Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Rimusutera posted:

About two days in game time in, I legitimately broke down crying IRL a bit after back to back talking to the old anti-communist vet and his friend after inquiring about the meaning of the flowers from the hotel roof, followed by talking to the Dice maker about the curse and unlocking the lines about the nature of roleplaying games and why people play them

Everyone hypes up the disaster cop dark comedy stuff and its hilarious but the moments of this game's writing also shine through in these really poignant, poetic ways and its loving beautiful. Gaming narrative is down hill from here.

I think the thing is that they work in tandem. It's the silly moments that get you to let your guard down so the serious ones can hit you harder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Hammer Bro. posted:

Plus all the double-clickin' was givin' me tendonitis

I, after about 35 hours of double clicking to run everywhere, just realised you can hold the mouse button down to run instead.

Drewsky
Dec 29, 2010

You can also turn caps lock on and single click runs.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

If you play the whole game without running anywhere does Kim still ask what's with the running?

Drewsky
Dec 29, 2010

sebzilla posted:

If you play the whole game without running anywhere does Kim still ask what's with the running?

Along these lines are you always an ex gym teacher or does that have to do with the running as well?

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Drewsky posted:

Along these lines are you always an ex gym teacher or does that have to do with the running as well?

sebzilla posted:

Yes, and yes.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
After I got shot in the dick and someone said to take it easy on the running, I tried doing some walking for a bit. That was completely not disco, though.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Good to know about the runnin' but I still think I'll hold out for the enhanced edition.

Got no problem starting Day 1 over and being more aggressively disco.

UltraShame
Nov 6, 2006

Vocabulum.
Is there any confirmation that the Attributes will be voiced?

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

UltraShame posted:

Is there any confirmation that the Attributes will be voiced?
https://twitter.com/studioZAUM/status/1337461826393616385

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
A lot of people seem to assume that the facts of things like the protagonist's backstory and even the identity of the murderer change depending on your choices. I'm not sure where they get that from, but they don't. His backstory in particular is about piecing together parts of a whole, and it's easy to miss a lot.

Is there any particular reason to encourage the kids to open the dance club with or without the drug lab?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Is there any particular reason to encourage the kids to open the dance club with or without the drug lab?

It would hold back the pale from invading the church a little longer.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Xander77 posted:

You need literally 0 points in Shivers to have a 97% chance to pass that check.

Look at that goddamned shameful Harry. Next you will tell me you internalized Wasteland of reality too :barf:

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

Ghost Leviathan posted:

A lot of people seem to assume that the facts of things like the protagonist's backstory and even the identity of the murderer change depending on your choices. I'm not sure where they get that from, but they don't. His backstory in particular is about piecing together parts of a whole, and it's easy to miss a lot.

I think the broad sweep remains the same, but at least HDB's past political leanings are influenced by you choices. The end-game Esprit-de-Corps check where your captain is discussing the upcoming uprising seems to imply this; his reasons for counting Harry as reliable change depending on your political opinions.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Yes. They help with Soona's research if you want to know the answers to that. Also a fun sidequest about helping Egg Head. Worth seeing.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

i like how you're investigating a murder and in the update trailer you're knocking over somebody's jenga tower

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I mean more, do things change significantly if you encourage them to ditch the drug lab and just start the dance club?

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Thinking extremely hard about listening to Inland Empire telling me I'm too sad to jerk off

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I mean more, do things change significantly if you encourage them to ditch the drug lab and just start the dance club?

Answer that is a spoiler Not within the timeframe of the game.
Answer that is endgame spoiler Kim rats them out so either way no drug lab occurs.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
Egghead is one of the highlights of the game for me.

Working class woman quest was another one.

The Pigs was weird and sad.

Having the Klassje convo be fully voiced is going to be nuts.

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!
:black101:

where the red fern gropes posted:

i like how you're investigating a murder and in the update trailer you're knocking over somebody's jenga tower

Also I laughed at the quick jab to Cunos face hahaha. Love the little poo poo but sometimes you just want to crack him ya know.

