Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Game of the Decade
This poll is closed.
Bowsette 69424 23.78%
Metis Souls 85 0.03%
Metisnite 7 0.00%
Skymetis 26 0.01%
Gone Metis 9 0.00%
MGSV: Phantom Pain (Metis Gear Solid) 13 0.00%
Journey 10 0.00%
Doom 20Metis 12 0.00%
Metis Presents: House Party 95 0.03%
Xcom: Metis Unknown 19 0.01%
Metis (gamer of the decade) (no gamer moments) 36 0.01%
The Metis 3 24 0.01%
METIISSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!! 222220 76.11%
Total: 291980 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Regy Rusty posted:

Tfw you get to the reveal in 13 Sentinels of why the characters lose their clothes in the robots and it turns out everyone was right and it makes perfect sense

So how ashamed are you of your words and deeds right now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Regy Rusty posted:

Tfw you get to the reveal in 13 Sentinels of why the characters lose their clothes in the robots and it turns out everyone was right and it makes perfect sense

I've figured out a lot of stuff in the game, but even knowing that an explanation was coming I didn't work that one out ahead of time

:sickos: :sickos: :sickos: :sickos:

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo

Grouchio posted:

I'm wondering/contemplating if the setting of Cyberpunk 2077 is how bad the future's gonna be by the 2070s, or if it'll be a tad less lovely than that.

That’s hard to say, in my opinion. The thing that’s spot on though is the density and people just setting up makeshift homes in any corner they can get in the city.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Maybe instead of muddling through the performance problems in cyberpunk I should start 13S instead

Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo

Regy Rusty posted:

I've figured out a lot of stuff in the game, but even knowing that an explanation was coming I didn't work that one out ahead of time

drat, and here I am still sitting here thinking, “it’s a weird choice that they’re naked, but also not something I’d realize if it wasn’t pointed out. Now I’m curious to get to this reasoning!

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

kiwami 1 is the nadir because it's a very faithful recreation of a ps2 game made before yakuza either became a franchise or hit its stride writing-wise

playing 0 makes it even worse because it gives a lot of gravitas and menace to several characters who just go out with a wet pbbhht sound in kiwami

yeah kazama, shimano, and nishiki are all much better characters in 0

going in i thought the big conflict of the game was going to be kiryu's purity vs nishiki's corruption, and the game does jack poo poo with that in favor of a bunch of nonsense with the florist and those red white and blue gangs and the absolutely horrible jingu, so kazama has to take you aside and dump the plot in your lap at the last second before dying because he's just not perfect enough yet without a dumb death scene. i'm not even entirely sure why kiryu fights nishiki at the end, the tension there was so one-sided

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

So how ashamed are you of your words and deeds right now

Not one bit

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Maybe instead of muddling through the performance problems in cyberpunk I should start 13S instead

It's loving great. I'm glad I'm getting it in before the year ends because it deserves a good showing in our poll.

Or to put it another way:

Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
The conversation has passed, but you can not convince me that a form of the battle royale has not already played out somewhere on Earth already

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

2020 America is already lovely in such a unique way that I don't see how what I've seen of Cyberpunk so far isn't already less lovely than 2020

Aren't we basically in a lovely cyberpunk future except we don't have any of the cool poo poo?

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Electric Phantasm posted:

Aren't we basically in a lovely cyberpunk future except we don't have any of the cool poo poo?

Time for POLITICS but the most recent Chapo episode was about Avatar (the James Cameron film) and the way the film depicts America and they made some pretty relevant points that I'd sort of like to play through Cyberpunk just to analyze them through. One of the things they mention is that most scifi writers, even when writing dystopia, don't have it in them to depict systematic poverty. You've got people living in shantytowns, sure, but they've still got cybernetic implants and futuristic miltech. One thing they like about Avatar is that the main character was injured in Venezuela, acting on behalf of the military to do extraction capitalism, and can no longer use his legs. We've got interstellar space travel and can grow false human bodies you can control the consciousness of, but those things are only for rich people. Curing his paralysis would be something easily accomplished, but even in this far-off future where the amount of surplus is so great that we're literally importing riches from the heavens, the average person still can't get access to any of it.

