Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Free Cheese
Sep 16, 2005
Come on, it's free
Buglord
Jumping on the isolation train, they really nailed that retro future feel, fuckin love it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

BiggerBoat posted:

Only thing that seemed off a little was the THUMP THUMP THUMP hulking sound of the creature but I guess they needed that for game play purposes. I always interpreted the creatures as light - like insects - and very stealthy while moving.
I dunno, it's about 9/10ft tall with such utterly absurd physical power compared to your average human (despite such a slender build for its size) that it'd have to make some obvious noise while stalking the halls. It was only quiet in Alien because it wasn't moving until someone disturbed it.... hint :ssh:

Xenomrph posted:

The Flying Queen had grabbing feet claws that you conceivably could use to hang it upside down like a bat, do you mean that one?

Good lord I loved this figure. In my (idiot kid) mind this was always the 'true' xeno-queen... because it could fly.

Now of course I know it was literally an action figure for some napkin design of a 90s cartoon idea that got loving nowhere but still, what a fine time for young me to discover Alien. Those figures were just so different compared to pretty much everything else. From what remember of action figures from those days, only the Terminator 2 line even came close to being the opposite of blatantly cartoony in design.

Well, that line and Skeleton Warriors, but that's a completely different topic.

Free Cheese posted:

Jumping on the isolation train, they really nailed that retro future feel, fuckin love it
Welcome to the club :c00lbert:

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Wintermutant posted:

We're not the only ones thinking about Aliens:

https://www.cnet.com/news/alien-tv-series-announced-for-fx/

I don't like the sound of it being set on Earth in the near-future but we'll see how it goes

I'll probably watch it but I don't like TV series. I like self contained movies that I can get through in 2 hours. Series are just so long and drawn out to me and they sometimes move at a glacial pace to pad the runtime.

I'll probably wait for your guys' consensus.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Wintermutant posted:

We're not the only ones thinking about Aliens:

https://www.cnet.com/news/alien-tv-series-announced-for-fx/

I don't like the sound of it being set on Earth in the near-future but we'll see how it goes
Depending how near future we're talking wouldn't that be wildly incompatible with Covenant as canon?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Thinking about Aliens (the television series on Hulu.)

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Owlbear Camus posted:

Thinking about Aliens (the television series on Hulu.)

When I was younger I thought of Aliens as basically the perfect movie. Untouchable. Quotes so good so much grrrl power.

Little bit older I thought it was 12 Monkeys, Terry Gilliam joint.

I'm watching the 12 Monkeys TV series right now and I don't hate it. It doesn't break the experience of the original.

I'm hoping for good things. That Aliens the teevee series will attract talented writers and actors. Hopefully producers who aren't looking to cash in but to make something new, different and in the same vein.

Hoping like Hadley.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Splicer posted:

Depending how near future we're talking wouldn't that be wildly incompatible with Covenant as canon?

Not incompatible, it just means David didn’t invent the Alien (even if he thinks he did).

Frankly I’m okay with this.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

https://twitter.com/onlinegrapes/status/1336902189759954944

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Shame they couldn’t have used Jed, the dog who played the Thing in the 1982 film to do it. Probably one of the best dog actors there’s ever been.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Was there any specific reason Cameron used brownface in Aliens?

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I take it you're talking about Janette Goldstein's part as Vasquez?

If so the story goes that she tried out for the part thinking the movie was about illegal aliens.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8njXfB3-fi8
Yes, Hudson's joke in the movie is making reference to a real-life moment.

Why they kept the initial character as Hispanic… that I have no idea. Maybe they realized they didn't have any other minorities besides Apone & Frost & were too lazy to cast somebody else.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

It was the 80's. Honestly not even in the top 3 for cringe brownface casting.

I'd give that honor to Short Circuit 1/2, Annie, and A Passage to India. Honorary mention to Delta Force where Robert Forster does a turn as Abdul the plane-hijacking terrorist.

The first three you kind of have to give a pass though. There's a shortage of subcontental actors to draw from-- it's not like India has a thriving film industry of its own.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Don't leave us hanging.

I finally convinced a friend or maybe he just randomly decided to watch it I forget. So he's doing a play by play on likes/dislikes and I've seen it so many times I'm quoting lines from it like to a few seconds. While I'm distracted with some other task.

Movie is a brain worm.

Sorry to leave you hanging, but Aliens is still good, no matter how many times you watch it.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Owlbear Camus posted:

I'd give that honor to Short Circuit 1/2, Annie, and A Passage to India. Honorary mention to Delta Force where Robert Forster does a turn as Abdul the plane-hijacking terrorist.

The first three you kind of have to give a pass though. There's a shortage of subcontental actors to draw from-- it's not like India has a thriving film industry of its own.

Don't forget The Year Of Living Dangerously and Remo Williams for some "well-regarded" yellowface.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Android Apocalypse posted:

I take it you're talking about Janette Goldstein's part as Vasquez?

If so the story goes that she tried out for the part thinking the movie was about illegal aliens.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8njXfB3-fi8
Yes, Hudson's joke in the movie is making reference to a real-life moment.

