Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

sebzilla posted:

This is probably not a good thing for Labour's chances of winning a majority any time soon, right?

https://twitter.com/PARLYapp/status/1338582220206903297?s=19
The entirety of the north moved to one constituency, Chipping Norton split into 600 constituencies, two of which are Jeremy Clarkson.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nutapii
Jun 24, 2020

happyhippy posted:

Infinitesimal.
They are back to infighting amongst themselves and pettiness point scoring against Sinn Fein.
Foster is no doubt trying to phone Boris daily, to try to get back to the adult table.
The Evangelical old guard of the DUP are getting more and more boisterous, they are not happy with Foster
Bah gawd, is that TUV's music?!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

sebzilla posted:

This is probably not a good thing for Labour's chances of winning a majority any time soon, right?

No change for Northern Ireland is Jim Allister's slogan isn't it?

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Nutapii posted:

Bah gawd, is that TUV's music?!

Edwin "the earth is 4000 years old" Poots (who managed to rack up £40k in legal fees trying to challenge the court of appeals ruling that NI had to extend adoption rights to same sex couples while health minister) is openly sharpening his knives and publicaly voicing disagreement with the party direction on covid restrictions - openly criticising the party when he's as high up as he is is extremely uncommon in the DUP and taken as a pretty big indication that the mumbles of internal dissatisfaction from the old guard of the party against Foster are reaching a possible tipping point.

The only other really viable candidate is probably wee Jeffrey Donaldson who is to the right of Foster, once listed his two main influences as Jesus Christ and Enoch Powell (who he used to be election agent for) and still is somehow a better option than Poots

kustomkarkommando fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Dec 14, 2020

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Pistol_Pete posted:

Eh, it'll happen one way or the other, although we may need a few weeks of no-deal chaos to concentrate people's minds sufficiently first. Here's a good FT article explaining why there'll be a deal at the end of all this:

Excellent piece, thank you.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

sebzilla posted:

Less so after 2019. It's mostly small welsh seats that have been depopulating and getting older that used to be safe labour but flipped being abolished, and the new south east seats will probably be in urban centres that have grown alot - Oxford, Cambridge, Hastings etc - which should be more viable than the South East label makes them sound.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

https://twitter.com/jimmfelton/status/1338596409440948226?s=21

Great stuff

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
AP is the densest person in the UK, christ

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
This is great
:nws:https://twitter.com/FloandJoan/status/1338422589782433794?s=08 :nws:

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Comrade Fakename posted:

I don't really put much credence into the "MI5 forced the Guardian to hate Corbyn" theories, because that doesn't really explain why all its writers vociferously defend it on Twitter. The newspaper does seem to accurately reflect the worldview of the people who write it, it doesn't seem like anyone has been coerced.

The writers defend their employer, that's not wierd. When I got my first part-time job at GAME I would have defended GAME to the death because GAME was why I had £557 in my bank account each month, it isn't more complicated than that. The writers being poo poo is easily explained and less interesting than the readers being poo poo.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I find a lot of Guardian lib thinking is based around infantalising themselves, or falling back on the sort of rules kids learn to stop them fighting. "The grownups are back in the room," "agree to disagree," "be nice," "find a middle ground" etc.

I was genuinely surprised the 'I'm baby' meme never hooked into UK libs the way it did for the US libs because you're completely right, it is an infantalising worldview.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

TLDR: They're dickheads, but they want to sound clever. If you point out they're not clever, that's mean and you're mean for making them think about things.

I think you're assuming libs have an objective 'cleverness' value and that absolutely isn't the case. The people we call libs aren't "liberals" because they believe in liberalism to any extent, they're libs because that's the easiest thing to be. If the Guardian had even treated the Corbyn movement neutrally then there would have been a lot more libs supporting us just because they felt it was allowed, and for the record in 2017 most libs did support us libs are not a lost cause, but by 2019 the Guardian had conditioned them not to any actual argument but just that Corbyn People=bad, and isn't it just easier to go along with that?

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I can now give myself a covid test twice a week. Which is good. (False positives notwithstanding).
The fact it takes 30 minutes, which is more time than it usually takes me to get ready in the morning, is a bad thing. Because it means I either have to wake up early or get to work late.

