Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

General Dog posted:

I wouldn’t mind a show about good cops; it seems like they could use a win these days.

Haha, no.

jivjov posted:

The only good cops are ones that quit their jobs

You know what, jivjov? You’re alright.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

jivjov posted:

The only good cops are ones that quit their jobs

You get me

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

If Rangers of the New Republic ends up being like the SAS spending 1946-1950 hunting down all the Nazis who fled Europe via the Catholic ratlines, because in this hypothetical the Americans didn't go and hire most of them for government jobs via Paperclip and let the rest run West Germany, then I think I'll be ok with it

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I guess you can spend a decade in a war fighting fascists as a terrorist militia but the second you win you're a cop and therefore bad, is what I'm getting here

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
The terse prison guard robot with the Rebel insignia was some wild imagery

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

We're never going back for Sev...

General Dog posted:

The terse prison guard robot with the Rebel insignia was some wild imagery

We had a fun discussion over in the Mando thread about this. The sequel trilogy (particularly TFA and TRoS) and some stuff from Mando, Rogue One, and Alphabet Squadron really seem to be hammering home the message that the New Republic is just as corrupt and neoliberal as the Old Republic - which is why it was doomed to fail.

jivjov fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Dec 12, 2020

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Sev is Alive and living witha Geonosian who looks like his mother and I will hear nothing to the contrary. He can't be dead.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Given the western vibes of The Mandalorian, Rangers of the New Republic probably references Texas Rangers in the same way that The Mandalorian references classic bounty hunter shows and movies. So yeah, it'll be about a squad of western space cops going around to isolated villages planets and taking out the biggest local problem (some bandits one episode, a wanted horse starship thief the next, maybe even a murderous space rancher and his thugs the one after that) then moving on to the next planet. Re-doing classic western stories with spaceships and blasters....just like The Mandalorian.

Moose King posted:

https://twitter.com/YesYoureRacist/status/1335273706885681155

I felt the same way until I read that thread.

Rangers is one of the new Filoni/Favreau shows, and they seem to show in Mando that they really understand what a lot of Star Wars is saying politically (the failure of liberalism and its repeated inability to stop the rise of fascism). Given that this is the team whose current series is showing New Republic prisoners being given draconian sentences for minor offenses and clearly laying out the evil of facism's deceptive appeal to regular people's desire for order and security at the cost of freedom, I'm not too worried about them suddenly putting out a status quo worshipping liberal bootlicking cop show.

I dunno if I'd call hijacking a Republic prison ship, destruction of several expensive droids, the escape of a Republic prisoner, oh and murder of a Republic officer "minor offenses" though. Plus we don't know anything of Mayfield's Imperial record besides that it probably ended with the loss of his division at Burnin Konn. He could have that sentence for numerous war crimes for all we know.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
And yet, none of that excuses using prisoners as slave labor.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I assumed Rangers, like, special forces.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Basically, I wish they had given us, like, any info about the Rangers show, to clear up these questions.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

jivjov posted:

And yet, none of that excuses using prisoners as slave labor.

Didn't say that it did, but calling murder a "minor offense" needs to disputed. :colbert:

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

jng2058 posted:

Didn't say that it did, but calling murder a "minor offense" needs to disputed. :colbert:

The “minor offenses” is in regards to the other prisoner profiles shown in the scene with Cara. Someone translated the text in those scenes and those unnamed prisoners were serving heavy decades long sentences for things like forgery and stealing cars landspeeders.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

jivjov posted:

We're never going back for Sev...

We had a fun discussion over in the Mando thread about this. The sequel trilogy (particularly TFA and TRoS) and some stuff from Mando, Rogue One, and Alphabet Squadron really seem to be hammering home the message that the New Republic is just as corrupt and neoliberal as the Old Republic - which is why it was doomed to fail.

How does this show that the republic is neoliberal? The problem is that they didn’t wipe out the Empire not that they eliminated tariffs or something. Prison labor existed long before some nerds at UChicago decided they loved the free market.

Rando
Mar 11, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Combined with marshall terf rangers has got to mean of the texan sort.

Rando fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Dec 12, 2020

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Is no one going to discuss how we got Fury Road in Star Wars and it was awesome?!?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Badger of Basra posted:

How does this show that the republic is neoliberal? The problem is that they didn’t wipe out the Empire not that they eliminated tariffs or something. Prison labor existed long before some nerds at UChicago decided they loved the free market.

lIberals are fine with boots on throats....as long as the "right people" are wearing the boots. Note that a LOT of supposedly "good people" in real life sport thin blue line merch and support cops.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

jivjov posted:

lIberals are fine with boots on throats....as long as the "right people" are wearing the boots. Note that a LOT of supposedly "good people" in real life sport thin blue line merch and support cops.

