Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krakhan
Oct 13, 2005

I see you.
Ya I believe it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
DLC looks sick.

IAmThatIs
Nov 17, 2014

Wasteland Style

Acerbatus posted:

I think the only secrets achievements are
and Thief! Stop! for the Petty Thief cavern event

It’s this one lol after 279 hours

Also I’m really struggling on the 50k cheevo, does anyone have advice? From what I’ve seen, turn one seraph kills seem mandatory

ThermosAquaticus
Nov 9, 2013
Pick the right daily. I got it by killing both Fel and Seraph before the combat phase, so yeah that is valuable. Don't think it has to be literally the first turn though.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
This is on gamepass now for people such as myself who hadn't tried it yet.

I think I might love it. It seems way easier than StS, in part because of how easy it is to thin your deck (which is very cool imo). It took me a couple of runs to get going but then I went 3 in a row with stygia/awoken (which was basically 100% stygia), awoken/hellbois, hellbois/awoken. It will be a while until I unlock the other 2 it seems.

I'm glad higher covenant is now doing things other than polluting my deck.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
There is a public test of the upcoming DLC on Steam starting sometime tomorrow and lasting until Sunday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5WavhFULgY

The list of what's being added:

The Wurmkin Clan, an officially supported sixth clan is being added to Monster Train. The wurmkin have their own number of unique triggers, gameplay mechanics, as well as a full set of cards, hero champion and exiled champion, and unique relics.
1 New Rare Card for each existing Clan
11 New Clanless Artifacts
4 New Clanless Cards
New Concealed Caverns Events
A New Currency Type is being added: Shards. Each ring has a specific node to interact with which will grant you shards, and the node can be accessed by either path
5 New Expert Challenges
10 New Mutators
Additional Unlockable Card Frames
Post-Seraph Super Boss

LostRook fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Jan 8, 2021

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
The public test is up on Steam, so if you own the original game you can try the new DLC free until Sunday.

untzthatshit
Oct 27, 2007

Snit Snitford

Sweeet this is just what's needed to drag me back into another 100 hours of Monster Train

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

The new faction is pretty interesting, I like the new mechanics. It adds another layer of strategy to playing cards. The starting boss is pretty good with the "+X attack for every <infused shard thingy>" path, plays really well with either multiattack or swarms of little creatures.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

LostRook posted:

Post-Seraph Super Boss

sign me the gently caress up :getin:

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Oh dang. It's the heart?

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore
So the monster train dlc is live on the beta branch.

I played a quick 1 cov to get to him, and this guy doesn't mess around. I'm kind of sad that his abilities negate certain styles.

the guy covers all three floors, and attacks them every turn with sweep. In addition, every time a debuff does damage to him he clears it. I brought tethys with a frostbite deck, and that went as well as could be expected. He seems heavily biased towards stacking rows with big beefy physical damage dealers.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah, agreed. He doesn't sweep every floor; he sweeps the top floor, double-hits the center floor, and tramples the bottom floor. Bottom is safest from the boss, but you have less time to react to some of the TRULY nasty enemies. I usually set up on the center. That said, I haven't managed to beat him yet. Wiping all debuffs is really dumb because, as you say, it makes it pretty close to impossible for certain champions to win.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Yikes. So does it look like those are just static attributes, or something that might change run to run in release, like the regular bosses?

I'll probably dive back in to the game once this comes out proper

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

As best I can tell, the final boss only has one version.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Reap feels pretty goddamn insane.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Even more goddamn insane is the alt-champ for the new clan.

