Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Ynglaur posted:

Can new ASIS create large groups of mobs? I used to to love running into a couple dozen bandits in Oldrim.

I looked into this recently for my latest install and I don’t think so. Organized Bandits in Skyrim OBIS will add some bandits to spawns in customizable amounts though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I've had pretty mixed results with OBIS. I used to use it just for the increased spawns and bandit variety, which it's very good at, but some of the random spawns were seemingly broken. In general I remember tamed bandit skeevers that were nigh invincible and would nearly one-shot me.

It's been a while and maybe it's not an issue anymore, but it's something that got to me.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Just started modding Skyrim, gone through the guide, installed some recommended mods. Xedit only seems to be for Skyrim extended so I skipped it. No problem I assume.

Start up Skyrim, and the physics on the cart bug out. Horses stays in place, and the carts are tethered to their backs, so they just shake like nunchucks every time they go over a rock. Prisoners are stuck on their seats, glancing nervously at each other. All I can do is look around as the cart goes sideways, upside down, violently bucking up and down. Nearly become travel sick watching this spectacle. Once I get off the carts things seem normal (for now).

10/10 gonna pile on some more mods.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Yeah, for some reason the opening scene breaks and goes wonk really easily, even if nothing you've installed should logically have any reason to affect the cart ride.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Bug Squash posted:

Just started modding Skyrim, gone through the guide, installed some recommended mods. Xedit only seems to be for Skyrim extended so I skipped it. No problem I assume.

Start up Skyrim, and the physics on the cart bug out. Horses stays in place, and the carts are tethered to their backs, so they just shake like nunchucks every time they go over a rock. Prisoners are stuck on their seats, glancing nervously at each other. All I can do is look around as the cart goes sideways, upside down, violently bucking up and down. Nearly become travel sick watching this spectacle. Once I get off the carts things seem normal (for now).

10/10 gonna pile on some more mods.

Two possibilities: anything affecting FPS especially FPS over 60 can result in physics errors. There are Skyrim engine fix and Skyrim display fix mods for this.

Second, the Helgen Reborn mod changes pathfinding around Helgen for obvious reasons and can mess up the intro, recommended to start it after the initial intro for that reason.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

The Skyrim cart ride is the entire game experience writ small; impressive when it works, prone to bugging the gently caress out for any reason or none at all.

My general advice here is to install an alternate start mod.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

docbeard posted:

The Skyrim cart ride is the entire game experience writ small; impressive when it works, prone to bugging the gently caress out for any reason or none at all.

My general advice here is to install an alternate start mod.

There’s also a hilarious cascading bug where if you have SMIM installed, the updated carriage mesh it implements is incompatible with the opening scene, so it sends the cart careening wildly across the sky and you’re helpless to do anything but watch and listen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oa694FM7kFc

The author(s) of SMIM never bothered to fix it, but there is a patch for it specifically up on Nexus. However, it’s something that kind of HAS to be experienced at least once in person though.

Immersive Armors sometimes has funny ways of breaking the intro too. Usually around Tullius, Ulfric and Hadvar. Hadvar’s new armor swapping in tends to send him rocketing into the air or off towards Falkreath of wherever. Tullius and Ulfric just tend to not have their new armors spawn at all. Ralof is the one character who’s consistently safe from all that poo poo for some reason.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Dec 14, 2020

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Basically, if your mod-list doesn't break the intro cart ride, you should install more mods because you clearly don't have enough. :colbert:

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

random encounter horses in my game have spawned 100 ft in the air for 10 years and I don't want it to change

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Rainbow Knight posted:

random encounter horses in my game have spawned 100 ft in the air for 10 years and I don't want it to change

Every time I do "coc riverwood" now, it spawns a cow 100 ft in the air behind the Sleeping Giant and drops it to its death when gravity kicks in.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
You're supposed to enter coc, not cow.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Cardiovorax posted:

You're supposed to enter coc, not cow.

*picard to replicator voice*

COW. RIVERWOOD.

