Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

FeyerbrandX posted:

The truth finally comes out!

how did you not know this already

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Chokes McGee posted:

how did you not know this already

Look, you are assuming an awful lot of reading of these something awful dot com forums.

:justpost:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Anias posted:

Look, you are assuming an awful lot of reading of these something awful dot com forums.

:justpost:

I scream into the void with my LPs, hoping the echos will come back to me as lols :geno:

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

I'm old enough to have played 1E but my books are in storage somewhere. What's Str 23 under the hood?

Must be something like +4-5 To Hit and +10 to Damage?

Edit: Much more importantly what's the bend bars/lift gates percentage? :colbert:

Deptfordx fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Dec 5, 2020

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

For some reason I keep my 1E books on my bookshelf, so...

+5/+11/90%, assuming it is a Girdle of Cloud Giant Strength. If it was Storm Giant as it is apparently supposed to be, it'd be +6/+12/100%.

These also give you a 5/6 and 7/8 chance (respectively) of being able to straight up Kool-Aid Man open "locked, barred, or magically held doors", though you only get one shot at trying, as per the Law of Double Disarming Jeopardy, Subsection 4, additional clause 'Doors'.

Fun note: this information wasn't in the strength table in the 1E PHB, that only goes up to 18/00. No, it's in the magical item descriptions in the DMG.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Ouch.

Combine that with a +3 weapon and that's a lot of damage for 1E.

That's one shotting an Ogre with a single hit and most adult Dragons with 3.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Deptfordx posted:

Ouch.

Combine that with a +3 weapon and that's a lot of damage for 1E.

That's one shotting an Ogre with a single hit and most adult Dragons with 3.

Yeah. Hanover right now can loving bulldoze enemies with 20+ damage on multiple hits.

dmwyvern
Dec 3, 2020

DM Wyvern's Lair:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJDElF5ftbahaL2nseoueeQ

Chokes McGee posted:

Yeah. Hanover right now can loving bulldoze enemies with 20+ damage on multiple hits.

Hey Chokes! Just starting to read through your LP. Awesome stuff!

I was sure to link your thread in the introduction to my own YouTube LP. Looking forward to the rest of your adventure!

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

dmwyvern posted:

Hey Chokes! Just starting to read through your LP. Awesome stuff!

I was sure to link your thread in the introduction to my own YouTube LP. Looking forward to the rest of your adventure!

:hai:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Final chapter of Curse is written up. Content extraction's going to be a little trickier this time since there's a lot more photoshops involved, but it should be out fairly soon. Then, on to Blades!

Yep. Excited. :geno:

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Ditto. Sincere. ;D

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Curse of the Azure Bonds, Chapter 16: Godderdammitrung

Welcome back to the Gold Box Adventures. Well, it's that time. Let's go fight us a final boss.

Gotta admit, this is a great idea.

You know it! Sneak in through the sewers, ambush him through the side door, beat him to chunks before he can activate the bonds. Nothing could possibly go wrong.

Something went wrong.

Aw, nuts.

Journal Entry 48 posted:

You have done well, my pets. The three artifacts that can do me harm are now in my possession. More importantly, the bonds you wear can act as the Pool of Radiance does. With them I can transfer into any of your bodies and use it for as long as I need to. Then, should the body be killed, I can transfer through the bond and back to the Pool-or to another of your bodies. I must thank you for the great freedom you have afforded me. Now come along and we will dispose of those dangerous objects.

That, uh, doesn't sound great.

All glory to the Hypnobonds!

Heather? We're not possessed yet.

Like, he's just going to do it anyway.

You don't know ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOBONDS.

:smug:

Whuh oh.

Oh rly.

Yes, all I'd have to do is read this scroll, and you'd be released.

Now I will put it in the Pool of Radiance, where you definitely can't get it.

Nothing whatsoever could go wrong with this plan.

OH MY BANE I CAN'T BEEEEELIEVE IT, HOW COULD THIS HAVE POSSSSSIBLY HAPPENED

I'm starting to think you're as dumb as we are.

Shut it.

ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOBONDS (seriously though you're bad)

Should we feel bad about that?

He made those goddamn things on our arms. As far as I'm concerned, good riddance.

Oh. Um.

This... this isn't quite what I planned.

