Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

pentyne posted:

Man, Shardlight is good, like really good. I don't even like those types of games and it was good enough I played it all the way through in one sitting. The whole look/use/combine adventure games kind of put me off but I managed to beat this only needing to check a guide a handful of times when I hit a wall. The puzzles aren't punishing 90s Sierra games, pretty much if you can make sure to interact with everything on screen at least once you shouldn't ever get completely lost. Even for some of the stuff I struggled to figure out the missing bits were at most 2 screens away and I had just missed them when first passing through.

I remember buying Primordia during a sale as I had seen highly positive comments about it whenever it was mentioned, I'll probably check that out soon. I had never played a Wadjet Eye game prior to this, and if they can make a game I really enjoyed in a genre I dislike it speaks highly of their talents.

Play the Blackwell games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Also play Unavowed

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Well, it's December, so it's time for me to start giving away all the duplicate/extra keys I got from Humble Bundles.

First up, I've Sherlock Holmes: The Devil's Daughter, which I stupidly bought on Steam for like $2 a couple of weeks ago, forgetting that I had bought it previously in a bundle. :hurr:

The code is https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=Sd3TwPNyvR**Fmwn. To keep someone from just copy-pasting the link, I've switched out two of the numbers with asterisks and a clue.

The clue is "_ _ Sunset Strip, starring Efrem Zimbalist Jr."

Let me know if you're able to get the game registered. Otherwise, I'll fret about it all day.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

I love wadgeteye games, and unavowed is an achievement in the genre. it takes place in the same universe as blackwell, so you may want to play those first, but it's not really important outside of a few references here and there. that said, I still recommend playing blackwell because those games are good.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Max Wilco posted:

Well, it's December, so it's time for me to start giving away all the duplicate/extra keys I got from Humble Bundles.

First up, I've Sherlock Holmes: The Devil's Daughter, which I stupidly bought on Steam for like $2 a couple of weeks ago, forgetting that I had bought it previously in a bundle. :hurr:

The code is https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=Sd3TwPNyvR**Fmwn. To keep someone from just copy-pasting the link, I've switched out two of the numbers with asterisks and a clue.

The clue is "_ _ Sunset Strip, starring Efrem Zimbalist Jr."

Let me know if you're able to get the game registered. Otherwise, I'll fret about it all day.
Hey, thanks a lot, I managed to grab it and I'm a big fan of the previous Sherlock Holmes games but haven't managed to play this one yet. Cheers!

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Almost all of the modern adventure games (even the non-Wadjet eye ones) are reasonably easy compared to the worst 90s (and especially 80s) games, since they can't earn money with the hint hotlines anymore and there's several decades of accumulated knowledge for good practices.

Plus people won't be upset if you can beat one in less than 5 hours.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Palpek posted:

Hey, thanks a lot, I managed to grab it and I'm a big fan of the previous Sherlock Holmes games but haven't managed to play this one yet. Cheers!

You're welcome. I've got quite a few extra keys, but I don't know what's the best way to dole them out. I was just going to post them in some of the various threads I post in, but since they're all Steam keys (through Humble Bundle), maybe's it's better to just post them all here instead.

Kennel posted:

Almost all of the modern adventure games (even the non-Wadjet eye ones) are reasonably easy compared to the worst 90s (and especially 80s) games, since they can't earn money with the hint hotlines anymore and there's several decades of accumulated knowledge for good practices.

Plus people won't be upset if you can beat one in less than 5 hours.

I think the Wadjet Eye games (mainly the Blackwell series) surpass a lot of the games by Sierra and LucasArts, and this is coming from someone who's very fond of those games, despite their flaws (barring some exceptions).

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Dec 14, 2020

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I don't generally go for adventure/point and click games but I was very impressed by Nelly Cootalot: Spoonbeaks Ahoy! and Sally Face. Both can be a bit obtuse at times, but nothing like the older games were.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Also, Shardlight's subject matter was hyper relevant to current times.

That helped keep my interest as well.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Oop, new collection idea:

I think I'm gonna be categorizing my games until the end of humanity's time on Earth

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Is Devil's Daughter worth playing, btw? I enjoyed the heck out of Crime and Punishment, but never found the time to touch the rest of their back catalogue.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I haven't played it myself yet, but it's usually listed as one of the bad Frogware games whenever the series comes up, so I'm guessing the answer would be no.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Devil's Daughter has the same engine plus the same deduction mechanics and such. Some of the cases go to really weird places, which didn't please everyone.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Omi no Kami posted:

Is Devil's Daughter worth playing, btw? I enjoyed the heck out of Crime and Punishment, but never found the time to touch the rest of their back catalogue.