So in a way, yes, except we will NEVER get the cool poo poo. The future will have cool cybernetic implants and guns that can see through walls and all that stuff but you and me will never get to have any of it

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

IDK what fiction the chapo guys have been reading and watching but cyberpunk stories very rarely have the cool poo poo accessible to anyone that's genuinely poor, the protagonists usually have some measure of privilege(usually being a cop or some other enforcer for a higher authority) that affords them access to the cool stuff even if their living conditions are otherwise bad.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Time for POLITICS but the most recent Chapo episode was about Avatar (the James Cameron film) and the way the film depicts America and they made some pretty relevant points that I'd sort of like to play through Cyberpunk just to analyze them through. One of the things they mention is that most scifi writers, even when writing dystopia, don't have it in them to depict systematic poverty. You've got people living in shantytowns, sure, but they've still got cybernetic implants and futuristic miltech. One thing they like about Avatar is that the main character was injured in Venezuela, acting on behalf of the military to do extraction capitalism, and can no longer use his legs. We've got interstellar space travel and can grow false human bodies you can control the consciousness of, but those things are only for rich people. Curing his paralysis would be something easily accomplished, but even in this far-off future where the amount of surplus is so great that we're literally importing riches from the heavens, the average person still can't get access to any of it.

So in a way, yes, except we will NEVER get the cool poo poo. The future will have cool cybernetic implants and guns that can see through walls and all that stuff but you and me will never get to have any of it

In the cyberpunk genre it's typically only people in the criminal organizations who can afford to get these implants. But you are right, the Cyberpunk genre rarely touches on actual poverty. Cyberpunk 2077 is a pristine example of this. You can tell there is insane income inequality, but it's not really commented upon. The homicide rate is 2.5x that of Cape Town, but the causes of such violence is not explained. It's shown that mega corporations own everything but there is no expansion of this besides that many citizens think this is bad without expanding on why. Citizens hate it even more that most of these corporations are "foreign" but this is literally not touched upon besides an extremely brief interaction that goes nowhere. Being a WRPG it practically begs to offer social commentary but the most it offers is "My gun goes BRRR!", even during sidequests.

What I'm saying is that ZA/UM should make a Cyperpunk game.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I wonder if playing a game with bad frame rate is actually more physically draining than normal, all I did today was play 7 hours of Cyberpunk, it's probably been a while since I've done a marathon session like that but I still feel more exhausted than after hours of other games or even a full day of work

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

punk rebel ecks posted:

Being a WRPG it practically begs to offer social commentary but the most it offers is "My gun goes BRRR!", even during sidequests.

Yeah that's the thing about my desire to play the game, I would want a version of it that takes everything that is lovely about America to its most extreme and logical conclusion, which I just sort of know it doesn't. There's megacorporations that own everything, but that's just the default of the genre's fiction. I want a future where every job is a gig job so you have a new person working in the bodega every single day because they were the one who undercut the other applicants by the highest margin, poo poo like that.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

thats standard cyberpunk, shadowrunners are the original gig workers

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i remember one of the earliest concerns of cp2077 was that it'd be a piece of speculative fiction that had long since been outpaced by reality, and that does appear to be the case

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

To be frank, that's a way higher user score than I was expecting. I thought for sure it would get dive bombed into James Cameron's The Abyss but 6.6 sounds about right-ish for where the game is at right now.

I noticed they weren't letting people submit user scores right away, when did they start doing that?

I think around summer, they disabled user reviews for the first 48 hours of a game's release.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Waffleman_ posted:

I think around summer, they disabled user reviews for the first 48 hours of a game's release.

I want to say that it was the review bombing of TLOU2 that prompted it, but I'm not entirely sure.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Cyberpunk 2077 is more Grand Theft Auto than it is The Witcher. And yes I mean that both ways that can be interpreted.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

punk rebel ecks posted:

In the cyberpunk genre it's typically only people in the criminal organizations who can afford to get these implants. But you are right, the Cyberpunk genre rarely touches on actual poverty. Cyberpunk 2077 is a pristine example of this. You can tell there is insane income inequality, but it's not really commented upon. The homicide rate is 2.5x that of Cape Town, but the causes of such violence is not explained. It's shown that mega corporations own everything but there is no expansion of this besides that many citizens think this is bad without expanding on why. Citizens hate it even more that most of these corporations are "foreign" but this is literally not touched upon besides an extremely brief interaction that goes nowhere. Being a WRPG it practically begs to offer social commentary but the most it offers is "My gun goes BRRR!", even during sidequests.

