Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

You could also view that as just another part of the evolutionary process though, there is a latent desire for that kind of poo poo, people create algorithms that drive engagement, many forms of engagement are harmful to society and to individuals but when has the drive for profit ever cared about that? So more effective algorithms are created and better ways to bombard people with content and people who believe the poo poo create more content in more ways and refine their methods further and you end up here.
It's interesting (in a :frogon: way) how we've gone from hand crafted conspiracy zines to weird alt-publishers because nobody else will publish your stuff to weird alt-publishers also full of nazi poo poo because nobody else will publish their stuff to a thousand fragmented internet groups and fringe websites about incredibly niche conspiracy topics to there's a big algorithm connecting the dozen sites that most people actually use and oh look it's put the lizard spotters and the nazis back together again.

e: 77F is ~25C, so standard temperature, in some standards such as SATP. SATP is also the South Asian Terrorism Portal. 7/7 :tinfoil:

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Dec 14, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
The other aspect of the deportations that I don't think has been mentioned yet is the courts set the penalty for the crime, and once you've done your time the law says that's that. To then deport people after they've served their time is punishing them twice for the same crime, which shouldn't happen.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Dunking on Sunny Hundal is like scoring into an empty net from 3 yards so instead I'll ask a more important question

Want to get a bottle of gin for my sister. My budget is extremely low (I have £20 and need £7 for the bus). I can maybe scrape together another £10 by digging through loose change. So let's say my budget is £20. I know as much about gin as I know about not running out of money just before Christmas so I'm looking for recommendations. How are Lidl or Aldi gin? Any other brands worth considering?

Christmas on a very tight budget loving sucks, especially when everyone who buys you thinks isn't working on such a tight budget. Great respect for my folks from when I was a kid.

dispatch_async
Nov 28, 2014

Imagine having the time to have played through 20 generations of one family in The Sims 2. Imagine making the original two members of that family Neil Buchanan and Cat Deeley. Imagine complaining to Maxis there was no technological progression. You've successfully imagined my life

sebzilla posted:

The sea (you finned oval office) in true Paul Nuttals style.

https://twitter.com/basfordiron/status/1338466915753324544

Dogger Bank is the ancestral home of True Britains - those descended exclusively from people who walked here over Doggerland.

:yooge: No Boaters!

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

There's definitely grifters and fellow travelers who make good use of the fact that that these conspiracies filter for people who have never been forearmed with critical thinking skills or what a good source looks like, but the one thing all these conspiracy theories seem to select for is people who feel that things are off somehow but haven't been given satisfying reasons for why that they can understand.

It's absolutely this, and it's definitely not a coincidence that conspiracy theories have exploded in the last decade and particularly the last five years. The gap between the image of life sold by the media and politicians is so far removed from the lived reality of so many people that it creates a massive, fertile field for conspiracy theories to take root in.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

forkboy84 posted:

Dunking on Sunny Hundal is like scoring into an empty net from 3 yards so instead I'll ask a more important question

Want to get a bottle of gin for my sister. My budget is extremely low (I have £20 and need £7 for the bus). I can maybe scrape together another £10 by digging through loose change. So let's say my budget is £20. I know as much about gin as I know about not running out of money just before Christmas so I'm looking for recommendations. How are Lidl or Aldi gin? Any other brands worth considering?

Christmas on a very tight budget loving sucks, especially when everyone who buys you thinks isn't working on such a tight budget. Great respect for my folks from when I was a kid.

A quick check of pages like https://www.redonline.co.uk/food/best-recipes/g526759/the-best-cheap-gins/ suggest Lidl do a decent gin, but I can't recommend them personally as I detest gin.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

dispatch_async posted:

https://twitter.com/basfordiron/status/1338466915753324544

Dogger Bank is the ancestral home of True Britains - those descended exclusively from people who walked here over Doggerland.

:yooge: No Boaters!

What all those people get up to in the car park in Epping Forest is actually a massively confused racial memory.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

forkboy84 posted:

aldi gins are remarkably good. bombay sapphire is a nice looking bottle and is nice to drink, and should be about 17 quid at the mo from asda

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Where was this handwave energy when Corbyn pronounced Epstein as /epʃtaɪn/?

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

forkboy84 posted:

Aldi do a good range of gins, though I find their ‘infusionist’ range much to sweet. Sipsmith is on rollback to £22 at Asda and is very good. Or for a sweet fruit gin that me and my other half really like there’s Aber Falls Marmalade gin that’s around that price too.

(edited to fix autocorrect magic)

Noxville fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Dec 14, 2020

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Times like this reminds me that Sunny Hundal was a die hard lib dem until he was suddenly Very Concerned with How Labour Should Act.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

forkboy84 posted:

Never tried Lidl & Aldi gin, Bombay Sapphire is alright for less than £20. My actual recommendation for cost effective gin though (depending how your change-rummaging goes) is Chase, currently £25 at Tesco if you have a Clubcard. The best bartender at my favourite cocktail bar swears by the stuff, even over much more expensive brands, it makes a fantastic martini.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
https://twitter.com/lewis_goodall/status/1338499156982329346

you just have to laugh, really

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

goddamnedtwisto posted:

It's absolutely this, and it's definitely not a coincidence that conspiracy theories have exploded in the last decade and particularly the last five years. The gap between the image of life sold by the media and politicians is so far removed from the lived reality of so many people that it creates a massive, fertile field for conspiracy theories to take root in.