Yeah but that doesn't have anything to do with neoliberalism. It has a meaning other than "thing I don't like."

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Badger of Basra posted:

Yeah but that doesn't have anything to do with neoliberalism. It has a meaning other than "thing I don't like."

Perhaps we have different working definitions - I was coming at it from the more loose "We say we're on the left but we're actually centrist at best" attitude

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

jassa posted:

Don't clones age twice as fast as humans? He was already grandpa age during Rebels, another decade later and he'll be near-death. :(

I can’t remember if this is canon now or just something Filoni said, but I think the idea is that at a certain point the Clone advanced aging would stop and normalize. So once Rex and all those others hit like a biological 60-70 they’ll just age like normal from that point forward.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Thwomp posted:

Is no one going to discuss how we got Fury Road in Star Wars and it was awesome?!?

No, we've gotta discuss how any portrayal of any form of law enforcement in fiction -- even space fantasy with no relation to a contemporary setting -- is automatically a pro-Blue Live Matter statement first.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Moon Slayer posted:

No, we've gotta discuss how any portrayal of any form of law enforcement in fiction -- even space fantasy with no relation to a contemporary setting -- is automatically a pro-Blue Live Matter statement first.

Please educate yourself on the difference between endorsement and depiction. The writers showing Cops Are Good doesn't mean they agree with that statement, just the fact that the society they're depicting does.

A show CENTERED on cops (like we suspect Rangers of the New Republic to be) has a much higher risk of being copaganda, but if we're lucky, it will be a more nuanced take that doesn't glorify the excesses of law enforcement

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Rando posted:

Combined with marshall terf rangers has got to mean of the texan sort.

It grieves me to report that the historical Texas Rangers are also cancelled.

Rando
Mar 11, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Good.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

jivjov posted:

Please educate yourself

never

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy
The only way to do a cop show is Reno 911 style and I'm willing to die on that hill

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
I was pretty ambivalent about the Bad Batch series because, while I enjoyed their episodes of the Clone Wars, I wasn't thrilled about the idea of an entire series centering on them.

I just watched the trailer for it and I was reminded of how much I love the clones and clone-centric episodes, and the set pieces and setups they showcased looked rad as hell. I'm totally sold and ready for it, 100%.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I just wish the characters themselves were actually interesting instead of just a bunch of tired action hero tropes. I mean I’ll watch it because it’s Filoni and because of the setting, but I’d have preferred just about any other clones as the main characters.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Yeah, I don't much care for the bad batch. I'll stick it out for the premiere, but doubt I'll stay around for the whole season.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I'm in for Bad Batch if for no other reason than to listen to Dee Bradley Baker act against himself some more

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

The clone episodes were my favorites in TCW so I am very excited for Dee Bradley Baker: The Show. Also just the setting of early transition to the Empire seems like it will be interesting.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Cage Kicker posted:

The only way to do a cop show is Reno 911 style and I'm willing to die on that hill

There's no way Disney even considered Reno 911 in space. What I'm hoping for is a relatable group of broken-down Rebellion-Era fighters given badges, X-Wings, and an Outer Rim beat. Not Cops in Space, but veterans of the Rebellion trying to keep their poo poo together and establish the rule of law in the Rim territories that both the Old Republic and the Empire neglected.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Just give me Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Alderaan already.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Hoping Rangers is a Nazi hunters show. The time period is right and seems like fertile ground to play in. Could also help set up the First Order, because pretty much only the cream of the crop got the secret invite.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

jivjov posted:

I'm in for Bad Batch if for no other reason than to listen to Dee Bradley Baker act against himself some more

:hmmyes:

And yeah the Clones were the reason I got back into being intrested in Star Wars so I'm in.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

General Dog posted:

I wouldn’t mind a show about good cops; it seems like they could use a win these days.

this is a joke right? right?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I think they went with the exaggerations of Bad Batch because they decided Delta Squad just weren't quite different enough, aside from the voice all the really had were the really nice looking commando armour, outside of which they still looked like normal clones

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Just keep the four voice actors for Delta Squad instead of relying on Baker. They've brought back Morrison and the only work I can see Raphael Sabarge getting any time soon is the new Mass Effect game. Delta is great and they should get their own show.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Delta Squad is canon thanks to Witches of the Mist in The Clone Wars, so having them pop up in TBB would be amazing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
The Wrecker guy seems like a much shittier and more irritating version of Hardcase who was super similar but had way better written and voiced lines and so came across sympathetic and funny instead of an obnoxious dipshit