:catstare:

RUUUUUUUUUUUUN

Well... here's Tyranthraxus. He falls for the biggest sucker play on the planet, then gets spooked and cheeses it. Remember when he was trying to organize armies of kobolds to take over a city? I'm starting to think our evil mastermind is actually a big fat idiot.

I'll be goddamned! The rakshakas delivered! At least, I think this is the rakshakas. It may be the Knights of Myth Drannor trying to get in, which is apparently a thing. The Knights, not the trying to get in. Or maybe both? Hell if I know.

The important thing is, the next fight is going to be much less of a pain in the rear end. It's just margoyles, hellhounds, and a High Priest. Take the priest out, and we might as well hit autopilot for the rest.

That could've been a lot—

No

Yeah, you're right. I have to stop doing that.

Doin' what?

Always saying how things could be worse OH NO

:grin:

Oh you.

Here we have two priests. This is a problem.

It's nothing a couple of Rezen fireballs can't cure, but therein lies the rub. In most dungeons—even those choked by enemeies—you can camp. It's a huge risk, but you still have a chance of topping off your spells and (F)ixing before you go on. You can save scum a little bit to get it to work, which gets you a lot farther than trying to plow your way through. The problem with that is it's now completely off the menu. If you attempt to (C)amp here and do anything that requires time passing, you'll be informed that your bonds won't allow you to rest. That's right: you have to one-shot this whole section and beat Tyranthraxus, with magic users hounding you the entire way.

I mean, it is the last level. I may not like it, but I understand it.

Priests of Bane in this fight. They're not nearly as heavily armored as High Priests, so a few Magic Missles will keep them busy until our fighters get there. Like I said, we can't just toss fireballs nonstop, or we're going to be real hosed when we get to the end of the line.

south

Huh. So that's how that works.

I am blessing everyone harder than I have ever blessed before.

Same, but Haste.

omigodyouguysIthinkwe'retotallyreadytobeatTyranthraxuseeeee

Maybe not that hard.

Maybe not.

'Sup, asshat. Let's see you control us after that scroll got used.

Sure thing.

...this is, perhaps, a turn of events I should've expected.

ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOBONDS.

:worship:

ALL... GLORY... Y'know what? This is dumb as hell.

?!

I wrecked a space station, went back in time, and beat the poo poo out of dinosaurs. I'm not fuckin' bowin' down because somebody put a tattoo on my arm.

Hey, wait a minute! I already had a tattoo! That means I don't have to pay attention to the new ones, right?

I guess?

Hi, yeah. What is going on right now, exactly?

THE POWER OF SHORT ATTENTION SPAN COMPELS YOU

Oh, it will, will it?

You... didn't know that. Did you.

Nope!

Seriously, how are you so loving bad at this?

SHUT UP I'M AN EVIL OVERLORD OK

Just terrible.

Well, here we are: Tyranthraxus and about forty plus of his closest friends. We're looking at ~35 margoyles, around 10 High Priests, and, of course, the T-Man himself.

Yo, probie! Remember how I told you to never cross the streams?

...no?

Time to cross the streams!

WOOB WOOB WOOB

KERPLOOIE

GERSPLOCCCCCH

:hf:

To the surprise of absolutely no one, our opening gambit is to fireball so hard it can be seen from the Far Realms. Obvo it doesn't touch their boss, but it still knocks out a bunch of margoyles and, more importantly, shuts down all the priests. Yes, everything seems to be under control. All we have to do is keep casting spells. Nothing could go wrong with this.

oh no

*explode*

Boom! Headshot.

OH MY GODS I CAN'T BEEEEEEELIVE THIS, HOW COULD THIS HAVE POSSSSSIBLY HAPPENED

So, that body Tyranthraxus is the proud new owner of? It's a loving storm giant. That means High-T can huck Lightning Bolts every single round the same way dragons breathe fire. Those things are racial abilities, so the damage is far beyond anything a mage would do with a similar spell. I honestly have no idea how Hanover is still standing after a double hit of that. While I'm at it, I have no idea how Tyranthraxus was able to conceal himself as a normal sized human. Maybe he was standing in a hole with shoes on his knees, Dorf style.

Sune above! Somebody do something before he does that again!

Headband, you're up! Do that thing you do!

NOW IS GOTTERDAMMERUNG, TWILIGHT OF THE GODS

ow ow ow ow I mean INSECT! NO MORTAL MAN CAN DEFEAT ME!

