Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Onmi posted:

Oh good we've entered the "Why doesn't Hori kill more children" part of the thread discussion

they're not real children, little buddy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
I think it's incredibly stupid and just plain not caring to read posts to respond to "It feels like the heroes don't really have any stakes in this compared to the villains who are having their main named members drop like flies." with "Oh you just want him to kill children don't you!"

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Tons of Heroes just died.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

It just dawned upon me that Miriko and the others could potentially get back to 100% after all this if Eri can control her power enough to take them back a few days. She's potentially the most important healer in the entire series.

Eri's ain't rewinding poo poo.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

MonsterEnvy posted:

Tons of Heroes just died.

A bunch of people with 12 panels of screentime each and some loving C Listers who are probably still gonna walk away isn't exactly the same as Twice and Compress. Especially when all those basically nameless heroes will be replaced next arc with an even bigger more expanded roster of heroes if this manga does what this manga has done repeatedly.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Kyte posted:

Eri's ain't rewinding poo poo.

6 months later she will be able to

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I think it's incredibly stupid and just plain not caring to read posts to respond to "It feels like the heroes don't really have any stakes in this compared to the villains who are having their main named members drop like flies." with "Oh you just want him to kill children don't you!"

No, but it's way funnier.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

6 months later she will be able to

Cool, she can heal maybe 1 or 2 people ever 6 months. What about the other hundred or so crippled heroes?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Iida using Bakugo's full hero name is weirdly adorable

Also Compress's speech bubble when he said "I love the league." is shaped like a heart

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I feel like forcing a child who just went through severe emotional trauma because of her Quirk to heal up *checks notes* 60% or more of hero society doesn't necessarily jive with a hero's MO in this manga

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Eustace posted:

I swear I'd trade 50 of this over bloated cast heros/students just to keep 1 interesting villain. Im still salty over twice dying

I feel like this reveal doesn't actually make Compress that interesting. Assuming he actually dies here, giving him this whole backstory reveal and connection to a guy who was supposedly one of the three most famous villains in history feel pretty pointless. With Shiggy and Re-Destro, you knew their connection to the villains of the past right away and Dabi's connection to Endeavor has been hinted at for a long time, this just feels like this guy who was mostly a background character going "hey guys, I'm related to someone famous too, please care about me. Okay, goodbye forever.".

Now, that's all assuming he does actually die here. What I think would be interesting here would be if, instead of using this chance to escape or kill a bunch of people, Shigaraki uses one of his quirks to save Compress' life. It would keep Compress around so this reveal could actually be meaningful and Shigaraki giving up his chance to destroy in order to save a friend would add a new layer to him and might make some of the heroes who witness this(like Deku) rethink their opinion of him.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I don't care about the body count or whatever. I remember finding it really dumb when no one important was really dying in Naruto's war arc, so the writer just suddenly killed off Neji and only Neji. Wouldn't be much better here.

I'm just bummed that the League was set up with so much just to have it all taken away. I could begrudgingly look past All for One showing up and immediately getting defeated because All Might was the only person who could reasonably fight him, even if it did make his debut seem kind of disappointing. But now:

- The PLF seems to be in complete shambles. Furthermore, heroes like Slide n' Go that were said to be secret supporters just got arrested and defeated with no fanfare.
- Re-Destro got smacked down and hasn't done anything of note since.
- Dr. War Crimes got arrested and taken into custody.
- The Quirk Bullets are all gone, as I recall, and didn't really do anything. The only real effect from their introduction was that they allowed the heroes to have Eri to potentially deus ex machina their ailments.
- Twice underwent fairly compelling character development and then immediately was killed after obtaining a new power.
- Compress just revealed his backstory and now he has a fatal injury.

I guess there's still the High End Nomus, but I can't imagine they're going to last much longer. I'm really just hoping that something from MVA sticks around as a permanent addition.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Rhonne posted:

Cool, she can heal maybe 1 or 2 people ever 6 months. What about the other hundred or so crippled heroes?

So far from what we know the only real healer can MAYBE heal a broken arm or so, or kept All Might alive to the point where he won't be dying but all his powers are slowly leaving him because he doesn't have the strength to do anything anymore. Miriko lost a leg, but in 6 months will be able to get back to 100%. That isn't insignificant, regardless of the fact that at this point Eri can only do something like this a couple of times per year. Eri is also a child and still growing. Her powers most likely will also continue to grow.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Eri won't need forcing to want to help people, but it's a moot point anyway because her rewind power presumably has to stockpile for months before it's potent enough to heal one or two person who got hurt during the raid. As far as undo buttons are concerned, this one is relatively well balanced.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Yeah I agree. I think it's an interesting thing to slowly evolve over the entirety of the series. Since this is all a recall of Deku of his childhood anyway, maybe eventually Eri will be more important in his timeline as an adult eventually.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Dr Subterfuge posted:

Eri won't need forcing to want to help people, but it's a moot point anyway because her rewind power presumably has to stockpile for months before it's potent enough to heal one or two person who got hurt during the raid. As far as undo buttons are concerned, this one is relatively well balanced.

The problem is that it's extremely easy to space events apart so that she's ready to rewind again should Hori want to do something else that's meaningful in the moment but he doesn't want to actually stick to longterm.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Oh Snapple! posted:

The problem is that it's extremely easy to space events apart so that she's ready to rewind again should Hori want to do something else that's meaningful in the moment but he doesn't want to actually stick to longterm.

