Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

IceAgeComing posted:

Who knows what his politics actually are

Tanahashi's politics are rocking the gently caress out on air guitar then toweling himself down with fans' towels while they sob with joy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

Tanahashi's politics are rocking the gently caress out on air guitar then toweling himself down with fans' towels while they sob with joy.

And making Okada cry.

EDIT:

Very NotMad Reddit user 'Ninjast4r' posted:

The current generation of people that want to be wrestlers are coddled bitches who were not told "no" by indy promoters and fed a constant line of praise from the IWC echo chamber who like anything not WWE just to stick it to Vince as if he cares.

The WWE is the only place that rejects people for being talentless, therefore fed Bad, indy/AEW/Impact good. In the good old days, wrestling was closed off and gatekept to prevent things like AEW and modern Indy wrestling from happening. The territories had to draw money and they had to keep people interested so they protected kayfabe and took the poo poo seriously so houses would keep drawing and thus keep everyone employed. People who killed houses were told to gently caress off and forced out of the business to prevent further harm from being done.

Anyone who wanted to be a wrestler was attempted to be driven off by the boys and only the ones who appeared dedicated to the business were allowed in, and even then they were stretched and sometimes injured to test their mettle and dedication. Only if you were deemed worthy and passionate enough to be trusted with kayfabe were you let in

But now "wReStlInG iS FoR eVeRyOne" so now a bunch of videogame playing nerds who never learned how to work properly and only want to do cool poo poo in the ring are in the business, and the only people left watching are the fat neckbeard nerds who like that kind of poo poo. More often then not people you ask will tell you "I used to watch wrestling" than they will tell you they still do and actually enjoy this crap.

Lol I went through his post history and he's still mad about Anita Sarkeesian. I'd be very careful about throwing the neckbeard insult out if I were him.

Dimebags Brain fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Dec 13, 2020

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Cerebral Bore posted:

OK. So tell me more about the anti-white people hate crimes and oppression that such a burning hatred must surely lead to.

Hmm, yes, a bunch of fascists riding around shouting anti-foreigner rhetoric on their way to kick off outside of foreign embassies and consulates can't possibly be xenophobic or racist.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Extremely lol at any post implying WWE cares about kayfabe anymore or never hires talentless people

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

Justin_Brett posted:

Extremely lol at any post implying WWE cares about kayfabe anymore or never hires talentless people

the idea that the company that scripts out every single word you say and move you do is the only place you don't get coddled is insanely funny.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Now, granted, this would also apply to a lot of other promotions including AEW, but has anyone worked out how much money WWE would be losing without the TV money? Because the idea that they're drawing money in the traditional sense while shedding viewers at like 4 times the rate of TV ratings decline is hilarious.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Dimebags Brain posted:

Lol I went through his post history and he's still mad about Anita Sarkeesian. I'd be very careful about throwing the neckbeard insult out if I were him.

this guy is complaining about nerds ruining wrestling

wonder how he feels about jerry lawler

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Gaz-L posted:

Now, granted, this would also apply to a lot of other promotions including AEW, but has anyone worked out how much money WWE would be losing without the TV money? Because the idea that they're drawing money in the traditional sense while shedding viewers at like 4 times the rate of TV ratings decline is hilarious.

Probably a significant sum because tv rights are the primary revenue driver for wrestling now. WWE brings in 300-450 million a year just on Raw and SmackDown.

Anyone asserting the current product wouldn’t fly back in the good ol’ territory days is refusing to understand that doesn’t matter anymore because live event gates are not the be all, end all of revenue.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
https://twitter.com/tholzerman/status/1338140642992664576?s=21

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

Probably a significant sum because tv rights are the primary revenue driver for wrestling now. WWE brings in 300-450 million a year just on Raw and SmackDown.

Anyone asserting the current product wouldn’t fly back in the good ol’ territory days is refusing to understand that doesn’t matter anymore because live event gates are not the be all, end all of revenue.

