Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

Katsuma posted:

This is a bad take. There's a distinction to be made between depicting a world where racism and bigotry exist, and depicting a world in which the people within it are racist caricatures.

Sorry you have lost me, its ok to have a story set with backdrop racism and bigotry, so long as it never overtly presented or uses stereo types?

Look I really don't feel strongly I'm only making fun, I certainly don't mean to hate on any minorities, I don't think the game has set out to offend anyone or group, just make a fun game with crazy characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Katsuma posted:

It's painfully obvious that they have no trans people on staff, or, if they do, that the game's writers and designers at no point solicited their opinion on the trans experience and perspective. I'd hardly call that "trying."

Like, these are not hard problems to solve. LGBTQ+ people aren't esoteric alien beings that need to be deciphered accurately in order to avoid their curse, and I kind of hate that the discourse over bad representation always seems to go in that direction. They're people. If you want to try and include them in your game and do it appropriately and inoffensively, just loving find some and run your ideas and decisions by them. Do a google search. Ask around on Reddit. Try literally anything other than just basing their representation on a cis person's preconceived notions of what trans people are and care about.

A friendly reminder that CDPR is Poland-based, meaning it's in a country where the church is strong and in recent years tries to get more power and LGBTQ+ people (and abortions and more) more ostracized, in some cases leading to protests from hundreds of thousands of people. In September there was church sitting in Poland where they announced a plan to create specialized places where they want to "heal" homosexuals (yes, I know how laughable that sounds in 2020 TYOOL) and there are over one hundred (supposedly a third of the country, but I didn't look deeper into it) of self-proclaimed "LGBT-free zones" over the country. Admitting you're LGBTQ+ in Poland is still very iffy unless you're living in a very big town and even then might bring you problems. Wouldn't say it's impossible, but it's kinda... Texas or Alabama (still remember that Top gear US Special) level of possibility of coming out.

Even what we got in CP2077 kinda amazes me, considering some of their recent issues.

Sanya Juutilainen fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Dec 15, 2020

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Inacio posted:

Appreciation post, updated Hurston's trees, they now come in many shapes and sizes and with tessellation!

trees have tesselation
game is good

If only their artists could be coders with the same level of skill. That looks super good!

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

monkeytek posted:

I really want my AI to criticize my life choices and explain to me that its not too late to buy an Idris.

"Let's check out this F drive thing you have plugged in- what the gently caress is wrong with you??? Oh you're into that, huh?

Hmm. Yeah you disgust me. Go away."

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Popete posted:

So in a universe were you can simply respawn a ship out of the ether for no cost and with no explanation it's totally logical that you also have to wait 4 hours for it to happen. This is fidelity.

It's actually the timing they got from the real economy simulator they have had running for 6 years.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo
CIG: purveyors of next-level advanced NPC AI since, well someday probably.

NoMas
Oct 2, 2013

Man Moth!?
Cyberpunk is going to have its own dirty refundians

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
The reason why Citizen's benchmark and mainly deflect the woes of their game to other games that are actually released while it still goes through dev hell is simple : They need that assurance that "their game" is doing just fine.

But realistically its not. Its a reassurance for their ship purchases, they play a 60 dollar "finished - yet buggy" game to absolve themselves of the idiocy that they have jumped into which is Star Citizen.

CDPR tests a lot of waters, and the game is extremely ambitious. I've had some hilarious bugs where my V respawned (due to a crash) in the drivers seat with the NPC sitting there, so I could see through their eyeballs and and face. But the conversation continued, and I could still make the necessary decisions. It didn't break the game, it was just funny. Star Citizen is a technically broken mess and while C2077 is a completed game which is buggy, I've had another bugs where the RT reflections weren't correctly lit. Meaning when I looked into the reflections it reflected a brightly lit version of the room, it was jarring and you could see that a lot more work needs to be put into the polish.

There wasn't a bug where I died and woke up in Skyrim in my wankpod.

