Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
jedi are honor lords who have been brainwashed since birth. they are traumatized, like batman.

Sith should be using big machine guns though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

DildenAnders posted:

Dark Forces 2: Jedi Knight is better than any Quake game. The Falling Ship level is possibly one of the coolest (if also most frustrating) in all FPS. I don't understand why there haven't been any other games where you're a Jedi that still uses large amounts of guns in addition to force powers.

I played Jedi Knight 2 and 3 where you pretty much never really needed to use anything else than the Lightsaber and sometimes maybe the sniper rifle or the rocket launcher(excluding the first few levels of Jedi Knight 2). I used the guns it anyway because switching between FPS and 3rd person Hack&Slash was a very unique experience and definitely the most fun to play these games.

It's a shame that the Jedi Knight games are the only good Star Wars games. I had moderately high hopes for Fallen Order but it seems it just turned out to be another boring Dark Souls clone.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!
Tbh, every single thing after the OG trilogy simply ruined the mystery and coolness of Jedi.

Speaking of unpopular (?) opinion, KoTOR 2 has the most stupid storyline and NO gently caress YOU DAD villain and overall unfun experience only remedied by good-ish character development and lightsabers. :colbert:

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
My unpopular video game opinion is that the star wars prequel films are good

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”

KonvexKonkav posted:

I played Jedi Knight 2 and 3 where you pretty much never really needed to use anything else than the Lightsaber and sometimes maybe the sniper rifle or the rocket launcher(excluding the first few levels of Jedi Knight 2). I used the guns it anyway because switching between FPS and 3rd person Hack&Slash was a very unique experience and definitely the most fun to play these games.

It's a shame that the Jedi Knight games are the only good Star Wars games. I had moderately high hopes for Fallen Order but it seems it just turned out to be another boring Dark Souls clone.
Jedi Outcast (aka Jedi Knight 2 in the most confusing naming scheme of all time) is fun but definitley the light saber is the best part of it, as the shooting is a bit of a slog.
In Jedi Knight, the light saber is a very powerful melee weapon but probably not even the best weapon you get. If you can manage old graphics, I really strongly recommend playing Jedi Knight. It's IMO the best old school FPS, like Quake/Doom where your character is just running around at 70mph shooting everything in sight but with really good level design, interesting force powers, the light saber, and even really good sound design (if you like Star Wars at least).

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Rutibex posted:

jedi are honor lords who have been brainwashed since birth. they are traumatized, like batman.

episode 7-9 should have been about han solo's son going through his rebellious phase by becoming a gun kata jedi being like "gently caress you uncle luke u arent even my real dad who is cool and dual wields blasters" instead of joining the dark side imo

well ok episode 7-9 should never have existed in the first place but assuming a universe where it will have been made

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

fridge corn posted:

This is a popular opinion now that all the children the movies were made for are adults.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Star Wars reminds me of Bioshock Infinite in that I only saw the 3 prequels once in the cinema each and thought they were pretty good and to be honest I haven't thought of them since and it reminds me of how Bioshock Infinite is a game that everyone loved at the time but when you read the opinions on here its always called one of the worst games ever and utter dogshit and hot garbage.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

is pepsi ok posted:

This is a popular opinion now that all the children the movies were made for are adults.

i was a child the movies were made for but phew those things stank to high heaven

well, ok. it gave my friends and i a socially acceptable excuse to play anime samurai qui gon jin vs darth maul swordfights with elephant grass shoots at the time

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

am I the first to say that I prefer reading over voice acting and don't really consider adding full voiceover to Disco Elysium to be an improvement

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

I liked the 1st prequel movie at the time it came out since I was about 10 or so when I watched it. By the second prequel, I was already old enough to recognize some flaws which became more and more apparent upon rewatching them. I never watched the 3rd one as a result.

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
Speaking of Starwars and video games, it's like the perfect IP for most any genre. Flight Sim, racing, hack and slash, FPS, action adventure, the list goes on. What happened to Lucasarts?

