Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
1. Recruiter on phone
2. Employer on phone
3. Fizz
4. In person interview
5. Buzz.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
i'll do a take home iff that means i don't have to do live coding whiteboard bullshit. sure as hell not doing both

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

DELETE CASCADE posted:

i'll do a take home iff that means i don't have to do live coding whiteboard bullshit. sure as hell not doing both

Yah, this

I have no problems doing a take home, and doing some code review of my take home during the technical interview is fine.

Doing a take home and then doing a separate live coding exercise is not.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
My current company has "SOPs" about hiring practices, and doing less than an all loving day serial interview is literally violating some stupid regulation they wrote for themselves, but are legally required to follow once published.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
my former employer wants me to re-sign the no-poach agreement i signed when i started working for them. unfortunately for them, i stopped working for them two weeks ago. i don't even know why they want me to re-sign it, it's still in effect.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

The 5 interview company in question was a multinational and it honestly wasn't all that bad, there were only 2 technical interviews out of the 5 and they were fairly reasonable and genuinely well done. The only annoying thing is that so many interviews makes it impossible to interview with more than 2-3 companies at once, which sucks when you really want to get a job and don't have one ATM.

The other gaming-related company also had 2 technical interviews along with a pretty long weekend takehome, the goal of which was to make it as "enterprise" as possible (I very much had flashbacks of enterprise fizzbuzz while doing it, and still wasn't enterprise enough according to the feedback). But then the whole thing seemed really disorganised anyway.

e: as for what sunk me with the multinational - it's only a guess based on the feedback and such - but I think it was just lack of experience, my final interview was by an engineer with 16 years of experience and another with 21, who would be working on a similar team level to me. and the interviews themselves went quite well

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Dec 11, 2020

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Achmed Jones posted:

what's the actual problem here? i'd push back against the takehome if it is "build this thing, it should take x hours" because i don't trust companies not to waste my time, but if they want to do a screen share or timed hackerrank thing or whatever as a screening step that's fine

DELETE CASCADE posted:

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

ah, see i don't give a poo poo about whiteboarding, it's whatever. either it's a good problem and i do fine, or it's a good problem and i suck and that's on me and i was appropriately screened out, or it's a bad problem and gently caress off, your process is bad and i don't care that i got screened out. when i'm at an interview, i'm already there so gently caress it, that day's blown, and i'm there during working hours anyway. but my after-work time is super important to me, get outta here with that 'just code in your off time' stuff.

in my experience, the "bad problem sinks an interview" thing is rare and the only time i ran into it there were a ton of other red flags so good riddance. other people seem to run into this more than i do, so i guess im a lucky ducky

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

raminasi posted:

my former employer wants me to re-sign the no-poach agreement i signed when i started working for them. unfortunately for them, i stopped working for them two weeks ago. i don't even know why they want me to re-sign it, it's still in effect.

i would ignore it

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

I think for me it basically boils down to: "I don't spend my time for free at work, you're given a slightly better courtesy so don't overstay your welcome".

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

raminasi posted:

FWIW these are almost always blatant violations of antitrust law per an antitrust lawyer I spoke to. You should consult a lawyer before you make any decisions, but you can be pretty confident that they'll tell you not to worry about it.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Achmed Jones posted:

ah, see i don't give a poo poo about whiteboarding, it's whatever. either it's a good problem and i do fine, or it's a good problem and i suck and that's on me and i was appropriately screened out, or it's a bad problem and gently caress off, your process is bad and i don't care that i got screened out. when i'm at an interview, i'm already there so gently caress it, that day's blown, and i'm there during working hours anyway. but my after-work time is super important to me, get outta here with that 'just code in your off time' stuff.

in my experience, the "bad problem sinks an interview" thing is rare and the only time i ran into it there were a ton of other red flags so good riddance. other people seem to run into this more than i do, so i guess im a lucky ducky

it is much much much much much much easier to say "well gently caress them their process sucks" when your batna still involves you being able to pay your rent. when it doesn't, things get a lot more stressful.

PIZZA.BAT posted:

i would ignore it

ultrafilter posted:

FWIW these are almost always blatant violations of antitrust law per an antitrust lawyer I spoke to. You should consult a lawyer before you make any decisions, but you can be pretty confident that they'll tell you not to worry about it.

yeah i don't work for them anymore and i don't plan to pay it any mind. the worst they could possibly do is put me on a do not rehire list, in which case thanks for making sure i don't make a particular bad decision in the future?