Well, it's that they act like WWE's current product/business model would've worked back then, not like these outlaw 'fake' promotions. Which is absurd when most of those indies like PWG worked by drawing live gates, DVD/iPPV and merch money.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

The dumbest weirdo on Twitter with a new spicy take

https://twitter.com/MeltzerSaidWhat/status/1338362533833531396?s=19

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

https://twitter.com/kidmojo99/status/1338354703059591168?s=21

Yeah, that’s why WALTER and Ilya haven’t been on TV.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Back in August, Go Shiozaki and Kenou had a hour-long time-limit draw of a match that has received a lot of praise from virtually everyone that has watched it. Here is an exception from a commenter on Cagematch:

"I'm reminded of an incident a handful of years ago involving Jack from YouTube wrestling news hub "Cultaholic" a forum that is predominately focused on news and discussion of major wrestling companies (WWE, AEW, NJPW, etc). On the off chance that they report on lesser known or infrequently discussed pockets of the wrestling world, they are often sloppy and inaccurate in their reports, such as when Jack described then-recent NOAH heavyweight Kenoh as originating in "Dragon Gate". Jack and Cultaholic at large was mocked by the small, but vocal puroresu community for such a glaring oversight. While I understand this outrage, in retrospect, I feel as if this comment has aged quite well, as the main event of NOAH's 20th Anniversary show featured what I can only describe as a performance only a Dragon Gate wrestler could pull off, courtesy of everyone's favorite bowlcut wearing, Napoleon complex possessed Fist King. 3600 seconds with little in the way of structure, thematic consistency, or really anything beyond a handful of overboard spots and intense strike exchanges, Jinsei Shinzaki's putulant infant of a trainee truly "Opened The Gate". Kenoh is, and I do not mince words here, the most cringeworthy dolt to hop aboard the Ark since Chris Hero. I'd like to thank "Jack the Jobber" of former WhatCulture notoriety, for putting into words, intentionally or not, what wrestling is truly about. Match was alright I guess."

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Cagematch comments are an under-rated source of bad takes.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

The latest cult postings I’ve seen on Twitter are that AEW is signing everybody to keep them away from WWE.

They’re the bad guy just hoarding talent.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

Punch McLightning posted:

Back in August, Go Shiozaki and Kenou had a hour-long time-limit draw of a match that has received a lot of praise from virtually everyone that has watched it. Here is an exception from a commenter on Cagematch:

"I'm reminded of an incident a handful of years ago involving Jack from YouTube wrestling news hub "Cultaholic" a forum that is predominately focused on news and discussion of major wrestling companies (WWE, AEW, NJPW, etc). On the off chance that they report on lesser known or infrequently discussed pockets of the wrestling world, they are often sloppy and inaccurate in their reports, such as when Jack described then-recent NOAH heavyweight Kenoh as originating in "Dragon Gate". Jack and Cultaholic at large was mocked by the small, but vocal puroresu community for such a glaring oversight. While I understand this outrage, in retrospect, I feel as if this comment has aged quite well, as the main event of NOAH's 20th Anniversary show featured what I can only describe as a performance only a Dragon Gate wrestler could pull off, courtesy of everyone's favorite bowlcut wearing, Napoleon complex possessed Fist King. 3600 seconds with little in the way of structure, thematic consistency, or really anything beyond a handful of overboard spots and intense strike exchanges, Jinsei Shinzaki's putulant infant of a trainee truly "Opened The Gate". Kenoh is, and I do not mince words here, the most cringeworthy dolt to hop aboard the Ark since Chris Hero. I'd like to thank "Jack the Jobber" of former WhatCulture notoriety, for putting into words, intentionally or not, what wrestling is truly about. Match was alright I guess."

the fact that this is so wrong and also has a random dig at noted excellent wrestler chris hero is really magical.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
It has the same structure as "Werner Herzog" reviewing the one L.A. Trader Joe's. 12 minute rant, then a plug for the peanut butter cups.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

forkboy84 posted:

Cagematch comments are an under-rated source of bad takes.

:yeah:, Cagematch is an untapped source for this thread

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

ItohRespectArmy posted:

the fact that this is so wrong and also has a random dig at noted excellent wrestler chris hero is really magical.

Cody Hall wrestled for NOAH. I refuse to accept Kenoh is more cringe than Cody Hall.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Cagematch recently opened its Match Guide up to let anyone add a rating to any match that has a listed length in their database. I was going through and trying to put together a list of matches to watch from ~2004 or something, and there's a user giving 8s, 9s, and 10s to 6 minute matches on Smackdown involving JBL.

None of their comments are hilarious or overly wrong or anything. It reminds me too much of a real life Banjo to be overly negative on. It was annoying as poo poo for what I was working on, though.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

forkboy84 posted:

Cody Hall wrestled for NOAH. I refuse to accept Kenoh is more cringe than Cody Hall.

cody hall would probably go far in the "most cringe wrestler" tournament.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Cagematch recently opened its Match Guide up to let anyone add a rating to any match that has a listed length in their database. I was going through and trying to put together a list of matches to watch from ~2004 or something, and there's a user giving 8s, 9s, and 10s to 6 minute matches on Smackdown involving JBL.