Claes Oldenburger fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Dec 14, 2020

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

"it's the only language some of these kids understand"

coach du bois must have been one tough customer

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

He's almost certainly talking about himself at that age.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

where the red fern gropes posted:

ohhhh it is going to be so much more than that

I am going to repeat myself because it is one hell of a reference; check the similarity to this:

Tatlin's Tower posted:

Tatlin's Tower, or the project for the Monument to the Third International (1919–20),[1] was a design for a grand monumental building by the Russian artist and architect Vladimir Tatlin, that was never built.[2] It was planned to be erected in Petrograd (now St. Petersburg) after the Bolshevik Revolution of 1917, as the headquarters and monument of the Comintern (the Third International).

Which brings us to...

GOD drat MAZOVIAN SOCIO ECONOMICS posted:

problem: People think Communism was some crazy idea that had its comeuppance 40 years ago. A fever that shook the world, never to return again. They were right. Until *he* woke up today – a spiritual corpse responsive only to the call of Commodore Red, prostitutes, and Kras Mazov. For him, Communism is still a *thing*. He will single-handedly raise the Commune of '02 from the oceanic trench where it has been resting, covered in ghosts and seaweed! He is the Big Communism Builder. Come, witness his attempt to rebuild Communism in the year '51!

solution: 0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a poo poo-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. He is starting to suspect Kras Mazov *hosed him over* personally with his socio-economic theory. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.

commies thinking that they got brutally owned by Rhetoric? OH NOOO, let's improve this: what about a spiritual vision quest like as a communist shaman to deal with the failure of a new world to be and your own personal loss?

*laughs in eastern european*

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!
:black101:

dead gay comedy forums posted:

ohhhh it is going to be so much more than that

I am going to repeat myself because it is one hell of a reference; check the similarity to this:

Which brings us to...

commies thinking that they got brutally owned by Rhetoric? OH NOOO, let's improve this: what about a spiritual vision quest like as a communist shaman to deal with the failure of a new world to be and your own personal loss?

*laughs in eastern european*

holy poo poo :aaaaa:

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

gonna be RPGOTY two years in a row

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Doc Hawkins posted:

gonna be RPGOTY two years in a row

Noted consecutive numbers 2019 and 2021

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

It works out if you pretend 2020 just never happened.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

game of the year THREE years in a row i dont give a gently caress

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
It won game of the year from Apple this year

Lightningproof
Feb 23, 2011

A game explicitly inspired by Marx and Engels winning GOTY from the most valuable corporation on earth is what Vladimir Lenin would have termed "a big lol".

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Dear Watson posted:

It won game of the year from Apple this year

lol it really did

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Lightningproof posted:

A game explicitly inspired by Marx and Engels winning GOTY from the most valuable corporation on earth is what Vladimir Lenin would have termed "a big lol".

they'll sell you the rope to hang them with

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
"wtf i nearly killed myself trying to pull a tie off a fan
the gently caress
i know this man is trash already but wtf"

I lent my copy to my friend to try out and she's just begun. Her first message to me. GOTY all years.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
Funny, I've been on tenterhooks to see one of my favourite streamers try this, but now I'm gonna hafta wait some more instead (and replay around the same time, too).

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

yeah anyone thinking about playing for the first time hold your horses for the final cut

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

If the voice acting is as good as what was in the base game, you'll be in for a treat.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
I'm having fun with the base game so I'll just keep playing it, and then spec differently on replay when the expac comes out I think. It's meant to have good replay value just by itself if you do things differently, right?

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy
I'm actually not that stoked on full voice acting. It was really drawn out and annoying during the Limbic/Reptilian segments, and I appreciated that everywhere else, it's just enough for character flavor while still allowing you to read for yourself. A lot of stuff that's really funny or impactful when you read it isn't that funny when someone says it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Brosnan posted:

I'm actually not that stoked on full voice acting. It was really drawn out and annoying during the Limbic/Reptilian segments, and I appreciated that everywhere else, it's just enough for character flavor while still allowing you to read for yourself. A lot of stuff that's really funny or impactful when you read it isn't that funny when someone says it.

I just read and skip through before they finish talking unless the performance is really good in games.