Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Edge & Christian posted:

Midnight Express was a pretty big movie in 1978, though not one that has much of an obvious connection to the wrestling gimmick, according to Wikipedia:
So you can chalk that up to the grand tradition of "something sounds cool, let's just use it unmoored from its previous connotations."

The Midnight Express formed in the summer of 1981, and the Rock N Roll Express came along in 1983 and I believe just borrowed "Express" from the Midnights because they were a hot tag team.

That same year in Florida, Barry Windham and Mike Rotundo started feuding with "The Zambuie Express" (Leroy Brown and Randy Candy wrestling as "Elijah Akeem and Kareem Muhammad" in a.... "What if Mister T were two people who wore camo and maybe hinted at being part of the Nation of Islam?" gimmick"). Possibly coincidentally, Windham and Rotundo were called the US Express a year or so later when they jumped to WWF. Within a few more years, you got the Can-Am Express, the Orient Express, etc. and "Express" just became like a buzzword for tag teams regardless of if it made sense or not.

Brad Armstrong and Tim Horner were known as "The Lightning Express"

When they were first put together, Shawn Michaels and Marty Jannetty were going to be called ... "The American Express". Thankfully, they managed to get "The Midnight Rockers" approved instead.

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Nov 30, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Golden Bee posted:

The 70s and 80s also loved the word connection, the best one being the “miracle violence connection.”

I dunno, I was always partial to The Colossal Connection.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Davros1 posted:

Brad Armstrong and Tim Horner were known as "The Lightning Express"
If they didn't use this as their entrance music there was a mistake

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISN5y_vGiP0

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Red posted:

The Can-Am Connection

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005
The Rock and Sock Connection

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

The East-West Connection (Jesse Ventura and Adrian Adonis)

And then when Ventura was forced to retire due to health issues, Adonis teamed with Dick Murdoch as The North-South Connection.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Davros1 posted:

The Can-Am Connection

But the Can-Am Express was vastly superior

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Red posted:

This only because Mean Gene called them the Colostomy Connection at WM6

Red
Apr 15, 2003

I have a couple of questions:

1. A couple people sued WCW for discrimination - Sonny Onoo, Bobby Walker, etc. Which were legitimate, and which weren't? Did they push Booker in response to the Walker lawsuit?

2. When Jerry Lawler first joined the WWF, was he planned to wrestle full time, and it just worked out that he ended up announcing, or was the part-time wrestling/full-time announcing thing always the plan?

3. Did Randy Savage have any good (****+) singles matches after he left the WWF?

4. Any reason why Sting left the WWE's legends contract deal?

5. Has Vince held on to a grudge for more than 30 years (current as of today) with anyone other than Nailz and Ole Anderson?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Red posted:

I have a couple of questions:

1. A couple people sued WCW for discrimination - Sonny Onoo, Bobby Walker, etc. Which were legitimate, and which weren't? Did they push Booker in response to the Walker lawsuit?

2. When Jerry Lawler first joined the WWF, was he planned to wrestle full time, and it just worked out that he ended up announcing, or was the part-time wrestling/full-time announcing thing always the plan?

3. Did Randy Savage have any good (****+) singles matches after he left the WWF?

4. Any reason why Sting left the WWE's legends contract deal?

5. Has Vince held on to a grudge for more than 30 years (current as of today) with anyone other than Nailz and Ole Anderson?

Basically all of the WCW lawsuits were legitimate, the company was extremely racist! Sonny Onoo had the least compelling case since he was Bischoff's friend and kind of part of the reason for it, (as he was an unqualified grifter who was working off of some of these stereotypes, but even he faced anti-Asian racism above and beyond whatever stereotypes he was portraying) and some of the wrestlers who were discriminated against never sued, but there weren't really illegitimate cases. Management was incredibly racist and expressed views that they didn't think black or Mexican wrestlers could draw.

Savage had some good matches in WCW with DDP, maybe not ****+ but close.

MassRafTer fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Nov 30, 2020

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

forkboy84 posted:

4 time WCW Champion J-E-Double F J-A-Double R-E-Double T. His first 3 title reigns amounted to a combined 17 days as champion.
JJ was undoubtedly the worst champion of all time, and the way he was booked was terrible. His championship reigns in WCW and WWE were terribly booked, becaue they involved the audience having to see his face, hear his voice, watch him wrestle, and be reminded that he exists. (I apologize for doing the latter with this reply.)

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Red posted:

Based on Meltzer Stars, Great American Bash 1995 vs. Flair (****) is his best WCW singles match, though there are several more with Flair (and a few with DDP) that are all in the 3.25-3.75 range.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Red posted:

When Jerry Lawler first joined the WWF, was he planned to wrestle full time, and it just worked out that he ended up announcing, or was the part-time wrestling/full-time announcing thing always the plan?

Pretty sure his deal was always full-time announcing and part time wrestling. He was still working/running Memphis and I don't think he wanted to give that up.

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

Can someone tell me more about Chaparita Asari? I know she has nice flips and lost an impressive squash match against Aja Kong.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

TL posted:

Pretty sure his deal was always full-time announcing and part time wrestling. He was still working/running Memphis and I don't think he wanted to give that up.

