Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

dogsicle posted:

the only part about ore farming i find super tedious is Stormterror's Domain, since they decided the crystal ore there should come in singles all spread the gently caress out. i clear that area maybe once a week while basically every other source of 72hr ore is tied to a Mystic vein or fits into Liyue's ore "route"

I just don't do this any more because it isn't fun and I have other poo poo I could be doing after I spend 15 minutes gathering ore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

one more for the goblet flex pile

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Kild posted:

one more for the goblet flex pile

I have a crit rate/dmg geo goblet in that set for Ning but I'm too poor to get it past 16

Mr Snips
Jan 9, 2009

I've only got one artifact with both crit rate and crit dmg as substats so far, on a crimson witch hourglass that's going to stay on Xiangling forever since its main stat is energy recharge. Seems a bit of a waste on a support but oh well that's the RNG for you

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My current best goblet, I guess.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
the dungeon/enemy mechanics in this game are loving garbage

what's happening here is that the electro slimes are triggering superconduct on the cryo slime, which does a ton of damage because of the abyss floor buff, but doesn't hurt the cryo slime because it's immune to cryo. it does hurt me though, from like 5 meters away, because of course it does. you'd think knocking enemies into each other to cause reactions would be a clever and fun use of mechanics, but no, it just fucks you over with very little feedback about what is actually going on.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Dec 14, 2020

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
:eyepop:
Some nice lookin cups up in here.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I think about this cup a few times a day. What could have been.

At least my Tart is tanky.

vandiar
Jul 19, 2004

Here's some hot cups for you all. Pyro is hogging all the spotlight though and is refusing to allow me any other good elemental cups :argh:

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
do you guys feed your lovely gold artifacts to better artifacts? I can't seem to bring myself to let go of any of my dozens of defense%/defense%/flat defense/EM gold artis, but it's getting ridiculous

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Soothing Vapors posted:

do you guys feed your lovely gold artifacts to better artifacts? I can't seem to bring myself to let go of any of my dozens of defense%/defense%/flat defense/EM gold artis, but it's getting ridiculous

yes

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
I yeeted a bunch of golds into a decent 5 star cause you can only have so many def% gladiator helmets

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Yes. I'm still a total gold hog and keep a ton of speculative garbage. But I still probably end up feeding half or more of my 5* artis. The more you get the more you feel safe feeding - when you have two better feathers it's easy to feed the third.

I really have trouble getting rid of fed artifacts tho. Like this feather:

I don't want to get rid of it because it's pretty ok, but I have no one to carry it atm (they have better feathers) and there won't be new pyros released for months.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Dec 15, 2020

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Soothing Vapors posted:

I definitely do. I get gold ones at a quick enough rate I don't really care about ditching some lovely Wanderer's set 5*. It'd be one thing if getting 5*s was itself up to chance, but you can reliably farm multiple each day if you want.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Soothing Vapors posted:

Absolutely. I lock anything that seems remotely decent with a good mainstat and blender the rest.

AParadox
Jan 7, 2012

TheFluff posted:

the dungeon/enemy mechanics in this game are loving garbage

what's happening here is that the electro slimes are triggering superconduct on the cryo slime, which does a ton of damage because of the abyss floor buff, but doesn't hurt the cryo slime because it's immune to cryo. it does hurt me though, from like 5 meters away, because of course it does. you'd think knocking enemies into each other to cause reactions would be a clever and fun use of mechanics, but no, it just fucks you over with very little feedback about what is actually going on.

I've seen this happen very often with the fat electro slimes + slimes of any other elements, but it has to be a bug, right? The is no good reason for the electro slime to proc anything on any other enemy, and its not consistent either. Sometimes venti burst with slimes become a ball of death that can snipe a 15K hp character in a blink of an eye but usually nothing strange happens.

End boss Of SGaG*
Aug 9, 2000
I REPORT EVERY POST I READ!
The giant ice tornado hitting the electro slimes is the main problem I would say.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I think it's a special case involving the yellow and the purple being near each other (visually indicated by the big thunder circle that appears above them). It certainly should be in a tooltip, I've fought them a hundred times and didn't realize it applied electro to nearby enemies.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

End boss Of SGaG* posted:

The giant ice tornado hitting the electro slimes is the main problem I would say.

They'll do the same thing if you just lead the cryo slime next to the electro slimes.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Welp, add Qiqi to the list of things I've gotten before Chongyun C1. It was 9 pulls after C2 Zhongli, though, so I'm not mad. Hopefully I don't hit pity before that elusive constellation so I can get a guaranteed Geotwink.

To add to the artifact-measuring contest:

Honorable mentions:

kater
Nov 16, 2010

All electricity zaps the environment. This is taught Lisa’s domain. You get zapped by the lightning crystals. Just going near elec slimes will hit you. Also they like to massively charge when together.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Ashenai posted:

That's true! Maybe I'm just feeling insecure about not maxing out my own ores every day (it sounds like an awful slog).

