Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

kazz posted:

I know it’s irrational, but seeing indoor gatherings in TV shows and movies filmed pre-COVID-19 makes me nervous, so I think I feel the same as you.

I also wince when I'm watching a Let's Play or any youtube video with multiple people in it from the beforetimes and one person keeps coughing or referencing the fact that they're sick and they just carry on. I think I'll get over being outside without a mask on with enough time but I think I'll still have a more visceral reaction to being near someone who is coughing/sneezing for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

Spazzle posted:

Please tell us what hellhole you are from.

Your next door neighbor, our only claim to fame is literally saying "hey, at least we're not americans".

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Tagra posted:

If Coronaviruses mutate slowly, how bad is it to half-rear end the vaccine? Is it reasonably likely to result in resistance like bacteria, or do the viruses mutate slowly enough that it simply wouldn't protect very well?

Basically, is Florida literally going to kill us all?

Let's not engage with "rationalizing a half-assed response is worthwhile" at all. Just, like, can we not, please?

FiskTireBoy
Nov 2, 2020

kazz posted:

I know it’s irrational, but seeing indoor gatherings in TV shows and movies filmed pre-COVID-19 makes me nervous, so I think I feel the same as you.

On top of this, it seems like TV shows and movies have mostly gotten back to normal. Like all the late night talk shows seem to have returned to the studios along with the audiences. Which seems weird although I'm sure they have people spaced out wearing masks. Movies are still being made somehow.

But what gets me the most is alcohol commercials. They are STILL showing large groups of people having a grand ol time in bars/clubs etc. That hurts to see, and judging from what I'm seeing a lot of people doing ( partying it up) it's not helpful at all.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

FiskTireBoy posted:

On top of this, it seems like TV shows and movies have mostly gotten back to normal. Like all the late night talk shows seem to have returned to the studios along with the audiences. Which seems weird although I'm sure they have people spaced out wearing masks. Movies are still being made somehow.

But what gets me the most is alcohol commercials. They are STILL showing large groups of people having a grand ol time in bars/clubs etc. That hurts to see, and judging from what I'm seeing a lot of people doing ( partying it up) it's not helpful at all.

Showing people drinking alone in their apartments isn't exactly aspirational

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

jokes posted:

Hahaha this stupid rear end in a top hat is going to do the same thing that has caused literally everything about coronavirus in America to be the worst: half-rear end the solution, making everything worse than doing nothing or being competent.

no no no no NO

Tell me he doesn't have the power to force this. If he does, between the false sense security of a halfassed vaccine and our hugely transient/snowbird population, Florida will be a toxic petri dish long after the rest of the US got it's poo poo together.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Look, as a Floridian I can confirm that DeSantis' Covid response is not half-assed.

He's actually put his full rear end into making sure that the virus infects as many people as possible and that the economic damage from this will last for years instead of maybe a year at most.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
Yes as a resident of FL whose parent works in Healthcare I am kinda loving pissed about this stupid bullshit I have read today but what can I do besides stay inside and tell my Mom to quit her job is she thinks that's necessary?
Seriously. Just do what the loving science is telling us to do

FiskTireBoy
Nov 2, 2020

PIZZA.BAT posted:

Showing people drinking alone in their apartments isn't exactly aspirational

Yes but in my case it would be realistic.

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat

FlamingLiberal posted:

Look, as a Floridian I can confirm that DeSantis' Covid response is not half-assed.

He's actually put his full rear end into making sure that the virus infects as many people as possible and that the economic damage from this will last for years instead of maybe a year at most.

Listen. At least we didn't elect a CRIMINAL DEMONRAT who got FREE HAMILTON TICKETS.

Much much better that Florida elected someone actually stupider and more feckless than Donald Trump.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

in advertising!? :confused:

Twat McTwatterson
May 31, 2011

Another Bill posted:

I don't read German so can I ask why? My understanding is that Canadians are going to start wide rollout in April and I think of Germany being more advanced than us in technology, wealth and social welfare.

lmao yes the germans are the pinnacle of advanced human peoples

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Twat McTwatterson posted:

Poster said that he/she perceived Germany as being more advanced in those three areas, not that they're ubermensch.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Twat McTwatterson posted:

If you love cananda so much why don't you marry it :love:

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
until your culture has developed curry wurst it is not worthy of calling itself advanced

that said, that infographic was mostly correct, but apparently the date numbers based on a german yellow pages paper's output. they tried to cover it up with "it was a leak and not meant for the public", which was a bold lie given it was posted on their public infographics sections

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

The Isle of Man is an Aus/NZ-style COVID-free green zone and this guy endangered that, but you have to admit his method of arrival is pretty sick:

https://twitter.com/BBCNews/status/1338578819276476416

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I hope he at least got laid before they caught him.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
I WHO AM AMERICAN IS DEEPLY OFFENDED BY WHAT I JUST READ I WANNA SPEAK TO YOUR MANAGER!

