Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Write-in: Ask her whether she wants to a quick end or not. I won't vote for either killing her or walking away without doing that.

e: Actually, no. It's close. I'm going to try and glitch it.

pumpinglemma fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Dec 14, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

placid saviour
Apr 6, 2009
Poor thing. Let's not make anyone suffer unnecessarily. That alone is a rejection of the Tyrant.

Tritikail
Dec 15, 2009
This has been a hell of a trip to binge in an afternoon, love everything so far.

The fun side affect of binging the thread is I can answer the question that popped up on... page 10? I think?

quote:

(what was the witch's name what did she say? I miss her I miss you)

No idea if we're past the point where remembering her name was Bella will do anything for us, but hey, maybe it'll do something now?

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

[It was one of the first of never ending decisions that had no clear winner. It's what the game was built around, foundationally- stress and sacrifice. Even having a good idea of the consequences of a choice thanks to the Blue Book was rarely enough to make it simple. Some choices had effects that haven't even been seen yet, because nobody had managed to get far enough to find out.]

[Alt-F8 tapping is its usual comfort when trying to make a hard choice. Killing Momma Fireswamp was a powerful benefit with a LOT of downsides. Leaving her though was only contributing to the quiet ticking clock that was terminal corruption. Had to decide. The screen flashes with each Alt-F8 tap, blacking out before redrawing the ascii symbols. The grays of the dead swamp tiles, the red of Momma Fireswamp's grove, the black of the @ that was halfway past into the choice dialogue box.]

[...?! There it was. The @ had moved, steadily upwards across the screen. Every time Alt-F8 was hit, the @ redrew a single pixel higher. Mashing it quickly show it traveling steadily up off the screen, to the border leave-zone. There'd been talk of bugs like these, here and there. Maybe-]

[The @ was in the offmap border. Now it was as simple as hitting the escape key to try to back out of the choice, which in cases like these would reforce the choice to come up. But if another command was attempted before the box came back up, like trying to move, or using inventory, then...]

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

[Well, there's good news. Bad news. Worse news.]

[Good; off the screen. No softlock. Out onto the world map, like it usually does when the choice is made. Only, no choice had been made. The dialogue box was gone. The quest was marked complete, but there was no bonus item rewarded for either choice. That was part of the Bad. There were signs of all three choices having been made. That is, the map as it was before, the map if the witch was killed, and the map if she wasn't.]

[That was all fine. The not-fine was the worse. It was midnight on the map clock. It was the killing hours. There was no choice but to try to reach the Holy Land before dawn. Lowish on health and energy, but there was the bonus Momma Fireswamp conveys when talked to, whether death or spared. That'd be enough to make this possible.]

[+5 HP!]
[+5 FP!]
HP: [ 14 / 20 ]
FP: [ 10 / 14 ]

...LOADING

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

Black August posted:

...LOADING

:ohdear:

placid saviour
Apr 6, 2009
Oh gently caress

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

Ah. Well, I can't say I'm entirely surprised that something bad has happened from a tie, but rather at the considerable danger resulting from it.
Wonder how we're going to get out of this one. :shepface:

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

With my considerable Minecraft experience I suggest we dig a hole and hide in it until morning.

Random_Username
Jan 1, 2013
Considering what we’ve been dealing with in daylight hours, I don’t even know what to expect from night time. I already forgot, can our fire hand act as light?

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

HP: [ 14 / 20 ]
FP: [ 10 / 14 ]

TYRANNY: [ X ][ X ][ X ][ X ][ X ][ X ][70%]

I-

It's dark.

I have to- wait, when? The swamp witch was asleep and I was going to stab but I had murdered someone so I didn't need to kill anyone and I left walking towards the mountain wall and now I'm out where I came in and it's so dark. What's happening?

I'm- no. I won't be panicked.