The game works and the quests work and so far there's no quest broken enough where a reload couldn't save it. It feels like CDPR bit more off than they could chew and the game still needs another 6 months of polish. It feels like a Beta / EA title at this point and plays fine for the most part.

I'm running the game on a ultrawide 3440x1440 monitor on a 2080Ti with an 8700K, RT Ultra with some settings dialed to medium. So far its been averaging between 50-70 fps with dips to 45 depending on the area, game is a technical accomplishment. Feels like how WItcher 3 crushed my 780Ti all those years ago (remember hairworks? lol)

Shitizens continue to give me laughs because of their hardcore ethic to continue to support CIG. Even when there's no game being delivered. Star Citizen is basically a clone of DCS at this point where you're buying in cause the ships are cool (DCS is good though).

Buy an Idris.

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007
For All Brave Silpheed Pilots

DigitalPenny posted:

Sorry you have lost me, its ok to have a story set with backdrop racism and bigotry, so long as it never overtly presented or uses stereo types?

Look I really don't feel strongly I'm only making fun, I certainly don't mean to hate on any minorities, I don't think the game has set out to offend anyone or group, just make a fun game with crazy characters.

No, that's not what I'm saying. What I'm trying to say is that there is a big difference between making a piece of literature that is about prejudice, in which examples of bigotry and stereotyping and harmful attitudes exist in-universe, and making a piece of literature which directly plays into those stereotypes and harmful attitudes.

Depicting a world in which bigotry exists and stereotyping is used to marginalize people is fine. Depicting a world in which characters are stereotypical caricatures is, well...

And lots of examples of racism and x-phobias in media are unintentional, and stem from unconscious biases and ingrained cultural predispositions that many people aren't even aware of. But, just because someone didn't intend to cause harm, doesn't mean they didn't cause harm, and it doesn't mean that it shouldn't be called out or that people shouldn't demand better.

Star Citizen is pretty guilty of this too. Pretty much every alien race they've written is some bundle of outdated racist assumptions about one group of real people or other, from the Vanduul(colonial era conceptions of 'savage races'), to the Tevarin (incomplete western ideas of 'honorable samurai warriors'), and so on. I don't think the Star Citizen writers intended to be gross about this sort of thing, but they do demonstrate a horrible lack of self-awareness about their own ingrained prejudices and cultural biases, not to mention a terrible lack of imagination. And it all comes from a foundational supremacist mindset. Humans Good, Aliens Bad is pretty much as regressive and fashy as you can get in sci-fi writing.

Valcione fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Dec 15, 2020

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

E: I was asking for people to move the CP2077 argument to the other thread but on consideration actually you know what I think it's a fine argument to have, and I don't really have a dog in the fight. Not like there's a lot of CIG news to laugh at.

I will say for the most part I have not been terribly uncomfortable with CP2077's depiction of race, and it seems about as sexually liberal as any other RPG these days, i.e. you can play a LGBT character and nobody's really going to give you grief for it, or really note it at all. If there are bad stereotypes I haven't encountered them but I will not dispute the evidence of people who say they've spotted them. There's definitely a bit of discomfort with queerness in Witcher 3 and I wouldn't be surprised if it had crept in here.

Sarsapariller fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Dec 15, 2020

RearmingStrafbomber
Jan 29, 2009

1-1-2029, tonight the stars are shining bright
I feel like we didn't underscore enough, that when the game destroys your chariot, you now get to sit on your hands for literal hours, or pay tens of thousands of credits (1000 credits = $1 US) to cut that time down. Zyloh and Skelting explicitly state this is part of the cash shop-centric economic model, and "finding the sweet spot between supporting a live service and testing is a hot topic internally." This feels more egregious than normal I don't know

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.

