Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Not that I'm defending it, but that seemed like Saturn completely lost his poo poo after Bell (somehow) dropped him on his head during a hiptoss

And then it being WWE, they had Bradshaw stiff the poo poo out of Saturn in a following match

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

DeathChicken posted:

Not that I'm defending it, but that seemed like Saturn completely lost his poo poo after Bell (somehow) dropped him on his head during a hiptoss

And then it being WWE, they had Bradshaw stiff the poo poo out of Saturn in a following match

In all fairness, he was unlikely to really get much to do anyway considering how hosed up on drugs he was. Either way, throwing the guy out of the ring onto his neck after stiffing him first is loving gross.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 42 minutes!
Here's my list of weird to me things that got over...

Diamond Dallas Page
Road Dogg hump handle slam
Slapnuts
"Big Sexy" Kevin Nash
The word "besmirch"
the irish whip
the people's elbow
Ron Simmon's just saying drat

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I hate Jeff Jarrett with a passion but even I can't help but love the absurdity of calling people slapnuts. It's not cool or a sick burn, it's just so loving stupid it wraps around to hilarious.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Jeff Jarrett's career after chopping off his golden locks was pure 'Hello fellow youths'.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Was slapnuts actually ever over? It always sounded so stupid to me. I assumed everyone but Jeff Jarrett felt the same.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

davidbix posted:

To expand on what MRT said...

It was a lot more than a couple. One of these days, I need to do a proper article about it, maybe when the new podcast is going and I do an episode or episodes on it, but the gist is this:

* The big series of lawsuits (they were all technically separate cases docketed individually, but depositions etc covered all of the cases), led by Sonny Onoo and Bobby Walker with Cary Ichter as lead attorney, came in ~2000ish. Joining Onoo and Walker were Thunderbolt Patterson, Hardbody Harrison, Pez Whatley I think, and mix of half a dozen guys who either trained at the Power Plant, got a tryout, and/or were rejected for a tryout. Stevie Ray and Ernest Miller would sue later with Ichter as their lawyer but I don't think they were grouped together with the other suits, though I don't know why. According to Ichter, every single wrestler who stuck with the case got a settlement, and while he obviously can't disclose the amount himself, it's always been reported that each wrestler got in excess of $1 million. (TBS's stated corporate ethos and how they conflict with the actual institutional racial issues in the company seem like the most obvious reason for why they fought the suit for so long after WCW's assets were sold, even though they had an absolute loser of a case.)

* Like MRT said, WCW was so institutionally racist—according to Ichter, as bad as any company he's ever seen in his many years of doing discrimination litigation—that anyone BIPOC coming into contact with them probably had a legitimate case. And whatever you want to say about Onoo and the character he played, he was still subjected to racism far beyond that (the "Chinese menu" email forward that got printed out/posted on the office bulletin board and featured items like "Cum Drop Soup" being the most famous example). And unlike the others, he was also alleging that he was misclassified as an independent contractor because of his race, the main argument being that Jimmy Hart had been granted employee status even though they both had similar roles in the office, with Onoo even having a corporate credit card.

There are some asterisks, though, with the big one being Rick Reeves (not to be confused with "Hard Rock" Ricky Reeves from the JCP era; this guy debuted in 1992). He never did any work for WCW and WCW's lawyers stressed that there was no evidence he reached out beyond his own claims that he repeatedly made inquiries for years. But he did allege that racist comments were made some of the times he was rejected, and we know from other stuff in the case, including the testimony of non-parties, that something like that isn't remotely a stretch.

* There's testimony about Booker getting the belt being in response to the lawsuits, but I can't find it right now.
When was the infamous Russo interview about not pushing non- (let's be honest, white)Americans? Because Turner must've loved that being out there in light of those cases.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Ganso Bomb posted:

Was slapnuts actually ever over? It always sounded so stupid to me. I assumed everyone but Jeff Jarrett felt the same.

dan ryckert was a big fan and he's my still my rubric for what a generic wrestling fan is into

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I also assume the Booker T push falls into the usual bucket that those kinds of racist institutions do when they have to make a token gesture to prove they're "not" racist: Would absolutely not have happened otherwise, but when they felt they had to do it, they picked someone talented enough that they can plausibly claim it's not tokenism and is a genuine recognition of Booker's ability and charisma.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Ganso Bomb posted:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/WCW-Slapnuts-Blvd-Street-Sign-Good-Condition-Little-Faded-Thats-About-It-/233114668748

$150 over

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

Slapnuts blvd sign giving a better return than beanie babies.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
I have a saved eBay search for Slapnuts Blvd and that sign has been sitting there at $150 for at least a year. Too rich for my blood!

I did get a LISTEN UP SLAPNUTS shirt for like $5 though.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

DeathChicken posted:

That's exactly what happened, and Saturn took full responsibility for being an idiot when he watched the tape back during a YouShoot.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

In wrestle logic, what's the rationale for a wrestler's theme music playing when they do an unexpected run-in? Do they inform the sound guy first, or are the wrestlers implanted with RFID chips that cue up their music when they enter?

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Nostradingus posted:

In wrestle logic, what's the rationale for a wrestler's theme music playing when they do an unexpected run-in? Do they inform the sound guy first, or are the wrestlers implanted with RFID chips that cue up their music when they enter?