One of their path trees begins with "Return one consumed spell to hand after combat" and ends with "Has 100 attack, return 2 Consumed spells to hand after combat." I expect this to get nerfed into the ground because effectively getting two free Endless versions of Consumed spells without wasting a spell slot (or allowing the +20 MP + Consume thing to be more insane) leads to some hilarious combinations. I did a run where I was just tossing out god-nukes every turn to the point I didn't bother recruiting more than two monsters because combat never actually involved anything *attacking*

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wurmkin also have ways to give spells the consume keyword on the fly. I haven't tried that version of the alt champion yet. I did finally beat the superboss with Wurmkin/Horned, with the primary champion giving the whole room +20 attack per charged echo. With a sufficient density of infused spells, you can regularly buff the room to +160-200 or more attack over what they already have, so any multiattacker or horde of small units (like, say, Welder Imps buffing the champion's armor...) let you really chew through enemies fast.

EDIT: That said, Reap is more like a fixed version of Frostbite than anything else. It has a similar function but it only triggers once per combat instead of once per combat round, making it way less useful versus bosses in Relentless mode. It's easier to apply, though, and doesn't decay, so it's great for the three main bosses as long as you can keep your floors stocked with charged echoes.

Zurai fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jan 10, 2021

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I'm having so much trouble wrapping my head around playing the new clan.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
I did a cr1 run and beat the secret boss with a pretty garbage wyrm/horn deck on my first try, but it wouldn't have held up at higher levels. Not being able to directly buff the creatures that hatch seems real rough, though stealing their effects for other clans units seems quite strong.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I was not impressed with the hatching cards but all the other mechanics the wurmkin have seemed real strong

pray for my aunt
Feb 13, 2012

14980c8b8a96fd9e279796a61cf82c9c
Alt hero is very cute and has good sound fx.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

I enjoyed playing around with the wormkin but there is a lot going on with them, between reap, hatching, etch, the crystal mechanic. Fun though. Thought the alt hero was strong but when I tried the hatching varient regretted levelling them up as the egg was switched out for a giant egg that took up more floor space and had 12 shell which was more than I was expecting. Up til that point though if you could get the eggs rolling (as it were) you could have a giant party floor fairly easily.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

All the egg cards are very good, except the alt champion. Any changes you make to the egg is carried over to whatever hatches out of it. That includes upgrades, combinations (the new shove a creature into another creature mechanic) and statistical buffs in a level (hp/atk) but not status effects like stealth, rage, or sap.

The alt champion can't use unit upgrades or combinations, so it's trash. If you want to faceroll, do a run with the +5/10/20 atk per echo primary champion and a multiattack version of the egg that spits out two bog flies. Then duplicate the egg if you can. 4 flies with multiattack and hundreds of extra attack from the champion will annihilate anything.

Smith Comma John
Nov 21, 2007

Human being for president.
you can put Alpha Fiend's atk-per-strike scaling onto Dante, lol

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

Liking the worm spell to just drop 666 damage on someone (almost) no questions asked.
Give that sucker pierce from a temple, the means to inflict magic weakness and/or a way to draw it regularly and you can just delete problem enemies with impunity.
Another fun thing: Keeper of echoes has some synergy with Retch; Keeper of echoes buffs the morsels and the morsels keep the extra attack/hp when Retched.
Buff Morsels, Morscles if you will, can be helpful for squeezing extra damage in wherever you need em; but even with a pile of artifacts it's more a novel way to ensure morsels live long enough to be eaten than anything else.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

I forget how I got it, but there's a way to give Strike: Melee Weakness 1 to your troops now. That was fun to put on a multi-attacker.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Zurai posted:

I forget how I got it, but there's a way to give Strike: Melee Weakness 1 to your troops now. That was fun to put on a multi-attacker.

Wouldn't the second attack just remove the first Melee Weakness and stick a new one on it? Seems like it'd be better on a sweeper or something.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

GodFish posted:

Wouldn't the second attack just remove the first Melee Weakness and stick a new one on it? Seems like it'd be better on a sweeper or something.

Would still mean the second (and subsequent) hits are doing double damage, and the last hit leaves it still with a melee weakness (assuming it didnt die). I see the use case. Would also be good on a sweeper, but depending on your faction multi-hit can be easier to get than sweep.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

Even more goddamn insane is the alt-champ for the new clan.