DigitalPenny posted:

You're missing the forest for the trees. It's not just that the content exists, but also the context, how it is used and the decisions that went into including it. Like you don't get a big check for putting transgender characters in your game or enabling their creation as a player avatar (Saints Row 2 did it so much better), that doesn't inherently make your game progressive and earn you bragging rights. If you then portray these characters as empty stereotypes or with otherwise no thought, it's still just as dehumanising. It's just using maligned people as decoration, and also potentially being very insensitive in the way you focus on them.

You can't just include examples of shittiness and say "real life is also lovely, it's true to life" because you're still choosing to use terrible content when you could make another decision and you're still choosing to represent real people by proxy in this way. You can write other things and put them in your art, you can empower these characters and give them retribution, you can validate them as people and not just as set dressing or a way to give your work some edginess and grit.

The example that I saw was a typically feminine model on a poster who has the clear definition of a massive erect cock in their leotard. Haha, see, it's funny because the otherwise normal female fashion model has a visible dick, unlike most female fashion models, what a good joke this is, everyone laugh. And we used the tagline "mix it up" as part of that in-game poster, that's definitely funny and not at all dismissive of peoples entire identities. That's how you as a developer writer or artist want to represent trans people, with this image? You don't think they feel belittled by this worthless, tired-as-gently caress portrayal?

This stereotypical hypersexualised fetishisation isn't a fair representation of people because, even though it might actually be a possible image a hypersexualised advert or fashion industry might use in a fictional and more open future, it's also a loving ridiculous stereotype in the here and now, which means using it in our current day can be quite hurtful. So it's an avenue to deliver hate with, and if there are better options that don't involve using it then they should have been taken instead. It's like how you don't nonchalantly blast your game full of racist slurs, when those words have a lot of inherent hate and venom associated with them because we do not currently live in a peaceful post-racial society. And you don't portray black people by having a blackface character stumble into scene to make jokes about eating fried chicken and so on.

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007
For All Brave Silpheed Pilots

TheDarkFlame posted:

You're missing the forest for the trees. It's not just that the content exists, but also the context, how it is used and the decisions that went into including it. Like you don't get a big check for putting transgender characters in your game or enabling their creation as a player avatar (Saints Row 2 did it so much better), that doesn't inherently make your game progressive and earn you bragging rights. If you then portray these characters as empty stereotypes or with otherwise no thought, it's still just as dehumanising. It's just using maligned people as decoration, and also potentially being very insensitive in the way you focus on them.

You can't just include examples of shittiness and say "real life is also lovely, it's true to life" because you're still choosing to use terrible content when you could make another decision and you're still choosing to represent real people by proxy in this way. You can write other things and put them in your art, you can empower these characters and give them retribution, you can validate them as people and not just as set dressing or a way to give your work some edginess and grit.

The example that I saw was a typically feminine model on a poster who has the clear definition of a massive erect cock in their leotard. Haha, see, it's funny because the otherwise normal female fashion model has a visible dick, unlike most female fashion models, what a good joke this is, everyone laugh. And we used the tagline "mix it up" as part of that in-game poster, that's definitely funny and not at all dismissive of peoples entire identities. That's how you as a developer writer or artist want to represent trans people, with this image? You don't think they feel belittled by this worthless, tired-as-gently caress portrayal?

This stereotypical hypersexualised fetishisation isn't a fair representation of people because, even though it might actually be a possible image a hypersexualised advert or fashion industry might use in a fictional and more open future, it's also a loving ridiculous stereotype in the here and now, which means using it in our current day can be quite hurtful. So it's an avenue to deliver hate with, and if there are better options that don't involve using it then they should have been taken instead. It's like how you don't nonchalantly blast your game full of racist slurs, when those words have a lot of inherent hate and venom associated with them because we do not currently live in a peaceful post-racial society. And you don't portray black people by having a blackface character stumble into scene to make jokes about eating fried chicken and so on.

Thanks, that was way more eloquent and comprehensive than I could manage.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Sarsapariller posted:

E: I was asking for people to move the CP2077 argument to the other thread but on consideration actually you know what I think it's a fine argument to have, and I don't really have a dog in the fight. Not like there's a lot of CIG news to laugh at.