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Now let's jail every other rear end in a top hat on a jet ski.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

FiskTireBoy posted:

The UK show The Great British Bake Off created a 'bubble' by housing about 80 production crew, cast and contestants in a hotel for the entire filming run. They also had to include about 20 hotel staff and the contestants' families and pets in the bubble. It must have cost millions of dollars and disrupted thousands of people's lives and it was still a massive gamble that could have gone horribly wrong but their argument was "The nation needs this show, we have to do it because it's so important!" :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

quote:

The Great British Baking Show is the closest thing the world has to televised Xanax. And when the coronavirus pandemic forced the planet into lockdown this past spring, GBBS producers knew that captive audiences, more than ever, needed television’s most-soothing series.

“People were so desperate for things to be normal,” explained Love Productions managing director Letty Kavanagh on Tuesday, recalling the company’s decision to go to Mission Impossible–style extremes in order to film an 11th season as the pandemic reached its peak. “It seemed like [vacations] might not be possible. Schools weren’t going to be reopening…it basically made us more determined to try and find some way that we could have a bit of normality through Bake Off.”

The normality wasn’t just for audiences, explained Kavanagh. The production team behind The Great British Baking Show—known as The Great British Bake Off in the U.K.—has been working together for over a decade: “So the thought of just not doing it this year seemed, well, implausible.”
https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2020/09/great-british-baking-show-new-season-pandemic

(I'm sure the fact that the show is MASSIVELY profitable for the network and they had a whole range of giftware waiting to be rolled out for the Christmas period had absolutely nothing to do with the decision)

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003

I'm really sorry, your avatar is giving me a boner and while that is perfectly OK and I don't want to kink shame anyone, its making me feel really weird getting a boner in a Trump thread.

Sincerely,

Jailbrekr

unpacked robinhood posted:

Now let's geld every other rear end in a top hat on a jet ski.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Melbourne Australia has now gone 46 days without any locally-transmitted infections (we have 7 international travelers in quarantine who tested positive) and has mostly opened up and removed a lot of the restrictions but the medical industry is still reeling from the outbreak we had earlier in the year. We had a few hot days (but not extreme heat) and last night the ambulance service was overwhelmed with a 20% increase in the amount of calls they usually receive, most likely as a deferred effect of people not seeking medical care during the outbreak.

quote:

Victorian Ambulance Union secretary Danny Hill said last night was one of the busiest nights paramedics have had all year.

"There was a massive spike in cases, at one point there were over a hundred cases in the pending category, meaning a call's been taken and it's been deemed they need an ambulance," he said.

"A lot of it seems to be that a lot of people haven't been going to see their GP, either they haven't been able to get in to see them, they haven't been taking patients, or due to COVID they've kept at home."

Mr Hill said paramedics were feeling the strain of a difficult year

"We do feel that there is a shortage of paramedics, the paramedics have been working right the way through the better part of the year through the COVID environment, they've been wearing full PPE and they're just exhausted, emotionally and physically exhausted and fatigued," he said.

"There just needs to be enough paramedics in the system to weather that and cope with that because there's nothing really special about last night, there was no thunderstorm asthma that we know of, just a really big spike in workload.

"For many of them, they might have to come and do it all over again tonight and I can tell you that's a very hard thing to do to front up after you've had that sort of night."

Mr Dunlop said there were no problems yesterday with the callout system operated by external organisation Emergency Services Telecommunications Authority (ESTA), and a normal number of paramedics were on shift.

He said Ambulance Victoria had earlier this year brought forward the recruitment of 120 student paramedics, and a further 300 students could be called upon during surge periods.

Health Minister Martin Foley said there was no single issue that led to the spike in calls.

"There seems to be a range of factors, whether it's some of the issues of deferred care, whether it's from the pandemic response, whether it's been three nights of relatively warm weather," he said.

Ambulance Victoria said the demand was around 20 per cent higher than usual for this time of year.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-12-15/surge-in-demand-for-ambulances-in-melbourne/12983968

If a state which has pretty much eliminated covid 6 weeks ago and has universal healthcare and a well organised, efficient ambulance system is struggling in the aftermath of an outbreak, that's a real bad sign for any country which is in a worse position.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Melbourne Australia has now gone 46 days without any locally-transmitted infections (we have 7 international travelers in quarantine who tested positive) and has mostly opened up and removed a lot of the restrictions but the medical industry is still reeling from the outbreak we had earlier in the year. We had a few hot days (but not extreme heat) and last night the ambulance service was overwhelmed with a 20% increase in the amount of calls they usually receive, most likely as a deferred effect of people not seeking medical care during the outbreak.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-12-15/surge-in-demand-for-ambulances-in-melbourne/12983968

If a state which has pretty much eliminated covid 6 weeks ago and has universal healthcare and a well organised, efficient ambulance system is struggling in the aftermath of an outbreak, that's a real bad sign for any country which is in a worse position.
Yeah excess deaths outside of covid are way up and I attribute it to people not seeking treatment for medical problems (as well as the general decline in mental health, the increase in substance abuse, less active lifestyles, a lot of things at play really.)