It's worth playing, but it's not a patch on C&P.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Huh okay, thanks... I'll probably just wait to see if Sinking City ever makes it to steam.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
It's an Origin game, so chances that you'll ever be able to play it without that launcher are sadly kind of low. On the plus side, Origin is a fairly tolerable launcher and Sinking City is charming enough that I'd consider it worth it.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Cardiovorax posted:

It's an Origin game, so chances that you'll ever be able to play it without that launcher are sadly kind of low. On the plus side, Origin is a fairly tolerable launcher and Sinking City is charming enough that I'd consider it worth it.

You can grab a drm free version here.

It was a year exclusive with Epic, no idea what was the deal is with Origin version(looks like Frogwares self-published there but :shrug:) but it's not on Steam because it's trapped in a legal custody battle between Frogwares and their distributor Bigben/Nacon

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Dec 14, 2020

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

queeb posted:

im also still having fun but theres 0 reason it was an open world game. should have been a hub thing like deus ex

It had to be open world because a lot of the pre-release hype followed the AAA trend of marketing the game to everyone. Take away anything and it wouldn't have gotten nearly as much attention.

The traffic AI and cop spawning bullshit is really egregious, though. Lots of problems that make the open world portion of the game just kind of terrible and useless.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Paradoxish posted:

It had to be open world because a lot of the pre-release hype followed the AAA trend of marketing the game to everyone. Take away anything and it wouldn't have gotten nearly as much attention.

The traffic AI and cop spawning bullshit is really egregious, though. Lots of problems that make the open world portion of the game just kind of terrible and useless.

I just saw a clip on reddit of a guy on top of a skyscraper aiming and killing someone and the cops literally spawn on the roof with them.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

pentyne posted:

I just saw a clip on reddit of a guy on top of a skyscraper aiming and killing someone and the cops literally spawn on the roof with them.

Yeah, the systems are all really poorly thought out, hacked together, and buggy.

I actually don't think it's, like, a bad game, though. The comparisons to New Vegas are pretty good imo. I haven't had a chance to play it a ton so it's possible these problems just accelerate and make it unplayable, but my initial reaction is to say "yeah this is fun and good." The problem is that it comes out like "yeah this is fun and good, except the combat, open world, and rpg mechanics are all trash."

I doubt I'll be able to put much time into it before next year so maybe some of this stuff will be ironed out but lmao of course it won't

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

pentyne posted:

yea cops just teleport behind you, it owns

they also give up when you walk a block away

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Just pretend that it's active camo and that they were there all along, I guess.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Paradoxish posted:

Yeah, the systems are all really poorly thought out, hacked together, and buggy.

I actually don't think it's, like, a bad game, though. The comparisons to New Vegas are pretty good imo. I haven't had a chance to play it a ton so it's possible these problems just accelerate and make it unplayable, but my initial reaction is to say "yeah this is fun and good." The problem is that it comes out like "yeah this is fun and good, except the combat, open world, and rpg mechanics are all trash."

I doubt I'll be able to put much time into it before next year so maybe some of this stuff will be ironed out but lmao of course it won't

Combat is pretty fun if a little shallow once you level up a bit and find a good niche (so far most gun types, stealth, melee, and combat hacks all seem viable and maybe OP in their own way -- I'm mostly doing hacks for crowd control effects and then moving in with a shotgun for close range kills) and the RP aspect has its moments too. Really the open world/simulation aspect is where the game consistently shows seams for me, and I've kind of learned at this point to not push against it too much. Which is definitely a disappointment if that's what you were looking forward to -- but if you set your expectations for something like Fallout or Deus Ex, except you occasionally have to drive a car or a bike between points of interest, it's a solid package.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I spend my time bunnyhopping and dodge-dashing around town to level Athletics

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

pentyne posted:

i went looking for this and it's unreal https://www.reddit.com/r/cyberpunkgame/comments/kcjdis/decided_to_test_how_bad_the_cop_spawning_issue_is/

another https://streamable.com/q79lrl

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

lol, you can literally watch them pop into existence.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
If you don't think that'll be how cops work by 2077 idk what to tell ya

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

according to steam250 this is the top 10 for the year based on steam reviews (excluding early access)

1) Factorio
2) Hades
3) Helltaker
4) Half Life: Alyx
5) Henry Stickman Collection (??)
6) Risk of Rain 2
7) Deep Rock Galactic
8) Persona 4 Golden
9) Senren * Banka
10) There is No Game: Wrong Dimension

other notable rankings.. Yakuza 7 placed 21st just ahead of NEKOPARA Vol 4 (lol), Spelunky 2 placed outside of the top 100 (#138), and the highest ranked early access game is Phasmophobia (#3)

Trickyblackjack
Feb 13, 2012
I keep forgetting that Half Life 3 came out.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Trickyblackjack posted:

I keep forgetting that Half Life 3 came out.