The main argument to be had, actually is the one where Star Citizen saves PC gaming. Also Cyberpunk was developed and delivered during the development timeframe of Star Citizen. Given how the game is completely crushing the best of our PC's its even more funny how bad Star Citizen is with their empty world and high fidelity chariots averaging 40 fps on the same rigs.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/TatteredSoftGiraffe-mobile.mp4

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

RearmingStrafbomber posted:

I feel like we didn't underscore enough, that when the game destroys your chariot, you now get to sit on your hands for literal hours, or pay tens of thousands of credits (1000 credits = $1 US) to cut that time down. Zyloh and Skelting explicitly state this is part of the cash shop-centric economic model, and "finding the sweet spot between supporting a live service and testing is a hot topic internally." This feels more egregious than normal I don't know

The same brainworms seem to infect the game designers for every space economy game, honestly. Elite, X4, Star Citizen- they all seem to think that the best possible gameplay is the kind where you sit on your rear end for three to four hours while your numbers go up. And they all get really really angry when players find ways to shortcut the process and skip straight to the "Fun" parts. It seems pretty universal to the breed. The excuse they make is that it's supposed to be more thrilling if your death has meaning, if you stand to lose tens of hours or whatever, but reality has shown over and over again that death in these games comes just as fast as it would in any other shooter, so there's no actual time to think fast and "Narrowly escape" and actually it's just the same capricious restart because you were in the wrong place at the wrong time as every other game but now with a huge added kick in the testicles. Yet these mechanics persist. Why?

The reality is that these gamedevs are the exact same guys who post on game forums about how every game would be better if you had to eat and poo poo and drive 45 minutes to work, just like in real life. At some point they did not develop the twitch reflexes necessary to keep up in Overwatch or whatever shooter, and they consoled themselves by abandoning good games for sims, but then they were not smart enough or dedicated enough to master the systems behind actual jet aircraft, so that didn't work out either. They could still play RPG's because those basically have no failure condition, but you can't swing your dick at someone about how good you are at Baldur's Gate. That leaves MMO's, the only games that basically reward you for hours played, regardless of skill. They still wanted to think of themselves as elite gamers, so they ended up chasing game after game, demanding more reliance on the one thing that they can do that sets them apart- enduring tedium.

Eventually some of these dipshits become game designers, and they begin implementing these systems into games, and they all suck monumentally. But they suck in the exact way that drives off everyone who is looking for deep gameplay, or skill-based gameplay, or a compelling story. The tedium-suckers end up dominant at last. Ultimately the games die of course because they are tremendously bad and generate no interest or revenue. The forum version of the tedium parasites move on to the next project and begin their calls for fully realized bowel movements and deep-vein thrombosis sliders anew. The gamedev versions splinter off into ever more indie studios, convinced that if they tweak things just right, they will discover the magical formula that made the boredom of their old MMO's so compelling.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Sarsapariller posted:

I will say for the most part I have not been terribly uncomfortable with CP2077's depiction of race, and it seems about as sexually liberal as any other RPG these days, i.e. you can play a LGBT character and nobody's really going to give you grief for it, or really note it at all. If there are bad stereotypes I haven't encountered them but I will not dispute the evidence of people who say they've spotted them. There's definitely a bit of discomfort with queerness in Witcher 3 and I wouldn't be surprised if it had crept in here.