I AM NO MAN

Like, you're sure about that?

SHUT UP ABOUT MY JAW

Hell yeah! We floored Tyranthraxus! The rest of this should be smooth sailing.

Okay, maybe a few bumps along the way.

Hmm. Well, still, it's the last fight. A couple of people unconscious isn't too—

Okay, we're in deep poo poo.

Uh. Everything okay over there?

Just peachy! Everything's under control!

Everything was not under control.

Okay, that priest broke containment. This is now a five alarm fire. We need to do something right loving now.

*vrrrrt* *sprrrrr*

C'mon start up START UP

*vvrrrrRRRRMMMMM*

crap crap crap

CRAP CRAP CRAP

We are sputtering and wheezing our way towards the finish line right now. It's all down to Rezen. This is not the least bit concerning. No sir.

Fortunately, Sternn was using a Stinking Cloud as cover before he ate it, and this Margoyle has paralyzed itself. Only thing left to deal with is that High Priest.

Draw, pilgrim. :clint:

pew pew

Argh! You got me.

And done.

ngggh hrrg

...did we win?

Sure did!

Hell yeah. Great job, short stuff.

BEWARE, I LIVE STILL

A Talking Hat?!

Woulda been good to know that crap did ahead of time.

Like, when do we ever make plans?

Got a point, li'l lady.

Oh, screw this. Hold this amulet for me.

Justine?

The stupid pool's in a vase. I'm just going to dump it over.

Keep the Gauntlet of Moander away from there! You will unleash dangerous energies!

Oh? This Gauntlet? The one we didn't know did anything except barf directions?

So bad at this.

SHUT UP I'LL SHOW YOU

ack

OH NO

get it off get it off NO DON'T yes do

Mixed signals here.

CRAP CRAP SOMEONE DISTRACT HER WHILE I FIGURE THIS GAUNTLET OUT

KILL ME AND KILL YOUR FRIEND. IT MAKES NO DIFFERENCE TO ME.

Rezen said to distract her! What do we do to distract her?!

*grab*

*smooch*

That'd do it.

Yo, short stuff! We got her distracted! You ready to do your thing?

Yes. Yes, I am.

Aw crap.

And stay out. :colbert:

:bubblewoop:

Hail, heroes of the realm! Long have we waited for a champion to OH MY GOD WHAT HAPPENED IN HERE

Us. We happened.

THE SMELL OF BURNT FLESH, IT WILL HAUNT ME THE REST OF MY DAYS

:barf:

'Nother successful adventure wrapped up.

:hai:

Rezen, I had no idea you wielded power like that. I'm starting to understand why you do what you do.

Yeah, it's for the greater good. I just get carried away sometimes.

Well, I hope from now on you give a little more thought as to the consequences of your actions.

Hey, you guys seen the boss anywhere?

*smooch*

I'm not sure what I'm even looking at here. Like, I'm looking at it, but my brain doesn't know what it is.

Aw, let 'em have their fun.

It's been a long ride, you guys, but I really appreciate everything you've done.

You're talking like we're not going to see each other again.

We're not. I think I can use the ring and gauntlet to get us home.

*drop*

WHAT

omigod omigod finally

Gather around, everyone! And... thanks for everything.

Yeah, yeah. Just get me the gently caress back to my lab so I can sleep for like a week straight.

Just gotta fiddle with this thing and twiddle this bit of reality aaaaaand...

...anybody else feel that?

Is that an invitation? :pervert:

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

And that's it! We made it through Curse of the Azure Bonds, and we've hit the halfway point on our LP. The train isn't stopping here, though. We're 100% on board for the most boring destination on the planet that isn't located in Idaho, so tune in next time, when we begrudingly crack the seal on...

...lemon curry?

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
Thanks for yet another incredible LP, Chokes! Though I am deeply afraid to learn the "secret" of the silver blades.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
Ah, SotSB, aka Ice Corridors the Game.

At least, having defeated Tyranthraxus so decisively, you get to face a different, completely forgettable end-boss. Hooray?

Glad you're continuing with the LP. Nothing could possibly go wrong!

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Oh poo poo, LP's continuing! Thanks for the ride so far, Chokes, I am QUITE interested to see where this goes next.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

quote:

We're 100% on board for the most boring destination on the planet that isn't located in Idaho

Having been to Idaho, can confirm. It's nothing but boredom and Mormons, and do you know what we get when the two combine?

