Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

On a scale of 1-10. How Diminished has the DUPs political influence in the UK become in the last year?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

They became entirely politically irrelevant the minute the tories had a majority without them.

Unless you live in NI where they have some juridiction over.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

It just bugs me when people misuse that, especially in the UK where spread betting is much less common*. "the odds" is a much better-known turn of phrase in the UK, has less letters, and actually makes sense for a simple win/lose bet like that.

* Yeah I know most of the betting companies do it, but most of our sports (shut up rugby and cricket you're not sports) don't really work with it, at least for simple point spreads, and the bets that do work for it are weird poo poo like number of corners or time of first booking that are actually there just to capture that particular class of sports nerd who thinks that because they use "xG" a lot in forums posts they have an advanced and in-depth knowledge of the game and are Sophisticated Informed Gamblers rather than people just betting on cockroach racing.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Katt posted:

On a scale of 1-10. How Diminished has the DUPs political influence in the UK become in the last year?

I'd say they're about the same level as CUK rn

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
https://twitter.com/AdamBienkov/status/1338524604319592448?s=20

I said this upthread as a joke, but now I'm all-in on the "there's no such thing as a new strain, they're just covering up for their vaccine being useless" conspiracy bandwagon

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
Completely useless government policies on lockdowns and £22b track and trace system? No, it's the covid that is wrong.

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

sebzilla posted:

Just got round to reading this interview.

https://twitter.com/jacobinmag/status/1338130516445315072

He's a bloody good egg, isn't he?

Think what you will of his skill as a politician, but he's a goddamn inspiration as a human being.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
this is probably the most owning the libs thing trump can do if he also pardons snowden lol

https://twitter.com/Snowden/status/1338525680615690240?s=20

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

:hmbol: if he actually does that.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
When will we officially know that any chance of a Brexit deal is over? January first? They seem to keep extending that final deadline.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Answers Me posted:

I said this upthread as a joke, but now I'm all-in on the "there's no such thing as a new strain, they're just covering up for their vaccine being useless" conspiracy bandwagon

The Tories have not developed an in-house vaccine. If they did have an R&D department it would be strictly focused on new sedatives for children which also erased short-term memory

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Clive Lewis has been attacking Starmer on it too

https://twitter.com/labourlewis/status/1338468008369532929?s=21

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Answers Me posted:

He said it in context of the out-of-control spread in London and South East, a rather easier conspiracy is that he was desperately waffling to cover up for the fact that London was put in T2 with absolutely no scientific basis but no doubt under massive pressure from Rishi and chums.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

forkboy84 posted:

Dunking on Sunny Hundal is like scoring into an empty net from 3 yards so instead I'll ask a more important question

Want to get a bottle of gin for my sister. My budget is extremely low (I have £20 and need £7 for the bus). I can maybe scrape together another £10 by digging through loose change. So let's say my budget is £20. I know as much about gin as I know about not running out of money just before Christmas so I'm looking for recommendations. How are Lidl or Aldi gin? Any other brands worth considering?

Christmas on a very tight budget loving sucks, especially when everyone who buys you thinks isn't working on such a tight budget. Great respect for my folks from when I was a kid.

Do you know what she likes? £20 is not an issue. As mentioned Tanqueray has plummeted in price to around £16 a bottle, and it's dragged quite a few down below the £20 mark! Here are a few other options.

If she likes Hendricks -> this is a good sub https://www.aldi.co.uk/harrison-gin/p/010208272026000
If she likes Bombay -> https://www.aldi.co.uk/topaz-blue-premium-gin/p/077090237381001

Apologies for amazon links, but they have good prices and if it saves you a bus fare... Opihr is spicy https://www.amazon.co.uk/Opihr-Oriental-Spiced-Gin-70/dp/B00N3VMDJY

BrewDog's is a bit different, and good at £20 https://www.amazon.co.uk/LoneWolf-London-Dry-Gin-70/dp/B07RL6C466/ They also do a lovely Lemon one https://www.amazon.co.uk/LoneWolf-Cloudy-Lemon-Gin-700/dp/B07X4B9VB5

And I've not tried this one, but Old Tom is a great style of gin, so it might well be worth a go! https://www.lidl.co.uk/en/p/classic-gin/hortus-old-tom-gin/p36150

But the absolute best bargain on the market at the minute is Asda selling Brooklyn for £25. It's a great, great bottle (and the actual bottle itself is also amazing) and it's a £33-35 gin normally (and still is everywhere else, I've no idea what Asda are doing)

VVV In that case you won't go wrong with Tanqueray (£16 at asda, morrisons, 18 at tesco) or Bombay Sapphire (£17 most places)

Red Oktober fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Dec 14, 2020

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Red Oktober posted:

Do you know what she likes?

