Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Also mint, I think, the aroma is supposed to put things off eating it.

But yeah that thing that makes you cry when you cut it? Doesn't want to be eaten! Amazingly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

But yeah that thing that makes you cry when you cut it? Doesn't want to be eaten! Amazingly.

well then maybe their defense mechanism shouldn't be being so god damned tasty

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Oh sure when I go around attacking people with a knife they're all like "no please don't I have a family" but if that was true why would you taste like pork??? Checkmate liberals.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

Oh sure when I go around attacking people with a knife they're all like "no please don't I have a family" but if that was true why would you taste like pork??? Checkmate liberals.

there's a reason it's called 'long-pig'

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

zedprime posted:

Thanks, I don't know which part I hate the most.

the tragic food prep or the fatberg brewing in the pipes?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
How many goons are cannibals he honest

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Lib and let die posted:

there's a reason it's called 'long-pig'

Every grim dark science fiction and fantasy author has written a scene where the protagonists smell the delicious odor of pork, the fat crackling over the fire wafting through the pines. Salivating, they approach the campsite cautiously when they realize, drat idgaf I'm hungry what's done is done and I'm having some. We will serve the cause of mankind in a different way in the morning after I've had some of this delicious feast.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I heard that burning human flesh was pretty distinctive smell. To the point that one of the biggest crematoriums in california was easily discovered burning bodies improperly by a holocaust survivor.

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1988-12-30-me-1105-story.html

Lib and let die posted:

well then maybe their defense mechanism shouldn't be being so god damned tasty

They start out only a little tasty, but then they get centuries of cultivation to give higher and more potent yields. Agriculture is a hell of a drug.

I don't know if the almost totally fatal poison is weirder than the chemical that simulates pain.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

OwlFancier posted:

OwlFancier posted:

These posts are better in this order.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
A) All y’all cannibal-curious people in this thread should read the novel A Certain Hunger.

B) The reason German émigrés to the US switched from eating pork Mett to eating raw beef “cannibal sandwiches” is that the US has historically had issues with rampant trichinosis on pig farms, which only really got under control in the last 30 or so years.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

dog nougat posted:

Just eat the drat apple skins y'all.

It's me, I'm the weirdo that makes my apples pies, crisps, cobblers, and various other appley baked goods with the skins still on my apples. I like the different texture and taste the skins. Bonus points are that the skins are high in antioxidants and other good for you poo poo.

Depends on the apple, but when just eating an apple as is, the peel has a lot of flavor.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"
I never peel apples, and I also never peel carrots or potatoes. Waste of time

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Mr.Radar posted:

I've seen this Tweet in two other threads, how has it not been posted here yet?

https://mobile.twitter.com/laurenthehough/status/1337999560216616965

My brother used to do this. He was verity serious about rinsing any ground meat, especially beef. I wonder if he still does?

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

This is fine if you're safely handling and grinding fresh meat, but too many people use store bought ground beef so it's better to just advise against it across the board.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

His Divine Shadow posted:

Depends on the apple, but when just eating an apple as is, the peel has a lot of flavor.

Back in the day my roomate's GF got an apple peeler for pies or w/e, and I used to eat the peals like spaghetti.

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

i don't like peel on dried apples. the rest of the time i will happily eat the peel

as His Divine Shadow noted, my apple peeler setting is apparently messed up, and today it didn't want to peel at all so i just left the peel on

here are a couple pieces, see the pointy parts, sometimes they are sharp!

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

we get an apple CSA so every year we get like 60lbs of apples so we have to do a lot with them, but usually when we peel them we bake the skins with some salt/cinnamon/brown sugar into little crispy snacks that are surprisingly good

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Every grim dark science fiction and fantasy author has written a scene where the protagonists smell the delicious odor of pork, the fat crackling over the fire wafting through the pines. Salivating, they approach the campsite cautiously when they realize, drat idgaf I'm hungry what's done is done and I'm having some. We will serve the cause of mankind in a different way in the morning after I've had some of this delicious feast.
Cormac McCarthy went the extra mile on that one and then some.

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

more falafel please posted:

we get an apple CSA so every year we get like 60lbs of apples so we have to do a lot with them, but usually when we peel them we bake the skins with some salt/cinnamon/brown sugar into little crispy snacks that are surprisingly good

I'm going to try this next time!

this summer I made apple scrap vinegar but I make way more scraps then I need for the amount of vinegar that produces

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

oh another thing you can do is boil them with some sugar into an apple syrup which you can use in cocktails or on pancakes or whatever. there's good flavor in them skins

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?

Is this what they mean by States’ Rights?

thehoodie posted:

I never peel apples, and I also never peel carrots or potatoes. Waste of time

The best part of the coconut is the peel.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

oh another thing you can do is boil them with some sugar into an apple syrup which you can use in cocktails or on pancakes or whatever. there's good flavor in them skins

oh you son of a bitch that’s brilliant

Halloween Liker
Oct 31, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Some goon needs to make a new Waffle images, link it to SA membership so outsiders cant use it, and it must be a lot cheaper/easier in 2020 than when Waffle was around. cost wise and load wise (pretty sure these a lot fewer users on here now)

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
These types of vintage peelers seem to be common on ebay I noticed
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsEU6NkXXsY

Yellow Yoshi
Apr 29, 2020

Figure 1: Mario's weird dog

Ultimate Mango posted:

My brother used to do this. He was verity serious about rinsing any ground meat, especially beef. I wonder if he still does?

my parents used to do something like this, and when the plumbers inevitably came to give them "the talk" and showed them a football-sized fatberg that had blocked the main drain, they now religiously spread the word and have even worked out how to store used cooking oil and fat for proper disposal. i'm so proud of them

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Vindolanda posted:

Is this what they mean by States’ Rights?

Community sponsored agriculture. We pay an orchard up front at the beginning of the season and then they give us apples at the end.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Peel potatoes, but then eat the peels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_e4kCtJIHA

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

I like to always bake a few extra potatoes when I do, let them cool, cut them, scrape the innards out and freeze them for potato skins some other time.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Spending the holidays on the toilet making GBS threads myself to death to own the libs

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
My stepdad eats raw potatoes, skin and all. Same texture as an apple, but all the flavour of Idaho dirt.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

We always taste tested the ground beef when I worked the prep shift and I've never been within a thousand miles of Idaho or wherever

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I love how euros act like their animals and lovely food can't give you hosed up illnesses like lol bet you krauts were dying from mett just as much before they got here.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Enjoy your chlorine chicken

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Watch me rub all these vaccinated eggs all over me to own the yanks.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
They have McDonalds in Europe. Any american here ever heard of a Quick? Didn’t think so. Get owned europhailures.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Mettwurst is good imho

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Wasabi the J posted:

I love how euros act like their animals and lovely food can't give you hosed up illnesses like lol bet you krauts were dying from mett just as much before they got here.

When you're definitely not mad about being unable to eat cookie dough without getting salmonella.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Vindolanda posted:

Peel is stored in the nuts.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal
I just keep browning mince until the fat has all gone, what she’s using must be really fat-laden.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

monkeytennis posted:

I just keep browning mince until the fat has all gone, what she’s using must be really fat-laden.

Nah, it's mostly water. It evaporates fine, but ideally you'd brown like a third of that amount at a time.