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan
HOT.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
That's halfway to a hamburger already. The game just wants to help you.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
MOOOOOOOOOO*splat*

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Something else that's been happening in recent playthroughs is when I go into that first hut in blackreach with the alchemist guy's skelet inside. For some reason, as soon as i get inside every single falmer and human slave in blackreach starts to pour in. Like, if I kill them all without my game crashing, I can leave the hut and its just a ghost town

really, I don't know why people bother with AAA titles when you can just play skyrim

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

My absolute favorite mod interaction ever is still the times my mind control illusion spells worked so well on bandits that they would write me into their wills, so I would get the courier turning up after a big fight all "SO A BUNCH OF YOUR FRIENDS JUST DIED".

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

docbeard posted:

My absolute favorite mod interaction ever is still the times my mind control illusion spells worked so well on bandits that they would write me into their wills, so I would get the courier turning up after a big fight all "SO A BUNCH OF YOUR FRIENDS JUST DIED".

What spell mods were you using?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I think that could happen just with vanilla Command spells, because they also messed with the relationship level instead of just hard-flipping the affected NPCs to be allied for a while.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Cardiovorax posted:

I think that could happen just with vanilla Command spells, because they also messed with the relationship level instead of just hard-flipping the affected NPCs to be allied for a while.

I didn't think there was a vanilla command spell, there's fear, frenzy and calm in the base game. I don't use calm spells very often, I might try that.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Skwirl posted:

I didn't think there was a vanilla command spell, there's fear, frenzy and calm in the base game. I don't use calm spells very often, I might try that.
No, you're right, now that I think about it there aren't. I must've been thinking about the Calm spells.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

docbeard posted:

I'm just picturing a horde of bandits hurriedly rewriting their wills in the midst of fighting each other now.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
Is there a mod list along the same lines as Viva New Vegas for Skyrim? I’m not looking for visuals or anything just basic bug fixes and maybe some of the more popular changes that don’t go too crazy.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Skwirl posted:

What spell mods were you using?

Apocalypse, for sure, and I think Lost Grimoire. This was back in Oldrim days. And I was definitely using OBIS, possibly some other enemy mods as well, I don't recall precisely any more.

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan
I know that most of the VA work in mods like Interesting NPCs is straight cringe,but I must say that I love Hjoromir, because he IS that nasally nerd farmboy but he LEANS into it and the VA does it well. I must protect this goofus as he hauls my loot!

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Interesting NPCs has some great quests; there was one with its own music and genuinely touching VA and an elaborate conculsion scene with all the characters, all from a random note I found. It even had a little Kirkbride ~deep lore~!

It does hamstring itself though with the way every character must have one (1) wacky quirk to make them memorable, and the way no one is allowed to speak in short sentences.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Also I goddamn hate that one quest about the king whatever, it has the worst ending and I feel dumber for having done it.

I install it anyway because I like many of the characters and quests that AREN'T that one.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I've been using interesting NPCs for ages, but outside of one of the travelling bards I rarely talk to many of them. Some of the bard songs they've added though are kinda nice.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
My load order has 203 mods and nothing's broken except a CTD like one time in ten that I wait and smithing exp isn't working properly from some added recipes.

By my standards, holy poo poo, rousing success.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

DACK FAYDEN posted:

and smithing exp isn't working properly from some added recipes.

Hey, I've had the same issue. The only relevant mods I can tell would be Complete Crafting Overhaul Remastered and SPERG. Sometimes it will work and give me smithing XP, and sometimes I just won't get any, and I can't tell why. Anyone have experience with this?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I've seen certain forges that are mod altered that don't grant exp. Notably with Ars Metallica. Sometimes there are compatibility mods, sometimes there aren't. That's all I got.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So what mods should one use for the Gamepass version? I know the consoles...I think have mods, but I only ever played Skyrim on PC before.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

MazelTovCocktail posted:

So what mods should one use for the Gamepass version? I know the consoles...I think have mods, but I only ever played Skyrim on PC before.

