicious about it though - they want to be able to pubstomp, basically. I'm all for an occasional big win, but that can't be fun for whatever newb you just ate - you're now just THEIR sweaty lobby of tryhards.

I guess my solution would be either

a) show everyone their secret MMR - you're still gonna get those swingy games, but at least it may be fun to be able to see yourself climb/who you're playing.

b) Implement a ranked queue or a casual mode or something - go to casual if you want your pubstomps, ranked if you want that.

I haven't seen the SBMM give me bad pings though so at least it isn't (IMO) prioritizing skill matchup TOO bad

Finally for this effortpost, don't forget that prestige level or whatever is deeeeefinitely not skill level; just time played mostly. Oh sorry I'll have a baconator combo but easy on the ketchup.

This is a good post tbh you need not run the wendys gambit

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!

Kingnothing posted:

I think it’s less win and more your position on the scoreboard.

That doesn't make sense either, as more often than not I'm fourth place :shrug:

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

It's probably a fair bet that it's the same basic system as MW which was almost exclusively KDR based

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.

dracula vladdy AF posted:

This is a good post tbh you need not run the wendys gambit

Hahaha I love the idea of posting chess, always looking to set up the goatse maneuver

XclusiveAce and Drift0r (and others) had made a video talking about their "testing" for SBMM, and while I don't know if the "science" is that sound, it's at least an interesting watch into some of the findings and how it may affect players with high "skill" vs newer/low "skill" players.

You can tell my disdain for labeling people by their abilities because there's like a billion reasons why someone would be matched but yeah. As long as pings don't get hilariously bad, some gentle matchmaking for people AROUND your skill level I think is a good thing.

https://youtu.be/RcmwqIStb8M

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I’m totally fine with SBMM, I just wish it was consistent. I was partied up with a friend last night and our first match we were wildly OP for the room. Right off the jump I went 11-0, wound up with a 4.x KDR for the match and got play of the game. My friend was in second place with a 3.x kdr.

Next match I was mid-pack, with a low 1.x kdr and very middling all around. Same with my friend.

The whiplash from the SBMM might be the worst part

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I’m totally fine with SBMM, I just wish it was consistent. I was partied up with a friend last night and our first match we were wildly OP for the room. Right off the jump I went 11-0, wound up with a 4.x KDR for the match and got play of the game. My friend was in second place with a 3.x kdr.

Next match I was mid-pack, with a low 1.x kdr and very middling all around. Same with my friend.

Very much agreed - it seems to sample only your last few rounds sometimes, so it's hard to feel a sense of progression/rank going up that you'd expect from a system like it.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

TBH I wonder if that isn't at least partially intentional. I'm sure there is a lot of the playerbase that would stop playing if the SBMM was perfect and you were dead middle of thr scoreboard every match.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

That could be. I’ll admit it was fun for us to just walk through that room and crush it. Then next match we came crashing back down to earth lol

I can see it throwing you a bone every once in a while to keep people hyped up

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

Part of my issue with how the matchmaking is is that close games seem rare and blowouts both winning and losing are common. It seems like your individual performance doesn't matter more often than not.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

It honestly feels like people just aren't used to playing against a relatively large player base of full of people whose playing ability vary not only due to experience and skill, but their input device. And that "wild swings" between rounds is how it might go even without "SBMM overcorrection?"

There are many more variables to how one might perform against a diverse group of opponents other than simply, "I'm better than them"--whatever metric that is. Your team could be full of folks who are tilted, usually are great but are currently working on unlocking x camo, you might be playing like poo poo but unwilling to admit it, the other team has positioning advantage that could have easily gone the other way, etc. But, no, the expectation is "I should always find matches where I can play the same way I always do (or with my new nifty gun build), with little resistance, and nearly always win," not, "I expect to win some very easily, some with a lot of effort, lose some, and sometimes get stomped on." No system can guarantee the level of consistency that's expected.

By what measure would SBMM be considered successful? If every game is a "sweaty mess," to me, it sounds like the system is working. If you play one game and do well, and then the next two you get stomped on, then win the next two easily, it sounds like the system is working. To what degree or how it achieves this is questionable, but self-reported frustration with the system is by nature always biased in reporting the wins vs. the losses. Right now, I am sitting at 1.0 W/L, which fits.

Of course, all of this relates to solo queuing. Teams are a whole 'nother story. It seems like SBMM doesn't even come into play when there are parties searching for games, inevitably favoring putting two parties against each other. Which makes sense, I guess, and I don't know how the hell you account for things like that. I don't normally encounter full teams if I solo queue. When I play with others, the games are ALWAYS challenging, and it's ALWAYS against a similarly sized party + randoms.

Hot Diggity! posted:

Part of my issue with how the matchmaking is is that close games seem rare and blowouts both winning and losing are common. It seems like your individual performance doesn't matter more often than not.

See, if I play with others, it's ALWAYS a close game. Never a blow out, just a giant "sweat fest" as players from both teams will complain after the game is over. Getting one where we get stomped or vice versa is rare, in my experience, in this context.

Prowler fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Dec 14, 2020

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Maybe I'm old but I truly don't understand the Twitch/Reddit push about the term sweaty; it's an online PVP game, if you don't try to win you won't win. Why is that "sweaty"? If you wanna just chill with friends and not try and improve or whatever there's also zombies for some PVE.

If there's any playlist or mode that's going to say it's not competitive then everyone that's at all good will just use that mode to destroy everyone and pretend that 400 hours of practice wasn't "sweaty" or whatever.

Again I'm old though so gently caress maybe it's me and not the kids who are wrong.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

I’m old too playing this game and the whole sweaty thing is so cringe. Comedy response is that these children are coddled since birth and can’t handle actual adversity.