Wrestlers have the ability to make their themesong play wherever they go.

beepo
Oct 8, 2000
Forum Veteran

Nostradingus posted:

I recall an interview with Konnan from the late 90's in one of the kayfabe wrestling magazines from the time. He said he would tip off a camera man so they could get the full run in on camera and get him more tv time. Still doesn't explain how the guys in the production truck would also know to cut to the entrance way the second he came running out, but at least kind of works as an answer if you don't think about it too much.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Nostradingus posted:

If they're anything like the old action figures, each wrestler has a chip in their foot and when they stand on certain spots their music plays.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

ChrisBTY posted:

Jeff Jarrett's career after chopping off his golden locks was pure 'Hello fellow youths'.

Jeff had a few good segments in TNA, like beating up a children's MMA class to show he was better than Kurt Angle.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Jarrett is someone who rates as "solid," rather than "outstanding" in his wrestleman parameters (like a 3~3.5 out 5) across the board, and being an upper-midcard gatekeeper is probably the highest placing on the card that works for him.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Vagabundo posted:

Jarrett is someone who rates as "solid," rather than "outstanding" in his wrestleman parameters (like a 3~3.5 out 5) across the board, and being an upper-midcard gatekeeper is probably the highest placing on the card that works for him.

Yeah but even for that he was mostly not good in that role.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

Vagabundo posted:

Jeff Jarrett was a phenomenal midcard comedy heel. It was when he pushed himself as a serious main eventer that things got lousy.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

well he ain't dead and he aint the RockJARRETT

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer

Silly Burrito posted:

a sock hidden in the wrestler's own pants

Two seperate socks, from Mankind and Santino Marella.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
a cool jeff jarrett moment is when he cut a promo saying austin was disrespecting the bible and austin nixed a feud between the two because he didnt want to work with a dud midcard heel

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Writer Cath posted:

Jeff Jarrett was a phenomenal midcard comedy heel. It was when he pushed himself as a serious main eventer that things got lousy.

Every time people say this I feel like I'm being gaslit, I've seen Jarrett's midcard work in the WWF and WCW and it was all loving terrible. He's never been good.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Nostradingus posted:

Presumably even in Kayfabe there’s people at Gorilla to cue people’s entry for regular appearances and they’d still be there to see people running past to hit the sound board or call the booth or whatever. Now if we do assume there’s actual production staff behind the scenes, why there isn’t any security stopping people from running in is another story.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Benne posted:

Every time people say this I feel like I'm being gaslit, I've seen Jarrett's midcard work in the WWF and WCW and it was all loving terrible. He's never been good.

i feel the same way when people say Triple H was actually super good in 1999 and 2000. I figure it's some kind of grasping justification for why he's become so important in the WWE, he must have been good at some point, right? and that's the closest people can find to a good period of his so they're like "Oh no he's actually amazing in this brief period of time totally"

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Seams posted:

a cool jeff jarrett moment is when he cut a promo saying austin was disrespecting the bible and austin nixed a feud between the two because he didnt want to work with a dud midcard heel

He did it because Jerry Jarrett stiffed him on pay when Austin was young

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Also when Austin was staring at his incredibly shortchanged paycheck, Jeff Jarrett walked up and snarked "It ain't gonna get bigger looking at it"

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Alaois posted:

i feel the same way when people say Triple H was actually super good in 1999 and 2000. I figure it's some kind of grasping justification for why he's become so important in the WWE, he must have been good at some point, right? and that's the closest people can find to a good period of his so they're like "Oh no he's actually amazing in this brief period of time totally"
He was a better wrestler pre-quad injury, obviously buoyed by being in a bunch of matches/feuds with the likes of Foley/Rock/Austin/Jericho/Angle/Benoit/etc. but once he found his heel groove in late 1999 did a pretty good job of hanging with all of the above up until the quad injury. The whole Reign of Terror/McMahon-Helmsley Facgime stuff obviously hits differently after twenty years of it.

But even if you go back and look at the Observer Awards from 2000:

Wrestler of the Year: Won
Most Outstanding Wrestler: 3rd place (behind Benoit and Kawada)
Best Box Office Draw: 2nd place (behind the Rock)
Feud of the Year: Won (vs Foley), 2nd place (vs Rock), 7th place (vs Angle)
Most Improved: 2nd (behind Angle)
Best on Interviews: 5th (behind Rock, Foley, Angle, Jericho)
Most Charismatic: 4th (behind Rock, Jericho, Austin)
Best Brawler: 2nd (behind Foley)
Match of the year:
1: Atlantis v. Villano III
2. HHH vs. Foley
6. HHH vs. Foley
7. HHH vs Jericho
8. HHH vs. Rock

Unlike Jarrett at pretty much any point in his career, people really were into HHH at a certain point, he just spent the entire 21st century so far squandering that good will. Which isn't to say anyone should have to go back and enjoy the brief flame of "HHH is pretty great", but it did exist.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
HHH was great and people loved him which is why it is much funnier he became very bad and made everyone hate him.

cauliflower jones
Nov 8, 2009
did he immediately get bad after changing his theme song to the motorhead song and if so can we draw a direct correlation

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Triple H trying to leech off of Motorhead's coolness in the age of nu-metal was one of those laughably lame boomer metalhead things that makes up Triple H's entire aesthetic. Half expect him to look directly to the camera and ask me if I've ever heard of this obscure band called Testament.

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

HHH is a dude from rich rear end part of Connecticut.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

HHH sucks

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

hHh buys weird pigs and sniffs the pigs

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

Cavauro posted:

It's not the pigs' fault.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Cavauro posted:

he even incorporated them into his mania 33 entrance

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
triple h was an extremely good plunder/blood brawl worker but i struggle to think of great performances he had in normal matches

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

HHH jumped the shark when he became a main-event nepotism case.