They were also probably not going to push him too hard since Lawler is like, 5'7

Red
Apr 15, 2003

MassRafTer posted:

Basically all of the WCW lawsuits were legitimate, the company was extremely racist! Sonny Onoo had the least compelling case since he was Bischoff's friend and kind of part of the reason for it, (as he was an unqualified grifter who was working off of some of these stereotypes, but even he faced anti-Asian racism above and beyond whatever stereotypes he was portraying) and some of the wrestlers who were discriminated against never sued, but there weren't really illegitimate cases. Management was incredibly racist and expressed views that they didn't think black or Mexican wrestlers could draw.

Savage had some good matches in WCW with DDP, maybe not ****+ but close.

Was Booker T's singles push a response to the Walker lawsuit or lawsuits in general?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Red posted:

Was Booker T's singles push a response to the Walker lawsuit or lawsuits in general?

That was generally passed around as a theory, but WCW was also bleeding major talent at the time

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

Red posted:

A couple people sued WCW for discrimination - Sonny Onoo, Bobby Walker, etc. Which were legitimate, and which weren't? Did they push Booker in response to the Walker lawsuit?
To expand on what MRT said...

It was a lot more than a couple. One of these days, I need to do a proper article about it, maybe when the new podcast is going and I do an episode or episodes on it, but the gist is this:

* The big series of lawsuits (they were all technically separate cases docketed individually, but depositions etc covered all of the cases), led by Sonny Onoo and Bobby Walker with Cary Ichter as lead attorney, came in ~2000ish. Joining Onoo and Walker were Thunderbolt Patterson, Hardbody Harrison, Pez Whatley I think, and mix of half a dozen guys who either trained at the Power Plant, got a tryout, and/or were rejected for a tryout. Stevie Ray and Ernest Miller would sue later with Ichter as their lawyer but I don't think they were grouped together with the other suits, though I don't know why. According to Ichter, every single wrestler who stuck with the case got a settlement, and while he obviously can't disclose the amount himself, it's always been reported that each wrestler got in excess of $1 million. (TBS's stated corporate ethos and how they conflict with the actual institutional racial issues in the company seem like the most obvious reason for why they fought the suit for so long after WCW's assets were sold, even though they had an absolute loser of a case.)

* Like MRT said, WCW was so institutionally racist—according to Ichter, as bad as any company he's ever seen in his many years of doing discrimination litigation—that anyone BIPOC coming into contact with them probably had a legitimate case. And whatever you want to say about Onoo and the character he played, he was still subjected to racism far beyond that (the "Chinese menu" email forward that got printed out/posted on the office bulletin board and featured items like "Cum Drop Soup" being the most famous example). And unlike the others, he was also alleging that he was misclassified as an independent contractor because of his race, the main argument being that Jimmy Hart had been granted employee status even though they both had similar roles in the office, with Onoo even having a corporate credit card.

There are some asterisks, though, with the big one being Rick Reeves (not to be confused with "Hard Rock" Ricky Reeves from the JCP era; this guy debuted in 1992). He never did any work for WCW and WCW's lawyers stressed that there was no evidence he reached out beyond his own claims that he repeatedly made inquiries for years. But he did allege that racist comments were made some of the times he was rejected, and we know from other stuff in the case, including the testimony of non-parties, that something like that isn't remotely a stretch.

* There's testimony about Booker getting the belt being in response to the lawsuits, but I can't find it right now.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Is the "they made out like bandits" comment that's often used to dismiss the lawsuits as frivolous from Alvarez/Death of WCW or someone else?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

davidbix posted:

To expand on what MRT said...

It was a lot more than a couple. One of these days, I need to do a proper article about it, maybe when the new podcast is going and I do an episode or episodes on it, but the gist is this:

* The big series of lawsuits (they were all technically separate cases docketed individually, but depositions etc covered all of the cases), led by Sonny Onoo and Bobby Walker with Cary Ichter as lead attorney, came in ~2000ish. Joining Onoo and Walker were Thunderbolt Patterson, Hardbody Harrison, Pez Whatley I think, and mix of half a dozen guys who either trained at the Power Plant, got a tryout, and/or were rejected for a tryout. Stevie Ray and Ernest Miller would sue later with Ichter as their lawyer but I don't think they were grouped together with the other suits, though I don't know why. According to Ichter, every single wrestler who stuck with the case got a settlement, and while he obviously can't disclose the amount himself, it's always been reported that each wrestler got in excess of $1 million. (TBS's stated corporate ethos and how they conflict with the actual institutional racial issues in the company seem like the most obvious reason for why they fought the suit for so long after WCW's assets were sold, even though they had an absolute loser of a case.)

* Like MRT said, WCW was so institutionally racist—according to Ichter, as bad as any company he's ever seen in his many years of doing discrimination litigation—that anyone BIPOC coming into contact with them probably had a legitimate case. And whatever you want to say about Onoo and the character he played, he was still subjected to racism far beyond that (the "Chinese menu" email forward that got printed out/posted on the office bulletin board and featured items like "Cum Drop Soup" being the most famous example). And unlike the others, he was also alleging that he was misclassified as an independent contractor because of his race, the main argument being that Jimmy Hart had been granted employee status even though they both had similar roles in the office, with Onoo even having a corporate credit card.