I think all the Enaison mods are on consoles.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Are there any Castle Volkihar mods other than Arthmoor's?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Cantorsdust posted:

Hey, I've had the same issue. The only relevant mods I can tell would be Complete Crafting Overhaul Remastered and SPERG. Sometimes it will work and give me smithing XP, and sometimes I just won't get any, and I can't tell why. Anyone have experience with this?
Yeah, I have CACO and SPERG also (well, sperg and vokrii and ordinator and... because I'm running Vokriinator Black) so it's definitely the same issue. Doesn't seem to be locked to a specific forge, doesn't seem to be locked to a specific recipe, nothing. I just throw my ingots into whatever I would craft anyway, then console myself a bunch of smithing xp and call it good. Obviously not ideal, but functional.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

What's the go-to Vampire mod these days? Still Better Vampires?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

What's the go-to Vampire mod these days? Still Better Vampires?

That or Sacrosanct. Enaison also made a new, more minimalist vamp mod called Sacrilege, I haven't tried it but it honestly looks so minimalist I'm not sure why you'd bother with it at all.

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
I've decided to give Skyrim another chance after a couple years of not playing it, and I've got the game running with a few barebones mods (unofficial patch, SKSE, sky UI) just fine. I'm playing the Special Edition. However, I'm having issues where my mouse movement on menus is different from how it is everywhere else on my computer, and it's really loving up my muscle memory trying to select things; I'm constantly over or undershooting when trying to select anything, and it's making the menus very annoying to navigate.

I've done a bit of googling on this issue, and it looks like the main culprits are mouse acceleration and vsync. Disabling mouse acceleration in the .ini made the issue a lot better, but the movement speed of my mouse is still different enough from the rest of my computer that it's still quite annoying to use. Regarding vsync, I'm getting some conflicting answers on how to disable it from the .ini. Some of them are saying to use iVSyncPresentInterval=0, while others are saying iPresentInterval=0, and some of them are saying to put the changes in Skyrim.ini, some in SkyrimPrefs.ini, and some in both. I've tried all of that and it doesn't really seem to be disabling vsync.

Can someone tell me the right way to disable vsync, and if I do get it disabled, will that fix the weird mouse issues I'm having?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Spoggerific posted:

I've decided to give Skyrim another chance after a couple years of not playing it, and I've got the game running with a few barebones mods (unofficial patch, SKSE, sky UI) just fine. I'm playing the Special Edition. However, I'm having issues where my mouse movement on menus is different from how it is everywhere else on my computer, and it's really loving up my muscle memory trying to select things; I'm constantly over or undershooting when trying to select anything, and it's making the menus very annoying to navigate.

I've done a bit of googling on this issue, and it looks like the main culprits are mouse acceleration and vsync. Disabling mouse acceleration in the .ini made the issue a lot better, but the movement speed of my mouse is still different enough from the rest of my computer that it's still quite annoying to use. Regarding vsync, I'm getting some conflicting answers on how to disable it from the .ini. Some of them are saying to use iVSyncPresentInterval=0, while others are saying iPresentInterval=0, and some of them are saying to put the changes in Skyrim.ini, some in SkyrimPrefs.ini, and some in both. I've tried all of that and it doesn't really seem to be disabling vsync.

Can someone tell me the right way to disable vsync, and if I do get it disabled, will that fix the weird mouse issues I'm having?

Not sure how to do all that, but there’s a pair of UI mods that should help a tiny bit with Skryim’s finicky-rear end mouse controls. Better Dialogue Controls and Better Message Box Controls. Those two should help with those particular issues. Other than that, I’d actually suggest switching to the WASD keys for nitty gritty menu navigation with SkyUI. There’s less chance of screwing things up that way with the mouse and it’s more intuitive than you’d think it would be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
I guess I'll just get used to navigating the menus with my keyboard. I play a lot of roguelikes so that doesn't seem like too much of a hurdle for me.

I'm looking to make a magic-based character, so what are some good magic and alchemy mods I could use? Right now I've got Mysticism, Complete Alchemy and Cooking Overhaul, and Undeath Remastered on my list. I'm also interested in some perk and/or leveling overhauls - last time I played I used SPERG, which is apparently still around, but does anyone have some other suggestions?

I'm also open to any suggestions people have for any kind of mod, really. I've never really done much experimenting. New quests and content, city overhauls, combat additions, I'd like to try out basically anything but graphics changes, which I don't really care about.