Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
Sorry if mentioned here already but wow did Avalon Hill screw up in the Civilization rights debacle according to the story in Sids memoir.

Sid claims Avalon Hill and Microprose were on good terms with Civilization despite the board game and played nice when distinct computer games were made. But then Avalon Hill partnered with Activision to make a Civ game and they sued Microprose. Well Avalon Hill was actually licensing Civ and other things from a British company for their board games, so Microprose bought the British company and immediately rescinded those licenses. This destroyed Avalon Hill and it was bought by Hasbro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Hand Row posted:

Sorry if mentioned here already but wow did Avalon Hill screw up in the Civilization rights debacle according to the story in Sids memoir.

Sid claims Avalon Hill and Microprose were on good terms with Civilization despite the board game and played nice when distinct computer games were made. But then Avalon Hill partnered with Activision to make a Civ game and they sued Microprose. Well Avalon Hill was actually licensing Civ and other things from a British company for their board games, so Microprose bought the British company and immediately rescinded those licenses. This destroyed Avalon Hill and it was bought by Hasbro.

Oh, that's why the best board game company ever turned to poo poo one day.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
That is some amazingly petty corporate salting of the earth, I love it.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

John F Bennett posted:

Yes, Civ 4 had an option iirc

i think it was out by 4 but it was definitely in 3 because i did it all the time :v:

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Elias_Maluco posted:

Thats cool. I want the same for Civs (advanced setup in Civ 5 had it)

Like, picking which civs you'll encounter in a game? Because that's been in there since release, in the exact same spot it was in 5, I'm pretty sure.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Like, picking which civs you'll encounter in a game? Because that's been in there since release, in the exact same spot it was in 5, I'm pretty sure.

Picking civs you don't want to encounter.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I'm sitting in my car right now, plotting out a peaceful culture Hammurabi game because I was born Wrong.

I feel like it's not the worst idea. It's like how the Gauls are good at science because they never have to care about culture. And you only need up to steel, right?

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Hand Row posted:

First rule of IP rights management: Before you litigate anything, make sure you actually own the rights.

See also: the hilariously inept Universal lawsuit against Nintendo over Donkey Kong.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

John F Bennett posted:

I like her arm movements a lot when she talks, it soothes me somehow.

The 'stop asking' button seems a great addition.

That will be useful because the second you get a second of any resource every civ will come begging for it. No you can't have my extra iron, i can see you already have 4 more iron spots than I do!

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

The Human Crouton posted:

Oh, that's why the best board game company ever turned to poo poo one day.

I know people who worked for them back in the day, and while this was the straw that broke the camel’s back, they were up poo poo creek financially for a while before then. They had heavily invested in computerized board games in the ‘80s but didn’t actually hire competent programmers, so most of their computer games were abysmal failures. They also chased RPGs, but mostly in the late 80s when the market was getting over saturated. The early 90s recession hurt them badly, and they were only just starting to get their act together with a good series of computer game releases (Kingmaker/1830/AdvCiv) when this lawsuit broke them.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

skeleton warrior posted:

I know people who worked for them back in the day, and while this was the straw that broke the camel’s back, they were up poo poo creek financially for a while before then. They had heavily invested in computerized board games in the ‘80s but didn’t actually hire competent programmers, so most of their computer games were abysmal failures. They also chased RPGs, but mostly in the late 80s when the market was getting over saturated. The early 90s recession hurt them badly, and they were only just starting to get their act together with a good series of computer game releases (Kingmaker/1830/AdvCiv) when this lawsuit broke them.

That's sad. I used to go pick up a $40 Avalon Hill game about once year just because of the name. They were always at least decent. I just got a bunch of people into House on Haunted Hill.

Can't get them into Diplomacy though. I've owned Diplomacy for 15 years, and still have not been able to get any group to play a single game with me.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Im talking about choosing what civs CAN appear, while using random civs for the AI. I know you can choose the civ for each player, but is not what Im talking about

If there is such an option, I really missed it

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Dec 12, 2020

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

guess who grabbed Sinbad one turn before me :argh:

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Nosre posted:

guess who grabbed Sinbad one turn before me :argh:

I guess at least this city can eventually canal to the ocean

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

Ragnar34 posted:

I'm sitting in my car right now, plotting out a peaceful culture Hammurabi game because I was born Wrong.