Assuming that rewind takes power proportional to the amount of time it's undoing, there's a glut of heroes starting today that all deserve to be rewound. They are going to require progressively more power to help. That presumably is going to be balanced against any new injuries. I agree that it's easy to do this wrong, but I don't think the setup is doomed.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I want Kohei Horikoshi to start killing off these anime teens

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Dec 13, 2020

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

It just dawned upon me that Miriko and the others could potentially get back to 100% after all this if Eri can control her power enough to take them back a few days. She's potentially the most important healer in the entire series.

It's a power stockpile. They're going to have to triage.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Midnight might not be dead, since the only hero we saw get killed on-panel was Crust, and he's the only one with a black background

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

- The PLF seems to be in complete shambles. Furthermore, heroes like Slide n' Go that were said to be secret supporters just got arrested and defeated with no fanfare.
- Re-Destro got smacked down and hasn't done anything of note since.

Worth remembering that basically the entirety of the PLF is still following in Machia's wake of destruction.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I'm fine with most of the named characters not dying, and especially with the kids not dying. There is an absolute mountain of fallout and consequences from this arc, the threat of the main villain firmly established and a ton of civilians injured or dead, it still feels weighty and meaningful without murdering more of the main cast.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

what are the odds they actually stick to 'hey deku if you gently caress up your arms again they won't be much use'

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Very low tbh.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Aurora posted:

what are the odds they actually stick to 'hey deku if you gently caress up your arms again they won't be much use'

0%. Or he'll use black whip/another one of his unknown quirk abilities to act as an exoskeleton/heal himself up and it will be a moot point regardless.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
What is even going to be left of the League of Villains after this? We got a whole arc to get attached to these guys, and now we're probably losing at least half of them.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

People crying out for "consequences"/one of the kids to die would probably have a better time reading a theoretical western version of MHA where there'd absolutely be a hamfisted school shooting analogue with a kid using a dangerous quirk.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

i don't think expecting consequences to previously declared warnings about your bones disintegrating correlates to expecting columbine

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Pretty easy bet to take on Eri using the last of her stockpile to rewind Midoriya (as the lead) and Miriko (as the author favorite) or maybe Miriko's arm is gone for good and she's just the best new instructor at UA for the rest of the series.

But otherwise feels like we're going to dial back the stakes a bit so the kids can have some school year of non-world threatening shenanigans.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Prosthesis are a thing, so Mirko could just go with that

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
I'm just not really sure what kind of consequences people want? Characters die and they complain they weren't important enough characters. People get hosed up in ways that will leave them out of commission for a while (how long was best jeanist gone for?) and people complain they'll just get robot limbs or get time warped back. Characters, like dabi and momo, lose and people complain about it non-stop. They win and people complain about it.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Mirko's going to lose an arm, Deku's going to lose use of his arm, then they're going to train together.

Eustace
Feb 26, 2009
Im going to be honest here. Im totally biased towards the villains because Im a sucker for the scrappy underdog that succeeds despite the odds. All I want is for mr.compress to not die and for dabi to incinerate his lovely dad

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Deku using a time skip to make blackwhip hands would be kinda cool

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Eustace posted:

Im going to be honest here. Im totally biased towards the villains because Im a sucker for the scrappy underdog that succeeds despite the odds. All I want is for mr.compress to not die and for dabi to incinerate his lovely dad

Between Gigantomachia, the nomu army, and Shigaraki's new quirks, I'm not sure you can call the villains "scrappy underdogs" anymore.

Eustace
Feb 26, 2009

Rhonne posted:

Between Gigantomachia, the nomu army, and Shigaraki's new quirks, I'm not sure you can call the villains "scrappy underdogs" anymore.

Gigantomachia is probably getting captured, most of the bonus are dead and they can't make more, and shiggy's body can't handle his quirk because he got pulled out of the oven too soon

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Eustace posted:

Gigantomachia is probably getting captured, most of the bonus are dead and they can't make more, and shiggy's body can't handle his quirk because he got pulled out of the oven too soon

And it took the combined power of most of the heroes in the country to get to this point and most of them have either suffered horribly debilitating injuries or died.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

And it's hard to care that much because we've gotten so little time with them. Gran Torino aside I think most of the characters we're supposed to care about are getting through this battered but alive.

Like I dunno, most of the "losses" our heroes have suffered this arc haven't felt particularly impactful outside of Hawks and Torino. And Hawks is still alive probably. The loss with the most weight was Twice's death and technically that was a win for the good guys and now we've got another villain preparing to sacrifice his life while having an inner monologue about how much he loves his pals. The Dabi reveal eroding trust in society is a pretty big deal but loss of trust and loss of life aren't super comparable narratively I feel, it still comes off to me like our plucky underdogs the League of Villains have lost a lot more this arc than the heroes.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
I agree that they spent a certain period of time as not scrappy underdogs, but it feels like most of that time was spent offscreen before it was all taken away again and the most likeable member of the League was killed.

I honestly have no idea what Horikoshi is doing. He keeps bloating the good guys' side with characters and making the villains go through hell. This is like some kind of weird opposite day storytelling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eustace
Feb 26, 2009

Viridiant posted:

I agree that they spent a certain period of time as not scrappy underdogs, but it feels like most of that time was spent offscreen before it was all taken away again and the most likeable member of the League was killed.

I honestly have no idea what Horikoshi is doing. He keeps bloating the good guys' side with characters and making the villains go through hell. This is like some kind of weird opposite day storytelling.

At this point it's got to be intentional, right? I mean Compress just did the self sacrifice I love my nakama speech that you'd normally get from like the secondary protagonist of your typical shounen