Not only is it an awful slog but it's also not needed for literally any content in the game other than trying to max out your stars in spiral abyss.

There are some people where this is the only game they play and they're happy to spend an extra 1-2 hours every day hoovering up crystal ore and trash artifacts. But if you don't feel the need to put in all that grinding you will never be that far behind them, and you'll probably be having more fun.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I’m a big fan of pressing f, I like doing artifacts when I can, but a strict 24 hr respawn is butts.

And also maxing 8 5* back at like adventure level 41 and not getting a new book broke me.

AParadox
Jan 7, 2012

No Wave posted:

I think it's a special case involving the yellow and the purple being near each other (visually indicated by the big thunder circle that appears above them). It certainly should be in a tooltip, I've fought them a hundred times and didn't realize it applied electro to nearby enemies.

A lone purple slime can already proc elements from other enemies, it can do a barely visible attack every few seconds that hits you and procs electro on everything around it.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
These artifacts with perfect stats and on set bonuses like noblesse cup hydro are literally more exciting than 5 stars to me, lol. At least at this point.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

hydro noblesse...crit% noblesse, EM witch sands... these are the holy grails i will never get

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

dogsicle posted:

hydro noblesse...crit% noblesse, EM witch sands... these are the holy grails i will never get

My Hydro Noblesse cup was my AR reward...

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

The law protects no one unless it binds everyone, binds no one unless it protects everyone.

kater posted:

And also maxing 8 5* back at like adventure level 41 and not getting a new book broke me.

Same, same.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I leveled Traveller to 80 today, blowing 2/3 of my XP books in the process (mostly because I want to be able to use Geo Traveler with Zhongli). I figure that's also a decent long-term investment, since they're essentially the equivalent of multiple characters.

Tsyni posted:

These artifacts with perfect stats and on set bonuses like noblesse cup hydro are literally more exciting than 5 stars to me, lol. At least at this point.

Yeah, definitely. Artifacts also have a far more dramatic impact on performance than gacha acquisitions relative to other gacha games I've played. Any character can be really strong with good artifacts (plus a decent F2P weapon choice), and even the best 5* character will be weak if you don't have good artifacts for them and invest in said artifacts. Artifacts having zero relationship to real money (aside from some weirdo spending money for resin) acts as a big equalizer.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Some Numbers posted:

My Hydro Noblesse cup was my AR reward...

My Geo Noblesse cup was mine!

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

S.J. posted:

My Geo Noblesse cup was mine!

Me too! It's what spurred me to level Ning so I owe it a lot.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

I had this cursedly rolled thing as an AR reward.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!
I've got a few decent goblets at this point.

FatassBrian69
Feb 15, 2012
Did someone say goblet flex?

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Ytlaya posted:

Yeah, definitely. Artifacts also have a far more dramatic impact on performance than gacha acquisitions relative to other gacha games I've played. Any character can be really strong with good artifacts (plus a decent F2P weapon choice), and even the best 5* character will be weak if you don't have good artifacts for them and invest in said artifacts. Artifacts having zero relationship to real money (aside from some weirdo spending money for resin) acts as a big equalizer.
It's not really an "equalizer" because it's random and thus inherently unfair. You can sit down and say "I'm going to farm a Geo set for my Ningguang" and literally never get a usable Petra piece, and some guy running Guyun to help a friend with no Geo characters could get a perfect Geo% goblet with ideal substats on their first go. Other forms of progression are grindy bullshit, but at least they're not grindy bullshit that's also wildly random on multiple levels, which makes it impossible to plan for how much resin it'll take for what you need (there is also some evidence to suggest it's weighted to give a lovely substat at a higher probability). I'd have to farm the Oceanid an unfortunate number of times if I wanted to max out Xingqiu, but at least I could calculate the maximum number of times I'd have to fight it to accomplish that; I have no way of knowing how much resin I'd have to flush down the toilet of the new domain to get good Hydro set pieces for him and Tartaglia. It's equal only in the sense that this godawful design could potentially gently caress over anyone, but even then it's not really because the people whaling resin refreshes will get more bites at the apple and more chances to hit the rarer drops or better substats, plus having more exp fodder to level the good pieces. It's still advantageous to the spenders, you just might luck out and walk away with a mostly perfect set in under a thousand resin (but you also might drop months of resin into one domain and never get the piece you want, ever).

I know why it's like this (it's the only content they have for endgame players) but it's indefensible. There is nothing fun about getting a Crit hat and finding out it has three flat stats on it (which mercifully hasn't happened to me, because I never get Crit hats anyway). It doesn't even work as artificial padding, because of the chance of lucking out. There is a 100% chance they will eventually introduce some kind of customization system for artifacts to give people more control over substats and maybe even mainstats, but it's only going to come when they need it to entice people to come back or stay (or they introduce some other bullshit progression trap).

