Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Warmachine posted:

No idea on the Cooler Master PSUs. My last bucket of PSUs have been from SilverStone or Corsair, and I haven't had a problem with either. Given the relative price between the Corsair and SilverStone 750s (and the fact the Corsairs are basically vaporware at this point) I'd give serious consideration to the SilverStone. My only comment is that the Corsair has individually sleeved cables that are extremely easy to bend and move around, while the SilverStone cables are stiff plastic "ribbons."

I'm not sure where they get off saying that makes cable management easier on the Amazon ad. :psyduck:

Yeah I picked up a Silverstone SX700-PT and those cables, who the hell thought that one up? It took a lot of work to get them decent. I have an old Silverstone Strider sitting around an am wondering, would it be stupid to risk using the sleeved modular cables from that PSU? The answer is probably yes I'm guessing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Yes with a capital Y, never reuse modular PSU cables except if it's exactly the same make and model.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

If you were especially motivated you could probably do a pin test with a multimeter. Custom cables aren’t cheap.

Rhaka
Feb 15, 2008

Practice knighthood and learn
the art that dignifies you

Cursed build. At least I managed to get an order for a NR200P in from Overclockers this morning.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
drat didn’t caselabs go out of business for something similar? That’s messed up.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

B&H has the SF750 in stock for $199 - almost tempted to order it from the UK.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

ijyt posted:

Wahaha360 just showed a glimpse of the "budget" version of the FormD P1, the Mesh-Licious (working name lol).

Ali of Optimum Tech should have a video on this case in the last week of December! Photo updates here: https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/mesh-licious-14-5l-vertical-280aio-mainstream-case.14608/post-231181

ijyt fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Dec 12, 2020

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own."

Rhaka posted:

Cursed build. At least I managed to get an order for a NR200P in from Overclockers this morning.
That's a bummer, the T1 is such a cool case but they've really had a hill to climb this year with production and distribution.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I'm just happy it wasnt a noncommittal statement that indicates their vanishing or some sort of doubling down. It seems like they're owning responsibility, even though it looks mostly out of their hands. Seem like good people, and its nice that they aren't going the route seemingly everyone has been going the past few years.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
I wanted to share the fruits of my weekend's labours (and, realistically, the last 6 months of learning, planning and stock chasing)

Still a few more cosmetic changes to make, such as getting a monitor arm, cable tidying around the table and moving the PC onto a lower table to clear up desk space, but I'm very happy with my efforts, especially given this is the first PC I've built in 15 years.

Please excuse the sad lily, and thanks to anyone itt who offered help or advice.

Case: nr200p
GPU: 3080 FE
CPU: 5600x
Cooler: Fuma 2
Mobo: Gigabyte b550i AORUS ITX
RAM: Crucial Ballistix 32GB
Storage: WD SN550
PSU: Corsair SF600
Monitor: LG 27GL850-B
Keyboard: Logitech g513
Mouse: Logitech G Pro
Mousepad: Aukey
Fans: Arctic p12, noctua A12x15

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own."

very clean :golfclap:

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
To offset that very nice clean look of that black setup here is my brown and tan vomit.

I got it together today and deshrouded my zotac 3080 trinity. Stock fans was ok, but the noctuas cool better and have lower noise.
I'll play with funnels to direct the air flow better later.

Might buy 2 more nf-a12 fans for the cpu cooler though, I mis-remembered what fans I had..
The NH-U12 is a super tight fit in this case. the tops of the heat pipes are just touching the mesh on the side panel.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
To be honest the spinning rust drive in any SFF case is way worse than a few cables and mismatched colors :v:

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Yeah, I want m2 ssd sizes to go up/drop in price. My 1TB m2 is too small, hence keeping the rust spinner for storage still.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

I really like how the nr200 mounts 3.5 inch hdds. I bought a 10tb drive a few years ago thinking I'd need it for all my storage and backups and that I'd never have to upgrade it, so I threw it in my nr200. I barely use it lol

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

orcane posted:

To be honest the spinning rust drive in any SFF case is way worse than a few cables and mismatched colors :v:

I dunno, I saw this on the r/sffpc subreddit and it made me want to convert my mid-tower Plex server into a SFF PC:

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Without a doubt my 4TB Seagate is the loudest part of my PC. As soon as I can replace it with another 4TB 2.5” SSD I will.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
That's why I like my H200i. 240mm AIO, atx power supply, full size graphics card, 4tb hdd and 2tb ssd all fit nicely!

