Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Internet Recovery is one of the best pieces of software imaginable. I haven’t had to do a USB install since like 2012, it’s so so handy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Internet Recovery is one of the best pieces of software imaginable. I haven’t had to do a USB install since like 2012, it’s so so handy.

If your time is worthless, sure. A usb stick will cut this time down by about 2-3x depending on internet connection.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

For the one or two recoveries I have to do every year or so, I couldn’t care less.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

redeyes posted:

If your time is worthless, sure. A usb stick will cut this time down by about 2-3x depending on internet connection.

Do you stand there staring at the loading screen or what?

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

FCKGW posted:

Do you stand there staring at the loading screen or what?

How else is the bar supposed to make any progress?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
The bar only moves if you watch.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Anyone else put the mouse cursor right next to the current progress spot because your brain tricks you into thinking it's not moving at all?

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

There’s someone who doesn’t?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

American McGay posted:

Anyone else put the mouse cursor right next to the current progress spot because your brain tricks you into thinking it's not moving at all?

I marveled at the antialiasing in OG OS X that made it so you couldn't really tell whether it had moved one pixel or not

(Also the blue "moving wave" pattern that was apparently designed to fool your eye as much as possible as to whether it was really progressing)

Boner Wad
Nov 16, 2003
For those that encourage spaces, how are you organizing each space? I tried using them in the far past but I ended up just using one for iTerm and one for web browsing.

Totally Huge
Mar 10, 2006

Cold brew got me like...

College Slice

Boner Wad posted:

For those that encourage spaces, how are you organizing each space? I tried using them in the far past but I ended up just using one for iTerm and one for web browsing.

On my work machine I use space 1 for general stuff, email, chat, browsing, etc. Space 2 is for iterm windows. I keep a 3rd space for random stuff. I usually make any meeting apps full screen and move them over to the far left in the order of spaces but I'm really pretty fluid with how I manage them. For my personal machine I do something similar but usually only have 2 active spaces in addition to full screen apps.

Honestly the key to using spaces for me is some kind of efficient way of switching between them. I generally use either the trackpad gestures or my MX Master 3 mouse buttons to navigate around.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
1. Browser, twitter app, notes, video apps if I'm watching something, probably where I'd open a word document or preview or whatever.
2. Mail (I tend to open messages I need to do something about instead of just flagging them, so it gets its own space for that)
3. Chat programs, itunes
4. Free space (read: where I put something I'm working on if I need to actually focus on it)

With this, I can mostly get away with just remembering to ctrl+[number] to whatever space I need to be in, but I also use have the option to jump to an application's space on selection open, so I can just cmd+tab to something, or click on the dock icon. It works great, except for when I've got a stray finder window open somewhere and get yanked to another space instead of just opening a new window.

I only really use the full mission control/exposé ui for when I need to move a window to another space for whatever reason, or if I wanted to split-screen something. Otherwise it's basically in the way, even with the nice BTT option to have it automatically expand the desktops.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

American McGay posted:

Computers haven't come up with a better solution so yes

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
For some reason the Macbook Pro 2010 I've got doesn't want to go into internet recovery mode. Need to sort the power cable first to do the install anyway.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

MrOnBicycle posted:

For some reason the Macbook Pro 2010 I've got doesn't want to go into internet recovery mode. Need to sort the power cable first to do the install anyway.

May need a firmware update before supporting internet recovery..

https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1492

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Binary Badger posted:

May need a firmware update before supporting internet recovery..

https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1492

Ah, thanks. I think it needs a firmware update anyway, at least sooner or later. First I need to repair the magsafe charger.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Boner Wad posted:

I rarely use full screen spaces myself outside of Photos, other than that I basically have a "main" space with basically most of my browser and message windows, or whatever I'm working on at the time, mail/calendar/reminders in another space, and a kind of empty scratch space for more work stuff if the main space is too cluttered.

One tip with Mission Control, if you have it organized by app, you can grab the app icon to move all the windows at once to another space. And a general Exposé trick, you can do the show app windows gesture over the dock icons, instead of having to switch to the app then do the action.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

nexxai posted:

Just because you can doesn't mean you should
Worked really well multiple times for me.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
what is the good online backup service? i remember backblaze being on a lot of podcasts a decade ago.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

barkbell posted:

what is the good online backup service? i remember backblaze being on a lot of podcasts a decade ago.

Backblaze B2 Works For Me

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I'm currently with iDrive, who after a trial gave me a 5TB service for $35 for the year, then $70/year going forward.

I've used a bunch before... backblaze let me massively down in that when my machine wasn't connected to the internet for a few days (hurricanes tend to do that) but was still in use, because the fileset changed a little bit it in a way it didn't like, it put my backup set on ice which necessitated a complete start from the word go. When you're on a capped internet connection, this is disastrous so I cancelled. Anyone who offers 'unlimited' space tends to be pretty bad, the last time I used CrashPlan it took hours to even do a single file and by their own measures they were capping the connection so slowly it was going to take multiple years to do my entire backup set. On the same line, iDrive did the 2.5TB drive I pointed at it in just under 48 hours.

Haven't had to restore anything which is the true test, but I've used the iphone app to bring up individual items without any issue. The software doesn't suck utter rear end too, which is definitely a plus as a lot of the time they provide java based disasters that cause more trouble than they're worth (an old version of CrashPlan embedded itself so incredibly deeply in the OS it was unbelievable).