You joke but (HL:Alyx ending spoilers), At the end it wraps around right to moments after the climax of HL: Episode 2 thanks to some timely, (hmm?), intervention from G-Man.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Half Life: Alyx is a good enough game that it certainly deserves the name more than Episode Nevergonnahappen at this point.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

I love wadgeteye games, and unavowed is an achievement in the genre. it takes place in the same universe as blackwell, so you may want to play those first, but it's not really important outside of a few references here and there. that said, I still recommend playing blackwell because those games are good.

yeah i've been chipping away at unavowed and it does seem rad for a point and click

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

It's also completely unnecessarily this ridiculous because police drones exist in the game and having those fly to your location at such a moment would at least make some sense.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Palpek posted:

It's also completely unnecessarily this ridiculous because police drones exist in the game and having those fly to your location at such a moment would at least make some sense.

Yeah, a lot of bugginess is really also a result of poor decisions and laziness. The cops are clearly not behaving quite as intended because they can pop into view right in front of you and even directly behind you while you're in stealth, but their ability to just appear wherever is also clearly a part of the underlying design. In my pretty limited experience, it doesn't seem like much thought was given to restricting spawnable areas at all. I'm not even sure if there are any areas where they can't spawn.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.
Gamepass is great but I got it when you could get a crazy 3yr for ~£90 by converting Gold subs.

I don't know if I will stick with it at full price but even with all of issues it has it's by far the best "Netflix for games" that anyone has come up with so far.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

I can't get over the bulletspongyness of the enemies. An SMG is being unloaded point blank into shirt-wearing cops, some of them are headshots and they're not even close to going down. It's worse than Borderlands or Division 1.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

DatonKallandor posted:

I can't get over the bulletspongyness of the enemies. An SMG is being unloaded point blank into shirt-wearing cops, some of them are headshots and they're not even close to going down. It's worse than Borderlands or Division 1.
It is the common pattern of so many games. You are either dealing with garbage damage and torn apart by enemies in game shrugging off a magazine or wrench to the back of the head (or tracing a circle around their head a foot away because you didn't ADS) Then you finally obtain the ability to kill things when you hit them in the head and are torn apart by people screeching "Ugh weapons are so overpowered in this game I can't believe people are dying when I shoot them in the head!"

And yet, somehow, two headshots with a sniper rifle or giant handcannon to kill someone feels worse than 3-5 in games to me. Maybe it is how extra insulting it is compared to pure damage sponge to almost but not quite oneshot a beast skeleton with your leaping two handed swing of a giant demon axe, compared to "Well clearly that wasn't NEARLY enough damage to seriously hurt this guy." damage.

Vent your frustrations by rendering the last guy blind with quickhacks so you can leisurely unload your entire SMG into their skull unopposed, until your killing curve catches up with your playstyle. It is what I'm doing with a machette right now to backfill blades even with a revolver good enough to pop the heads off skulls instead of The Heist: Skulls Of Steel making me necksnap everyone.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Dec 14, 2020

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Palpek posted:

Can you get them to aggro on gang members etc? Does getting everyone killed by the cops count for optional pacifist \ stealth objectives? Or is neither a thing?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Xander77 posted:

Can you get them to aggro on gang members etc? Does getting everyone killed by the cops count for optional pacifist \ stealth objectives? Or is neither a thing?
Usually people are too busy being shot at by cops who WERE attacking gang members to try and see if you can bait the cops into attacking gang members.

"Thanks for the help-YOU'RE GOING DOWN rear end in a top hat"

80% of the time it is fine, and you loot the corpses of dead cops killed by gang members under their nose. Other times they enter full murder frenzy mode where if you cross their vision cone after they execute a random gang member they pulll out of a car in a clearly bit of scripted world flavor, you are wanted by the law.

Probably why it stands out to people. When you shoot a cop in the back of the head by accident that is obvious videogame oopsies. Having to load a save from ten minutes ago because a cop hated you merely existing while you were grabbing tarot card collectibles from an area over your level so cops one shot you? ouch.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Dec 14, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trickyblackjack
Feb 13, 2012

DatonKallandor posted:

On Normal, it doesn't feel too bad for me , but Cyberpunk is very much an RPG like the Bethesda Fallouts instead of a call of duty or ARMA, so you kind of need to meet the game on its own terms. Hard difficulty ramps up the sponginess though and is straight up not fun. But you can also just pretend they all have subdermal armour or some poo poo.

The cops showing up out of nowhere is definitely jarring. The game is not at all a GTA-style sandbox though. The world looks great on the surface, but as someone up thread said, the seams become apparent real quick if you try to push against them even just a little bit.

Edit: I should note that I didn't follow the development or the news or the hype, so I don't know what was promised or whatever.

Trickyblackjack fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Dec 14, 2020