Also, I'm not exactly at my best shortly after I wake up in the morning, so trying to work out how to actually use the loving thing when I can barely remember my own name is going to be fun.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
British liberalism is standing in a room of people of opposing views, trying to find the barycentre and with a smirk going "see how angry everyone is, wheras I, I am calm. In a way, I'm kind of a moderator. I'm sort of in charge, if you put it like that" and then knocking off a Guardian column over brunch.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Isomermaid posted:

barycentre

I had to look up what this means and in doing so learned that the sun is somehow simultaneously orbiting around all the objects that orbit it?

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

sebzilla posted:

It's having far less effect than it would have done if they'd pushed ahead with reducing the Commons to 600 seats. They have kept the ideas of greatly reducing the permitted variation in electorate sizes (to within 5% either way of the average number of electors per constituency) and reducing the general Welsh over-representation. Reducing the permitted variation does work in favour of the Tories, insofar as it goes some way to removing a long-standing bias in favour of Labour. With the current boundaries it takes thousands more votes to elect an average Conservative MP than it does a Labour MP, because Conservative-favouring constituencies tend to have more electors in them than Labour-favouring ones do and there is much greater permitted variation.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

The devil is in the detail, though. From what I've heard my constituency is losing a fairly staunch red town and gaining a smaller, bluer one, making our swing seat less swingy and having basically no effect on the Tory as gently caress constituencies around us.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

kecske posted:

I had to look up what this means and in doing so learned that the sun is somehow simultaneously orbiting around all the objects that orbit it?

Yes, because gravity works both ways, the sun just has a lot more of it than the rest of the solar system. It usually applies to systems with multiple stars or to things like pluto/charon where the two objects are comparable in mass, they orbit around their mutual center of gravity, it's just for most object groupings that point is inside the most massive object.

It's like if you ever watch someone do a hammer toss, they don't just spin round with the hammer held out, they lean back and the spinning happens around a point somewhere between their body and the hammer, that's the barycenter.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Dec 15, 2020

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The earth-moon system isn't that far away from being a system where the barycenter is outside either.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Also true, the moon is unusually big compared to the size of the earth.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

sebzilla posted:

The devil is in the detail, though. From what I've heard my constituency is losing a fairly staunch red town and gaining a smaller, bluer one, making our swing seat less swingy and having basically no effect on the Tory as gently caress constituencies around us.

Aren't you a stalward 'I left Labour and am drat proud of it too' type? Seems wierd to be even paying attention to such trifles don't you have a far more effective extra-electoral mass movement to be posting about?

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Isomermaid posted:

British liberalism is standing in a room of people of opposing views, trying to find the barycentre and with a smirk going "see how angry everyone is, wheras I, I am calm. In a way, I'm kind of a moderator. I'm sort of in charge, if you put it like that" and then knocking off a Guardian column over brunch.

I won't have these attacks on Richard Ayoade.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Vitamin P posted:

Aren't you a stalward 'I left Labour and am drat proud of it too' type? Seems wierd to be even paying attention to such trifles don't you have a far more effective extra-electoral mass movement to be posting about?

No I'm a "the Labour Party is full of shitheads who I don't want to give money to but I don't really know what else to do so I'd like it to get better please" type as evidenced by my posting some 24 hours ago.

sebzilla posted:

That's true but I'm yet to see a realistic parliamentary alternative materialise. I quit the party some months ago but seeing the various fights going on against Starmer/Evans and the 100+ CLPs that have passed votes on that basis I'm wondering if we might be giving up too soon. Obviously it depends on your local party but if there are winnable fights to be had around getting decent candidates for the next elections etc. then those might be fights worth having. I dunno, really. At the moment I'm just angry and directionless, at least within the Labour Party I might get to shout at some centrists every now and then.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

The anti-semitism topic has been removed from under the article. I just looked.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Vitamin P posted:

The writers defend their employer, that's not wierd. When I got my first part-time job at GAME I would have defended GAME to the death because GAME was why I had £557 in my bank account each month, it isn't more complicated than that. The writers being poo poo is easily explained and less interesting than the readers being poo poo.

