Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

smooth jazz posted:

Yes the difference is night and day.

I sidegraded from a B9 S4 to a C7.5 A6 and I ended up buying out the A6 as that powertrain is a keeper.
Even with the extra weight of the A6, the supercharged 3.0 is just so immediate.

It must have pained the engineers to have to program that lag into the B9.

Can this be dealt with by a tune? Or are most B9s still in warranty so people aren't down with that yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
What’s the general feel on B8.5 S4s? Sounds like some people have owned them in the thread.

I’m currently driving a 2011 BMW 135 which is awesome but not very practical size-wise. Also it’s getting on a bit and I just had to replace the dual clutch assembly and my mechanical insurance is up next year so time to move on.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

flightless greeb posted:

Can this be dealt with by a tune? Or are most B9s still in warranty so people aren't down with that yet.
I think it’s more of a transmission issue than it is an engine issue. I don’t know if there are any tunes out for the ZF 8 speed that’s in most Audis. I’ve seen people on FB and IG advertising that they tune the ZF but I don’t know anyone who’s used them.

Red_Fred posted:

What’s the general feel on B8.5 S4s? Sounds like some people have owned them in the thread.
I really liked mine. The B8.5 facelift addressed a lot of the issues with the B8. It ran to 2016 I believe and there are tons of aftermarket performance parts for it. The engine is fantastic and very durable and reliable. You can make 550-ish HP with a tune, supercharger & crankshaft pulley replacement, larger throttle body, upgraded inter cooler, and exhaust.

There’s also a $300 kit to add wireless CarPlay and Android Auto to the existing system

Mr. Apollo fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Dec 3, 2020

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

Wait there is? I'd love android auto in my 2013 B8.5 S4 but I wasn't aware of that. I've posted in this thread about it before, mine had some rare electrical issues that basically no one else online I can find has ever had back when I got it in '17. Since resolved and it's run like a champ with a stage 1 tune for the last 3 years. It's the last of the manual S4s too which is pretty cool imo, supercharger whine is definitely addictive.

I came from an '07 335i before too and I generally like the Audi more.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

It's from a Korean company called RSNav

https://rsnav.com/products/wireless-carplay-wireless-android-auto-interface-for-audi-cars-with-3g-3g-mib-mmi?variant=19520330268775

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfJP7yb6PtU

They have a bunch of upgrades and you can swap out the Audi MMI system for a larger screen and updated computer.

Mr. Apollo fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Dec 3, 2020

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
the 8HP is like the world's most common high horse auto transmission so i imagine there are tunes for it even if the 8HP55 is some goofy four ringed circus special

Blakkout
Aug 24, 2006

No thought was put into this.

Mr. Apollo posted:

The B8.5 facelift addressed a lot of the issues with the B8. It ran to 2016 I believe and there are tons of aftermarket performance parts for it. The engine is fantastic and very durable and reliable.

This is right. I dug into this quite a bit when I got my 2015 A4 last spring, and it seemed that the B8.5 is preferred to the B8, more so than other facelifts even.

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

Mr. Apollo posted:

It's from a Korean company called RSNav

https://rsnav.com/products/wireless-carplay-wireless-android-auto-interface-for-audi-cars-with-3g-3g-mib-mmi?variant=19520330268775

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfJP7yb6PtU

They have a bunch of upgrades and you can swap out the Audi MMI system for a larger screen and updated computer.

Thanks for the link!

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

So I test drove an Audi S4 (B9) and I’m pretty sure that’s what I’d like. I currently have a gti but would like something a bit more comfortable and suitable for long trips. I went to Carmax which I got a good vibe from, so I’ve been looking at what they can ship to me in Seattle

https://www.carmax.com/car/19639611

https://www.carmax.com/car/18909700

Are two that have caught my eye so far. The grey one in particular seems like a good deal, but I’m concerned about the two previous owners and the fact it was a lease. The lack of digital dashboard is actually a plus to me I’d rather traditional gauges. The red one also has two owners but was not a lease

Is there anything in particular to look out for? I think I want the sport package but other than that any must haves or red flags to be aware of? What’s y’all’s feeling on car max in general? And what about their warranty? Doug demuro did a thing on how good it is, is that still the case?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Being a lease is fine, if you restrict to leased cars you will find very little inventory. Why are you worried about it being a lease?