One of the major things with Cyberpunk has been their use and depiction of trans and nonbinary people throughout. Tying the character's pronouns to whether their voice sounds "masculine" or "feminine" is a pretty hosed way to go about things, given how much poo poo trans and nb people catch about whether or not their voice "matches" their perceived or stated gender. They also did other weird poo poo like prominently featuring this ad early on in their marketing:

which is... rough. Now, when they caught hell for it, CDPR said that that kind of objectification and commodification is "what you're fighting against" and that may be true but I haven't really gotten far enough to judge and even if that's true it still doesn't stop using it in primary marketing from being lovely as hell. While it's true that the commodification of humanity is a relevant theme in cyberpunk works, this kind of seemed like going out of their way to strip the humanity of trans people. There are a lot of other themes that go along with the cyberpunk genre, some more uplifting than others. Questions like what it means to be human, to transcend humanity, and what happens when the same grinding capitalist systems that are making life miserable for millions of people today get a jolt of rocket fuel with the continued technological advancement of mankind are all super relevant to the cyberpunk genre and it's pretty disappointing that they chose to lead off their marketing with something that basically boils down to "haha but what if Pepsi tried to commodify your gender."

This isn't an argument so much as just some additional background information into the ways CP2077 is kinda lovely, and honestly I'm just now noticing TheDarkFlame wrote all of this better than I ever could so uhhh thanks for coming to my ted talk I guess.

Gravity_Storm
Mar 1, 2016

there are some genres of game that I just won't buy.

- turn based combat / anything with hexagons on the floor
- anything with a food and drink meter

its meant to be a game... i mean... i stop playing to grab some food and drink, and then have to do food and drink again on my spaceman? and then is it my turn for food and drink again? and then is spaceman hungry again? no.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
Not sure if this thread has just put the blinders on me or what, but I think it's bizarre that Shitizens are so obsessed with Cyberpunk as the current great enemy. It's some real 1984 poo poo up in r/StarCitizen, where 2077 is the new Elite: Dangerous, and always has been.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

cmdrk posted:

Not sure if this thread has just put the blinders on me or what, but I think it's bizarre that Shitizens are so obsessed with Cyberpunk as the current great enemy. It's some real 1984 poo poo up in r/StarCitizen, where 2077 is the new Elite: Dangerous, and always has been.

It's really weird, yes, but it makes a certain amount of sense if you think about it like an absolute idiot. Cyberpunk had a huge amount of pre-release hype. It has also been in development for half of loving forever. So you've got a game with a long dev time that people keep crowing is going to "revolutionize gaming" (lol) and fans are rabidly defending before it even comes out. Sound familiar? Cyberpunk is literally just mirror-world Star Citizen, except it managed to actually fart its way to a release - which is actually another huge sticking point because for years now one of the main defenses of Star Citizen has been "This is just how long it takes to make a great game." You know, the kind of insane bullshit we've been making fun of for years:

Well, Cyberpunk was a huge target of that. "It was announced the same year as Star Citizen! And it's already an established developer! etc." So, Cyberpunk releases, gets (at least initially) some glowing reviews (no doubt thanks in large part to the rabid fanbase), draws attention to itself, and naturally becomes the enemy.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
I think people not liking a game for glitches and bugs is cool and good. gently caress CDPR for not cleaning it up. I don’t care at all because C2077 is still good.

I think sometimes people dive into the racism/transphobia/whatever else stuff without examining what something was really saying about it. That being said I’m privileged so my opinion on it isn’t really worth a lot because I don’t have to experience what that does to someone who is marginalized.

The biggest thing thats stuck out to me that I’ve seen is people bitching about immersion. I have no idea who gets immersed in video games, but I 1000% cringe when I see it cause of this thread now. I’m assuming there were a bunch of people hoping for a life simulator instead of a video game

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
Like the game is $60. How much more immersive is it going to be then literally anything else holy poo poo

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

i am a moron posted:

Like the game is $60. How much more immersive is it going to be then literally anything else holy poo poo

therefore being $15,000 deep in Star Citizen means that it 250x more like real life than Cyberpunk, QED.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

i am a moron posted:

The biggest thing thats stuck out to me that I’ve seen is people bitching about immersion. I have no idea who gets immersed in video games, but I 1000% cringe when I see it cause of this thread now. I’m assuming there were a bunch of people hoping for a life simulator instead of a video game

Citizens have ruined the term. Realistically it can mean any game that you tend to forget how long you've been playing, or wind up having emotional reaction in tandem with what you'd expect your controlled character to experience. If you've been genuinely creeped out playing Amnesia or Thief, or laughed at a funny conversation between two guards you're sneaking up on, or subconsciously held your breath while playing Subnautica, or had that fist-balling moment of fury in Bioshock Infinite during that first scene where the curtain falls on the "utopia" you've landed in, you've experienced immersion.