Are you saying that all the Guardian journos actually really liked Corbyn, but just trashed him both in the pages of their newspaper and then also every loving where else for half a decade just out of a forelock-tugging deference to their bosses? You know the editors of the Guardian never stood up on a milk crate in the office to announce that they officially hate Corbyn from now on?

I’ve never seen any evidence that the political beliefs of these idiots aren’t sincerely held by them.

Comrade Fakename fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Dec 15, 2020

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think the suggestion is they work for a poo poo paper with a poo poo editorial line so they will become poo poo because their jobs depend on it even if they were not personally predisposed to be poo poo otherwise.

Though I don't know if that necessarily applies when they're also all rich failchildren who probably think that way anyway the way it does with people who work retail for money.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Probably a bit of both to be honest.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Dawn Foster worked for the Guardian and tried to write something that was not poo poo (criticising Tom Watson) and they canned her.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
Barry Center is the mathematical average of all newspaper columnists, given human form by an annual arcane ritual that creates all government policy

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

For overnight pondering:

My almost-5-year old great-niece wants to interview me on zoom as to why I don't celebrate christmas.

I'm under strict instructions from my sister (grandma to said child) that I'm not to disillusion her or tell her anything different to what she's learning at her (church) school.
So, I said to her, you mean without mentioning the stench of hypocrisy, the reek of capitalism and the pong of commercialization..... nor the pre-existing pagan festivals around the same time of year then?
No - none of that, she said.

As I don't have the option of saying "I'm a {name your religion here}" or "I'm a {name your Christian group that doesn't celebrate xmas eg the Wee Frees}", I'm at a bit of a loss what to say that isn't outright dishonest. There's only so much I can fob off with 'when you're a big girl ask me again'.
(This kid is very bright and remembers everything)

She wanted to do it this evening (Mon) but I managed to put it off til Wednesday evening. If anyone has any good ideas, more than happy to hear them. (I've got private message now if anyone doesn't want to disillusion the Believers in Santa ITT).

This is the time of year when I put my Bah Humbug hat on (which my sister gave me some years ago).

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean personally I would tell her that her (grand)mother doesn't want her to know why but then I don't have any family with children that I want to stay attached to.

I suppose if you want to you could try and phrase it in a christian friendly way and say that the way people celebrate christmas isn't very christian but I dunno that might turn her into a raving tradcath.

Seems daft really, if the kid wants to know and you're not allowed to answer then what's the point?

If she is a bright child I don't think it will hurt her to learn complicated ideas like "there are better things in life than spending lots of money and a lot of people have to work hard so that your christmas presents get to you, so when you get older and you learn about that it starts to become less fun, but there are other things we can do that can still be fun"

Seems a shame to waste a smart girl's mind on stuffing it full of simple platitudes. What she doesn't get will go over her head and what she does might help her learn.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Dec 15, 2020

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

I mean personally I would tell her that her (grand)mother doesn't want her to know why but then I don't have any family with children that I want to stay attached to.

I suppose if you want to you could try and phrase it in a christian friendly way and say that the way people celebrate christmas isn't very christian but I dunno that might turn her into a raving tradcath.

Seems daft really, if the kid wants to know and you're not allowed to answer then what's the point?

If she is a bright child I don't think it will hurt her to learn complicated ideas like "there are better things in life than spending lots of money and a lot of people have to work hard so that your christmas presents get to you, so when you get older and you learn about that it starts to become less fun, but there are other things we can do that can still be fun"

Seems a shame to waste a smart girl's mind on stuffing it full of simple platitudes. What she doesn't get will go over her head and what she does might help her learn.

I think she could take it but maybe not when Xmas is in 10 days, I agree about the platitudes stuff.
Maybe I'll run with the Jedi Knight thing (seeing as that's what I put on my census form in 2001) or maybe brush up on humanism (which I've never really looked into either - I don't really feel the need to define/limit myself in these kind of ways).

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

*shrug* I think it is more in the interest of her parents than anything, I can't imagine a kid is likely to be introspective when they've got presents, parents probably just don't want to think about awkward questions.

Then again I can't remember believing in santa or ever being told there was no such thing so I dunno. Maybe some kids are very invested in it?

I dunno, i don't get lying to kids really, would rather break ideas down to things they can relate to and if it doesn't all stick so what?