Vinz Clortho
Jul 19, 2004

raminasi posted:

it is much much much much much much easier to say "well gently caress them their process sucks" when your batna still involves you being able to pay your rent. when it doesn't, things get a lot more stressful.

Yes, this.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

raminasi posted:

yeah, but if I didn't have a job, I'd also jump through whatever hoops they wanted to get one and not reject a company because I dont like part of their interview process. when I was hustling to get oldjob (I had a job but knew I didn't have too long before getting laid off since we sold out product), I was definitely doing all the takehomes and poo poo that I refused to do on my last job search (because oldjob was solid, and I was able to be picky when interviewing for currentjob)

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

like I'm kind of confused why you brought that up- are you saying that it's reasonable to refuse interviews that do whiteboarding because it's too stressful? like sure everything is more stressful when you don't have a job but refusing the interview on that basis seems like cutting off your nose to spite your face.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Achmed Jones posted:

like I'm kind of confused why you brought that up- are you saying that it's reasonable to refuse interviews that do whiteboarding because it's too stressful? like sure everything is more stressful when you don't have a job but refusing the interview on that basis seems like cutting off your nose to spite your face.

It's not stress per se, but how many full time working days are you going to give companies that aren't paying you because each one has a stupid-rear end process?

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Achmed Jones posted:

tbh i did a pretty bad job following the thread of the conversation and only piped up because i’ve seen the sentiment of “it's a bad problem and gently caress off, your process is bad” thrown around an awful lot here without the caveat that it’s not really useful for a substantial portion of job-seekers. you are right that in context my comment didn’t really add anything useful.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

yeah honestly I don't mind outside of that it makes it harder to interview at multiple places at once

and the fact I'm doing takehomes for two weekends in a row, but whatever, it's not that bad, if it weren't for the stress I might even enjoy it a bit

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Achmed Jones posted:

ah, see i don't give a poo poo about whiteboarding, it's whatever. either it's a good problem and i do fine, or it's a good problem and i suck and that's on me and i was appropriately screened out, or it's a bad problem and gently caress off, your process is bad and i don't care that i got screened out.

Doesn't your employer admit that their process is not actually correlated with good employees?

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

I mean my current job is pretty irrelevant to what I'm saying, but faang processes (at least through like sr engineer) are geared towards preventing bad hires over finding great ones. that's different from what you said, though. but yeah, they inappropriately reject a lot of good people and it sucks. what's your point?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Xarn posted:

Doesn't your employer admit that their process is not actually correlated with good employees?

they're probably not competent to notice

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

raminasi posted:

you are right that in context my comment didn’t really add anything useful.

I wouldn't go that far, it's good to remember that "I don't give a gently caress" attitudes get harder as you start actually giving a gently caress :) my move has always been to fake it until I make it on stuff like that. but if I got fired tomorrow something tells me that I'd go back to taking rejections super personally again. I really do think that the fact that I was able to not stress is a big reason my previous job search went well though, which is a poo poo of a catch 22

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Achmed Jones posted:

I really do think that the fact that I was able to not stress is a big reason my previous job search went well though, which is a poo poo of a catch 22

100%

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Achmed Jones posted:

I really do think that the fact that I was able to not stress is a big reason my previous job search went well though, which is a poo poo of a catch 22

extreme same. folks, it’s been said before, and it’s worth saying again: start your job search well before you actually need to leave. don’t wait until you’ve burned out or your execs have declared that your department is getting reorged out of existence.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Achmed Jones posted:

I mean my current job is pretty irrelevant to what I'm saying, but faang processes (at least through like sr engineer) are geared towards preventing bad hires over finding great ones. that's different from what you said, though. but yeah, they inappropriately reject a lot of good people and it sucks. what's your point?

I just found the combination of "everyone knows interviewing and hiring is broken" with yours "i suck and that's on me and i was appropriately screened out" funny.

Anyway, yeah, the best time to interview is when you don't need to. Funny how that works

Carrier
May 12, 2009

While I remember, and the discussion is basically on long interviews, one of the companies I interviewed for (which was basically computer janitoring propriety software for big clients) had the following interview process:

1st stage: 30m-1hr phone interview
2nd stage: 3 1hr one on one interviews and a 2hr one on one software demo over a full day
3rd stage: same again but 4 one on ones
4th stage: same AGAIN but this time with the boston team (I'm in the UK and in normal times they would've flown me out for this)
5th stage: another full day with the boston team

I was super thankful to not have had to go through all that in the end because I got another offer. It did seem like a cool place to work but man, they REALLY wanna be sure about who they are hiring.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
lol

Did they offer ar least 500k in comp for that poo poo?

