Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
27GN950 came yesterday but I’ve only been able to use it for work so far.

Looks great with my MacBook Pro, but the USB-C to DP adapter I bought doesn’t work. The monitor detects an input but my laptop just flashes between resolutions trying to figure out what to do. Turning off automatic graphics switching didn’t help. So now I’m running at 4K30 over HDMI like a chump.

It’s very finicky about what HDMI cable I use. If I don’t use the one supplied I get a warning, and two of the three cables I tried won’t stay connected and flicker. Could be the usb-c dongle I’m using, though, so I’ve ordered a new one that’s supposed to handle 4k60 over HDMI.

Win10 looks fantastic. I guess they fixed scaling? One weird behavior is if I RDC into my Windows box, when I return to it the monitor displays no signal, but detects a connection, until I unplug and reconnect the DP cable.

I’ll try some games tonight.

The RGB on the back is actually pretty great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

air- posted:

That's what I was expecting but all sorts of apps like Spotify, Discord etc don't look any different, they all have the same distortion and it's straining to read.
Discord at least is Electron based which has all kinds of stupid font rendering issues regularly.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

air- posted:

That's what I was expecting but all sorts of apps like Spotify, Discord etc don't look any different, they all have the same distortion and it's straining to read.

You might want to try playing with the sharpness. A lot of monitors come out of the box with the meaningless sharpness slider on max, and it makes text a disaster imo.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

Looking for a not-crazy-expensive (under $400?) monitor with USB-C PD and a built-in KVM switch. Prefer 27” and 1440p, but can be flexible if there’s a good deal somewhere.

Suggestions?

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.

smax posted:

Looking for a not-crazy-expensive (under $400?) monitor with USB-C PD and a built-in KVM switch. Prefer 27” and 1440p, but can be flexible if there’s a good deal somewhere.

Suggestions?

https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16824012018

I see that one mentioned a fair amount with regards to KVM.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Disappointing Pie posted:

This is one of those rare times in this thread that somebody actually makes exactly what someone was looking for.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

Score, thank you!

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Holy poo poo 34" ultrawide :pcgaming:

This LG is slick. Wasn't sure about going curved but it's actually really nice.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

Looking into it some more the m27q only offers 10W output over USB-C, basically enough to charge a phone.

Are there any other options that can put out in the ballpark of 60W?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

smax posted:

Looking into it some more the m27q only offers 10W output over USB-C, basically enough to charge a phone.

Are there any other options that can put out in the ballpark of 60W?

check out the viewsonic VP2771

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

I was pretty stoked about the KVM feature but this monitor is a bargain for a reason - the BGR subpixel rendering makes text illegible and I've already boxed it back up for return

Spent some more time reading about this issue too and I'm not the only one who found the eye strain unacceptable: https://www.reddit.com/r/Monitors/comments/k9gund/m27q_and_its_bgr_subpixel_layout_causes_blurry/

e: If anyone wants to buy this monitor, keep in mind Newegg has a terrible return policy nowadays, get it at Best Buy instead

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/gigabyte-27-ips-led-qhd-freesync-monitor-with-kvm-hdmi-displayport-usb-black/6438287.p?skuId=6438287

air- fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Dec 12, 2020

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I can’t get my 27GN950 to run at anything above 60hz. I’ve got a 1080ti and ran the Nvidia DP version updater, and updated the monitors firmware and installed the drivers. No higher options appear at all. Also, the monitor displays no signal if DP1.4 is selected in the OSD.

I assume my refresh rate issues are tied to running at 1.2. Any suggestions?

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

I have a Dell S2721DGF and a LG 27GL83A-B. Does anyone want anything compared between the two? Bear in mind, I have no special equipment.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Can anyone recommend a good 4k monitor with 100+ refresh rate, 30-40inch. Prefer curved since I already have a multiple monitor setup like that. Currently I have a 34" 1440p ultrawide + another 4k 60hz 47" + 4k 27" 60hz.

I will probably sell the 27" 4k monitor, both my 4k monitors suck for gaming cause of the low refresh rate and the big one I mainly use for work. Gaming on 1440p is fine but I have a 3090 and new ryzen 5800x cpu so I really want to try get a good gaming 4k monitor.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I think I'm pulling the trigger on the LG 27GL850-B, I've never actually seen HDR but have read some so-so things to say about the HDR quality on this one, can anyone attest to that? I assume it's the kind of thing that having never seen it before I won't notice if it's bad or not but still thought I'd ask because if I'm going to upgrade I'm looking for HDR.