Why they kept the initial character as Hispanic… that I have no idea. Maybe they realized they didn't have any other minorities besides Apone & Frost & were too lazy to cast somebody else.

I like the unintentional implication that “Hispanic illegal aliens” are still a thing in the future and our country is still throwing undocumented immigrant workers in cages while also exploring the far reaches of the cosmos and using milky robots as a new slave caste.

Good old fashioned American racism is alive and well in outer space.

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!
Can America truly exist without racism?

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
If you let gays get space married, what's next? People marrying Arcturians?

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
This came up on my youtube recommendations. I haven't watched it but will at some point. It's probably been posted in here before but hey, why not again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqRjzU-G_ow

Also when I opened that video, this 3 hour Aliens doc popped up too. I don't think I've seen this before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWLKwrmYd6A

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
From the Make Movies Festive thread.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I just googled "christmas xe" and christmas xenomorph showed up. Google knows me.

I really like this one.

There's more too.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Pennywise the Frown posted:

From the Make Movies Festive thread.

vaginite posted:

Baby It's Cold in Space.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
A christmas tree totally covered in face huggers might actually get me to enjoy this rotten holiday, get up off my rear end and put up a loving tree.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

BiggerBoat posted:

A christmas tree totally covered in face huggers might actually get me to enjoy this rotten holiday, get up off my rear end and put up a loving tree.

My Dad and Stepmom got me this ornament for Christmas a few years back and it goes on the tree every year:

https://www.coolthings.com/hallmark-keepsake-ornaments-aliens-p-5000-power-loader/

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Owlbear Camus posted:

Honorary mention to Delta Force where Robert Forster does a turn as Abdul the plane-hijacking terrorist.

LOL, I know I saw this film back when it came out and I had no memory of this. Just looked up some clips on YouTube, and oh my goodness...

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

The short circuit thing blew my mind, as a dumb kid I really liked those movies. Come the gently caress onnnn!

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
I posted the christmas xenomorphs to Facebook yesterday, and my girlfriend laughed at them.

She woke up last night from a nightmare where she was being chased by a xeno.

Definitively made her think about aliens.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
While listening to Apple Music I found James Horner's score for Aliens. I remember it being hen's teeth to find the OG CD release of this so today is :hellyeah:.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRT5JyN6jSw

I recently listened to Rossum's Universal Robots, a Czech play that gave us the word "robot," and even though the play was released in 1920, it's amazing how little subsequent stories have added to the idea of robots and synthetics humans. Asimov and his laws would be the only big change.

Let's see, in R.U.R. you've got:

-Robot factory on a creepy isolated island, run by thousands of robots and a skeleton crew of humans who act so weird they might as well be robots.

-Robots being constructed through creepy means "vats for liver and brain creation" "Looms for skin", "spindles for nerves and veins."

-Condescending do-gooder humans trying to free the robots who eventually get hoisted by their own petard.

-Back story that has the creator of the robots being explicitly about replacing God, then the creator's nephew takes over to just make money.

-Museum of horrifying early attempts at creating life.

-Callous disregard for robots by giving them the ability to feel pain but not joy.

-Obvious signs of robots becoming aware of their circumstances and then being "recycled" in a horrifying way.

-Robot contempt for humanity.

-Robot revolt and extermination of the human race.

-Robots learn to love and inherit the Earth.

Seriously, everything from Metropolis, to Blade Runner, the Alien franchise, to the Matrix, to Ex Machina seems to have jsut been variations on the themes that come from this play.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

PeterCat posted:

-Callous disregard for robots by giving them the ability to feel pain but not joy.

That story sounds cool though.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

That story sounds cool though.

They give the robots pain receptors so that they don't injure themselves in industrial accidents. They do not give the robots the ability to feel happiness or joy because those are superfluous to working at a factory.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

PeterCat posted:

They give the robots pain receptors so that they don't injure themselves in industrial accidents. They do not give the robots the ability to feel happiness or joy because those are superfluous to working at a factory.
The problem then becomes giving them self-awareness and the ability to recognize that joy exists (and that they can't feel it).

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I've been thinking about Aliens

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Xenomrph posted:

The problem then becomes giving them self-awareness and the ability to recognize that joy exists (and that they can't feel it).

David, is that you?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

PeterCat posted:

David, is that you?
No, Ash.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Iron Crowned posted:

I've been thinking about Aliens

Same

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

hosed up if false

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Alien: Isolation is free today on Epic Games.

Yes I am aware some folks are cross at them for having yet another installer you gotta use no need to relitigate that here.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK
Not just thinking about Aliens but playing games with them.

Still need the expansions out. Plus the way this game called Core Space works they can pretty much be used in it too. So you want the Colonial Marines competing with the Ghost Crew from Rebels against 40k Tyranids? Its possible!

it even has terrain to bolt on and hive up the normal stuff.

So what are you waiting for sweethearts? Breakfast in bed?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

NICE. I grabbed up a bunch of the Prodos minis during the "losing the license" firesale.

I've also got .stls for the Cheyenne and the APC sitting around waiting to be printed...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

He's doing the "BOOOO!" pose in the vent when it kills Dallas.

I like to think of it as "Jazz Hands!"