(!Midnight - Focusing) 19 - [2]+[5]+[3] = 10 - Success.
[-1 HP]

I raise my fist, face pressed to it as I breathe. I've been driven to walk for nearly a day now. I have to keep my focus. Get to safety, get to shelter. I remember that when I walk with this crown, I stood tallest at this hour, when the Sun was furthest away. I'd get through to the end - I just have to remember the way back. Don't get lost.

(Perception) 13 - [1]+[1]+[4] = 6 - Success!

OST: Eldest Night

Easy. I know the best route back. The density of the shadows in this hour made my sight sharpest, giving me the confidence to find the shortest and least exposed distances to take. That wouldn't stop all of the predators out roaming, but it would deter the worst. Just another night of moving through the streets past the patrols, right? Across miles and miles to outrace the traitorous light.

(Stealth) 11 - [6]+[2]+[4] = 12 - Failure [By One].

I become careless in the last stretch between the swamp and the river crossing, and walk too far out into the open where my profile was obvious against the treeline. It was racing over to me with gnash-clacking teeth ready to grind my marrow raw. I'm open to the attempt. I have a lot of unpleasant energy I want out of me.

Midnight Fight posted:

It's been waiting every night since it first smelt you, and it finally has a chance to taste.

I go first.

I keep my eyes closed to feel the weight of its clumsy enormity, and move to strike deathblind.

(!Tyranny) 17(-4) - [3]+[1]+[6] = 10 - Success.
[Tech: Blade Majestueux] [-1 FP]
[Maneuver: Mighty Strike] [-1 FP]

18 damage.

I heave the red-glown blade, carving a heavy chunk off the heavy-breathing stalker. It leans in to show its affection.

(Grindbite) 12(-2) - [5]+[6]+[4] = 15 - Failure.

But I duck out of the way, feeling wet heat exhale past my neck. Ultrablue grass is slick under my shoes. I step and give it another swing, but without the tiring effort of my killing arts.

(!Tyranny) 17(-4) - [6]+[3]+[4] = 13 - Success.

A near-miss, but it sways instead of swerves, and the concrete arcs off another clean section of muscle.

12 damage.

Waiting In The Dark charges past, escaping into the night! It hopes you stay out late again soon...

I raise a red fist to an empty Heaven.

Victory.

HP: [ 13 / 20 ]
FP: [ 8 / 14 ]

I almost chase after, so worked up that I throw rocks and grass after its retreating mass. But I had to keep walking - halfway wouldn't be enough to beat the dawn. The tower of scaffolding menaces in the pitch black, the water underneath betraying my hearing. I'd have to move especially careful, or I'd attract attention again, maybe fall into the river. I ascend the dead wood, and enter the crossing.

(Stealth) 11 - [5]+[4]+[3] = 12 - Failure [By One].

My light frame dances over the noisy wood with ease, as I use the riversound to cover my motions. Graceful and unseen... at least, until I stub my toe so hard I shout out loud in anger. I slam my hand on a rail in frustration, as they climb up towards me from beneath.

Event Log posted:

Oh soft, that pleasant bubbly ribbiting. They were immature still, no longer tadpoles, but still small. Elongated in the extreme, slender in webbed hand. Eyes bulging obscene with their size, blank and milky-blue. They wanted to fight over my meat as they let it get soggy and waterlogged. They'd cooperate enough to get me to that state.

* Run away immediately.
[!Midnight Check + HT Check][-HP]

* Cast down a wave of gravity, risking the walkway you're on.
[-HP][Luck Check]

* Intentionally destroy the walkway you're on, leaping to safety.
[ST Check + DX Check]

I want them to hurt. BAD. I stand back and raise my sword to a peculiar angle, calming into the sensation of my blood boiling. Let them clump up. Get them really scrambling over each other. Let them hung up on the railing ledge, where they slime and slip over each other at the sight of me. Get the chorus to reach a fever pitch, let just ONE of them heroically near with little webbed hands extended...

Dark Wave
[-7 HP]

I let the weight of the stone work. A gentle sweeping motion - a commandment. Gravity lashes out with invisible hate, a roiling water-wave of tearing celestial force. The wood splinters, metal bends, and their translucent skin rips open as they're pulled into the wave with body-popping force.