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Butterfly Valley posted:

I wanted to share the fruits of my weekend's labours (and, realistically, the last 6 months of learning, planning and stock chasing)

Still a few more cosmetic changes to make, such as getting a monitor arm, cable tidying around the table and moving the PC onto a lower table to clear up desk space, but I'm very happy with my efforts, especially given this is the first PC I've built in 15 years.

Please excuse the sad lily, and thanks to anyone itt who offered help or advice.

Case: nr200p
GPU: 3080 FE
CPU: 5600x
Cooler: Fuma 2
Mobo: Gigabyte b550i AORUS ITX
RAM: Crucial Ballistix 32GB
Storage: WD SN550
PSU: Corsair SF600
Monitor: LG 27GL850-B
Keyboard: Logitech g513
Mouse: Logitech G Pro
Mousepad: Aukey
Fans: Arctic p12, noctua A12x15

Nice build!

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

teagone posted:

I dunno, I saw this on the r/sffpc subreddit and it made me want to convert my mid-tower Plex server into a SFF PC:

I have that same case for my plex server and can attest to it working very well.

A PC Game
May 7, 2007
Looks like many FormD T1 pre-orders are going to be delayed to March 2021 or later. Anyone know a good dirt cheap sff case that can fit a 3080 (TUF, Founder's, or XC3) for temporary use?

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Whelp just committed to spending more on my SFF build. Newegg sat on my node 202 case + psu order for 2 weeks and then when it shipped they actually sent one of Fractal's big rear end cases instead. I said screw it and returned their dumb Fractal and ordered a Sliger CL530.

So now I need a psu. Current options look to be EVGA Supernova 650 for $117, Silverstone SST-SX650-G for $123, or the Corsair SF600 for $145. Thoughts?

Reviews seem to put the Silverstone and Corsair really close but I guess previously the Corsair was actually cheaper instead of $20 more so they say go with Corsair. Not sure how the EVGA compares.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

A PC Game posted:

Looks like many FormD T1 pre-orders are going to be delayed to March 2021 or later. Anyone know a good dirt cheap sff case that can fit a 3080 (TUF, Founder's, or XC3) for temporary use?

NR200 if you want to stay SFF.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

FuzzySlippers posted:

Whelp just committed to spending more on my SFF build. Newegg sat on my node 202 case + psu order for 2 weeks and then when it shipped they actually sent one of Fractal's big rear end cases instead. I said screw it and returned their dumb Fractal and ordered a Sliger CL530.

So now I need a psu. Current options look to be EVGA Supernova 650 for $117, Silverstone SST-SX650-G for $123, or the Corsair SF600 for $145. Thoughts?

Reviews seem to put the Silverstone and Corsair really close but I guess previously the Corsair was actually cheaper instead of $20 more so they say go with Corsair. Not sure how the EVGA compares.

Good thing they sent you the wrong case. I have the Node 202, and while it's fine, especially for the price, I think the CL530 will be a better case overall.

What will you be powering in this build? I can confirm the EVGA will happily run a 3700X and RTX 3080 FE with no problems. I eventually ended up undervolting the GPU but only for thermal reasons, not explicitly to reduce power consumption for the PSU.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

HappyCapybaraFamily posted:

Good thing they sent you the wrong case. I have the Node 202, and while it's fine, especially for the price, I think the CL530 will be a better case overall.

What will you be powering in this build? I can confirm the EVGA will happily run a 3700X and RTX 3080 FE with no problems. I eventually ended up undervolting the GPU but only for thermal reasons, not explicitly to reduce power consumption for the PSU.

Yeah though the node 202 + lovely combo psu was like $130 and the CL530 is $185 by itself and I'm looking at another $100+ in PSU. At least everything is higher quality.

The CL530 is definitely a much better fit for my ugly imac project.

Just a 2060, 3700x, and an nvme ssd. I was planning on being cheap and taking my chances with the combo 450w but it seems like I might as well bump up to 600/650 since there doesn't seem to be any 450w deals. Sounds like the EVGA would very much work for me then.

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

IIRC the Corsair SF600 Gold is 125 U$D msrp and the SF600 Platinum is 145 U$D msrp.