For everyone's sanity, use any great pieces you get but don't chase perfect ones unless you have done literally everything else you can do to advance a character. "Good enough" is fine; I never got a crit-related Crimson Witch hat for Diluc so I just used an ATK% hat that has a tiny bit of Crit Rate on it and it wasn't worth grinding that domain over doing anything that gives actual tangible progression for other people on my teams. I've done the numbers, I know ideal or perfect artifacts are a massive power spike over just good +16-20 mainstats, but actually trying to get them is a ludicrously inefficient venture and you'll clear the hardest content currently in the game with decent stuff on moderately well-leveled and properly-skilled characters.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Nakar posted:

It's not really an "equalizer" because it's random and thus inherently unfair. You can sit down and say "I'm going to farm a Geo set for my Ningguang" and literally never get a usable Petra piece,

The odds of literally never getting a usable piece of anything is, uh... quite some hyperbole

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

TheFluff posted:

They'll do the same thing if you just lead the cryo slime next to the electro slimes.

There are couple of routes to tackle this problem.

1. Don't use the anemo traveler's ultimate to group them together.

2. If you ignore (1), you need a shield or a heal in order to trade off damage, and then a big DPS

AParadox posted:

I've seen this happen very often with the fat electro slimes + slimes of any other elements, but it has to be a bug, right? The is no good reason for the electro slime to proc anything on any other enemy, and its not consistent either. Sometimes venti burst with slimes become a ball of death that can snipe a 15K hp character in a blink of an eye but usually nothing strange happens.

It's has been a thing since October at least. A F2P player just face tanks the damage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njNioz4JaSw

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Flair posted:

There are couple of routes to tackle this problem.

1. Don't use the anemo traveler's ultimate to group them together.

2. If you ignore (1), you need a shield or a heal in order to trade off damage, and then a big DPS

I have beaten this floor. It's not even particularly difficult once you have the appropriate level of gear, just tedious. What I'm complaining about is how this is terrible loving game design. The same problem (strong AoE damage with basically no tell, or near-unavoidable AoE damage in general) exists in many other places as well, like the snow cloud attack cryo abyss mages do and the loving homing fireball aura, but this was particularly obnoxious since there's absolutely no visual indication about what's even going on at all. It's really not hard to get this hit right - give the player a tell and a skill-based opportunity to avoid the damage and it feels much better even if it's very hard to actually avoid it. It's called player agency. This kind of garbage where it's either "just don't stand there lol" or facetanking is just incredibly tedious to deal with.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Dec 15, 2020

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

S.J. posted:

The odds of literally never getting a usable piece of anything is, uh... quite some hyperbole

Agreed, it's softened so much that this is too much of a statement:

- You only need 4 pieces to a set (sometimes only two and two, which is even easier) and only if you want to minmax you need to search one of two perfect rare ones (either set goblet with dmg or set helmet with crit chance - the other one can be non-set, alleviating the grind quite a bit)
- You have 1-in-10 chance for 5* artifact you want in all current domains and you can get about 8 of them a day, sometimes more. When you're starting, you have 1-in-2 chance for set you want.
- Furthermore you can use 4* temporarily, which are still usable (some of my functioning lvl80s use 4* artifacts), having almost the same stats, keeping most of your XP you use on it and giving the same bonus - and there are so many purples dropping (at AR40 / 45) that after few runs you'd have seen every artifact of the domain in 4* variation
- Two artifact types have fixed main stat, reducing the retries

Of course there could be some person that spent three and a bit days farming (26 artifacts) for Bolide set and dropped only Petras, but statistically, that's like one person from the whole playerbase, assuming ~67M players.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zwiebel
Feb 19, 2011

Hi!
I got a question about the Elemental Mastery stat, since you all seem to be more knowledgable about the game.

So if I understand it correctly, it mostly just increases the damage/effect of elemental reactions.
I assume the damage/effect of this is entirely dependant on the elemental mastery and damage of the character that actively triggers the elemental reaction, like, for example, triggering vaporize with Ambers fire arrow on a character that got wet because of Barbara applying wet with her attack. In this example, Barbaras Elemental Mastery didn't matter, since she wasn't the one triggering the reaction.

Now, to make this more complicated, a Mona puts down her Elemental skill, that causes repeated water damage in an area for a few seconds. Amber shoots fire arrows at this mess.

A) Wet enemies that get hit by fire arrows take damage according to Ambers stats, since she's triggering it. Monas effect or the source of the wet status don't matter for the final damage.
B) Pyro affected enemies that walk into the effect to get hit by Monas skill take bonus damage according to Monas Elemental Mastery, despite the fact that she's not on the field, since it's her skill that triggered the reaction. Amber being around to shoot fire arrows didn't matter aside from setting up the reaction.

Are both of these correct?

Zwiebel fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Dec 15, 2020