Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
god drat COMPUTERS!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

President Beep posted:

god drat COMPUTERS!

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

President Beep posted:

god drat COMPUTERS!

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

President Beep posted:

god drat COMPUTERS!

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

President Beep posted:

god drat COMPUTERS!

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

President Beep posted:

god drat COMPUTERS!

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

President Beep posted:

god drat COMPUTERS!

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

President Beep posted:

god drat COMPUTERS!

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

did you know

jabra is a danish company that was founded in the us. i wonder how often that happens and not the other way around.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

President Beep posted:

god drat COMPUTERS!

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

President Beep posted:

god drat COMPUTERS!

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

President Beep posted:

god drat COMPUTERS!

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself

President Beep posted:

g*d da*n COMPUTERS!

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

President Beep posted:

god drat COMPUTERS!

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
is there a secret way I can partition/format this one hard drive (rust platter) I've got to squeeze a little extra performance out of it?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Silver Alicorn posted:

is there a secret way I can partition/format this one hard drive (rust platter) I've got to squeeze a little extra performance out of it?

is it your OS drive? If not, not really. If yes, you can kinda sorta make a smallish partition for the OS, and then not put much data on the 2nd partition. It would be a kinda negligible difference though.

about a week ago a good friend of mine dropped off this old as gently caress tower I built for him in like 2008 or something crazy like that, and he still uses it for his main desktop. it has I think 4GB of RAM and some ancient AMD processor (i think AM2?), but all he does is visit his fantasy football websites and poo poo like that so it's almost an ongoing joke that we keep it running as long as we have.

anyway it was running slow as poo poo so for the hell of it I defraged and sure enough the computer ran like a champ again after that. i thought defragging hadn't been a thing since the 90s but sure enough it completely fixed his computer slowdown issues.

for what it's worth his OS drive is that weird 640GB western digital drive that everyone said was super fast for some reason even though it wasn't 10,000k rpm or anything; i forgot why those drives were considered super fast but they were.

anyway yeah believe it or not try defragging

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
omg that could fix my dads computer

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
generally back in The Day manufacturers would just bump the cache chips from 1MB to 8MB or whatever and sell it as a ~wd black~

anyways a $29 120gb garbage house brand SSD blows the poo poo out of any platter drive ever made. put them in your moms computer. she will be thankful.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yep the SSD is the greatest advance in computer performance in the last, what, 15 years? Even a lovely one is streets ahead of anything that spins.

Like have you had to use a computer with a spinning primary drive recently? Holy gently caress is it a nightmare. Five or six minutes to start up and then another 10 just sitting and churning on nothing before the OS is usable

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
core2 architecture, ipads, and ssd's were the three nails in the coffin for CoMpUtEr rEpAiR shOpS

grandma gets an ipad
i get to build a core2 machine and it works for 7 years
ssd means i can fix up an old computer and make it totally usable again

Seriously the shop I worked in folded ten months after I quit because everybody just bought ipads for their grannies and stopped getting lovely amd x2 systems repaired

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

They brought it on themselves imo by selling massively overpriced "gaming" PC's with the bottomest tier garbage hardware imaginable.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Silver Alicorn posted:

you can use intel RST to do read/write caching with a SSD on the platter drive. that's about it

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

Yep the SSD is the greatest advance in computer performance in the last, what, 15 years? Even a lovely one is streets ahead of anything that spins.

Like have you had to use a computer with a spinning primary drive recently? Holy gently caress is it a nightmare. Five or six minutes to start up and then another 10 just sitting and churning on nothing before the OS is usable

it’s the single biggest improvement in computers in my lifetime op (except maybe high speed internets) (i’m almost 40) (one love)

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I need a cheap web host for my incredibly simple website I write by hand in a text editor, my current host is trash. suggestions?

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Sagebrush posted:

i have catalina on a 5400rpm bottom-tier mini at my work desk and its wild. after the initial wakeup/boot the click reaction time is about 8 seconds

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

qirex posted:

I need a cheap web host for my incredibly simple website I write by hand in a text editor, my current host is trash. suggestions?

a few people i know use github pages for that sort of thing now

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Cold on a Cob posted:

a few people i know use github pages for that sort of thing now

no I have a domain and email and stuff and don't want microsoft to own my portfolio

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
I thought timecube.com was taken down

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

qirex posted:

no I have a domain and email and stuff and don't want microsoft to own my portfolio

you can use your custom domain but yeah if you don't wanna upload your stuff to github i don't blame ya

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I've found a lot of decent looking solutions that are like $15-20/month which is way more than I need but everything cheaper is garbage, is that just the way it is?

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I think netlify is free but they also seem to put the free users on their dev environment given how often it goes down

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I'm not destitute I am perfectly willing to pay several dollars a month for a reliable host I am asking if 15 is the minimum number of dollars for something that isn't janky garbage where my content is owned by another company or they inject adware into my pages

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
i know you're not replying to me but i mentioned github pages b/c for simple static stuff it's not janky garbage apparently, not because it's free

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

qirex posted:

get a 5 dollar digitalocean droplet and set it up with the one-click LAMP setup, put your files into /var/www/, done

i have hosted my portfolio this way (well i use the big spender $10/mo version cause i run some other services too) for the past 12 years and have had zero problems. just make sure to use cert authentication instead of password cause you'll get hammered by chinese botnets from first light.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Dec 16, 2020

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

wireless connection to headphones still fuxxored. been doing wired of late. sounds good at least.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

qirex posted:

i know better than to ever recommend ~goon products~ but i have been using https://lithiumhosting.com/ for what has to be 15 years and and i love 'em lots

the dude even fixed my gently caress ups free of charge more than once

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

just put it on s3

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

pssh, what is s2 not good enough for you or something?

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

does anyone know of a good SSL troubleshooting resource? like a flowchart thingy or something?

lots of resources out there for "try this? maybe this IDK!!!" but something methodical and guided would be neato imo, tbh.

e: hmm. found this. might do the trickeroo.

e2: thanks, micro$haft, all of the links in that article are broken.

President Beep fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Dec 18, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
what problems are you having