Edit:Followup question: how much more horsepower does it take to get 60+ frames with QHD over a standard 1080p resolution? I have a GTX 1070 so no plans on going 4k anytime soon but was hoping that would be enough to get decent frames in 1440p

explosivo fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Dec 12, 2020

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

air- posted:

e: If anyone wants to buy this monitor, keep in mind Newegg has a terrible return policy nowadays, get it at Best Buy instead

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/gigabyte-27-ips-led-qhd-freesync-monitor-with-kvm-hdmi-displayport-usb-black/6438287.p?skuId=6438287

Newegg got rid of the dead pixel requirements on returns, if that is what you are referring to.

e:

air- posted:

No, what I had in mind was how Newegg charges customers restocking fees and return shipping

Gotcha!

TheDK fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Dec 12, 2020

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

explosivo posted:

I think I'm pulling the trigger on the LG 27GL850-B, I've never actually seen HDR but have read some so-so things to say about the HDR quality on this one, can anyone attest to that? I assume it's the kind of thing that having never seen it before I won't notice if it's bad or not but still thought I'd ask because if I'm going to upgrade I'm looking for HDR.

Edit:Followup question: how much more horsepower does it take to get 60+ frames with QHD over a standard 1080p resolution? I have a GTX 1070 so no plans on going 4k anytime soon but was hoping that would be enough to get decent frames in 1440p

I dunno you may try it and like it but owning a lg c9 makes the monitors hdr look like dogshit

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

TheDK posted:

Newegg got rid of the dead pixel requirements on returns, if that is what you are referring to.

No, what I had in mind was how Newegg charges customers restocking fees and return shipping

Hutzpah
Nov 6, 2009
Fun Shoe
I'm building baby's first computer for my brother and need to get a monitor. It's not anything special - he spends most of his time playing world of warcraft or watching youtube - but I'd like it to be decent. Is 1080p 24" or so still the standard? Ideally this will cost $150 or less.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.

Hutzpah posted:

I'm building baby's first computer for my brother and need to get a monitor. It's not anything special - he spends most of his time playing world of warcraft or watching youtube - but I'd like it to be decent. Is 1080p 24" or so still the standard? Ideally this will cost $150 or less.

You honestly may think I'm crazy but I've gotten so many totally great monitors from pawn shops or used goodwill like stores. I just take an old tiny laptop and hdmi cable and make sure they power on and display fine and I've gotten a few for around $20 that honestly should be worth five times that. You can find solid 1080p monitors in that range anywhere I feel.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!
How does the thread feel about the HP x27i? Seems very competitively priced and almost too good to be true? Is there something wrong with it that I'm missing?

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

3200mhz RAM is literally the Devil. Literally.
Lipstick Apathy
Trip report after having the CX48 for 3 days and playing cyberpunk on it....jfc its amazing

If you have a corner desk and your in the price point of this or a monitor you have to buy this its breath taking

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Man, I would love to own the CX - I got to see Control on my OLED phone display while testing stream settings and my god it was gorgeous. Realistically I’m still too worried about burn-in though.

My dream monitor would be a 34” high refresh rate 5K2K ultrawide with miniLED at this point.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

explosivo posted:

The HDR is uselss on these monitors, they don't go bright enough and have no local dimming, forget about it.

QHD is 3.7MP compared to 2MP, but in actual games the scaling doesn't seem to be that bad. I'm getting about 32 fps in Cyberpunk at 1440p and 45 at 1080p, though YMMV.

You honestly may think I'm crazy but I've gotten so many totally great monitors from pawn shops or used goodwill like stores. I just take an old tiny laptop and hdmi cable and make sure they power on and display fine and I've gotten a few for around $20 that honestly should be worth five times that. You can find solid 1080p monitors in that range anywhere I feel.
I have a bunch of pretty decent monitors (old school 1280x1024 and 1080p) that I don't want to throw out but are also worth little enough to motivate me to sell them, so they just stand around. I'd probably give them away too if someone asked.

Scarecow posted:

Trip report after having the CX48 for 3 days and playing cyberpunk on it....jfc its amazing

If you have a corner desk and your in the price point of this or a monitor you have to buy this its breath taking
Hmm, I do have a corner desk. How far away are you sitting from the screen? I'm about 25" away from the 27" Dell I just got a few months ago, and could probably fit it by moving it a bit closer. It'd be actually exactly the width of this 27" and older 24" I still have sitting next to it.

That said, by time %, I mainly use my desktop for work stuff so I think I'd be still concerned with burnout. I don't even watch movies on it since I have a projector so it's a bit hard to justify still.