(Does The Walkway Hold?) Rndm - [1]+[2]+[3] = 6 - Success.

They fall dead into the waters below, and those who were spared reconsider me as they descend to the fresh corpseraft meal now escaping downstream. The walkway barely shakes from the expert distribution of my fundamental force. I'm coughing blood and squeezing it from under my nails, but my smile is unrelenting. I was confident I could have slain the drainer at the swamp. Not even the horror of the night was enough to slow me.

I'm exhausted again, but wide awake and eager to close the distance to the Holy Land. Nothing left but the constant weave between river and forest borders, trying to stay unexposed, until the goal of the silent woods was found.

(Stealth) 11 - [2]+[5]+[1] = 8 - Success.

I'm forced to go especially careful from my wounds, and it pays off. I limp and struggle through the familiar home stretch, waiting for long periods under the quieter bushes as I listen to the passing of predators on the hunt. I ignore the obscenity of sounds and focus on my breathing, keeping my mind out of the gray for just a little bit longer. I can't afford it. Not before the safety of our room. I have to walk.

I may be hidden well, but what I forgot to count on was the stench of my blood fresh over the ground. I reek with it... which has attracted something that must have migrated from the east swamp. It comes up from one of the last soggy puddles at the west tip of the Flowering Forest, eyes rolling mad with a starvation for something as fresh as me. Snapping and turtle it looked, but much too bulky and sharp, silently charging with drain-sharp beak open wide to sever my leg.

Too loud, and something else would come upon me. Too soft, and I wouldn't have the strength left to kill the thing. I have to improvise, and commit immediately. Just one last blood price for safety. I clench my fist, letting the blood shake from my nails and towards the snapper. It grows manic in its bloodlust, and that's when I reach out, wrench my arm through the black, and grab hold of its spine with the gravity.

(!Midnight) 15 - [2]+[3]+[5] = 10 - Success.
[-3 HP]

There it is. My fist risen and out, the blood peppering the grass beneath us. It WRENCHES its neck against my force, tongue lolled and eyes tearing with the lust for the wet of my veins. It does so until there's a meat-wet tearing sound, and it collapses to the ground, legs kicking. I turn to run, opening my hand before it seizes up from the muscle tensing.

(Health) 14 - [5]+[5]+[2] = 12 - Success.
[-3 FP]

I don't allow my legs to stop. My lungs take me the final distance, as I tear through the trees and trample the lone white flowers. I come out into the midnight field of the Holy Land, sweat drenching my fabrics and blood staining my hands. I'm alive. I'm SAFE. I push past the phantoms and sweep through the shadows, ignoring the sapphire waters of the pond to instead march to the northwest shore, where I collapse to dunk my head into the river, drinking deep. Clean water. Safe water. MY water. I laugh long enough to let it sink in, delirious in the darkness. It cost a lot to achieve, but it was over with, and the road to the north was now open.

HP: [ 3 / 20 ]
FP: [ 5 / 14 ]

I sit back and stare at the river, rubbing my hands clean. Not long until dawn. I just had to walk us to the Hideout, and the dire day would be done. It would be...

...her, there, just across from you down the shore...

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

you should have left Let's Play open for public view, Lowtax
Hot drat, we survived the night! Just barely!

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 204 days!
now we just have to deal with smeircia, always a pleasure

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Yes, I am also eagerly looking forward to a great meeting with our benefactor Smeircia who we are doing our utmost to fulfill our obligation towards, and I'm definitely not posting this because she can probably read our mind

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

Oh. Joy. Has it been a week already?
Time to get throttled within an inch of our life I suppose.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 204 days!
the real danger is to the tyrant's ego, dealing with hunter was bad enough without being tormented by another lvl99 granny who thinks its intent is funny

might get some insight into her from its unique perspective though. the tyrant probably follows modified shonen rules "pattern vegeta" where being humiliated spurs growth as well so there's that.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

OST: Tithe

Śmiercią speaks.