There are some asterisks, though, with the big one being Rick Reeves (not to be confused with "Hard Rock" Ricky Reeves from the JCP era; this guy debuted in 1992). He never did any work for WCW and WCW's lawyers stressed that there was no evidence he reached out beyond his own claims that he repeatedly made inquiries for years. But he did allege that racist comments were made some of the times he was rejected, and we know from other stuff in the case, including the testimony of non-parties, that something like that isn't remotely a stretch.

* There's testimony about Booker getting the belt being in response to the lawsuits, but I can't find it right now.

Ugh.

I wonder if Batista being rejected by the Power Plant is related.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

Red posted:

Ugh.

I wonder if Batista being rejected by the Power Plant is related.
I doubt it. It was just the usual deal where they overdid the calisthenics at the tryout to run off bodybuilders. I mean, it wouldn't shock me, but they seemed to take more pleasure in tormenting the non-white trainees after accepting them into the program than they would have in running them off for not being white.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

TV Zombie posted:

Was Master Wato ever good? I thought he was a well regarded young lion and that there was a desire for him to come back from excursion but now, he’s a joke right?

Master Wato is only a baby. He is as young as the two younger young lions (Shota and Ren) in the class after him. When he was a YL he was extremely sympathetic which is an easy way to look good as a YL because a big part of being a YL is getting the poo poo beat out of you. The gimmick is silly but lots of New Japan gimmicks start silly and the wrestler grows into it and makes it his own. When Jay got the switchblade gimmick Gedo just said "you are sharp...like a switchblade" and Jay had to work it out until he nailed it.

He will be fine. I think he is trying too much in ring and he is a bit clumsy. He almost killed Robbie with some crazy suplex. He just needs to calm down a bit but he has a future.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

I don't recall this person in WWE, but Sabu had a muscle-y manager named Super Genie?

https://twitter.com/TherealRVD/status/1327386903520313350

Also, wrestlers need a union, because holy cow is she hosed.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Red posted:

I don't recall this person in WWE, but Sabu had a muscle-y manager named Super Genie?

She was in OVW and DSW under developmental contracts

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Red posted:

yeaaaah i shared an uber with her and sabu comin back from mania in nj their relationship seemed...weird.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
So is Pat Patterson getting a loving tribute that omits any mention of the sexual harassment allegations against him? I haven't seen a flood of tribute episodes in my podcast feed or anything.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Burn Down Canberra posted:

Master Wato is only a baby. He is as young as the two younger young lions (Shota and Ren) in the class after him. When he was a YL he was extremely sympathetic which is an easy way to look good as a YL because a big part of being a YL is getting the poo poo beat out of you. The gimmick is silly but lots of New Japan gimmicks start silly and the wrestler grows into it and makes it his own. When Jay got the switchblade gimmick Gedo just said "you are sharp...like a switchblade" and Jay had to work it out until he nailed it.

He will be fine. I think he is trying too much in ring and he is a bit clumsy. He almost killed Robbie with some crazy suplex. He just needs to calm down a bit but he has a future.

Voice of Wrestling Twitter has mentioned that the crowds being only to clap is making it hard for Wato and Oka to judge crowd reaction in terms of what's actually working. Thus they're trying to tweak characters without the usual feedback they'd be getting from crowds. So I'm not ready to write Wato and O'kharn off yet

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
What was the deal between Killer Kross and Impact Wrestling? Why wouldn't they release him from his contract? Was this Callis and D'Amore's doing?

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I was thinking the other day how wild it is that The Rock was able to get his eyebrow over. What are some of the strangest things that wrestlers have gotten over?

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Shard posted:

I was thinking the other day how wild it is that The Rock was able to get his eyebrow over. What are some of the strangest things that wrestlers have gotten over?

a sock hidden in the wrestler's own pants

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

Shard posted:

a dumb black and white stuffed cat that looks nothing like a cat

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

wrestlers having to do diarrhea or getting diarrhea all over them always gets a huge pop

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Shard posted:

Was “HEAD” truly ever over? Or Moppy?

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

Was “HEAD” truly ever over? Or Moppy?

moppy no, head... maybe? I'm going to say al snow was more popular with it than he would have been without it

I believe in my heart Perry Saturn could've been doing better things though

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Shard posted:

what

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo
Cussing, though it is amoral, impolite, and shameful

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon
Head was very over and popular with people, even outside of wrestling

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Shard posted:

Jericho is of course a master of getting random crap over. A potted plant, some paper (multiple times in his career), saying ”it”, not saying anything...

Taichi has gotten over pants being removed.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

This may not be the best place for this as it's more of a recommendation request than a question, but I just got Dragongate Network after not following since somewhere in 2015-16, what are some shows I should check out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Lunatic Sledge posted:

I believe in my heart Perry Saturn could've been doing better things though

Perhaps, but then, he probably shouldn’t have taken liberties with Mike Bell like an unprofessional jackass.