God no. I don't think there's any dislike in our relationship but we just are not remotely close. If I did I'd get her something better than a bottle of booze. (And a book. I know she reads so I got her a classic, The Master & Margarita by Bulgakov because I dunno, I read it & thought it was cool & I don't think she's read it?)

I'm a poo poo brother tbh

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/paulwaugh/status/1338545756140138499?s=20

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

If you want, you can also do a gin yourself based on vodka. I've tried a bit bit this fall, but am not yet happy with it: they're all a bit too flavorful and none of them are remotely white.

Nutapii
Jun 24, 2020
Interesting timing for the BBC to put together a "stories" piece, effectively an opinion column with nothing indicating it wasn't news, of a contact tracer, and how very disappointed she is in public compliance, and how while contract tracing wasn't the best and the politicians weren't compliant it's the public who have been disgraceful. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/stories-55280321

It's almost as if people act on leadership direction! But as a nurse, and absolutely not along with three of her anonymous friends an NHS comms piece, she knows it's just that we're all selfish.

Nutapii fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Dec 14, 2020

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

I think there would literally have to be bodies piling up in the streets for the Tories to cancel Christmas.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Mano posted:

If you want, you can also do a gin yourself based on vodka. I've tried a bit bit this fall, but am not yet happy with it: they're all a bit too flavorful and none of them are remotely white.

If you’re infusing you’re generally going to end up with a yellow hue. You can filter through a Brita or chill and muslin cloth to take a bit of the colour out, but you’re not going to get near to the colourless that you get from distilling.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Comrade Fakename posted:

I think there would literally have to be bodies Tory MPs piling up in the streets for the Tories to cancel Christmas.

Ftfy

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

If the government say to not visit for christmas people just won't listen. Having a limited window where you tell people it's OK is better then them not listening then going to meet for new years etc aswell. But coming out of lockdown on the 2nd was stupid, we should still be in it but gotta get that christmas shopping done.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Nutapii posted:

Interesting timing for the BBC to put together a "stories" piece, effectively an opinion column with nothing indicating it wasn't news, of a contact tracer, and how very disappointed she is in public compliance, and how while contract tracing wasn't the best and the politicians weren't compliant it's the public who have been disgraceful. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/stories-55280321

It's almost as if people act on leadership direction! But as a nurse, and absolutely not along with three of her anonymous friends an NHS comms piece, she knows it's just that we're all selfish.

I was just reading that. My mind went to "how strange, I atomised and individualised society, and now expect people to behave as a society? I am very intelligent" for the Tories. But yes, also blaming the public.

At least they're leaving voicemails, I was expecting it to say they weren't allowed for "data protection", and act surprised that people were ignoring unknown numbers that don't leave one.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

If I didn't like Alan Rickman so much, I'd be looking for a meme with his "cancel Christmas" replaced with Han Mattcock.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Nothingtoseehere posted:

If the government say to not visit for christmas people just won't listen. Having a limited window where you tell people it's OK is better then them not listening then going to meet for new years etc aswell.

This made some sense on balance when there were going to be effective measures before Christmas so infections would be on the downturn and we'd just be extending the curve a bit, but while everything's actively getting worse it's going to cause chaos.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Nothingtoseehere posted:

If the government say to not visit for christmas people just won't listen. Having a limited window where you tell people it's OK is better then them not listening then going to meet for new years etc aswell. But coming out of lockdown on the 2nd was stupid, we should still be in it but gotta get that christmas shopping done.

Except they're just going to go for new years too.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

cant cook creole bream posted:

When will we officially know that any chance of a Brexit deal is over? January first? They seem to keep extending that final deadline.

Eh, it'll happen one way or the other, although we may need a few weeks of no-deal chaos to concentrate people's minds sufficiently first. Here's a good FT article explaining why there'll be a deal at the end of all this:

The Financial Times posted:

And so we stumble onwards. The extension of trade talks between the EU and the UK should not be a surprise. For all Boris Johnson’s bravado about “prospering mightily”, the British prime minister knows that a “no deal” Brexit would be disastrous for the country. The EU would also suffer, but not nearly as much. So there will probably be a deal struck before the end of the year; if not, soon afterwards.