So what you are saying is Final Fantasy 7 is the best cyberpunk game.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

We are the “@#$&* pizza”

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

WaltherFeng posted:

God drat it, why does this have to be true and not a troll!

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
The Planet’s Dyin’, Keanu!

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Wake the gently caress up, Cloud [pushes him in his wheelchair]

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The Westwood Blade Runner game was pretty dope.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

punk rebel ecks posted:

Cyberpunk 2077 is more Grand Theft Auto than it is The Witcher. And yes I mean that both ways that can be interpreted.

I dunno, San Andreas has much more immersive city and traffic AI stuff going on.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

WaltherFeng posted:

:hmmyes:

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

It’s called final FANTASY, only sci fi can be cyberpunk

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
i started watching chip and ironicus's ff7r lp and revisiting that game in a post-cyberpunk 2077 world is loving wild lol

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Jay Rust posted:

Sci fi is just fantasy set in the future

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from crystals."
-- Arthur "Cloud" Clarke

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

punk rebel ecks posted:

its really not like actual open world games, its more like deus ex with a bigger place to wander around in

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

The level design and enemy AI are way too stupid to play the game honestly like Deus Ex, it's more like the 3D Fallouts where you can just wildly club everything to death.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

void_serfer posted:

I dunno, San Andreas has much more immersive city and traffic AI stuff going on.

San Andreas was essentially the peak of it's genre.

Stux posted:

its really not like actual open world games, its more like deus ex with a bigger place to wander around in

Modern GTA isn't that much different. The only difference between GTA V and Cyberpunk is that people from sidequests call me on my cell phone more in the latter.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

homeless snail posted:

part of the reason why I object to the common wisdom of playing 0 first

I'm glad I played 0 first. If I'd played Kiwami first I probably wouldn't have bothered carrying on. Knowing that Kiryu, Nishiki, Majima, Serena and Kazama had more to them than we see in the game elevated Kiwami from a bad PS2 era plot to an enjoyable PS2 era plot.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

stev posted:

I'm glad I played 0 first. If I'd played Kiwami first I probably wouldn't have bothered carrying on. Knowing that Kiryu, Nishiki, Majima, Serena and Kazama had more to them than we see in the game elevated Kiwami from a bad PS2 era plot to an enjoyable PS2 era plot.

:same:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

It's GTA-like in mission structure but the world does not allow for the emergent behavior that GTA does. I haven't seen faction infighting except in explicit missions or abilities where they're supposed to. You can't drive any of the corp or cop vehicles and there really isn't a satisfying loop or interactions when it comes to the wanted rating.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

exquisite tea posted:

The level design and enemy AI are way too stupid to play the game honestly like Deus Ex, it's more like the 3D Fallouts where you can just wildly club everything to death.

the ai is extremely dumb but ive been able to approach the missions in different ways and stealth thru so the enemies are just glorified cameras anyway

punk rebel ecks posted:

San Andreas was essentially the peak of it's genre.

Modern GTA isn't that much different. The only difference between GTA V and Cyberpunk is that people from sidequests call me on my cell phone more in the latter.

modern gta is a game about its open world and the interactivity in it. cyberpunk is a modern deus ex and the setting is a backdrop.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

punk rebel ecks posted:

Eh my impression is a bit more positive than this, 2077 wallows in this and I thought it made it pretty clear what the cause and effects of the wealth inequality and their relation with violence were, especially if you listen to the background chatter and radios and poo poo.

Honestly my main issue with it's depiction of dystopia is it's soft on the cops.

Grouchio posted:

I'm wondering/contemplating if the setting of Cyberpunk 2077 is how bad the future's gonna be by the 2070s, or if it'll be a tad less lovely than that.

Probably worse, if we don't correct course by well before 2077, things will be much less livable than the game depicts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I think the class struggle and dystopian power structure themes in CP2077 really aren't too hard to find, Judy's character missions call attention to this in particular. Really my largest complaint about that is that you can't start agreeing with Johnny Silverhand right off the bat.