"Tyrant Child..."

ANXIETY: [ X ][ X ][ X ][ X ][ X ][ X ][70%]

"End your walk at my side."

You fall over trying to stand, forcing yourself up to move towards her. You can't make any more mistakes. She'll be furious. Already she stands with her back to you, the sycthe turned to gleam in the dark.

When you reach her, you can't stop yourself from sinking to your knees in the sand. You feel the weakened beat of your frightened heart. You stay there for a long time, the approaching dawn prickling your dripping-sweaty neck as you keep silent.

"It's been one week."

You're struggling to not pass out from tension, but her words shock you back awake. You swallow at the statement, shame boiling your unfed bowels. She's angry. She's not pleased. She's going to punish you.

"Already you show strength, but it lacks the refinement, of a Lordly trial."

You don't dare look her in the rot of her sockets as she examines your progress. The scythe comes down, the tip dragged through the sand to form a circle around you, the sharpness much too near.

"Three. Chances."

She's leans down to speak in your ear, the scythe blade turned to reflect your face back at you. Don't look. Don't see. Don't flinch. Her tone is more curious than accusatory, but it still carries the weight of disappointment.

"I look at the tresses of your soul, and see the colours of those Lords, having passed within the reach of your murderous intent. How, why, or where, I wonder? Did you even know? This is the threat of your enemy. This is why you will always be vigilant."

The flat of the scythe comes so close it drapes with your hair, as you take in what she's told you. You could had killed a Lord three times in the past week? How? But before you can think it over, the scythe is YANKED away, making you flinch as Śmiercią rises up to return to walking around you.

"A week, and this much you've already neglected for my labours, that many payments missed for my tithe."

Your bowels twist so hard you bite your lip to stay still. One eye won't stay open, a tic making it flutter close and sting so bad you fear you'll start crying. You know you deserve this, all of it, but you're praying for it to end soon. But it's not going to. Śmiercią walks in the other direction, tracing lines out from the circle, making demands.

"Since you've failed to bring me a Lordly soul, then I'll burden you with a stone more, and make you find for me in your walks a suitable dedication to lay at the stone of my daughter's grave."

Your hands dig into the sand as she darts down to bare her teeth in your face.

"IT IS THE LEAST YOU COULD DO FOR HER."

You nod your head with eyes clenched shut, blood filling your throat from where you shred the inside of your mouth to keep silence. Oh, it was there again. That awful certainty. Certain you've done nothing wrong. Certain you've done something unforgivable. You feel your muscles tense up so hard they audibly crinkle, promising days of soreness. She lingers with her teeth grinding in your ear, before stepping back to walk out into the waters. The robe floats halo around her as she wades, the scythe gently skimmed over the surface.

"...word passes by me, as I listen to the headstones, and I see how close they come to me in the shine of my sickle - secrets of the Lorded lands. Mysteries that suit me to share, to hear your brain turn, and your heart try harder to outrun me."

She points at you, and gestures to the black sky.

"I'll let you have your ask, so spend it in wisdom!"

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

PLAYER CHOICE
Śmiercią hates your lack of progress, and has given you another demand to fulfill - something of significance to lay at her daughter's grave. But in exchange, she is feeling lenient enough to share knowledge-

What cult will you ask to know about?

Black August fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Dec 17, 2020

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 204 days!
i think the congregation is bleeder's cult. he's the weakest and maybe if we had attacked on the spot the dryads would have turned on him?

e: asking about red or blue's cults might wise us up a bit. i really don't want to go after them until we have to, to give us time to figure poo poo out. maybe you can steal a lord soul or something and leave an ordinary badass behind. but it might clue us in a little.

