Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Astaldo
Jan 4, 2015

xXxGangsterNinjaAssassinxXx

Also looking to pick up this game again to grind trials and burn out, could you link me a new Discord invite?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

Astaldo posted:

Also looking to pick up this game again to grind trials and burn out, could you link me a new Discord invite?

https://discord.gg/UTU78T

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

frodnonnag posted:

Private servers for xi are peak terrible. Don't drag people into that void.

This.

Astaldo
Jan 4, 2015

xXxGangsterNinjaAssassinxXx

Thank you sir.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLYPwrW1Bj0rxCdXmMuP-ITJph9GXvSIZ0

I put the music from my GB game up on YouTube just in case you hate your ears.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
hell yeah

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
A friend convinced me to re-sub after ten years away. Fast travel? Solo exp? Is this the right game?

Oh well time to get seven jobs from 75-99

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

New FFXI merch!

Kazy fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Nov 10, 2020

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Bregor posted:

A friend convinced me to re-sub after ten years away. Fast travel? Solo exp? Is this the right game?

Oh well time to get seven jobs from 75-99

that will take you like 2 weeks if you are lazy.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

frodnonnag posted:

that will take you like 2 weeks if you are lazy.

Imagine my surprise when I trade a login reward key to a goblin and get Usukane body. I worked my rear end off for Ares body eleven years ago and now it’s a drat lootbox drop haha.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.

That would make a great gift... but that's too much money.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Classic ffxi was camping HNMs for 3 hours every 2-3 days against other link shells and accusing eachother of claim botting. Then when you nabbed Nidhogg another ls would cure spam your tank and get your whole group spike flailed when it turned to that other person.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Holyshoot posted:

Classic ffxi was camping HNMs for 3 hours every 2-3 days against other link shells and accusing eachother of claim botting. Then when you nabbed Nidhogg another ls would cure spam your tank and get your whole group spike flailed when it turned to that other person.

The name Leaping Lizzy is burned into my memory far more than any of the raid bosses

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Holyshoot posted:

Ah memories. Low-manning Fafhogg as a RDM/NIN tank was fun as hell.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
I'm just glad my server had japanese and american ls that were semi civil to eachother. I've read horror stories of one side or the other holding the hnm claimed and killing it to where it would never show up in their time zone.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
Came back because I have nothing better to do with myself. Do a lot of people actually still play on Asura, or is it just bots all the way down? I almost never see conversation in shout chat or whatever it is they added and whenever I do it's usually smothered by dozens of macros advertising PL services. I've run into maybe a handful of folks actually playing out in the wild and the rest have just been bot parades. Is it like this even on the less-populated servers too? I get that there's a lot of folks sick and tired of playing ffxi normally but man this feels lonelier than a server that's almost empty

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Hivac posted:

Came back because I have nothing better to do with myself. Do a lot of people actually still play on Asura, or is it just bots all the way down? I almost never see conversation in shout chat or whatever it is they added and whenever I do it's usually smothered by dozens of macros advertising PL services. I've run into maybe a handful of folks actually playing out in the wild and the rest have just been bot parades. Is it like this even on the less-populated servers too? I get that there's a lot of folks sick and tired of playing ffxi normally but man this feels lonelier than a server that's almost empty

Most players don't tend to chat in /yell chat for a few reasons. First of all, it's an online video game so any actual conversation quickly gets bogged down by people trolling or saying racist poo poo or whatever. Second, it's the most effective way to gather random people for content or to buy/sell goods/merc services. Finally, most people who want to have a friendly chat probably are already in a (few) linkshell(s), and thus prefer to chat there instead. There are quite a lot of bots on Asura, but there are quite a lot of actual for-realsies players too, you'll just need to be kind of social to find them because they tend to play mostly with the friends they already have. Join up with random groups /yelling for Ambuscade or CP parties other content, and when you find someone who seems friendly enough then ask them if you can join their LS, then you can branch out from there. If nobody's shouting, feel free to start up a group yourself. A lot of LS's also fill in party slots for content over /yell, particularly for Dynamis, and it's often easy to ask for a linkpearl if you didn't completely gently caress things up. It's also worth noting quite a lot of people multi-box nowadays, so if you see one person running along followed identically by like five others, there is often a "real" player leading the group and you can try talking to them if you want. I'm often surprised to find that what I thought was a small group of two friends farming some content I'm also working on turns out to just be one dude multi-boxing when I ask if they want to team up. Most people are pretty accepting of grouping up to help speed up content, as long as you're not completely stepping on each other's toes or something.

I haven't checked out other servers, but from what I understand there ARE less bots on those servers...but there are also fewer players. Yeah there's less merc / PL spamming in /yell, but that's not replaced with players trying to make groups or whatever, there's just nothing being shouted instead.

e: also come join the goon discord and play with the like five of us that are still active on Asura, and bitch about stupid pubbies and buy gil: https://discord.gg/cBkPtUbb

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

Yea I wasn't intending to be grouching it up, it was just really confusing after being gone for only about a year or so (and honestly in retrospect a lot of poo poo I remember in shout convos in 2019 wasn't really exactly great stuff, usually racist poo poo or fun opinions about FFFEEEMALES so I guess in some ways merc shouting is preferable). I'm not really sure where to even look for a decent community so I'll probably drop into discord later

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Hivac posted:

Yea I wasn't intending to be grouching it up, it was just really confusing after being gone for only about a year or so (and honestly in retrospect a lot of poo poo I remember in shout convos in 2019 wasn't really exactly great stuff, usually racist poo poo or fun opinions about FFFEEEMALES so I guess in some ways merc shouting is preferable). I'm not really sure where to even look for a decent community so I'll probably drop into discord later

No worries, it was pretty shocking to me seeing how bot-heavy and merc-heavy things were when I came back after not having played since ~08. The best way to look for a decent community is honestly just through the players themselves. Group up with randos and eventually you'll find cool people, then just ask to join their linkshell. Once you're in there you can meet more people etc. Nowadays you have to make a more concentrated effort to be social, since you can get to endgame pretty handily without ever talking to another player, right up to the point where suddenly you need a reliable group of people to accomplish anything.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

CodfishCartographer posted:

No worries, it was pretty shocking to me seeing how bot-heavy and merc-heavy things were when I came back after not having played since ~08. The best way to look for a decent community is honestly just through the players themselves. Group up with randos and eventually you'll find cool people, then just ask to join their linkshell. Once you're in there you can meet more people etc. Nowadays you have to make a more concentrated effort to be social, since you can get to endgame pretty handily without ever talking to another player, right up to the point where suddenly you need a reliable group of people to accomplish anything.

Yeah, one of the reasons I ended up falling off so hard was hitting lategame adoulin to earlygame escha and struggling really hard on my own with just trusts... I remember asking around for advice and pretty much all I got out of folks was "just rmt gil and get a merc to carry you through reisen lmao" which isn't exactly what I would call very engaging or fulfilling so hopefully I manage to actually find a decent handful of folks to do things with/get some things done beyond flailing around in low end ambuscade before burning out horrendously

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

For what it's worth I recently transferred my second account off of Shiva to Asura (Shiva was where I started all the way back when I first played this game) and there were maybe 1/3rd of the players online that are on Asura at primetime when I logged in beforehand. A lot of servers are probably like this. The main benefit of Asura is the auction house actually being stocked, which is pretty important even if a lot of Asura players are not uh ideal companions.

Edit: Also if you need help getting some entry gear my main is pretty stacked now so I can help you out, since I'm doing a lot poo poo solo to start gearing my alt. Just message me on discord or something.

Kongming fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Dec 15, 2020

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Someone help me farm glavoid for absolutely nothing in return

Bregor
May 31, 2013

I’ve been back on Bahamut for about a month now and have been wondering the same things about bots/rmt. I’m doing tons of content with my one friend (and trusts) but eventually I’m sure I’ll outgrow that and need a decent group/LS to do anything. Or I’ll just quit again :v:

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007
https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxi/comments/kdiokr/sothe_ff11_mobile_game_seems_to_be_cancelled/

Rest in piss, mobile xi, we never knew you.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

It's for the best, Nexon is trash

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

quote:

After Director Sim Gi Hoon got involved, it is known that the gameplay has shifted in the direction of combining the RPG and TCG genre.

lmao

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

That's a real roundabout way to describe what was probably gacha for gear

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

The expected result when one company teams up with another that's more terribly ran than themselves.

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.
New expansion content coming on the way.
http://www.playonline.com/ff11us/resurgence/

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

Kortel posted:

New expansion content coming on the way.
http://www.playonline.com/ff11us/resurgence/

In case anyone's wondering, everything on that site is already in the game. :v:

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.

Kazy posted:

In case anyone's wondering, everything on that site is already in the game. :v:

Part 3 isn't!
Honestly surprised it's getting story content for the last part considering the dev team being tiny.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Returning for the new expansion thing coming out. Couldn't get super in to the game before, but maybe botting will fulfill my mmo grinding itch while also not causing me to flunk this semester. Can someone toss me a discord invite? Latest one is expired.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Robo Reagan posted:

Returning for the new expansion thing coming out. Couldn't get super in to the game before, but maybe botting will fulfill my mmo grinding itch while also not causing me to flunk this semester. Can someone toss me a discord invite? Latest one is expired.

https://discord.gg/N8XPtgcp

Enjoy, friend, come bot with us while wallhacking and buying gil

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

CodfishCartographer posted:

https://discord.gg/N8XPtgcp

Enjoy, friend, come bot with us while wallhacking and buying gil

Sweet, thanks. Should I grab Windower of Ashita? I think those were the two big boys of plugins?

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

Robo Reagan posted:

Sweet, thanks. Should I grab Windower of Ashita? I think those were the two big boys of plugins?

Windower.
Ashita might technically be more powerful, but Windower is easy to use and has less shady devs.

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe
Can I get a discord invite as well (that one expired).

After playing private servers on and off for a few years I finally decided to try retail.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

SerCypher posted:

Can I get a discord invite as well (that one expired).

After playing private servers on and off for a few years I finally decided to try retail.

Heck yes more friends https://discord.gg/Bs2sk826

Grimpond
Dec 24, 2013

Hello hello, I have also recently decided to give 11 a whirl, and would also love a discord invite

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Grimpond posted:

Hello hello, I have also recently decided to give 11 a whirl, and would also love a discord invite

Here you are friend https://discord.gg/NSB2rguF

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe
You know despite what everyone says, this game is still not easy for a fresh player.

A lot of the gateway quests like Limit Breaks and AF gear are very complicated even with Trusts.

I had to level WHM to even have a chance on some... but people helped me with others.