Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
So a ticket came in. We have a terraform module that does the hard work of creating new GCP projects, attaching them to billing accounts, setting up budgets/alerting/etc. Dev wanted to create a new project, so it should have been a simple 5 minute review and merge.

Six hours of terraform state surgery later...

turns out the underlying module used an authoritative IAM binding and wants to control the entire iam policy document for the gcp project. this is bad, because we only want to manage the project object, and it means every time you want to rerun tf plan to add a new project, it tries to erase every single IAM binding for all every single project since it doesn't see them in the state file or in the code.

Three releases of the underlying module later, I'm moving to a local state for backups, removing the policy document from the state file by hand for every single project, give myself project owner, manually remove the existing project owner, re-run the plan to re-add them + update state, and then cleaning up all the lovely manual workarounds.

simple enough now, but I assure you it did not feel that way at the time!

anyways then speculative plans in TF cloud started failing, and for the me I couldn't figure out why since the HTTP responses to the webhook were returning fine before and after all my changes, and I banged my head against that one for about an hour before realizing the dev forked the repository instead of cloning it, which is obviously untrusted and lmao.

currently I am painstakingly walking him through how to authorize his SSH key and add a passphrase to it. He's been here like a year and a half.

honestly it was actually pretty fun, but rip my scheduled work for today

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I read posts like that and I’m worried that I no longer work in IT or some poo poo because I only understood like 30% of that.

:ohdear:

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

y’all Why do I have to have this conversation with these people? Why is this a thing I have to specifically tell people not to do?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

larchesdanrew posted:

y’all Why do I have to have this conversation with these people? Why is this a thing I have to specifically tell people not to do?

I mean, I agree with you but a lot of people are going to choose to own cats no matter what you or I may say?

:shrug:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

larchesdanrew posted:

To gain content for to post in the thread.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

larchesdanrew posted:

You would really hate to see the setup I put together when I spin up my rack mount server.

Note: I really should obtain a half rack, but they are so stupidly expensive.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

larchesdanrew posted:

Nothing will beat the "pee hole" from my job working for a school photography studio.

Downstairs, in the dank basement, is where the majority of the staff worked. The main floor was a studio and the top floor was storage. Anyway, down in the basement, there was a small closet-like room where all the servers were housed. This room was very wet, every surface coated in moisture, and it contained a drain in the middle of the room.

The owner of the place, an immensely fat guy, would go into this room and pee into the drain because the closest bathrooms were upstairs.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

ConfusedUs posted:

Nothing will beat the "pee hole" from my job working for a school photography studio.

Downstairs, in the dank basement, is where the majority of the staff worked. The main floor was a studio and the top floor was storage. Anyway, down in the basement, there was a small closet-like room where all the servers were housed. This room was very wet, every surface coated in moisture, and it contained a drain in the middle of the room.

The owner of the place, an immensely fat guy, would go into this room and pee into the drain because the closest bathrooms were upstairs.

:catstare:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Be glad he didn't waffle stomp a #2 into that drain.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
Soooo...just how putrid was the smell?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

klosterdev posted:

Soooo...just how putrid was the smell?

It smelled like piss. But not strongly. The drain actually worked.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

why was the server room so moist, and was it from all the pissing or for an unrelated reason

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

It was a really old building. All the pipes and stuff ran through that room. It seemed designed to capture moisture somehow

I’m not an architect. That’s all I got.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Weedle posted:

why was the server room so moist, and was it from all the pissing or for an unrelated reason

..because the drain actually worked, if water/piss can flow one way, incredibly moist air can flow the other. And if the room wasn't air conditioned it's gonna get damp.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
The piss must flow

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

The server room of horror indeed. Did it at least have a light in the closet or was it a hot, dank, piss smelling box, also you just know that the dude didn't dump some water down the drain after the fact as a courtesy.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Haha it totally did not have a real actual light. There was a shop light on a hook type deal

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

ConfusedUs posted:

Haha it totally did not have a real actual light. There was a shop light on a hook type deal

Anyone ever go like "Yo , what the gently caress man?" Or did they just pretend the owner wasn't pissing down the drain

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Kurieg posted:

..because the drain actually worked, if water/piss can flow one way, incredibly moist air can flow the other. And if the room wasn't air conditioned it's gonna get damp.