I feel like it's not the worst idea. It's like how the Gauls are good at science because they never have to care about culture. And you only need up to steel, right?

You want Computers too. The Gauls are good at Science because they can give their campus' mine adjacency boosts and they have a gently caress load of production to help shoot ahead, not because they don't need to 'worry about culture', that doesn't actually help you do science.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

culture massively helps with science though. you need culture for the policy cards and governments that massively boost your science.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
You can generally hit those in stride and production otherwise would help other districts or wonders that would give a bit of edge there anyway. The main thing that gives the Gauls a science edge is still the adjacency stuff since thats what those cards even primarily interact with, either the 100% boost effect or the +3 threshold for the 50% boost.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

it's only a minor adjacency though and you trade off not getting the equivalent from other districts. so it's much of muchness, if anything it's easier to get extra from other districts than mines. the main driver for getting +3 campuses will still be reefs, mountains, and geothermals.

they have a mine start bias which is good for any victory type, but the culture and culture bomb bonuses from mines are more significant then the ardency stuff.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
The culture bomb stuff is more significant than the culture boost itself, they're not really the same thing. Its similar to Russia's extra territory thing in opening up access to good tiles early, which helps snowball growth. Opening up the policy card stuff early doesn't necessary translate much, there's a bunch of culture focused extra culture getting cultures that can do that too that don't excel as science civs in the same way precisely because it doesn't translate into helping grantee extra adjacency. Yeah the district loss is a bit of an issue but clever mine & district placement can turn some otherwise +1 or +2 campus' into +3s which is what you need to benefit properly from the aforementioned cards in the first place.

This is to say nothing of the whole early IZ and free Apprenticeship boost that in the first place and how flexible that production surge is. I think the logic of looking at the +1 culture on mines and saying "this gets me to Enlightenment faster, therefore thats why Gaul is a science civ" is pretty flawed.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

less flawed than saying they are a good science civ based on getting minor adjacency from mines at the expense of districts, which on balance is debatably not even a bonus.

the culture bombs, culture from mines, and unique industrial zones are all much stronger reasons why they are good at science.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I miss having culture bomb people that can just straight up steal territory from enemies. Yea that might piss them off but what are they going to do when you have 2x as many units as they do? Suck on that Germany!

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

HappyCamperGL posted:

less flawed than saying they are a good science civ based on getting minor adjacency from mines at the expense of districts, which on balance is debatably not even a bonus.

the culture bombs, culture from mines, and unique industrial zones are all much stronger reasons why they are good at science.

Man good thing I mentioned those other things in my arguments!

I don't know what else to say other than, at least for Campus', mines giving adjacency instead of districts is actually really good and definitely plays a difference in practice. Unlocking natural philosophy a turn early means poo poo if you dont have adjacency in those campus' spots to begin with and Gaul can create Campus' with adjacency where other civs cant. Loosing out on district adjacency is less of a deal than you're making it out to be for Campus since their usual spots for good adjacency source actively interfere with district placement anyway but are often close to hills and minable stuff.

Rimusutera fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Dec 13, 2020

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

The Human Crouton posted:

Can't get them into Diplomacy though. I've owned Diplomacy for 15 years, and still have not been able to get any group to play a single game with me.

That’s probably why they’re still your friends.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Rimusutera posted:

Man good thing I mentioned those other things in my arguments!

I don't know what else to say other than, at least for Campus', mines giving adjacency instead of districts is actually really good and definitely plays a difference in practice. Unlocking natural philosophy a turn early means poo poo if you dont have adjacency in those campus' spots to begin with and Gaul can create Campus' with adjacency where other civs cant. Loosing out on district adjacency is less of a deal than you're making it out to be for Campus since their usual spots for good adjacency source actively interfere with district placement anyway but are often close to hills and minable stuff.

i'm not saying that adjency from mines isn't sometimes useful. it's not typically difficult to get +3 campuses using the standard mechanics. sure there will be some instances when mines will give you that bit extra, but districts aren't really significantly less reliable in that regards and the converse is also true. with gaul you have to space and plan your districts differently to be effective, but overall it's not going to make a huge difference. it's not like australia with appeal or netherlands with rivers in terms of impact. that is why it is situational/marginal at best.

you're vastly underestimating the degree to which culture matters. it's not just a couple policy cards boosting science directly; it's the multiple policies, governments, governors titles, envoys, etc from the culture tree and by getting culture from mines gives a significant impact to getting these while freeing up vital early production, and district slots for other useful things.