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Dec 15, 2020

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

This sounds like the sort of thing where you could use some clever Socratic questioning to guide her towards some realisations on her own without actually telling her anything yourself.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

You could tell her that Christmas is mentioned nowhere in the Bible and is a pagan festival forced upon us by the Roman Pope if you prefer risking Wee Free to tradcath.

Also it's true. :ssh:

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Tell her how the Santa Claus story is a method of social control that parents use to coerce incurious children into being compliant.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
I'd go with truth that doesn't upset the applecart but gives lines for an enquiring mind to follow. Something like Jesus's birthday and Santa don't have anything to do with each other but have become so intertwined that I'm not happy celebrating Christmas. Can go further and mention that the Bible never says when Jesus was born, and that Christian theologians seem to think he was born in August or whenever.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

This Zoom call is a no-win situation. Don't do it. Whatever you do will inevitably a) piss off your sister b) confuse your niece c) make you feel like poo poo.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Necrothatcher posted:

This Zoom call is a no-win situation. Don't do it. Whatever you do will inevitably a) piss off your sister b) confuse your niece c) make you feel like poo poo.
Agreed. An insincere answer won't satisfy a perceptive child, could damage your relationship with her in the future, and will make you feel like poo poo. A sincere answer will piss off your sister, could interfere with your niece's enjoyment of Christmas, and will make you feel like poo poo.

The trouble is how to get out of it though, because saying no at this point would also probably piss off your sister, confuse your niece, and make you feel like poo poo. imo, this was an unfair situation for you to be put in - would a heartfelt chat about how you really don't want to upset anyone but genuinely can't think of what to say without treading on anyone's toes be enough to persuade sister/sister's kids to bail you out?

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

For overnight pondering:

My almost-5-year old great-niece wants to interview me on zoom as to why I don't celebrate christmas.

I'm under strict instructions from my sister (grandma to said child) that I'm not to disillusion her or tell her anything different to what she's learning at her (church) school.
So, I said to her, you mean without mentioning the stench of hypocrisy, the reek of capitalism and the pong of commercialization..... nor the pre-existing pagan festivals around the same time of year then?
No - none of that, she said.

As I don't have the option of saying "I'm a {name your religion here}" or "I'm a {name your Christian group that doesn't celebrate xmas eg the Wee Frees}", I'm at a bit of a loss what to say that isn't outright dishonest. There's only so much I can fob off with 'when you're a big girl ask me again'.
(This kid is very bright and remembers everything)

She wanted to do it this evening (Mon) but I managed to put it off til Wednesday evening. If anyone has any good ideas, more than happy to hear them. (I've got private message now if anyone doesn't want to disillusion the Believers in Santa ITT).

This is the time of year when I put my Bah Humbug hat on (which my sister gave me some years ago).

Put on some green face paint.

"I'm a Grinch!"

Problem solved within the confines of a capitalistic Christmas worldview. It might ruin your relationship with her though. :smith:

Edit: Or try to fake technical difficulties? Unplug your router or cover it in foil...

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

But Jaeluni, why don't you celebrate Christmas? :(

I used to hate it but have been getting back into the spirit this year. I love the tackiness of it, have been listening to Christmas music of my own free will now its not forced on me in public spaces and might even send Christmas cards this year. Yes its capitalistic and removed from various traditions and is an awful time for a lot of people, but on the other hand I quite like the smell of tinsel.

Maybe just talk about Christmases you've had and how people celebrate Christmas differently in other places, even if its just saying that other countries have their own Christmas songs? You don't need to mention different beliefs, but the idea that there are a plurarity of cultures around the world that celebrate Christmas is part and parcel of the idea of Santa flying around the world delivering presents and general black magic of Christmas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UVUW11FENs

though I was watching a documentary on youtube the other day about this very subject and they said Father Christmas doesn't exist so its a veritable minefield of Christmas disaster whatever approach there is. Can anyone else sit in on the call? I don't think you need to tell fibs, just frame it in a certain way (she is only 4 after all)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Necrothatcher posted:

Yeah this seems like a trap. I'm guessing your sister wants it to happen so she has an easy to swallow answer and drops it there, whereas refusing to answer will just make her more curious. Like when my dad wouldn't let me watch Robocop.