That's usually not how plumbing traps work? They're supposed to block air coming up from the sewer.

Not me, but our sister company, a Very Big Website in France, had their storage on a big 3Par array, spanning 2 racks. The colo couldn't provide enough power to it from one tile, so they had to lease 2 neighboring tiles to feed enough power to it. At some point, the colo was doing maintenance and shut down the feeds to the neighboring tiles "because there wasn't anything there" and that's the story of how I had to guide French people through restoring a Postgres backup.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

luminalflux posted:

That's usually not how plumbing traps work? They're supposed to block air coming up from the sewer.

You're assuming the hell closet had functional traps.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

orange juche posted:

Anyone ever go like "Yo , what the gently caress man?" Or did they just pretend the owner wasn't pissing down the drain

It was one of those businesses run by a tyrant, so no not really

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

ConfusedUs posted:

It was one of those businesses run by a tyrant, so no not really

Did you work for lowtax?

I'm just imagining that at least for a while the Something Awful servers being hosted in the Piss Closet.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

orange juche posted:

Did you work for lowtax?

I'm just imagining that at least for a while the Something Awful servers being hosted in the Piss Closet.

it wasn't actually katrina that flooded them

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

A plumbing trap isn't going to stop any moisture exiting the pipe because it is, itself, an open pool of water.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

klosterdev posted:

The piss must flow

mods: new thread title pls

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
I'm still shocked that Server Room Litter Box was immediately upstaged by Piss Room.

This place is so magical :allears:

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

IPee Sec

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

larchesdanrew posted:

I'm still shocked that Server Room Litter Box was immediately upstaged by Piss Room.

This place is so magical :allears:

Sorry bro! I’ve told that story several times. I didn’t think it would upstage you so bad.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

It's not a competition! I just love there's always something more unthinkably horrifying that someone else has experienced

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Let's clear the air with a classic image

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Thanks Ants posted:

Let's clear the air with a classic image

im the 1995 quality image in 2010

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
I'd never thought that rack posts doubled as depth indicators

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Methanar posted:

I am the horrifying cavitation.

Assorted Gubbins
Oct 28, 2017

Methanar posted:

Shouldn't this be 2005? I thought this was a pic from Katrina.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Assorted Gubbins posted:

Shouldn't this be 2005? I thought this was a pic from Katrina.

It has a 2010 timestamp in the image.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Thanks Ants posted:

Bingo. HE is awful, and their CGNAT pool ranges are poor quality in terms of where the old geolocation databases list them at.

A few posts back, but, can you please dumb this down for me?

I am in Scotland, I have Vodafone Gigafast (gigabit symmetric) and on different days, Google Maps thinks I am in different places in the UK. Sometimes London, sometimes Manchester, sometimes where I actually am in Scotland. Is this to do with "CGNAT" and old geolocation databases?

I am a tech nerd, but not very savvy at networking.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Steakandchips posted:

A few posts back, but, can you please dumb this down for me?

I am in Scotland, I have Vodafone Gigafast (gigabit symmetric) and on different days, Google Maps thinks I am in different places in the UK. Sometimes London, sometimes Manchester, sometimes where I actually am in Scotland. Is this to do with "CGNAT" and old geolocation databases?

I am a tech nerd, but not very savvy at networking.

This is mostly related to where you happen to pop out of their network, based on my understanding. Your public IP is where geolocation is based on, and so it will show your location based on where that IP is(supposed to be) physically.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Right, ok.

My prior BT VDSL connection always showed me at my correct area in Scotland.

This one from Vodafone bounces around every few days.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Do you have a static public IP in practice or does it rotate regularly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Never checked, but I imagine it rotates. Right, it's because Vodafone are thick and don't rotate localised addressed, and instead rotate nationwide ones...