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

Have a friend who just has the base game. I have Rise and Fall and Gathering Storm.

He wants to play together but only wants to buy Gathering Storm (during the winter steam sale.) Will we be able to play together? Will he be missing anything good from Rise and Fall?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Gathering Storm comes with all the gameplay changes in Rise and Fall. The only thing he'll be missing is the civs that came with it. He'll miss out on Georgia's sweet Orthodox chanting soundtrack.

You can play together just fine. If he has no expansions you're limited to the base game rules, but with Gathering Storm there's no issue.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

huh, one of the new balance changes is melee units now get +5 combat against anti-cavalry instead of +10. so your warriors won't be able to blast through those defending spearmen in barb outposts as easily without support.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
its gonna give a bit of a nerf to a lot of the Warrior line UU powerhouses as well. That's probably the aim of it.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Speedball posted:

The ones they leave behind when the die just get stored in monuments. The others are where they had fights or did their special action.

I'm really starting to appreciate Hercules more, him building districts in one go is amazing.

Hercules is amazing, I'd rate him as the best hero that isn't named Sinbad. Getting 3 free districts shared between your capital and your neighbor's capital which Hercules just conquered? Building a free spaceport or three in the modern era? Thanks!

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

sullat posted:

Hercules is amazing, I'd rate him as the best hero that isn't named Sinbad. Getting 3 free districts shared between your capital and your neighbor's capital which Hercules just conquered? Building a free spaceport or three in the modern era? Thanks!

Yeah sinbad will make you rich but Hercules will loving dissolve any cities nearby you, while also massively developing your cities. Love this dude.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Beowulf is also great for just deleting troublesome enemies. And Himiko is good. Really there aren't many duds in the hero lineup.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
Hey, I just completed my final achievement from the base game! That's all of them!

...what have I done...

Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix

Albino Squirrel posted:

Hey, I just completed my final achievement from the base game! That's all of them!

...what have I done...

Did you boost any of them with a friend? Some of those I'm not sure how you'd ever get them done outside of extremely controlled circumstances.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Did the new updates change the AI so they don't give as much of a poo poo about wonders or something?

Maybe it's just because I didn't have China or someone like that in the game but I played 3 games so far on Deity with heroes/legends and I feel like I could basically build for the most part whatever wonder I wanted. I mean even Apadana was available into the renaissance and stuff

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Speedball posted:

Beowulf is also great for just deleting troublesome enemies. And Himiko is good. Really there aren't many duds in the hero lineup.

i dont think any of them are bad, just some are more situational. the base for most of them is still an above-average fighter. they did a pretty good job with the heroes i feel like

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Nucular Carmul posted:

Did you boost any of them with a friend? Some of those I'm not sure how you'd ever get them done outside of extremely controlled circumstances.
You can set up a local multiplayer game and play both sides. Fortunately I've occasionally had large chunks of time on my hands this year.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
The heroes do feel insanely strong, I feel like every game I just have to have a holy site in every city and like really max out faith so I can get a bunch of heroes and I feel like anything else is subpar

Also I just wasted 3 hours today playing on Prince by accident before I noticed, I had stolen 2 settlers and thought I was just doing insanely well :negative:

Anyway, what's the best way to use vampire castles? Is it to build them in the center of a bunch of tiles you've already developed or plop them down near an enemy in the middle of some juingle or something?

I assume it's best to do it in the middle of developed tiles?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

They copy the yields that there are when they are built, so having tile improvements beforehand is a great help, otherwise you will have to tear it down and replace it. Overall just look for the highest yields you can steal for your first two, the others can be strategic or whatever, but getting a super capital is the point of vamps.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Eimi posted:

They copy the yields that there are when they are built, so having tile improvements beforehand is a great help, otherwise you will have to tear it down and replace it. Overall just look for the highest yields you can steal for your first two, the others can be strategic or whatever, but getting a super capital is the point of vamps.

Wait so does it steal them or duplicate them? Can I put them bordering an opponent and suck their yields out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Stefan Prodan posted:

Wait so does it steal them or duplicate them? Can I put them bordering an opponent and suck their yields out?

Duplicate. So say for example you have a bunch of grassland forest hills surrounding your castle, your castle would give you 12 food and 12 production to your capital while still letting you work those tiles. The only tile that loses yields is the tile the castle is on.