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

EA happened.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

fridge corn posted:

To be fair, there's a great story in the prequels, but it's told very poorly.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

KonvexKonkav posted:

I liked the 1st prequel movie at the time it came out since I was about 10 or so when I watched it. By the second prequel, I was already old enough to recognize some flaws which became more and more apparent upon rewatching them. I never watched the 3rd one as a result.

The 3rd one is the best one!

tango alpha delta posted:

To be fair, there's a great story in the prequels, but it's told very poorly.

Yeah, I think I have more appreciation for what the films were trying to do than what they actually do

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
prime target for a whole rear end remake imo

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

DildenAnders posted:

Jedi Outcast (aka Jedi Knight 2 in the most confusing naming scheme of all time) is fun but definitley the light saber is the best part of it, as the shooting is a bit of a slog.
In Jedi Knight, the light saber is a very powerful melee weapon but probably not even the best weapon you get. If you can manage old graphics, I really strongly recommend playing Jedi Knight. It's IMO the best old school FPS, like Quake/Doom where your character is just running around at 70mph shooting everything in sight but with really good level design, interesting force powers, the light saber, and even really good sound design (if you like Star Wars at least).

They expanded on the lightsaber combat even more in Jedi Academy, which has one of the lamest stories in the entire Star Wars EU but probably the best lightsabering of any game ever.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i dont have an opinion on star wars because its boring but dark forces was a good fps with nice sounds

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Shibawanko posted:

i dont have an opinion on star wars because its boring but dark forces was a good fps with nice sounds

As long as "good" includes inscrutable unexplained "puzzles", and nearly impossible to navigate spaces with no clue where to go.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
I never saw a Star War until my teens, so I think the series is fine even if In sick of hearing about it, but Rogue Squadron 2 was really good.

vudan
Dec 11, 2010
Playing cyberpunk on a 6 year old machine. gtx970, 8gb ram on a hdd...medium settings with medium populated crowds seems okay, even with ambient occlusion on medium. Guess I'm lucky here but I haven't tested frame rates.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Outpost22 posted:

Speaking of Starwars and video games, it's like the perfect IP for most any genre. Flight Sim, racing, hack and slash, FPS, action adventure, the list goes on. What happened to Lucasarts?

The other good star wars game was pod racer

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

Outpost22 posted:

Disney shut it down when they bought the package. Not sure if they were still making anything at that point.

Early 90's Lucas Arts was a hit factory.

e: Oh...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_LucasArts_games

I guess they had become a Star Wars game factory at the end.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Bronze Fonz posted:

Disney shut it down when they bought the package. Not sure if they were still making anything at that point.

Early 90's Lucas Arts was a hit factory.

e: Oh...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_LucasArts_games

I guess they had become a Star Wars game factory at the end.

Early on they were banned from making anything star wars for fear of hurting the precious IP. Their final form being the opposite, making nothing but star wars for fear of losing the money from the precious IP.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Rutibex posted:

Sith should be using big machine guns though

It's that, yeah. They're indoctrinated into never using blasters but Kyle Katarn is basically self-taught so he becomes a jedi or sith master over a handful of days and happily slings a rail gun still

Jedi Knight was made in the Quake era when it made sense for Force Speed to let you run so fast that you could gib yourself if you hit a wall. And Force Blind would max out the contrast on your opponent's monitor, literally hurting their eyes in real life. And Force Sight turns your screen slightly green and causes loud mystical music to play on the speakers of anyone standing near you

No levitation or whatever, that's for babies. Hurl tons of debris at people only

E: I guess I didn't spell it out but just to be clear, Jedi Knight was a fantastic game for these reasons

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Dec 14, 2020

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Sith likely think guns are for the proles.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Ghost Leviathan posted:

They are a bit redundant as a personal defense weapon when you can shoot lightning from your hands, to be fair. And it's not like they are opposed to using gunships or telling their troops to use blasters in warfare.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Mr. Lobe posted:

They are a bit redundant as a personal defense weapon when you can shoot lightning from your hands, to be fair. And it's not like they are opposed to using gunships or telling their troops to use blasters in warfare.