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

I’m not neasessairly, it seems to be the most common situation with this model. I think I’m gonna wait a week or two to either try a B8.5 or a low mileage B9 in black

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

ADINSX posted:

I’m not neasessairly, it seems to be the most common situation with this model. I think I’m gonna wait a week or two to either try a B8.5 or a low mileage B9 in black

The red one has the sport package. This may or may not be important to you. If I remember correctly it's the package that includes the magneto-resistive dampers and torque vectoring rear diff.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Murgos posted:

The red one has the sport package. This may or may not be important to you. If I remember correctly it's the package that includes the magneto-resistive dampers and torque vectoring rear diff.
The sport package has adaptive dampers but they're not magneto-resistive. Only the TT, A3, and R8 families have "Audi magnetic ride".

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I love the sports diff. I never owned an Audi without it, but the difference in turn-in feel between sports diff on comfort vs dynamic convinces me that I wouldn't want to give it up

B_sketchy
May 31, 2019

B_sketchy posted:

2013 Tiguan - Airbag light came on. I have a scanner. This is what it spit out:

Fault 1 : 03083 : Issue in Ignition Limitation Belt Tensioning Driver side (G551)
Fault 2 : 00594 : Issue in Airbag Ignition Circuit

What's the damage?

VelociBacon posted:

I'd reset it and see if it comes back first.

I've cleared it a couple times. It comes back on after a couple minutes of driving. Any suggestions?

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Mr. Apollo posted:

The sport package has adaptive dampers but they're not magneto-resistive. Only the TT, A3, and R8 families have "Audi magnetic ride".

Ok. Thought I saw that the S4/S5 was also, my mistake.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

B_sketchy posted:

I've cleared it a couple times. It comes back on after a couple minutes of driving. Any suggestions?

If it's similar to my airbag light then it's some connectors that are dirty and they need unplugging, hosing out with contact cleaner then reassemble/clear codes- mine were under the driver's seat related to the airbag in there but I could only figure which airbags with my mechanics obd tester, all torque did was say it was an airbag and wouldn't let me reset it properly

Stay the gently caress out of the way of the airbags while dealing with it just in case

DesperateDan fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Dec 7, 2020

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Murgos posted:

Yeah I think thats a requirement of mine if i go with the B9.

Found a good looking S4 B8.5 with a manual transmission in Beaverton that I'm trying to get shipped to my local store to test drive.

That would be more a lateral move from my GTI but I wanna try one of those out before I commit to paying ~20k more for a car thats just a few years newer.. I don't really care about the tech I just want a slightly more comfortable ride and something nicer/faster in general.

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN
The VW 72k bumper-to-bumper warranty was just for 2018-2019 models right?

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

I believe that is correct.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

yes, but any MY19 product will carry it even if it has not yet been sold

A Man With A Plan
Mar 29, 2010
Fallen Rib

A Man With A Plan posted:

Well thread, my 2015 S3 decided to have trouble starting beginning last night. It gives a couple tries, and usually fails with either Pre-Sense System Fault or a TPMS error on the dash, though a few others have showed up. The infotainment comes up fine though. I had marginally more success starting it from neutral. As of today the touch unlock doesn't seem to be working reliably either. No codes of note when I pulled them. Anyone want to take bets on the cause? Going to the dealer monday because I have minimal ability to work on it (no multimeter, etc)

E: my hope is the battery just undervolting things and getting all kinds of weird failures

Update if anyone cares - it was indeed the battery. Not gonna complain!