X-ray vision in shooter games would be a good example of something breaking immersion, unless that vision is part of a superpower you have in-game. It makes the moments of surprise being flanked by guards in Fear into "ok there are all 5 guys and where their vision cones are facing, here's how I'll take them out." The second approach might be more zen, but the first keeps you as on your toes as you would be if you were in that situation for real.

To Chris Roberts, immersion is "hey what I'm seeing on my monitor reminds me of scene X from movie Y." He may be the worst developer who's ever lived when it comes to understanding what a game even is, and immersion is the one thing he'll never, ever get even remotely close to. His decisions are always 180 degrees in the opposite direction.

It's really a kind of category more than anything, not something games should strive for just to tick a box.

Good games that are not immersive: Pac-Man, X-Com, Starcraft, Diablo, any card or board game
Good games that have some level of immersion: Deus-ex, Bioshock, Amnesia, Outlast, many VR games by design
Game elements that take what would be an immersive game and totally eliminate it with prejudice: Quicktime events, in-game cutscenes where you lose control of your character and something that happens to you is something you could have handled if you were controlling poo poo, forced animations to open doors/climb ladders/etc. unless they are less than a second long

That last section is where "immersive" games and "cinematic" games butt heads. At some point you have to decide if you're making a game or a movie. You can't do both.

Scruffpuff fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Dec 15, 2020

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Sarsapariller posted:

The same brainworms seem to infect the game designers for every space economy game, honestly. Elite, X4, Star Citizen- they all seem to think that the best possible gameplay is the kind where you sit on your rear end for three to four hours while your numbers go up. And they all get really really angry when players find ways to shortcut the process and skip straight to the "Fun" parts. It seems pretty universal to the breed. The excuse they make is that it's supposed to be more thrilling if your death has meaning, if you stand to lose tens of hours or whatever, but reality has shown over and over again that death in these games comes just as fast as it would in any other shooter, so there's no actual time to think fast and "Narrowly escape" and actually it's just the same capricious restart because you were in the wrong place at the wrong time as every other game but now with a huge added kick in the testicles. Yet these mechanics persist. Why?

Because that sort of space game is a relic of a bygone era. There is a reason the genre pretty much disappeared for a while and it's now niche.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Scruffpuff posted:

Citizens have ruined the term. Realistically it can mean any game that you tend to forget how long you've been playing, or wind up having emotional reaction in tandem with what you'd expect your controlled character to experience. If you've been genuinely creeped out playing Amnesia or Thief, or laughed at a funny conversation between two guards you're sneaking up on, or subconsciously held your breath while playing Subnautica, or had that fist-balling moment of fury in Bioshock Infinite during that first scene where the curtain falls on the "utopia" you've landed in, you've experienced immersion.

X-ray vision in shooter games would be a good example of something breaking immersion, unless that vision is part of a superpower you have in-game. It makes the moments of surprise being flanked by guards in Fear into "ok there are all 5 guys and where their vision cones are facing, here's how I'll take them out." The second approach might be more zen, but the first keeps you as on your toes as you would be if you were in that situation for real.

To Chris Roberts, immersion is "hey what I'm seeing on my monitor reminds me of scene X from movie Y." He may be the worst developer who's ever lived when it comes to understanding what a game even is, and immersion is the one thing he'll never, ever get even remotely close to. His decisions are always 180 degrees in the opposite direction.

It's really a kind of category more than anything, not something games should strive for just to tick a box.