Anyways if people are playing dirty bomb add me I am getting aneurisms playing with pubs. Activision id should be kri kri

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Does 12v12 have more relaxed SBMM? I watch two 3 k/d PC streamers and they get VTOLS and Gunships almost every game. Sometimes they play with friends, but they’re not getting constant UAVS from them. Hell Sandy Ravage is drunk most of the time and he makes this game look so easy.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Mill Village posted:

Does 12v12 have more relaxed SBMM? I watch two 3 k/d PC streamers and they get VTOLS and Gunships almost every game. Sometimes they play with friends, but they’re not getting constant UAVS from them. Hell Sandy Ravage is drunk most of the time and he makes this game look so easy.

No one is going into 12 v 12 with a full team of 12, and even a best-case scenario where everyone on the team is interested in communicating and tagging, it's 12 people. You're a lot more likely to get a bunch of random strays who join--sometimes in-progress, get wrecked constantly, and make getting score streaks easy. If you look at the bottom of the leaderboards, you'll see the dregs hitting -16 deaths or worse to their kills--if they even stick around long enough to note how much the other team bled.

People tend to use "ground war" types to rack up kills. I'm guilty of going into Dirty Bomb earlier today and terrorizing everyone with a helicopter. Got the medal for wiping an entire 4-person squad, which is nice, and went 30-16 or something while losing horribly (hey, we detonated at least one bomb, and I joined in progress, dangit).

Prowler fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Dec 14, 2020

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!

Prowler posted:

By what measure would SBMM be considered successful? If every game is a "sweaty mess," to me, it sounds like the system is working. If you play one game and do well, and then the next two you get stomped on, then win the next two easily, it sounds like the system is working. To what degree or how it achieves this is questionable, but self-reported frustration with the system is by nature always biased in reporting the wins vs. the losses. Right now, I am sitting at 1.0 W/L, which fits.

Of course, all of this relates to solo queuing. Teams are a whole 'nother story. It seems like SBMM doesn't even come into play when there are parties searching for games, inevitably favoring putting two parties against each other. Which makes sense, I guess, and I don't know how the hell you account for things like that. I don't normally encounter full teams if I solo queue. When I play with others, the games are ALWAYS challenging, and it's ALWAYS against a similarly sized party + randoms.

Checked my record, and I've won one of the last 10 rounds. Dunno, I just know I'm tired of getting nowhere slowly regardless of what I do and the second I have a decent round, the game swings over into thinking I'm a clairvoyant demigod.

As for solo queue, I get the same results solo or playing with a friend whereas they get a pretty different experience when they're solo :iiam:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

I just got around to finishing the singleplayer campaign and it was... actually pretty good? I mean, it's CoD so you're already grading on a curve, but it genuinely did a good job. Decent variety of missions, a couple fun riddles on the side, and a reasonably effectivestory. The finale in particular was quite creative with some nice visuals.

it shriveled up
Jun 28, 2004

I love how they seem to break these games every time they do an update. Keep getting errors and can't get into a match on either CW, MW or WZ. loving ridiculous.

ClydeFrog
Apr 13, 2007

my body is a temple to an idiot god
So.... I bought the deluxe edition that should have come with the battle pass and 20 Tier Skips and the only option when I press Claim Battle Pass & 20 Tier Skip Tokens is to buy it in the store using my remaining COD points. Anyone else having this problem?

I did wonder if they were doing this by giving us the points in order to purchase it but the Tier Skip version is 2400 and I only have 1700.... Ugh

ClydeFrog fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Dec 16, 2020

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

ClydeFrog posted:

So.... I bought the deluxe edition that should have come with the battle pass and 20 Tier Skips and the only option when I press Claim Battle Pass & 20 Tier Skip Tokens is to buy it in the store using my remaining COD points. Anyone else having this problem?

I did wonder if they were doing this by giving us the points in order to purchase it but the Tier Skip version is 2400 and I only have 1700.... Ugh

What happens if you go to Battle Pass and press R

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
I can't believe someone spent time making Prop Hunt.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Less Fat Luke posted:

It’s a fun game mode that’s been around (in various forms) for over 20 years. Sometimes it’s nice to take a break from traditional FPS gameplay.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Mill Village posted:

It’s a fun game mode that’s been around (in various forms) for over 20 years. Sometimes it’s nice to take a break from traditional FPS gameplay.

I think I'd enjoy it if it wasn't up to 6 rounds honestly, it's way too long.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

Less Fat Luke posted:

Prop hunt rocks

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
I honestly want more dumb modes in these games

Instrumedley
Aug 13, 2009
Is this game worth $40 for the campaign and faster weapon upgrades for Warzone?

Haven't played previous Call of Duty campaigns except for Modern Warfare so not sure if I'll understand the story fully. Just looking for a short campaign to enjoy.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
It's reasonably short and I liked it well enough but it's hard to say it's worth 40 dollars. I guess so would be my final answer.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

If you like 80s spy action popcorn movies then it's worth it if you are going to play the multiplayer also.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

It's worth $40, I think. You could also buy https://store.steampowered.com/app/1356670/Sakuna_Of_Rice_and_Ruin/ for $40.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Somehow made a double post. Whoooops.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

The campaign is just dumb spy thriller stuff other than a couple small callbacks that don't fundamentally change the plot. It is entertaining enough as long as you bear in mind that it is tongue in cheek. It isn't as lovely as Modern Warfare with the "oops accidentally signed off on American soldiers killing whoever they want as long as they super want to do it, also assigning major war crimes we did to russia" stuff. Overall 7/10, I bought it at $40 on sale and I'm fairly happy with that price point.

Honestly you'd be better off not playing the previous games because they kind of recycle a major plot point so don't look up summaries.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Thinking prop hunt is bad is easily the hottest take I've ever seen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

It reset my prestige when I was at 49. Goddamn.