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I have a 2015 GTI, and recently the trunk started opening very slowly. It's like the hatch struts are resisting opening when they hit ~50%. Is this something I can fix, or do I just have to replace them.

Google isn't telling me much about this.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Once they start going you gotta replace them. Maybe some lubricant will help for a short time but they are failing. Rockauto usually has them pretty cheaply.

Maybe keep a long stick in the back to prop it up if they fail in the meantime just in case.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Thumposaurus posted:

Once they start going you gotta replace them. Maybe some lubricant will help for a short time but they are failing. Rockauto usually has them pretty cheaply.

Maybe keep a long stick in the back to prop it up if they fail in the meantime just in case.

That's about what I figured. $12/ea makes it not really worth trying to fix them (the OEM ones are at least $38/ea)

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
Should I buy a 2019 q8 with 7000km and the $6000 audio option on it?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Gas struts also work less well in the cold.

mrtrunks84
Oct 5, 2004

The train in my head just missed it's stop
So I have a JB4 for my 2016 Golf R that is no longer in use (Went accessport Pro tune) and wonder if anyone would like to take it off my hands. The only problem is it never seemed to work just right. I think there is a loose wire in the harness that will intermittently cause the car to lose timing signal and the car will go to a safe default timing. I have tried to work with Burger Motorsports to get the harness replaced but they seemed to think they would never put out a harness with problems. Anyway, I have the serial-USB cord and the old JB1 board that I upgraded. Would $150 be a good price? It seems a replacement harness from BMI was $180 and they wanted me to ship back the faulty harness. Maybe someone in here could fix it or get a new one.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Nitr0 posted:

Should I buy a 2019 q8 with 7000km and the $6000 audio option on it?

Maybe? Not sure why a $6k audio option package should factor in that much though?

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
I like a nice stereo in my car. This isn’t really for speed but for a comfortable ride that does well in the snow, should last a while, well into 200,000km. Good tech and lane assist. Just curious. Switching from a 2016 Touareg with 150,000km on it and still seems strong.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

Cad

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Anyone seen issues with mk7 golf R models losing coolant? I get a light about every 4 months and I usually just top it off with standard mixture, only a tad low. Engine temp has never been out of the ordinary.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

Deviant posted:

Anyone seen issues with mk7 golf R models losing coolant? I get a light about every 4 months and I usually just top it off with standard mixture, only a tad low. Engine temp has never been out of the ordinary.

This happens to me with my 2015 TDI SportWagen. Grabbed coolant from the dealership and I top it off, too.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Deviant posted:

I got this with my mk6 TDI and my mk7 GTI.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Alright as long as I shouldn't be concerned.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

It’s got to be some kind of leak though, right? I get not wanting to go on the witch hunt though.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Someone told me the turbo models just burn off coolant but I can't confirm that statement.

mrtrunks84
Oct 5, 2004

The train in my head just missed it's stop
My R also did the same thing. It's a known issue with the water pump housing. Typically just a very small leak. Deutsche Auto had a good video about it with a good replacement kit if it gets too bad. If the smell doesn't bother you just top it up every so often. I haven't heard it leading to major problems.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFb6spS1_cw

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

mrtrunks84 posted:

My R also did the same thing. It's a known issue with the water pump housing. Typically just a very small leak. Deutsche Auto had a good video about it with a good replacement kit if it gets too bad. If the smell doesn't bother you just top it up every so often. I haven't heard it leading to major problems.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFb6spS1_cw

This is great, now I have a starting point. I've never noticed a smell, but my nose isn't very keen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Nitr0 posted:

I like a nice stereo in my car. This isn’t really for speed but for a comfortable ride that does well in the snow, should last a while, well into 200,000km. Good tech and lane assist. Just curious. Switching from a 2016 Touareg with 150,000km on it and still seems strong.

i dont think i would buy a modern audi and expect 200k kms.