When an agreement is reached, it will largely be on Europe’s terms. The EU will doubtless makes some concessions on fisheries as part of last-minute haggling. But Britain will have to agree to the EU’s central demand, which is that there must be “level-playing field” rules — ensuring that the UK cannot undercut EU regulations on competition at will.

The reason that the deal will be done on the EU’s terms is the same reason why the whole Brexit process has been so painful for Britain — a fundamental asymmetry in power between the two sides. Britain sends 43 per cent of its exports to the EU; Germany, France and Italy all send around 6 per cent of their exports to Britain. The population of the UK is nearly 67m; that of the EU is 447m. Even without Britain, the EU has a single market comparable in size to that of the US or China.

Mr Johnson insists that the UK and the EU are “sovereign equals”. But, as long as the EU maintains its unity, they are not equals in terms of power. And that is what has mattered in these negotiations. It is why Britain has made a series of painful concessions over the past four years — most notably by agreeing to a separate status for Northern Ireland, which will see customs checks on goods crossing the Irish Sea, effectively dividing the United Kingdom.

The British have always insisted there is a win-win deal that Brussels and London should both happily embrace. But they have failed to understand how the EU sees its own interests. The integrity and attractiveness of the European single market is the EU’s single most important strategic asset. Brussels is determined not to undermine that strength, by allowing the UK market access on terms that are too advantageous.

The Europeans also need to demonstrate to Eurosceptic forces within their own countries that leaving the EU is a bad idea. So they have always been much less sold on the idea that there can be a “win-win” outcome from Brexit.

Once the Europeans had decided that it was not in their interests to grant Britain the easy access to the single market that Mr Johnson had breezily promised to UK voters, relative power became crucial. Unfortunately, Britain’s Leavers have consistently overestimated Britain’s power — believing that the EU was about to fold or make concessions that never materialised.

Why did Britain make this mistake? Partly because Leavers have placed far too much faith in the fact that the EU enjoys a large trade surplus with the UK. They have forgotten that, on a global scale, Britain is only one market among many. For years, the British have been waiting for the German carmakers to arrive over the horizon — like Gebhard Leberecht von Blucher at Waterloo — and save the day. We are still waiting. Reduced access to the British market would be painful for German carmakers — but not so painful that it is worth undermining the integrity of the EU single market.

More broadly, Britain’s Leavers were guilty of swallowing their own propaganda. For decades, the belief that the EU (and/or the euro) is on the point of collapse has been a staple of British Eurosceptic discourse. A generation brought up on tales of British military victories over Germany and France finds it hard to envisage that “if it comes to it”, Britain will not ultimately prevail over those flaky Europeans.

This kind of jingoism was epitomised by the recent remark by Gavin Williamson, Britain’s education secretary, that we’re “a much better country than every single one of them”. This is the same man, who as defence secretary, once told the Russians to “shut up and go away”.

As their illusions have been stripped away, Brexiters have resorted to complaining that the EU is treating Britain unfairly. But students of international relations and trade negotiations could have pointed out to them that relying on the kindness of other countries is not a sound strategy. Nations, Britain included, look out for their own interests first.

Horror at the weakness of Britain’s position has led to an outbreak of xenophobia and empty bluster. One British newspaper this weekend, quoting an unnamed government minister, shouted — “Merkel wants Britain to crawl across broken glass”.

The previous day, the same paper’s headline had screamed — “We’ll send in Gunboats”. The obvious response to that is — and then what? Confronting French fishermen with military force invites non-military retaliation from the whole of the EU — which brings Britain back to that awkward asymmetry in power.

In the two world wars — which have done so much to frame Brexiter thinking — the UK prevailed with the help of America. But the Biden administration will not ride to Britain’s rescue in a confrontation with the EU. A no-deal Brexit would result in not-very-splendid isolation. That is why a deal, largely on the EU’s terms, is by far the likeliest outcome.

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

Jose posted:

this is probably the most owning the libs thing trump can do if he also pardons snowden lol

https://twitter.com/Snowden/status/1338525680615690240?s=20

What was the tweet? Gone already.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Perhaps a hamster posted:

What was the tweet? Gone already.

He quoted a Trump-associated pastor claiming our very honorable President was on the verge of pardoning Assange, and that it would be good for freedom of the press if he did. The pastor then tweeted that he heard wrong.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Very grudgingly placed towards the bottom right 'above the fold' on the graun online front page:

Ed: forgot to say it was the Stairmaster's faux pas today:

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Dec 14, 2020

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

Comrade Fakename posted:

I think there would literally have to be bodies piling up in the streets for the Tories to cancel Christmas.