Boremons

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

If I could somehow vote this thread a 6/5 I'd do it! I'm glad the chainsaw made an appearance!

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Idaho is gorgeous though which is a big plus in it's favor compared to ICETUBE.game which we are about to experience. (Chokes you're the best.)

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Nemo2342 posted:

Thanks for yet another incredible LP, Chokes! Though I am deeply afraid to learn the "secret" of the silver blades.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMUEFZXkmDA

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
This was great, don't feel like you must LP the next one. Take a break.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

habituallyred posted:

This was great, don't feel like you must LP the next one. Take a break.

i will never log off

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Truly the chainsaw is mightier than the hat

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.
I wonder if the Terrible Secret of the Silver Blades involves stairs.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
ROFL at the incompetence of our Big Bad. And good job with the tension on that final fight. Looking forward to Secret of the Silver Blades. That’s going to be a doozy of a game to get through. Those who don’t know why will find out soon enough.

Realms Lore- When I talked about Myth Drannor a while back, I neglected to mention the resident order of Knights who patrol the area. They’re your typical order of mid to high level adventurers, paladins and fighters mostly, with a few priests and mages, all good aligned. Ostensibly they hang out in the environs of Myth Drannor, one of the biggest monster-infested areas in this part of the Realms, to keep the local monster population in check and prevent any seriously dangerous stuff like demon summoning rituals from happening. In practice, they usually arrive too late to do much about said dangerous activities and the Realms are lucky whatever independent adventurers are involved in the situation got there first. This game is no exception. The Kingdom of Cormyr is a big sponsor of the Knights of Myth Drannor, as is Shadowdale. Thus Nacacia and the rest of the Cormyr Royal Family, and Elminster- Shadowdale’s resident super mage- have significant influence over them. Other powerful organizations in the area either work around the Knights (Hillsfar) or oppose them while spreading disinformation and doing other subversive stuff (Zhentarim, Church of Bane). Most adventurers also work around them- the Knights generally discourage exploration of Myth Drannor but they don’t outright forbid it. They’re not large or powerful enough for that. However, they can serve as a handy DM tool to rescue adventurers in Myth Drannor who get in over their heads, or as an ally in serious situations involving the ancient ruins. We saw that in this game.

NPC Catch-up- Nameless did not officially die here, unsurprisingly. In Realms canon, he goes on to help slay the god Moander and himself become a minor god of creativity and inspiration. But that’s a few years down the road and he won’t be seen in Gold Box Games again. Neither will most of the other ally NPCs we met in this game- I can only think of three we’ll see again in the two games Chokes has yet to cover. Would have been nice to see Alias and Dragonbait, or at least Olive, there at the end. Oh well.

See y’all again when we start Secret of the Silver Blades!

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
Congratulations on laying another game to rest beneath the soothing hum of Rezen's chainsaw!

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Grats on getting through another LP! And seriously consider taking a break if the next game is going to be as much of a slog as everyone makes it sound like.

. . . were we clued into Nameless at some point and I just forgot about it? Are they a known Forgotten Realms character? Or did the writers write themselves into a corner and took the easiest way out?

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Chuu posted:

Grats on getting through another LP! And seriously consider taking a break if the next game is going to be as much of a slog as everyone makes it sound like.

. . . were we clued into Nameless at some point and I just forgot about it? Are they a known Forgotten Realms character? Or did the writers write themselves into a corner and took the easiest way out?

He popped up in Alias' journal entry (Pit of Moander) and then we saw him a couple of times wandering around Myth Drannor.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Unrelated to anything but I just realized Justine has been the one to put a sword through Tyranthraxus' head, twice.

Maybe Rezen knows what she's doing after all nope lol

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

Chuu posted:

It’s not really spelled out much. It’s covered in depth in the novel prequel.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Happy Birthday Mr. S.

https://twitter.com/ktwfc/status/1338500524451135488

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

SaGa is old enough to have a family :stonk:

Colander Crotch
Nov 24, 2005

I- I don't even know what you just called me!

Chokes McGee posted:

SaGa is old enough to abandon a family to go on an adventure :stonk:

Fixed that for you.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Long-time reader, first-time poster. Looking forward to the next LP you do, Chokes.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014

Beerdeer posted:

It’s not really spelled out much. It’s covered in depth in the novel prequel.