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
I've been using Backblaze's normal plan ($6/month for unlimited) since CrashPlan dumped it's consumer product, and it's been fine for me. IIRC, its restore process is a bit more complicated than it needs to be, but the price is right for the amount of data I'm backing up, and actually having to restore from online backup (all local backups gone) will hopefully be a rare enough occurrence that a little extra hassle is worth the long term cost savings.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Backblaze's normal plan isn't perfect -- in fact, I'm having to do another backup of my 6TB media drive after a series of missteps by me and praying it finishes before Comcast's data cap kicks in next month - but you can't beat the price, and it saved my rear end over the summer when my old external hard drive crashed. The main benefit for me is the fact that they will send you a backup on an external hard drive for free (you pay up front, but get a refund when it's returned). With the data cap coming that's really my only hope to restore that amount of data without giving Comcast more money.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

i really liked restoring from backblaze's external hd thing once and I just kept it and have been using the external as a local backup for like 4 years lol

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

:siren: macOS 11.1 has dropped :siren:

Apple posted:

macOS Big Sur 11.1 introduces support for AirPods Max, TV app enhancements, Apple News widgets, and privacy information on the App Store. This release also includes bug fixes for your Mac.

AirPods Max
Support for AirPods Max, new over-ear headphones
High fidelity audio for rich sound
Adaptive EQ adapts sound in real time to the personal fit of ear cushions
Active Noise Cancellation to block out environmental noise
Transparency mode to hear the environment around you
Spatial audio with dynamic head tracking for a theater-like listening experience

Apple TV
An all-new Apple TV+ tab makes it easy to discover and watch Apple Original shows and movies
Enhanced search so you can browse by category such as genre and see recent searches and suggestions as you type
Top search results shown with the most relevant matches across movies, TV shows, cast, channels, and sports

Apple News
Apple News widgets are now available in Notification Center

App Store
New privacy information section on App Store pages that includes a developer-reported summary of the app’s privacy practices
In-game dashboard within Arcade games recommends new Arcade games to play

iPhone and iPad apps on Macs with M1
New window options for iPhone and iPad apps let you switch between landscape and portrait orientations or expand a window to fill the entire screen

Photos
Apple ProRAW photos can be edited in the Photos app

Safari
Ecosia search engine option in Safari

Air Quality
Available in Maps and Siri for locations in China mainland
Health recommendations are provided in Siri for the United States, United Kingdom, Germany, India, and Mexico at certain air quality levels

This release also addresses the following issues:

QuickTime Player might quit when opening a movie with a timecode track after upgrading from macOS Catalina
Bluetooth connection status was not displayed in Control Center
Reliability of unlocking your Mac automatically with your Apple Watch
Trackpad scrolling speed may be faster than expected on MacBook Pro models
LG UltraFine 5K Display may incorrectly display at 4K resolution on Macs with M1

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Dec 14, 2020

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Must be rolling, because my BS shows "Your Mac is up to date" even after a manual refresh.

Also:

Safari
- Ecosia search engine option in Safari
- Air Quality

:confused:

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Obligatory "Is Big Sur a suitable upgrade from Catalina at this point on Macs that support both?"

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

After some initial stability hiccups I've actually experienced no problems on 11.0.1 in the past week. I'm thinking about updating my work laptop from Catalina over the holidays.

Anecdotally I'd say yes.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Martytoof posted:

Must be rolling, because my BS shows "Your Mac is up to date" even after a manual refresh.

Also:

Safari
- Ecosia search engine option in Safari
- Air Quality

:confused:

re-read, CR inserted wrong

SourKraut posted:

Obligatory "Is Big Sur a suitable upgrade from Catalina at this point on Macs that support both?"

IMHO deffo only suitable if you have an M1, or want most of the poo poo fixed from 11.0.1..

Also, 11.1 update finally re-enables install on Late 2013/14 13-inch rMBPs, and updates their BootROM, hopefully without turning most of them into boat anchors.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Dec 14, 2020

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I just tried to grab the update for my late-2013 MBP and it wasn't showing up as available. Maybe it needs to hit the CDNs

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Also out in the wild:

Security Update 2020-007 for 10.14.6 (installs Mojave build 18G7016)

Security Update 2020-001 for 10.15.7 (installs Catalina build 19H114)

Safari v.14.0.2 bugfixes and support for the Ecosia search engine

It also looks like Apple updated its HP Printer Drivers package to fix the certificate issue as the mod date is 12/11/2020..

Nothing particularly descriptive for either, just security updates and bug fixes.. both update the BootROM on your Mac, presumably to fold in the latest Intel microcode CPU patches for Spectre and Meltdown..

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Dec 14, 2020

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

i admit the main reason i haven't upgraded is simply that even if there were no issues i prefer the look of catalina and i haven't seen any compelling reasons to switch.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

i haven't upgraded my work machine i'm still using at home because my home machine (imac 2013) can't be upgraded officially and i don't want to deal with 2 different macoses right now

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Don’t update because of the rank spacing on the menu bar IMO

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Just had a Macbook air come in the shop. Upgraded from El Capitan to Big Sur. Did not work at all. Im left with one APFS boot system partition that wont boot and one encrypted data partition that the apple ID will not unlock. loving nice apple, really nice. Data lost yet again.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

That's like OS whiplash right there.. Apple themselves recommend that Macs going to Big Sur from 10.9 or so have at least 44.5 GB free.. maybe there wasn't that much space left?

It also sounds like its BootROM is in some hosed up transitional state..

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Dec 15, 2020

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES
I don’t care about the menu spacing in Big Sur, but there is so much wasted space EVERYWHERE. The messages app is egregious on small screens.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
It's cause it's optimized for touch control. :unsmigghh:

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
it looks fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010