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

Carrier posted:

While I remember, and the discussion is basically on long interviews, one of the companies I interviewed for (which was basically computer janitoring propriety software for big clients) had the following interview process:

1st stage: 30m-1hr phone interview
2nd stage: 3 1hr one on one interviews and a 2hr one on one software demo over a full day
3rd stage: same again but 4 one on ones
4th stage: same AGAIN but this time with the boston team (I'm in the UK and in normal times they would've flown me out for this)
5th stage: another full day with the boston team

I was super thankful to not have had to go through all that in the end because I got another offer. It did seem like a cool place to work but man, they REALLY wanna be sure about who they are hiring.

this would be such a piss off working there. how does anyone have time to write bad code?

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Xarn posted:

lol

Did they offer ar least 500k in comp for that poo poo?

I went through a similar interview process with the later stages being you coming up with and presenting a business case to the company. I jokingly asked if I was going to get paid for this and never heard from them again. :ghost:

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
has anyone actually had experience saying "yeah.....I'm not doing this" to a company and getting a positive result?

I have to do a "3 hour" homework assignment this weekend and I just don't feel like doing it one bit, especially because I did a B+ or A- job on the last one I did and wasn't given another interview, despite being like "oh duh yeah I know how to fix that" when the interviewer pointed out a glaring bug.

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

I've sent in what I managed to get done after 10 hours of a "3 hour" assignment that didn't tick all of the boxes they'd asked for along with a detailed explanation of why a 3 hour estimate was horse poo poo, and they asked me to come in for an on-location interview. (I turned them down.)

I mean, if you're not super-jazzed on the position, you could just say "I'm not doing this" and see what happens. Worst case scenario they say "okay, bye."

asur
Dec 28, 2012
Any place that has a take home project isn't going to let you bypass it because you asked unless you have an internal referral.

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

Grump posted:

has anyone actually had experience saying "yeah.....I'm not doing this" to a company and getting a positive result?

Not a positive experience exactly, but I refused to take a stupid online personality test when I was job hunting last year. The head of HR told me that the test was standard policy and that the whole office had taken it. I refused for privacy reasons, and bit my tongue about how stupid the whole idea was.

After a great onsite, HR told me that I was cut for refusing to take the test. I feel like I dodged a bullet. So... semi-positive outcome?

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!
God, why do a personality test. They should just get your sign and use that.

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

while this is like “hiring for culture fit” i think any reasonably competent team should be able to get by without some psuedo psychology bullshit

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

ikanreed posted:

They should just get your sign and use that.

I hope you don't think that no one's doing that.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Poopernickel posted:

Not a positive experience exactly, but I refused to take a stupid online personality test when I was job hunting last year. The head of HR told me that the test was standard policy and that the whole office had taken it. I refused for privacy reasons, and bit my tongue about how stupid the whole idea was.

After a great onsite, HR told me that I was cut for refusing to take the test. I feel like I dodged a bullet. So... semi-positive outcome?

i know that this goes against yospos orthodoxy but there are jobs that are good in spite of those things. just because some executive has a dumb idea doesn’t mean that a job isn’t worth taking.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

ultrafilter posted:

I hope you don't think that no one's doing that.

And this month's office birthdays are... Everyone.

Destroyenator
Dec 27, 2004

Don't ask me lady, I live in beer

asur posted:

Any place that has a take home project isn't going to let you bypass it because you asked unless you have an internal referral.

we have a few times but only if it was our internal recruiter initiating the contact with someone, which is fair enough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself

Grump posted:

I have to do a "3 hour" homework assignment this weekend and I just don't feel like doing it one bit, especially because I did a B+ or A- job on the last one I did and wasn't given another interview, despite being like "oh duh yeah I know how to fix that" when the interviewer pointed out a glaring bug.

btw I asked this because I just took 5 hours on a "2-3" hour assignment and sent it in unpolished (but functional) and told them I thought this was too much for a take home.

how can't developers put themselves in the shoes of a candidate? like you were once a candidate why are you making me do a 5-point ticket for free???????