Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

RareAcumen posted:

Patrick Willems video on Kevin Smtih gives me a Tyler Perry impression as far as declining quality of their work goes.

Smith feels like he really said everything he wanted to say in Clerks and then just kept talking but didn't ever have much to say. And it is true, by his time directing Bruce Willis he should know which lenses do what.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
you know who's good and has good poo poo to say?

https://twitter.com/JimSterling/status/1338567822633480200

Jim Motherfucking Sterling

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

That is indeed Punk.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

https://twitter.com/carolaverygrant/status/1337941462667780097

:shepface:

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

UGH. The whole thread is dumb - no, we shouldn't bully people for their likes and hobbies but jesus wept that is not equvlient to racebaiting.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Twincityhacker posted:

UGH. The whole thread is dumb - no, we shouldn't bully people for their likes and hobbies but jesus wept that is not equvlient to racebaiting.

this.

Dawgstar posted:

Smith feels like he really said everything he wanted to say in Clerks and then just kept talking but didn't ever have much to say. And it is true, by his time directing Bruce Willis he should know which lenses do what.

yeah. i have heard he is a pretty good dude but his whole thing is being the tarantino of nerds. i liked dogma though.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Twincityhacker posted:

Yeah, I always hate that kind of talk way faster than even any dumb replies that aren't completely awful, "HURR BULLY THESE PEOPLE FOR A HOBBY" and other inane reasons, said as a joke or not is stupid and bad, because people apparently always have to be reminded that previous, now and future the biggest victims of bullying are often without a doubt going to be sexual minorities, women, PoC and other at risk people, continuing to use the language of and ideas of badgering, browbeating and melting down at people, most of which are harmlessly liking a thing just adds a lot more shittiness in an already dumpster fire of a time. Like it already long since passed the point of the kind of people that blunder into any and all really mild fan chats about for example YA book type stuff, kramering in to start farting out read another book for the millionth time or whatever, getting a lot more annoying than the a lot of the time common fans they're trying to get ~sikk ownz~ on, shut up and let people enjoy things if they're not being insane.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Yardbomb posted:

Yeah, I always hate that kind of talk way faster than even any dumb replies that aren't completely awful, "HURR BULLY THESE PEOPLE FOR A HOBBY" and other inane reasons, said as a joke or not is stupid and bad, because people apparently always have to be reminded that previous, now and future the biggest victims of bullying are often without a doubt going to be sexual minorities, women, PoC and other at risk people, continuing to use the language of and ideas of badgering, browbeating and melting down at people, most of which are harmlessly liking a thing just adds a lot more shittiness in an already dumpster fire of a time. Like it already long since passed the point of the kind of people that blunder into any and all really mild fan chats about for example YA book type stuff, kramering in to start farting out read another book for the millionth time or whatever, getting a lot more annoying than the a lot of the time common fans they're trying to get ~sikk ownz~ on, shut up and let people enjoy things if they're not being insane.

Oh yeah I agree for the record. I got chased out of a thread once because I said I liked a movie most people hate and got namecalled and insulted for it which I thought was ridiculously petty and stupid of them so I know what thats like. Its bullshit.

I just thought it was funny that Bob thinks posting that consoomer meme at him is akin to racism. :shepface:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Yardbomb posted:

At least the roving band of lofty rear end in a top hat librarians that used to do this poo poo on SA has been relatively neutered since their bellend god king got perma'd and then outed as an insane stalker.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

nine-gear crow posted:

At least the roving band of lofty rear end in a top hat librarians that used to do this poo poo on SA has been relatively neutered since their bellend god king got perma'd and then outed as an insane stalker.

BravestoftheLamps?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

Kevin Smith or Patrick Willems?

Christopher Nolan

Jamie Faith posted:

Oh yeah I agree for the record. I got chased out of a thread once because I said I liked a movie most people hate and got namecalled and insulted for it which I thought was ridiculously petty and stupid of them so I know what thats like. Its bullshit.

I just thought it was funny that Bob thinks posting that consoomer meme at him is akin to racism. :shepface:

I feel ya bud. I liked Treasure Planet, even though I wish it had gone into more detail about things. Like, why exactly did Jim's dad leave? Was it a war or just being a deadbeat? What's school like in the robo cop/alien pirate future like exactly?

Would've been nice to get definite answers, since the movie wasn't going to have a sequel or anything.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Jamie Faith posted:

BravestoftheLamps?

Yeah, but he was finally perma'd because he sneered down his nose at a black kid daring to enjoy Into the Spiderverse.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Neo_Crimson posted:

Yeah, but he was finally perma'd because he sneered down his nose at a black kid daring to enjoy Into the Spiderverse.