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

3200mhz RAM is literally the Devil. Literally.
Lipstick Apathy
I'm about 1.2m away from the screen, tbh though if your doing mostly work that isn't video or photo editing then yeah probably not the one to buy

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

So I got a second LG 27" 144hz (annoyingly, it's the LG 27GL83A instead of the LG 27GL83A-B so it has a slightly different bezel) and every time the secondary monitor goes idle, the windows on that monitor move to the primary monitor. I know this is an issue with DisplayPort and there are hundreds of threads and posts about it seemingly everywhere, but annoyingly, I can't seem to find a definitive solution to this issue (other than connecting via HDMI).

What do I do?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Is there a thread recommended monitor for "moderately priced, 24 inch, 60hz is fine, adjustable stand would be nice" monitor? For a younger teenage nephew and anything will be better than nothing, so I don't need to go to crazy.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Internet Explorer posted:

Is there a thread recommended monitor for "moderately priced, 24 inch, 60hz is fine, adjustable stand would be nice" monitor? For a younger teenage nephew and anything will be better than nothing, so I don't need to go to crazy.

honestly whatever’s on sale? there’s lots of options imo

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Yeah, that's kinda what I expected. Mostly commodity at this point.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
you said available in december, when's the fuckin X34GS coming out, Acer? :mad:

monitor companies are the fuckin' worst, they make GPU launches look regimented and orderly

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

My 27GL850-B came today and it's pretty fantastic. It ticks all the boxes for me in what I was looking for even if I may not be able to use 2K all the time with my current video card. I tested Borderlands 3 going between 1080p and 1440p and I do lose about 20-30fps, but it's still above 60 so I'll probably stick with it. At least I do still have the option to go back down to HD if I want to so it's not a huge deal. Very very happy with this purchase so far :D

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

explosivo posted:

My 27GL850-B came today and it's pretty fantastic. It ticks all the boxes for me in what I was looking for even if I may not be able to use 2K all the time with my current video card. I tested Borderlands 3 going between 1080p and 1440p and I do lose about 20-30fps, but it's still above 60 so I'll probably stick with it. At least I do still have the option to go back down to HD if I want to so it's not a huge deal. Very very happy with this purchase so far :D

Borderlands 3 is more resource-demanding than it seems like it should be. I was able to run acceptable framerates with mostly Ultra graphics at 1440p (with dips down to below 60 that freesync handled) on a 3600X with 32GB RAM and a 2070 Super. In Wolfenstein: Youngblood I'm at least 20-60 fps faster with lows in the 80s.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Borderlands 3 is more resource-demanding than it seems like it should be. I was able to run acceptable framerates with mostly Ultra graphics at 1440p (with dips down to below 60 that freesync handled) on a 3600X with 32GB RAM and a 2070 Super. In Wolfenstein: Youngblood I'm at least 20-60 fps faster with lows in the 80s.

Glad to hear it because I was sorta thinking along the same lines. My system isn't terrible but had to go down to medium/lows to get a fairly steady 120+ which I thought was strange for a game like Borderlands.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Ended up getting one of these ultrawides from Gigabyte for work. Pretty happy with it, though it looks like the HDMI port only goes up to 100hz?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

FilthyImp posted:

Ended up getting one of these ultrawides from Gigabyte for work. Pretty happy with it, though it looks like the HDMI port only goes up to 100hz?
Technically HDMI 2.0 has enough bandwidth to handle up to 121 Hz at 1440p 21:9, so this must just be a controller limitation.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Is >60Hz 4K a thing yet? For gaming I'd drive it at lower resolutions and refresh rates, but I'd like to have a hidpi display for desktop usage and I like the smooth dragging and scrolling on my current 1440p display's 144hz mode.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Sapozhnik posted:

Is >60Hz 4K a thing yet? For gaming I'd drive it at lower resolutions and refresh rates, but I'd like to have a hidpi display for desktop usage and I like the smooth dragging and scrolling on my current 1440p display's 144hz mode.

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/lg/27gn950-b

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

wolrah posted:

Technically HDMI 2.0 has enough bandwidth to handle up to 121 Hz at 1440p 21:9, so this must just be a controller limitation.

It's not uncommon to see HDMI being limited to 100Hz if it can't make it to 144Hz. But yeah, if you want >100Hz on that monitor, you need to use DP.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
My 83A wouldn't let me access the higher framerates via hdmi until I turned off adaptive sync on the monitor. Then it could up to 144hz.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Looks good but I'll wait for a display that also supports usb-c to come out. Ideally I'd like to have a single cable that I can connect to either a desktop or a laptop although I don't know how realistic that is. Since the desktop parts market seems like it is going to remain crazy for a long time I'm not in any particular hurry.