It’d make a fitting finale to British neoliberalism, considering that the whole 70s mythos of ‘there were bodies piling up in the streets there were’ is what got us here in the first place

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
I've never heard of bodies in the streets being part of it. Well, not outside out of NI anyway. Boomers were traumatised for life in the 70s by seeing bin bags and empty Fray Bentos and Happy Shopper tins and maybe even an old mattress or tyre on the streets

for a few weeks

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

crispix posted:

I've never heard of bodies in the streets being part of it. Well, not outside out of NI anyway. Boomers were traumatised for life in the 70s by seeing bin bags and empty Fray Bentos and Happy Shopper tins and maybe even an old mattress or tyre on the streets

for a few weeks

Not quite in the streets but they were piling up in mortuaries and elsewhere oop north:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winter_of_Discontent#Gravediggers%27_strike

wiki posted:

Gravediggers' strike
At a strike committee meeting in the Liverpool area earlier in January, it was reported that although local binmen were supportive of the strike, they did not want to be the first to do so as they had always been. The committee then asked Ian Lowes, convener for the GMWU local, to have the gravediggers and crematoria workers he represented take the lead instead. He accepted, as long as the other unions followed; and the GMWU's national executive approved the strike.[41]

Those unions had never gone on strike before, Lowes recalled in 2006, and he had not expected that permission to be granted. "I knew how the press was going to latch on to it," he said "and they totally underestimated the venom that headed our way." Larry Whitty, an executive official with the union, also agreed later that it had been a mistake to approve the strike.[41] The GMWU at the time was also known as the most conservative and least militant of the public employee unions; frequently it had used its influence within the Labour Party to frustrate left-wing challenges to the leadership, and its officials rarely faced contested elections for their positions. Faced with the growing threat from NUPE and the Confederation of Health Service Employees, both of which were growing more quickly, it was trying not to be what members of those unions called the 'scab union'.[42]

The ensuing strike, in Liverpool and in Tameside near Manchester, was later frequently referred to by Conservative politicians.[43] Eighty gravediggers being on strike, Liverpool City Council hired a factory in Speke to store the corpses until they could be buried. The Department of Environment noted that there were 150 bodies stored at the factory at one point, with 25 more added every day. The reports of unburied bodies caused concern with the public.[44] On 1 February a persistent journalist asked the Medical Officer of Health for Liverpool, Dr Duncan Bolton, what would be done if the strike continued for months, Bolton speculated that burial at sea would be considered. Although his response was hypothetical, in the circumstances it caused great alarm. Other alternatives were considered, including allowing the bereaved to dig their own funeral's graves, deploying troops, and engaging private contractors to inter the bodies. The main concerns were said to be aesthetic because bodies could be safely stored in heat-sealed bags for up to six weeks.[44] Bolton later reported being "horrified" by the sensationalised reportage of the strike in the mass media.[45] The gravediggers eventually settled for a 14 per cent rise after a fortnight off the job.

In their later memoirs, Callaghan and Healey both blamed NUPE for letting the strike go on as long as it did, as would Conservatives. While the Tameside gravediggers had been members of that union, those in the Liverpool area were GMWU.[46]

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
A good time for old jimmy saviles, I shouldn't wonder

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

The Winter of Discontent was pretty bad though. I was a student living in central London at the time.
All the big squares were full to the brim of rotting, stinking black bags and rats (with that population density and rubbish not being collected, it was pretty serious).

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/AdamBienkov/status/1338581709705654272?s=20

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

This is probably not a good thing for Labour's chances of winning a majority any time soon, right?

https://twitter.com/PARLYapp/status/1338582220206903297?s=19

thrashingteeth
Dec 22, 2019

depressive hedonia
always tired
taco tuesday
https://twitter.com/barnyskinner/status/1338569447662039041?s=19

Oh my god. Help.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

sebzilla posted:

This is probably not a good thing for Labour's chances of winning a majority any time soon, right?

https://twitter.com/PARLYapp/status/1338582220206903297?s=19

Not with those inter-England regional reallocations no.

Still, the way forward is to realise you won't seize power electorally and adjust your activism accordingly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Katt posted:

Infinitesimal.
They are back to infighting amongst themselves and pettiness point scoring against Sinn Fein.
Foster is no doubt trying to phone Boris daily, to try to get back to the adult table.
The Evangelical old guard of the DUP are getting more and more boisterous, they are not happy with Foster