No. He made fun of my toy pics and i guess followed me all over the place. i had him on ignore.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Neo_Crimson posted:

lol yeah I remember him coming right back to the previous version of this thread after he got banned on an alt and got permad again lol

CelticPredator posted:

No. He made fun of my toy pics and i guess followed me all over the place. i had him on ignore.

aw yeah jeeze I remember hearing that freak was stalking you :( Any idea what his damage was? Was he just like "Mature adults shouldn't enjoy things like toys so im going to stalk this poster to prove that THEYRE the one with issues:shepface: "

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

CelticPredator posted:

He stalked a bunch of people all across SA and Discord, including the mod of CineD. The whole "getting screaming mad at a six year old for liking a Spider-Man cartoon" was functionally the last straw but it was more like one of those Lifetime Achievement perma's that wasn't for any one specific thing exactly.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

We just hated each other. Like i said dude was on my ignore list and I saw he replied to that pic and was like aright.

There could've been more, but I don't know and I don't really want to know lol.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

I remember my one real reaction with him. Someone asked for recs in like the lore/fantasy department and I recommended a decent fella I know called 40K Theories who does all that sort of thing for Warhammer (I don't know much but he's a good fella and we've collabed previously). BOTL immediately came in to scoff and look down at me for liking this grognard poo poo or whatever.

What a oval office.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Jamie Faith posted:

aw yeah jeeze I remember hearing that freak was stalking you :( Any idea what his damage was? Was he just like "Mature adults shouldn't enjoy things like toys so im going to stalk this poster to prove that THEYRE the one with issues:shepface: "

He was a perfectly fine and normal poster until some point in 2016 (no, it wasn't Trump related). At some point in the spring-summer of 2016, something in his brain cracked and he ramped up into a turbo-rear end in a top hat and then overclocked into full on psycho stalker with a hosed up fan club.

He stalked me around SA for at least a year because I kicked him out of Let's Play for being an rear end in a top hat to people while I was a mod and would make fun of his weird rants in the GRRM thread in TBB. He had a long list of forums enemies for a menagerie of weirdo reasons apparently.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I got a big screed about me from him which was fun lmao. Oh well.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Kim Justice posted:

I remember my one real reaction with him. Someone asked for recs in like the lore/fantasy department and I recommended a decent fella I know called 40K Theories who does all that sort of thing for Warhammer (I don't know much but he's a good fella and we've collabed previously). BOTL immediately came in to scoff and look down at me for liking this grognard poo poo or whatever.

What a oval office.

One of his favorite trolling tactics in the GRRM thread was going "Game of Thrones sucks, read some real literature like Dickens, plebeians." And I would respond with "Dickens is garbage, read Restoration literature or Romantic Era poetry" and he would just BSoD and duck out of the thread because I don't think he could handle being out-English Major'd.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

nine-gear crow posted:

One of his favorite trolling tactics in the GRRM thread was going "Game of Thrones sucks, read some real literature like Dickens, plebeians." And I would respond with "Dickens is garbage, read Restoration literature or Romantic Era poetry" and he would just BSoD and duck out of the thread because I don't think he could handle being out-English Major'd.

lmao what a tool. Rest in piss

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

He got mad at me in one of these threads because I called Harold Bloom a piece of poo poo.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
is bakugon still a thing? I know people had yugioh recs before but like I guess my recommended page is all hosed up from marathoning a bunch of yugioh and magic videos because it pointed me to some dude's channel for those weird bakugon things that were like magnetic marbles you flicked into cards that popped up into monsters to...do things...I don't really remember because I was just a bit on the too old for more card game bullshit side of things when that got brought over. It's weirdly fascinating though, this dude just kinda genuinely seems passionate about these little plastic marble monsters and even though I understand nothing I kinda want to learn more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fP0W7q-d1Ak&t=206s

Is 2020 just the year I get into all the things that happened in high school for my nerd rear end? I'm already buying magic cards again, is this what quarantine does to me, my friends all make sourdough bread and I'm genuinely thinking 'what if I just got into this yugioh ripoff that almost certainly is dead'.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Lamps was terrible but what was weirder were that strange gaggle of cheerleaders he managed to collect. The kind who would always tiresomely show up in threads he'd been chased out of to go :decorum: sea lion about how the guy was right really you all just can't handle it etc.

I mean Lamp's was quite transparently just misusing lit course terms and references purely to pick on people and keep fights going. Like you could easily just copy all of his posts in a thread into one reply and list of the dozen ways they completely undermined each other or were relying on well worn fallacies. And that was when Lamp's was showing enough restraint not to call users paedophiles for supervising club activities at a school they work at. Anyone else remember that? I'm pretty sure it was in one of these threads.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Neo_Crimson posted:

what the gently caress is wrong with enjoying spiderverse. i am almost 30 and white as gently caress and that movie was awsome, what could be wrong with a black kid liking it?

Edit: so he is some dickhead who thinks everything has to be "high" art. newsflash dumbass, dickens and Shakespeare weren't written to be snobby bullshit, they were made for the masses. just because the language sounds fancier doesnt mean it was only for the elite.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DJAVuo1VV0

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Dec 15, 2020

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

turns out the real monster was capital the whole time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qa5QiMzdTFI

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Baka-nin posted:

Lamps was terrible but what was weirder were that strange gaggle of cheerleaders he managed to collect. The kind who would always tiresomely show up in threads he'd been chased out of to go :decorum: sea lion about how the guy was right really you all just can't handle it etc.