I know I've neglected to see a doctor about things I normally would. Or my dentist.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Hasn't Victoria's ambulance service been getting austerity slashed for a while? There was a massive union imbroglio over it a few years ago, when every ambulance you saw was painted with slogan ragging on the government.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

It turns out that a thousands of mustelids housed in extremely close proximity to each other is the perfect venue for forcing speed runs on coronavirus mutations, there were at least five new mutations in Denmark alone. If the virus had just been passed back and forth between humans and a handful of pets then mutations should never really have been an issue.

There's also been outbreaks in mink farms in Utah, Wisconsin, Michigan, Oregon and British Columbia.

Zugzwang posted:

Lovely. And infectious disease experts say that this kind of thing will keep happening as humans encroach more and more on animal territory and encounter even more novel diseases, so that's cool.

I'm just glad that - so far - dogs and cats haven't been transmitting covid to humans.

There's been a bunch of confirmed cases of mink farmers catching covid from minks, and the virus has now been found in the wild mink population in the US

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1338607222838992898

Halloween Liker
Oct 31, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
What if I take one of each vaccine?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
https://twitter.com/andrewperezdc/status/1338738636393738242

quote:

The Huffington Post reported on Monday that Democratic Sen. Joe Manchin is joining GOP senators in backing corporate immunity legislation. A draft of the legislative language obtained by The Daily Poster includes provisions that would:

quote:

Shield companies from all coronavirus-related actions retroactively — for at least one year, or until the pandemic is over — except in cases of “gross negligence.” Most coronavirus-related lawsuits would be forced into federal courts, which are considered more friendly to business interests.

Restrict the enforcement of longstanding laws such as the Fair Labor Standards Act of 1938, the Occupational Safety and Health Act of 1970 and the Civil Rights Act of 1964 when companies say they are attempting to comply with governments’ coronavirus guidance.

Empower the United States Attorney General to deem coronavirus-related lawsuits from workers, customers and attorneys “meritless” and then file civil actions against them as retribution. In order to “vindicate the public interest,” courts would be allowed to fine respondents up to $50,000.

Shield health care executives from lawsuits through language copied word-for-word from a statute passed in New York by Democratic Gov. Andrew Cuomo amid a spate of COVID deaths in that state’s nursing homes.

quote:

The latter package did not include a new round of $1,200 stimulus checks sought by Vermont Independent Sen. Bernie Sanders and Sen. Josh Hawley, R-Mo. Only $188 billion of the proposal is new stimulus money — the other $560 billion is repurposed from the CARES Act, passed this spring.

They finally found a way to stop those pesky labour laws and the Civil Rights Act from holding corporations back during a pandemic

If you try to sue your company for giving you covid the AG could fine you $50,000 in order to make an example of you, LOL

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Dec 15, 2020

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

Only give money to corporations. Never take.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Halloween Liker posted:

What if I take one of each vaccine?

They're actually doing studies to find out

https://twitter.com/BBCNews/status/1337423394170605569
https://twitter.com/businessinsider/status/1336269133730734082

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

lol @ the way this backwards rear end country gave covid relief

https://twitter.com/HoustonChron/status/1338575081950343175?s=20

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Ehud posted:

Was this from Mnuchin’s slush fund that Democrats warned about back in April?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Some positive news for the Moderna vaccine’s effectiveness

https://twitter.com/drleanawen/status/1338847204023410688?s=21

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Some positive news for the Moderna vaccine’s effectiveness

https://twitter.com/drleanawen/status/1338847204023410688?s=21

These have already been being produced as well, right?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Yes this is one of the vaccine candidates that has been under production for some time. They are waiting to get approval from the FDA and then they can start to distribute

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yes this is one of the vaccine candidates that has been under production for some time. They are waiting to get approval from the FDA and then they can start to distribute

I'm guessing that Trump isn't going to ring up the FDA chief and threaten to fire him if he doesn't approve this vaccine as well, he forced the Pfizer approval through and got a token number of vials flown out and got to post a bunch of Tweets claiming credit for everything so now he's stopped caring about all that

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Ehud posted:

gently caress this guy.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Trump did not force the approval through. Under any competent administration it probably would have been a month earlier, but thanks to his idiotic attempts at tying it to the election it was necessary to be extra careful about how they presented the approval, including the additional month of safety data thrown on. There was never any realistic chance that this would not be approved, the extra delays have really just been an attempt to partially rebuild public confidence.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Scarodactyl posted:

Trump did not force the approval through. Under any competent administration it probably would have been a month earlier, but thanks to his idiotic attempts at tying it to the election it was necessary to be extra careful about how they presented the approval, including the additional month of safety data thrown on. There was never any realistic chance that this would not be approved, the extra delays have really just been an attempt to partially rebuild public confidence.

Also the UK had already approved it and started distributing it a week earlier :ssh:

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
I wish that Donald Trump caught a case of 1980s trucker AIDS back in the 1960s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Also the UK had already approved it and started distributing it a week earlier :ssh:

Canadian CHUDs are all over social media complaining that we're LAST IN LINE and THE PRIME MINISTER HAS BLOOD ON HIS HANDS meanwhile we approved ahead of the United States, started our first inoculations yesterday and plan to have the entire eligible population vaccinated by the end of September.

In conclusion, gently caress CHUDS everywhere.