The extra $20 lands you a better efficiency rating and individually sleeved cables which is well worth the surcharge imho.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
Be aware that Corsair recently had a recall on some of their SFX units.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/15829/corsair-sf-series-psu-recall

Check the lot code if you do order one. Corsair will replace it for free if you do get a recall one.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Saw a like new Amazon warehouse deal on an SF600 plat that put the prices much closer together and jumped on it. I wouldn't be eager to buy an actually used psu but warehouse deals are usually just unboxed.

It would actually be nice if its a recall since I'd get a definitely non-used one for the reduced price lol

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

denereal visease posted:

IIRC the Corsair SF600 Gold is 125 U$D msrp and the SF600 Platinum is 145 U$D msrp.

The extra $20 lands you a better efficiency rating and individually sleeved cables which is well worth the surcharge imho.

From what I've seen in reviews, the fan curve on the platinum unit is much less aggressive, so it ends up being quieter as well - worth considering if noise is important.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
Any thoughts on the Louqe Ghost S1? I haven’t built a rig in about ten years, and that was some massive wheezing rgb beast. But lately, i’ve been fantasizing about a new dual boot hackintosh/gaming build in the itx form factor, and that case is close to checking all the boxes.

I’m planning on using a 5700xt, but the main limiting factor on cases for me is storage bays. I need to fit at least 3 ssds, and 1 3.5” hdd.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Head Bee Guy posted:

Any thoughts on the Louqe Ghost S1? I haven’t built a rig in about ten years, and that was some massive wheezing rgb beast. But lately, i’ve been fantasizing about a new dual boot hackintosh/gaming build in the itx form factor, and that case is close to checking all the boxes.

I’m planning on using a 5700xt, but the main limiting factor on cases for me is storage bays. I need to fit at least 3 ssds, and 1 3.5” hdd.

Those drives won't fit in the Loque unless you get some top hats for it.

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

Anyone else itt with the Strix X570-I try the v3001 BIOS yet?

NicelyNice
Feb 13, 2004

citrus

Head Bee Guy posted:

I love my Ghost S1, but those drives are not gonna fit - it's a tight case. The HDD isn't gonna fit in there period without a top hat and the airflow is gonna be bad on a gaming build. I would look to a different case if you want that much storage

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
My friends, I have seen the NR200 light. It was a shock moving from the 10.2L Node 202 to the 17L monster I now have - an even bigger shock when I saw that the GPU thermals were 10C lower even after I uncorked the undervolt. I got a 3070FE so the backside of the GPU needed the ventilation, and most SFF cases with sandwich layout just weren't gonna cut it.

The issue I have is that it's just one drive bay away from being a mini tower. :( I'll probably get used to it after a little while but I'm definitely compromising.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

If you want something smaller that can at least approach the thermal performance, the ncase m1 still exists.

$$$ though, and tower cooling support takes a big hit.

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

denereal visease posted:

This didn't solve my issues with random reboots (need to send Asus a support ticket) but it did provide access to the Curve Optimizer :)

e: looks like it removed the cap on the fan curve that forces 100% PWM signal above 86.5*C

Head Bee Guy posted:

Any thoughts on the Louqe Ghost S1?
+1 to the M1, I think that the NCase is going to be your best option if you want 3x2.5" SSDs and a 3.5" drive in a small form factor case. Really happy with it as a first SFF case.

denereal visease fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Dec 17, 2020

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

denereal visease posted:

denereal visease posted:

This didn't solve my issues with random reboots
This BIOS has actually made the issue worse over the past 24 hours and I'm getting rebooted every ~30mins so far today. I do not recommend this BIOS to anyone else with this board.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Do any of you guys have a 5800X or 5900X to help me activate a game code? Or does anyone actually want Farcry 6? I think my code expires at the end of the year.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

VulgarandStupid posted:

Do any of you guys have a 5800X or 5900X to help me activate a game code? Or does anyone actually want Farcry 6? I think my code expires at the end of the year.

Yes to both? If you've got a NVidia account, I could try trading you for CoD: BO CW (jesus gently caress they need shorter names) that I've got spare from buying a 3080.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

DrDork posted:

Yes to both? If you've got a NVidia account, I could try trading you for CoD: BO CW (jesus gently caress they need shorter names) that I've got spare from buying a 3080.

I’m down. Can you PM me discord or steam info?