Yeah. SPOILER- He’s an Epic level Bard who wanted his songs preserved through the ages, so he cloned himself and figured he would use the Hypno-Bonds, a spell he designed, to compel the younger clone to always sing his songs the right way. Unfortunately for him, the clone went crazy first, killed two apprentices who were helping Nameless, then escaped. Nameless was then captured by the Harpers, a powerful secret society of Bards and other adventurers who “work for good in the Realms”. They exiled him to a private demiplane- an extra dimensional castle that supposedly nobody could reach. They also used epic magic to strip him of his name and cause his songs to be forgotten by everyone but him. I’m not sure if this was appropriate punishment, but it happened. By the way, nobody ever tracked down that crazy clone.

In the prequel novel Azure Bonds, an evil alliance of an assassins guild, a cult, two wizards, and a demon locate Nameless in his prison and tell him they’ll help him make a new vessel to sing his songs in the Realms if said vessel will do things for them in exchange. He agrees. The vessel is named Alias and she’s a clone of Cassana, one of the two wizards. They put the bonds on her and plan to sacrifice a paladin they captured to take away her free will entirely. By now, Nameless is feeling remorse and has also developed parental attachment to Alias while teaching her his music. So he arranges for her and the paladin to escape and sends the paladin- this is Dragonbait btw- to watch over her. Alias got her memory wiped during the ritual before Nameless stepped in- she knows a fictional backstory for herself Nameless concocted, his songs, and that’s it. Fortunately she becomes fast friends with Dragonbait and some other adventurers- Olive the halfling Bard and Akabar the wizard. Together these four must endeavor to discover Alias’s true past and why the bad guys (the conspiracy who helped Nameless make her) are after her, then beat said bad guys. This is accomplished, all the bad guys get killed, and at the end a prominent member of the Harpers- super mage Elminster- steps in and tells Alias everything. He then says he disagreed with the original punishment for Nameless and he’s obviously learned his lesson, so he’s freed from his prison and Alias can sing his songs, which she’s already put new spins on as cover artists do. But Nameless forgives her. The Harpers can’t give him his name back, though. That has to wait till a spin-off sequel where Olive rediscovers it and now must protect the noble family to which Nameless once belonged from his clone- who has returned as a powerful wizard with his own flying castle and undead army. I think the Harpers really should have tracked down this guy.

Our game takes place after Azure Bonds concluded. It features the same spell used to compel Alias and similar bad guys, along with the novel’s heroes helping us at key points. You can read more in previous posts I’ve done about it. I thought it was a good story, though not as classic fantasy as Tolkien or Margaret Weis. Don’t worry, future games in this series don’t have a book in their backstory. Pools of Darkness got novelized, but that book’s plot is way different than the game’s. I’ll talk about it more when we get to that game.

achtungnight fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Dec 14, 2020

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
I've read everything in the "Alias saga", but I had forgotten that Pools of Darkness had a noveliation. I should read that.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
tick tock what time is it

IT'S SAGA TIME Y'ALL

A million thanks to Randalor for a ridiculously good gift. My wife will also thank you after the twelfth time I inform her it's Rezen o'clock. :mmmhmm:

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

Chokes McGee posted:

IT'S SAGA TIME Y'ALL

A million thanks to Randalor for a ridiculously good gift. My wife will also thank you after the twelfth time I inform her it's Rezen o'clock. :mmmhmm:

Man, looking at this makes me wonder. Rob's dad has a hat. But he's good? A... am I supposed to believe that hat is not inherently evil? Surely the church of SAW wouldn't lie to me? :ohdear:

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Chokes McGee posted:

IT'S SAGA TIME Y'ALL

Published novelist and now this. Must... choke down... envious bile

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Chokes McGee posted:

IT'S SAGA TIME Y'ALL

*Tilts head* Huh, I thought the Creator looked slightly askew. Good to know I was right. Though I wasn't expecting you to make the whole clock skewed to compensate. I'm pretty sure he shifted slightly when I clamped him down, I caught a couple other pieces doing that but... well... actually caught them in time to fix it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Drakenel posted:

Man, looking at this makes me wonder. Rob's dad has a hat. But he's good? A... am I supposed to believe that hat is not inherently evil? Surely the church of SAW wouldn't lie to me? :ohdear:

Rob Bot is Roy's uncle on Warmech's side