One of their path trees begins with "Return one consumed spell to hand after combat" and ends with "Has 100 attack, return 2 Consumed spells to hand after combat." I expect this to get nerfed into the ground because effectively getting two free Endless versions of Consumed spells without wasting a spell slot (or allowing the +20 MP + Consume thing to be more insane) leads to some hilarious combinations. I did a run where I was just tossing out god-nukes every turn to the point I didn't bother recruiting more than two monsters because combat never actually involved anything *attacking*

There is also the artifact that creates a copy of the first Consume card you play each round.

Cancelling the downside of Consume is good, but the fact that it puts the copy in your hand felt over-the-top.

I beat the Divine once on Cov25 out of many tries. 3 Bounty Stalkers with 150 attack, Multistrike 2, Quick, and Holdover Remold barely got there.

I am concerned that it feels like he hard counters a ton of things. Purify vs. Frostbite/Reap is obvious, but not having a relentless stage probably rules out Spikes and any Action/Resolve-oriented strategy.

Avasculous fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jan 12, 2021

Lozareth
Jun 11, 2006

Avasculous posted:

There is also the artifact that creates a copy of the first Consume card you play each round.

Cancelling the downside of Consume is good, but the fact that it puts the copy in your hand felt over-the-top.

I beat the Divine once on Cov25 out of many tries. 3 Bounty Stalkers with 150 attack, Multistrike 2, Quick, and Holdover Remold barely got there.

I am concerned that it feels like he hard counters a ton of things. Purify vs. Frostbite/Reap is obvious, but not having a relentless stage probably rules out Spikes and any Action/Resolve-oriented strategy.

It did have a relentless stage. Just takes a ton of waves to get there.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

SiKboy posted:

Would still mean the second (and subsequent) hits are doing double damage, and the last hit leaves it still with a melee weakness (assuming it didnt die). I see the use case. Would also be good on a sweeper, but depending on your faction multi-hit can be easier to get than sweep.

Yes, this. I wasn't playing Awoken or Stygian, so I didn't really have easy access to a sweepers. And yes, the first hit makes the second hit deal double, and the second hit makes the follow-up attack from the next troop deal double damage.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Lozareth posted:

It did have a relentless stage. Just takes a ton of waves to get there.

Oh, really? I figured he just attacked it during the waves until death.

Does he go 1 floor at a time for it?

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

Avasculous posted:

Oh, really? I figured he just attacked it during the waves until death.

Does he go 1 floor at a time for it?

His relentless stage is after 9 waves. Afterwards he first attacks the top floor, then the middle floor, then the bottom floor and finally the pyre.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Started playing this again. I really need to start paying attention to the Seraph preview and building my deck around it because I cannot stress how absolutely demoralizing it is when your deck starts plowing through the last few battles and then gets completely loving wrecked on the final level

On a related note, boy, I really don't like Seraph the Patient

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Patient is easily the hardest variant of Seraph IMO, so don't feel bad about having a hard time with him.

LupusAter
Sep 5, 2011

Patient is the hardest Seraph in the sense that it counters the things that largely work against the other three variants and is in turn weak to stuff that normally doesn't work. Simplest example is that since he deals his damage with a single strike, damage shield goes a long way if you can stack it. That and morsels not triggering his Rally effect so you can plop them in front to eat a hit if needed makes Umbra very suited to deal with him. He also has weak waves to balance the fact that he's attacking every turn, so crowd control is easier.

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

A bit late (the open beta trial ended) but I must say beating that new guy with a shadoweater+multiple shroud spikes (one of the consume hacks thanks to Wurmkin, forgot which version of the champ)+morselmaker+morselmaster+"gorge occurs a second time" relic was pretty satisfying...on Covenant 1.

Thinking "Hey, let's ramp back up to 25" :stonk:

IAmThatIs
Nov 17, 2014

Wasteland Style
Just got 100% achievements! Honestly GOTY 2020 for me. Cannot wait to give them more money lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
Do we know when the new dlc comes out?