Good games that are not immersive: Pac-Man, X-Com, Starcraft, Diablo, any card or board game
Good games that have some level of immersion: Deus-ex, Bioshock, Amnesia, Outlast, many VR games by design
Game elements that take what would be an immersive game and totally eliminate it with prejudice: Quicktime events, in-game cutscenes where you lose control of your character and something that happens to you is something you could have handled if you were controlling poo poo, forced animations to open doors/climb ladders/etc. unless they are less than a second long

That last section is where "immersive" games and "cinematic" games butt heads. At some point you have to decide if you're making a game or a movie. You can't do both.

Immersion is entirely in your head and the only thing a game really needs to do for someone to have an easier time being immersed is to be good.

Hell, I play old-rear end ASCII roguelikes (and I didn't play them before 2001 or so, so it's not a nostalgia thing) and those can be immersive enough for you to have your heart jump when you see a 'D' right around the corner. The goddamn Doom roguelike is immersive as all gently caress and it's just an abstract representation of Doom of all things. Yes, you're that @ and you're going to rip and tear those demons and cover the walls with their huge guts.

see?

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

L. Ron Hoover
Nov 9, 2009
I'm sorry, but there is just not enough fidelity in your immersion, checkmate fudsters.

I have to admit many games could still go further with immersion, but at some point I've just gotten used to things that are "gamey" and just accept them. The thing that used to bother me is storylines where there is an urgent pressing matter that needs your attention RIGHT NOW, but go ahead and do a bunch of sidequests where you travel the world fetching things forever. The Witcher 3 comes to mind, but I basically said gently caress it, I would rather have the freedom to do a bunch of stuff when I want than have the time pressure actually realistically impinge on what I'm doing. I guess they call that ludonarrative dissonance, and it's everywhere.

What's funny is, Far Cry 5 sorta had a thing where it would force you into a mission wherever you were in the world, because you hit a certain level of influence, and I hated it. Totally ruined the freedom aspect. So yeah, I guess what I'm saying is the "realism" based immersion is always gonna have limits to make a game fun, the "immersion" of just being in a flow state with a really good game is what I'm looking for.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

All the crazy arguments fall back in the end to a very specific and real anchor, the pledge counter.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

TheAgent posted:

I have no standards and I'm not afraid to admit it

I mean I played fo76 and nms on release

but I'm still not fuckin dumb enough to buy into star citizen lol
Jokes on you. My standards are even lower. I'm picking up Squadron 43 if it comes to console.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Cyberpunk 2077 being the new "big enemy" for Star Citizen backers makes sense. It's a trend I'd noticed when I followed this back 4-5 years ago, but there was always some narrative being played up by backers about "enemies" to Star Citizen. First it was Elite, then it was Derek Smart, people who got refunds, games media, etc. Communities like this always need an external "other" to focus on as a threat to keep a sense of unity, otherwise the barely tangible mess that Star Citizen is wouldn't be enough to keep them together.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

I saw that ad tonight, running around the city. On the one hand: this is a game where all the ads and most of the quests are really sleazy and bleak, so it fits right in with the atmosphere. On the other hand: it is a pretty lovely thing to use marginalized people as part of your general set-dressing of "Boy isn't this gross and weird?" I wouldn't go so far as to condemn the whole game over it, but it's definitely a negative. I'm kind of surprised that people aren't more taken aback by the whole portion of the game that involves The dolls, or the creepy sex doctor, or the gangsters making rape and snuff videos and releasing recordings from the victim's perspectives. But I guess that's because the game clearly beats you over the head with them being bad guys, or that it's harder to nit-pick any one screenshot as being problematic? I don't know. I think cyberpunk has always loaded up on a big serving of that stuff, but after spending like 6 hours on it tonight I'm really ready to get back to raiding corpos or whatever. Video games should be careful with how much human ugliness they take onto themselves, if they don't have anything interesting to say about it.