None of their comments are hilarious or overly wrong or anything. It reminds me too much of a real life Banjo to be overly negative on. It was annoying as poo poo for what I was working on, though.

on the plus side now you know jbl's username

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Which one

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
I loving guarantee you JBL is not that wholesome/upbeat.

I post the following with the understanding that art is subjective and we all have different tastes.

Manami Toyota has one 4 rating on her wrestler page. The comment is:

"I like Toyota but she is missing psychology in most of her matches. I do not like her famous tag team matches but like one of her singles matches with Aja Kong. She is too quick for my tastes. She is not the greatest female of all time."

The same poster wrote about Omega-Naito from the 2017 G1:

[2.0] "I do not enjoy to watch the match. I do not like the arena where the match takes place. The match is really lacking storytelling. I do not like the after match celebration of Naito. I prefer a lot the match between Okada and Omega and the one between Naito and Tanahashi. The matchs shows a lot of problems of modern New Japan."

The same match had another comment:

"[2.0] "This was just more of the same for modern njpw. The whole of this year the big matches (outside of tana) are just a barage of stupid dangerous moves followed by no selling them completely so they mean nothing. In this match you had ddts on the ring post and piledrivers to the floor, super reverse ranas and other headrops that meant nothing as they would be running around a few mins later with no issue. There is no real stroy to this match other than dropping each other on their heads as much as possible. Omega is always awful but naito can be a good worker as shown by his tana matches but has such awful tendancies when not held on the straight and narrow by a tallent such as tana. Just a gently caress ton of big moves and nothing meant anything just dreadfull wrestling it is crappy indy spotfests moonlighting in a njpw ring. The two points are for the rather great crowd i cannot immagine how bad this would be without it. *1/2"

Time for some low hanging fruit: comments on AEW:

"it's overhyped to an inexplicable point. the disaster of a women's division and the handling of the big men speak volumes of the inadequate nature. they've got a brutal character like miro and letting him be a gamer who gets angry because best friends broke their arcade game? uh, where is the sports based presentation that was promised? i'm not saying wrestling is not allowed to be fun. but it must depends on the character. my life would be a lot better if i didn't have to see two top wrestler of the company do a musical. hey, if private party did this? alright. not ok by someone like MJF. the weekly wrestling is good. but they already have a hard time topping that in a ppv. apparent by their last one which was pretty bad. the trick is to tone it down in the weeklies, lure your viewers in so they buy the drat ppvs."

"Too much comedy stuff for a serious alternative sports based Pro Wrestling company. This is the biggest disappoint in recent years. AEW can make a good cards, but they can't deliver. Right know, they are too exposed, without the fans is impossible to watch all the long matches, and the spotfest doens't get the same impact without crowd noise or when you could see it on every match. The booking is another thing i heavily deslikes, it makes no sense most of times and a lot of storylines are linked with a youtube show, bad bad take. I really hope Tony Khan gets he's not a genius and starts hire people who can write a proper show and storylines, he doens't need to be another out of the touch guy, seriously."

"They are the true alternative to the WWE and they are the little engine that could. Will they ever de-throne the WWE ? At this rate, absolutely not. You have illogical booking with Sonny Kiss taking the fight to MMA star, Jake Hager, You have Kip Sabian who you could have built this company around and now he is a comedy act. There are way too many tag teams in this company. The womens division is full of un-trained and un-talented females that don't deserve TV time right now. You have Brandi Rhodes asserting herself into anything and everything she can like she is Stephanie McMahon. There are so many problems with this company and yet there are some really bright spots with this company. You take the good with the bad when it comes with AEW. They are an alternative and if you are sick of the WWE, I recommend AEW and if its not for you ..... then stick to the glory days of pro wrestling."