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Dec 17, 2020

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

I think it was mentioned somewhere that the Blackwings are an artificial cult that The Hunter basically set up, rather than an actual group who share her ideology and worship her.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 204 days!
they've been called an "artificial cult" but i'm not sure if there's much more info on what that entails. i can't help but think of drones.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I threw in for the Congregation. If they are Bleeder's cult, we know that we have something that hurts them in... that symbol move, and they are the most imminent threat to our hideout. Sure, Hunter can come for us in our dreams, but Bleeder is messing with our water supply. We know we will probably lose in a straight fight against Hunter, we're BFFs with Dancer and Burner, and we know that the other two "Head Lords" are both insanely powerful and insanely insane.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 204 days!
the remaining choice of the lower four is the musers, and besides not seeming terribly malevolent their lord is named "hider" and we probably don't want to start looking for a prophet who wants to avoid us if we're looking to get something done

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
Ah, so that was Bleeder we encountered. This is more obvious in retrospect, given the past update where their hell art was listed as "marrow cannon". They're also cited as being a "frequent run ender," so maybe it's for the best that we didn't try to fight.

So far though, the only faction & Lord that is unequivocally "hostile" toward us is Hunter, so I vote we learn more about the blackwings. Amusingly, even Deimos is still semi-neutral despite us bullying him repeatedly.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Hey, are vote results not showing up for anyone else either? The votes all show a count of 0.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Black August posted:

Hey, are vote results not showing up for anyone else either? The votes all show a count of 0.

Same here, weird.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

I thought it was just me.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Huh. Let me redo the poll. Gimme 5.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Post edited - here's the new link. Hopefully it works.

https://www.strawpoll.me/42300234

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

Still doesn't work for me. Maybe the site isn't working?

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
The poll is also bugged? Very immersive.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Well poo poo. A quick test poll, I vote, and nothing shows so yeah something is up with the site itself. Not sure if I should wait or just take a general post-your-choice here.

EDIT: Actually let's just play it safe, and I'll ask for those interested to post their choice in the thread until the issue is resolved.

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

Let's learn more about The Blackwings.

Stoner Sloth
Apr 2, 2019

loving love Fiona Apple posted:

devildragon777
May 17, 2014

They'd be a lot more scary if they were more than an inch tall each.

I'll throw in a vote for the Backup, but I feel like we should go in the spirit if this and make the 0 votes some sort of Anxiety glitch :D

...I wonder if Smiercia has a cult?

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

All living things are Śmiercią's cult. :)

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

so how did death have a daughter? was she not originally the personification of death, but is rather the 8th lord, and the thing that wounded her was death, aka her daughter's death? or was her daughter adopted? these are just idle ramblings i suppose.

Anyway, I'm gonna say the Rustloved.

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

Thought something was up with the strawpoll. Voted Backup there, voting the same here.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

loving love Fiona Apple posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Quest Log posted:

River Run Red
'Find out what's going on with the unclean swamp of the valley east.'

During this Quest...

* You walked east to delve into the Red.
* You ran into Merkja and Deimos.
* You encountered Momma Fireswamp.
* You encountered Bleeder, the Seventh Lord.
* You turned the tide to allow Merkja to escape.
* You kept up your intimidation of Deimos.
* You missed a special token.
* You learned a Fire Prayer.
* You burned out The Silver Mind...
* You avoided corruption.
* You survived being outside at night!
* You exerted your Tyranny for the longest time yet. [16h]
* You made the choice to ̻̦̼͎̲ Momma Fireswamp.
* Bleeder is Neutral / Hateful of you.
* The Congregation is Neutral towards you.
* Your waterOPENXMerror1109

All Considered - You're Mostly Alive, And You're Having A Breakdown
[++Disquiet]

Clarity on the nature of hybrid relationships: Merkja & Deimos are listed as Neutral / Hostile. The Backup Cult is Neutral / Random. Bleeder is Neutral / Hated. This ties to actions taken during the first impressions. Neutral / Hostile means that when they run across you, they will not be immediately hostile towards you. But based on their impressions of you, they WILL turn hostile at first excuse. Or will turn hateful, in Bleeder's case. The Backup are a special case. They start Neutral, but each Backup is unique, and may decide to change their individual opinion of you.