Sarsapariller fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Dec 15, 2020

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
In a world where its normal to mess with your penis or vagina that ad seems out of place. Like, it would be like having a saucy ad of some lady showing her ankles to sell energy drinks in 2020's New York. Scandalous!

Instead they could have that same ad but with a sexy/weird half-cyborg model, it seems like that would what brings attention to your ad in the Cyberpunk setting. In that art book that somebody posted before they even have celebrities that have modified their features to look alien, that's the sorta thing they could have gone for instead.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

I guess I’m loathe to get my pitchfork out over the intricacies of representation, when the game in question was made in a country in which LGBTQ people are under attack by the government and in real physical danger.

That being said, anytime a CDPR game deals with these issues it always seems like there is sort of a good intention behind it, but they are at least a decade behind the norms of most of the West. I remember how cringey the cross dressing elf was in TW3. It felt 90’s citcom level patronizing. Like you’re supposed to think he’s a *gasp GAY perv and Dandelion by association, but the game has to stop and give you an after school lesson on crossdressing and tell you it’s ok because for this one dude it’s not a sexual thing, and you can relax now because he’s not gay and neither is Dandelion.

But in the end, I have to consider that these games are coming from an ultra-conservative country in Eastern Europe, so this is probably the best that they can do. I’m not going to jump down their throats.

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Dec 15, 2020

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Would Star Citizen represent LGBTQ?

Would backers want such a thing?

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

trucutru posted:

In a world where its normal to mess with your penis or vagina that ad seems out of place. Like, it would be like having a saucy ad of some lady showing her ankles to sell energy drinks in 2020's New York. Scandalous!

Instead they could have that same ad but with a sexy/weird half-cyborg model, it seems like that would what brings attention to your ad in the Cyberpunk setting. In that art book that somebody posted before they even have celebrities that have modified their features to look alien, that's the sorta thing they could have gone for instead.

How do we know it's not a weird half-cyborg model, though?

Tbh I find that ad in place "exactly because" it's normal to mess with your sexparts. We didn't have smoking ads before it was normalized and now that they are becoming uncool, they are slowly disappearing again. It's only stuff that's currently used and cool enough that gets ads, and this seems to fit that world's criteria.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

trucutru posted:

Immersion is entirely in your head and the only thing a game really needs to do for someone to have an easier time being immersed is to be good.

Hell, I play old-rear end ASCII roguelikes (and I didn't play them before 2001 or so, so it's not a nostalgia thing) and those can be immersive enough for you to have your heart jump when you see a 'D' right around the corner. The goddamn Doom roguelike is immersive as all gently caress and it's just an abstract representation of Doom of all things. Yes, you're that @ and you're going to rip and tear those demons and cover the walls with their huge guts.

see?

I see it so clearly...

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Looks like we have our first Theaters of War Champion even before its release! ToW must be imminent, get ready and buy your Idris!

quote:

I just don't get it... Look at these, you'd think they come from two very different games. (literally)

I am a HUGE fps player in Star Citizen: Theaters of War Champion, an avid Star Marine player.... and I just don't or understand who they are listening too when it comes to implementing skill-less addons like markers for ammo and health stations? Part of the skill in the game was learning where they are and making your way to them.
Even the PU (PTU) is becoming a marker-ridden mess.... flying over Port Olisar and you're greeted with about 84 different markers all over the screen.

I don't know how many of you follow what I'm saying here but I think we need less HUD clutter, not more. OR at least the ability to turn off all this HUD rubbish.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

colonelwest posted:

But in the end, I have to consider that these games are coming from an ultra-conservative country in Eastern Europe, so this is probably the best that they can do. I’m not going to jump down their throats.
As a side note, I would like to know reaction of Polish catholic priests to Cyberpunk, but I guess they're still busy burning Harry Potter books and Hello Kitty umbrellas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

:frog:

A bit late, but I finally realized why I like the design of this ship. Reminds me of the kind of design you'd see in Zone of the Enders (and that had some cool lookin mech dudes).