"A very promising company marred by weak undercards and crony hiring practices. The original All In show was a near-perfect supercard featuring the best talents from across the world, and AEW's initial promise of a serious sports-based presentation were enough to get me excited. When the company came to fruition however, we got neither of those things. While the roster has some major talent in the main events, the midcard is often rounded out by green guys who are not there yet, and guys hired solely due to their friendship with the executives. We aren't getting the best and brightest on the wrestling scene, we're getting wrestlers who went to high school with the Young Bucks. I used to be a big PWG fan and remember workers like Peter Avalon and Brandon Cutler fizzling out over there because they weren't good enough. If they weren't good enough for a DVD-based California indie company, why are they now getting jobs for a major, nationally televised promotion? As for the serious UFC-style presentation, that quickly went out the window in favor of a more comedic, silly style that is equal parts PWG, equal parts 80's Crockett. Sometimes it works very well, sometimes it doesn't. So far, the PPVs have all been excellent and I don't think anyone has complained about not getting their money's worth. They truly feel special and deliver on AEW's original potential. Unfortunately, the weekly show leaves a lot to be desired, especially recently now that they're having an abundance of squash matches. Dynamite has turned into a skippable show for me, which is a shame considered I was so hyped for its debut, but ultimately I can still rely on AEW to pull out all the stops for their PPVs."

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

ICR posted:

The latest cult postings I’ve seen on Twitter are that AEW is signing everybody to keep them away from WWE.

They’re the bad guy just hoarding talent.

If true that would be a goddamn mercy mission.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

"Yuka does matches that are full of wacky antics like shoving a stinky shoe in her opponents face, strapping her opponent to a table and sliding them down a flight of steps, doing body slams in kitty pools, and smothering her opponents with stinky socks then passing out in the middle of the ring for well over a minute as if she's dead. She seems like more of a comedian than a actual wrestler. Once you strip away the ridiculousness in most of her matches and look at the actual wrestling you will see that its not that great. Her move set is basic and forgettable. She gets away with alot and often get undeserving credit because fans find her charming"

absolutely adore this negative yuka sakazaki review, cagematch really is a goldmine.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Is this the same dude who gave Ted DiBiase vs. Virgil 10/10?

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

Rarity posted:

Is this the same dude who gave Ted DiBiase vs. Virgil 10/10?

Yes, though you have to be specific - he gave the 8/26/91 Summerslam match a 10. The Mania VII and Prime Time Wrestling matches of the same year only got 8s.

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

Brasky used to ride upon a steed, perchance to spy a lady.

ItohRespectArmy posted:

I smell a new tournament thread!

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Power Windows posted:

I smell a new tournament thread!

first we have to have the tournament tournament thread

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

Brasky used to ride upon a steed, perchance to spy a lady.

ItohRespectArmy posted:

first we have to have the tournament tournament thread

:aaaaa:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

You have Kip Sabian who you could have built this company around

I just spotted this and it's breaking my brain. Like, I like Kip a lot but you loving what? :psyduck:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I love how, in their minds, there's no way for Miro to be a gamer AND a brute. Nope, it has to be one or the other. Can't have any depth at all!

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

ItohRespectArmy posted:

"Yuka does matches that are full of wacky antics like shoving a stinky shoe in her opponents face, strapping her opponent to a table and sliding them down a flight of steps, doing body slams in kitty pools, and smothering her opponents with stinky socks then passing out in the middle of the ring for well over a minute as if she's dead. She seems like more of a comedian than a actual wrestler. Once you strip away the ridiculousness in most of her matches and look at the actual wrestling you will see that its not that great. Her move set is basic and forgettable. She gets away with alot and often get undeserving credit because fans find her charming"

absolutely adore this negative yuka sakazaki review, cagematch really is a goldmine.
I like Yuka more after reading this review

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

ItohRespectArmy posted:

Seth Rollins tough to beat

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
This is a review left on AZM's page. I admittedly can't read... Spanish I think it is but I get enough to understand that this is a very silly review to leave

"This 14 year old girl is VERY GREEN 0/10". Its especially funny when you consider the fact that AZM is now a very very good wrestler so he was totally wrong!

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

jesus WEP posted:

I like Yuka more after reading this review

the best part is all but one of the spots being complained about happened in one match that you can see here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rBcK6tXmuk&t

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Davros1 posted:

I love how, in their minds, there's no way for Miro to be a gamer AND a brute. Nope, it has to be one or the other. Can't have any depth at all!

The biggest poo poo head, overly aggro guys I've ever met have all been really into at least one video game. Usually whatever the hot military thing is. A lot of them also work out a lot. So Miro being a big, roid rage rear end in a top hat and also loving COD seems very natural and normal to me.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I think gaming is such a mainstream hobbies these days I'm not surprised when anyone is into it. I mean Ellen and Conan O'brien, 2 of the biggest boomer entertainment entities that are still around have both had content centered around video games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I think gaming is such a mainstream hobbies these days I'm not surprised when anyone is into it. I mean Ellen and Conan O'brien, 2 of the biggest boomer entertainment entities that are still around have both had content centered around video games.

Isn't Conan more gen x?