That's what I mean, yeah. Sith basically believe themselves rightful rulers of the universe with their dark magic, and blasters are for the help.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I think that the sith must do the same indoctrination poo poo that the jedi do but instead of demanding that you be a stoic virgin they demand that you be an angry one. Still no sex allowed though

Kyle Katarn fucks, so a few space beers after even learning that he's force sensitive he's able to kill an entire room of stormtroopers by just squinting angrily at them (yes this was actually a force power in the game Jedi Knight, for like 20 seconds literally everything that you see just dies)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Emperor Sheev fucks tho

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Emperor Sheev fucks tho

Anakin's mom didn't, thus balancing the force.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
When sith make a blaster they make it big enough to destroy aldaraan

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Avirosb posted:

Anakin's mom didn't, thus balancing the force.
I think she just lied about that because she was embarrassed about getting really drunk and waking up next to Yoda. Stop scream you should. Hangover I have.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
That one pod racing game (on the 64 I think) was p dope too

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Episode 1 Racer was in arcades too iirc. It recently got a Switch port.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

Here's the worst mission I've found in Cyberpunk so far:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgDL2ZW4o7s

On hard, that dude will one shot your character in a single combo.

The gameplay balance is incredibly hit or miss. The stealth mechanics generally work OK in most situations and that's where the game works the best, but I don't like it when games have bullet sponge enemies where the PC can just die in one hit. That above mission seems as though it was designed so that you just have to cheese the AI for minutes straight - who approved that?

the boxing in the game is really poo poo. im playing on very hard and the best way i can see to box is to just never throw a punch and only do counterattacks. spacing your moves or circling doesnt do anything because the npcs will just track you and also leap forward 2 meters during their animations.

the cyberpunk world seems really dead. its large, sure. but its just a lot of space with nothing there to do. gta solves this by making everything driveable. the whole world is a network of roads connecting the actual hubs with things to do. unfortunately in cyberpunk a lot of the world isnt driveable, or at least it is often easier to go on foot. then you really see how dead the world is. sure i have crowds on very high but its not like they do anything.

also the skill tree is dogshit, a bunch of +5% modifiers to things like gun damage but only if you hit someone in the arm. the capstone abilities offer a bit of interesting things but gd havent game devs realized statistical modifiers are boring.

barkbell fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Dec 14, 2020

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

My official unbiased and 100% correct SW Games Tier List:

Tie Fighter (with X Wing)
Kotor 1
Battlefront 2 (the OC one, not the EA reboots)
Jedi Outcast & Academy (including MP)
Empire At War
Rebellion (it's janky as gently caress but still love it)
Dark Forces
Rep Commando
Trilogy Arcade
Rogue Squadron
Kotor 2
Force Unleashed

Haven't played / Will not play

Lego Starwars
Fall Order
EA Battlegrounds reboots
Squadrons

The rest:

????

Galewolf fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Dec 14, 2020

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The Lego games are for the most part literally just collectathon platformers. Apparently they're pretty good for kids, but basically blatant timesinks.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Galewolf posted:

My official unbiased and 100% correct SW Games Tier List:

Tie Fighter (with X Wing)
Kotor 1
Galactic Battlegrounds 2 (the OC one, not the reboots)
Jedi Outcast & Academy (including MP)
Empire At War
Rebellion (it's janky as gently caress but still love it)
Dark Forces
Rep Commando
Trilogy Arcade
Rogue Squadron
Kotor 2
Force Unleashed

Haven't played / Will not play

Lego Starwars
Fall Order
EA Battlegrounds reboots
Squadrons

The rest:

????

That list is missing the original Battlefront 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Oh, I meant Battlefront 2, my bad.