What we are and what we're told we should be are in incessant conflict and it's destroying all of us.

There's reality as it is, and then there's what we make true by believing in it, and the latter is kudzu growing on our lives.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Which is why I recommend not watching TV or reading papers or going on twitter too much.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

First they try and bring Halloween over here from the USA, then Black Friday and now the COVID Thanksgiving massacre. Where will it end?

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

OwlFancier posted:

Which is why I recommend not watching TV or reading papers or going on twitter too much.

3 life rules i can endorse

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Grasping at straws: batted away deftly.

https://twitter.com/RedElixir3/status/1338471240978325508?s=20

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Oh good, revisionism - the problem was the Brown called her a bigot, not that he backtracked. Of course it was. Got to keep the bigots onside.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

forkboy84 posted:

There are some nice flavoured Gins for 20 quid or around there like rhubarb and ginger, orange, and so on and they tend to come in quite fancy looking bottles so they're pretty gifty. Most supermarkets sell them, Asda do one from Whitley Neill I've actually got a bottle of right here and it's really nice

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I think blue sapphire is well regarded but don't ask me because i put irn bru in my gin

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Lol at the plea regarding home learning materials. Yeah they pretty much did fall out of your apparently collective arseholes. Released on sunday evening with about 30 mins top spent on formulating the a4 sheet of hyperlinks to shite online games. Much the same every week. Total shite.

you are consistently a piece of poo poo

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Wonder when Ms Sultana will have the whip withdrawn?

https://twitter.com/zarahsultana/status/1338480508024582144?s=20

SpaceCommie
Oct 2, 2008

I'm escaping to the one place that hasn't been corrupted by Capitalism ...

SPACE!

I'm kinda hoping she'll end up on the ballot at the next leadership election. Or Charlotte "Fash get their heads kicked in" Nichols.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

http://news.sky.com/story/new-variant-of-coronavirus-identified-in-uk-health-secretary-says-12161416

supposedly there's a new covid variant doing the rounds now, does that mean the current vaccine is less useful?

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

kecske posted:

http://news.sky.com/story/new-variant-of-coronavirus-identified-in-uk-health-secretary-says-12161416

supposedly there's a new covid variant doing the rounds now, does that mean the current vaccine is less useful?

Or it's the same old covid but the vaccine is provably poo poo :tinfoil:

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Not a great look.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The real Great Replacement will be when he gets replaced with someone who holds positions on things.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

someone asked Fat Mancock whats the point in tier 3 now when you still plan to lift social restrictions next week and his response was that he doesn't want to be drawn on the issue.

great, fantastic, labour 20 points etc

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Guavanaut posted:

The real Great Replacement will be when he gets replaced with someone who holds positions on things.

Sounds like antisemitism, taking and holding onto positions.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ban the accumulation of positions, distribute the positions evenly across the population.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Just got round to reading this interview.

https://twitter.com/jacobinmag/status/1338130516445315072

He's a bloody good egg, isn't he?

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

sebzilla posted:

Not a great look.

Unfortunately, he was not in fact, a great replacement.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

kecske posted:

The subhead does say that it's unlikely. All of the mRNA vaccines are targeted on the "spike" of the virus, the bit that does the actual infecting - if that mutates too much then the virus loses some or all of it's ability to actually infect us. It's not *impossible* that it can mutate enough to both evade all of the current vaccines (which all, AFAIK, target different bits) and stay as virulent, but that's lottery-winning odds.

(Note that my only expertise on this is the standard armchair virology I feel like everyone's picked up over the last 9 months)

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Comrade Fakename posted:

Unfortunately, he was not in fact, a great replacement.

He'd probably do a good job replacing some of my loft boarding

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

What do we think the over/under is on the conservatives cancelling christmas?

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The subhead does say that it's unlikely. All of the mRNA vaccines are targeted on the "spike" of the virus, the bit that does the actual infecting - if that mutates too much then the virus loses some or all of it's ability to actually infect us. It's not *impossible* that it can mutate enough to both evade all of the current vaccines (which all, AFAIK, target different bits) and stay as virulent, but that's lottery-winning odds.

(Note that my only expertise on this is the standard armchair virology I feel like everyone's picked up over the last 9 months)

The spike being what it is is a major factor in COVID being as dangerous as it is, though.

Also that possibility has been explored and there's more backup plans for that problem than possibly any in the history of science. It'd just take starting testing from scratch.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Their whole point up to now has been to avoid doing that so I would expect they tell everyone to go ahead, buy a lot, socialize a lot, then blame them for the ensuing death wave.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

josh04 posted:

What do we think the over/under is on the conservatives cancelling christmas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Booooo