I mean Lamp's was quite transparently just misusing lit course terms and references purely to pick on people and keep fights going. Like you could easily just copy all of his posts in a thread into one reply and list of the dozen ways they completely undermined each other or were relying on well worn fallacies. And that was when Lamp's was showing enough restraint not to call users paedophiles for supervising club activities at a school they work at. Anyone else remember that? I'm pretty sure it was in one of these threads.

Even he thought his fan club was weird and creepy and torched them in a series of beyond the digital grave “I have a compulsive need to claim the last word” letters delivered by a chosen herald in QCS. He said they were all hosed up and he kind of hated them... and they STILL white knighted him in the Unban Lamps thread right until the Yo, He’s A loving Stalker, Guys bomb dropped and the thread mysteriously died suddenly :thunk:

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Edit: so he is some dickhead who thinks everything has to be "high" art. newsflash dumbass, dickens and Shakespeare weren't written to be snobby bullshit, they were made for the masses. just because the language sounds fancier doesnt mean it was only for the elite.

People who just assume that Skakespeare as a whole is some infallible high and cultured artistry are hilarious.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Yardbomb posted:

People who just assume that Skakespeare as a whole is some infallible high and cultured artistry are hilarious.

The man wrote a whole sub plot about a farting dog, the stage direction “Exeunt pursued by a bear” as a punchline, and the line “her C’s, her U’s, and... T’s.” The Bard was the Renaissance’s answer to Judd Apatow.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Yardbomb posted:

yeah, i mean i love Shakespeare because its has some great themes and stories but its mostly just interpretations of history or older stories with gently caress jokes and gore thrown in. i mostly read nonfiction and some weird classics but most fiction poo poo i read/listen to is loving brand IP based poo poo like star wars or warhammer or weird video game novels. also just fictional stuff that reads like history stuff. its probably why i liked blood and fire by grrm so much because it reads like a weird history book and the author talks about how he has to rely on super unreliable sources for everything.

also Shakespeare hot take. i have always viewed Romeo and Juliet as a black comedy.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Dec 15, 2020

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I appreciate how many of Shakespeare's stuff was just remakes of other stuff. Just most of that original stuff was "good themes but bad dialogue". Including making Othello remarkably less racist than its source material.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Terrible Opinions posted:

I appreciate how many of Shakespeare's stuff was just remakes of other stuff. Just most of that original stuff was "good themes but bad dialogue". Including making Othello remarkably less racist than its source material.

well some of it is basicaly just based off history books and poo poo, like Julius Cesare based on Suetonius and few others writings.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Oh yeah there are plenty of histories, but even outside of those most of the histories are based on earlier history plays, and a lot of the not history plays are based on earlier fiction plays.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

nine-gear crow posted:

He was a perfectly fine and normal poster until some point in 2016 (no, it wasn't Trump related). At some point in the spring-summer of 2016, something in his brain cracked and he ramped up into a turbo-rear end in a top hat and then overclocked into full on psycho stalker with a hosed up fan club.

He stalked me around SA for at least a year because I kicked him out of Let's Play for being an rear end in a top hat to people while I was a mod and would make fun of his weird rants in the GRRM thread in TBB. He had a long list of forums enemies for a menagerie of weirdo reasons apparently.
BOTL wanted to be SMG, but he basically became the Troy Duffy to Supermecha's Tarintino

Yardbomb posted:

It just becomes a feedback loop of total poo poo

Like yeah the take "superhero movies are our mythology" is dumb because it doesn't understand what mythology actually is and comes off as someone wanting to justify that watching superhero movies can be mature. Don't need to dogpile on these people just loving mute and ignore them

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Kim Justice posted:

What a oval office.

Man who could hate on 40K Theories? Where else would we get bird skull cyberdongs?

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Baka-nin posted:

And that was when Lamp's was showing enough restraint not to call users paedophiles for supervising club activities at a school they work at. Anyone else remember that? I'm pretty sure it was in one of these threads.
I don't know about that but I'm pretty sure that he accused people of being pedophiles for vague and perplexing reasons multiple times in the old thread.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Baka-nin posted:

And that was when Lamp's was showing enough restraint not to call users paedophiles for supervising club activities at a school they work at. Anyone else remember that? I'm pretty sure it was in one of these threads.

Ooh, that was me he got mad at. Super fun time.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
The only time I really remember interacting with BotL was when I made a comment that they didn't respond to, which I took to mean that it was so insightful they couldn't critique it.

Or, y'know, it was just me making a comment so dumb even BotL couldn't be bothered with it. BUT STILL

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
That reminds me of dunking on BoTL repeatedly with his own quote about judging literature based on its prose being snobbery.

I actually dug through the 3.0 thread to find it. Just quoting this post of his;

Bravest of the Lamps posted:

Judging literature only based on it's prose is upper class snobbery. I know many examples If this, like

And a quote of whatever new bullshit he'd spouted about books was a lot of fun for a hot minute :allears:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

also Shakespeare hot take. i have always viewed Romeo and Juliet as a black comedy.

I was in a dramatic reading over the summer which included an almost-always-cut scene in between Juliet faking her death and Romeo deciding he too must die, where Shakespeare tells an extended joke about musicians being poor and stupid.