Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

My enjoyment of christmas went up alot% when I decided I wasn't going to put myself through the torture of spending several days with my unpleasant father, and basically have a nice day off at home with my girlfriend, with a bit nicer food than usual.

Such a waste of the days off for many years when I went and endured poo poo opinions and disapproval.

Getting heckin big nowadays

knox_harrington fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Dec 15, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

https://twitter.com/OwenJones84/status/1338825623473680385?s=19

Curious. It's almost like this was her goal all along. :iiam:

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

I normally prefer to do Christmas with friends but I do miss my family gatherings this year.

Archaeology Hat
Aug 10, 2009

therattle posted:

I'm Jewish. We have had gatherings of friends on/around Xmas and it's nice but the day itself has zero significance.

Every one of my family's Christmas traditions comes from the Jewish side of the family. Why they have these traditions I don't know but I suspect it's to do with my great grandfather being a notably weird man.

Though it helps that my dad's family are dour Scottish protestants of the not into Christmas kind.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
I celebrate Overture Day on 18th December and Rush Day on 21st December.

Tchaikovsky looks a bit like Ceremy Jorbyn don't you think?
(This is the theme to the end of V for Vendetta for those without the benefit of a classical education).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2W1Wi2U9sQ

Attention all planets of the solar federation: We have assumed Control. We have assumed Control.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyxvOHwdFPA

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Comrade Fakename posted:

Christmas is a collection of ancient pagan religious festivals that have been defunct for many centuries and has been co-opted by modern society into a non-religious excuse to, again, have a party in the winter. All the Christians managed to do is staple a name onto it. Incidentally, Easter is exactly the same thing in the spring, but the Christians didn't even manage to get the name for that one.
Yeah I know the Christmas one is almost certainly true to the extent that nobody even has any alternative proposition anymore, but, uh... what?

I'm pretty sure Easter has something to do with an actual biblical narrative. One that can be tied down pretty firmly, date-wise, by reference to Passover.

Of course it's got a load of poo poo associate with it from non-Christian cultures (e.g., the name) but Easter is the big one for practicing Christians, Christmas is just food-and-presents-day

escapegoat
Aug 18, 2013

TACD posted:

Thread is rapidly accelerating towards Festivus :siren:

Turns out when you google Festivus you get a nice little Easter (Ēostre?) egg.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

This year is the first Christmas that my partner and I are celebrating by ourselves and the only turkeys I could find anywhere were large and expensive.

Ended up buying a duck in the end, cheaper and will probably still get a couple of dinners out of it. Planning to honey roast it so should be quite nice.

Tesco has whole lobsters going for £7 each which I’ve never had before and it’s really tempting to try. I’ve spent £7 on worse things before.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

stev posted:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Tchaikovsky looks a bit like Ceremy Jorbyn don't you think?
More proof of his antisemitism.

Borrovan posted:

Yeah I know the Christmas one is almost certainly true to the extent that nobody even has any alternative proposition anymore, but, uh... what?

I'm pretty sure Easter has something to do with an actual biblical narrative. One that can be tied down pretty firmly, date-wise, by reference to Passover.

Of course it's got a load of poo poo associate with it from non-Christian cultures (e.g., the name) but Easter is the big one for practicing Christians, Christmas is just food-and-presents-day
There's two Easter's, one which has the narrative of the ending of Lent, the Risen Lord, processions, candles, and ritual, and one which has chocolate eggs delivered by a rabbit. They only rarely intersect.

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

big believer in the meaning of the krampus

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Hell of a lot of pressure on the Tories to cancel Christmas now, from the BMJ, HSJ, head of the doctors union, even loving Keir Starmer.

I guess unless they literally have tanks on the motorways or something, everyone would ignore it though. People are planning on taking the piss even now - a lady I work with was telling me that she was having 2x households round to hers on Xmas eve-Xmas morning, and then another 2x sets of families on Xmas afternoon-Boxing Day. And apparently that's fine because there will be no more than three households there at any one time. I said that I didn't realise you were actually allowed to mix with a potentially infinite number of households as long as it was only three at a time, but... we're colleagues, and I didn't labour the point.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

stev posted:

pinknews.co.uk posted:

Notorious British anti-trans columnist Julie Burchill says that using cocaine every day for three decades caused her no “lasting damage”.

:thunk:

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

The Perfect Element posted:

Hell of a lot of pressure on the Tories to cancel Christmas now, from the BMJ, HSJ, head of the doctors union, even loving Keir Starmer.

i think you can only expect people to deny themselves some small joy for so long. lots of people are at the end of their rope and just want 1 or 2 days where they can be merry and vibe.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Borrovan posted:

Easter, just like Christmas, is a mish-mash of ancient pagan fertility celebrations, so much so that it is literally named after the pagan fertility god Oestre (as in oestrogen). All the signifiers of Easter - eggs, bunny rabbits, green fields - have nothing to do with Christian symbology (beyond an after-the-fact rationalisation that it's something to do with "rebirth" or whatever). Christians have a better excuse for the date, but it barely effects the actual celebration.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

Darth Walrus posted:

Anyone tried the Irish cream? I haven't yet, but 'alcoholic and creamy' just seems like such an obviously successful fudge flavour.

Oh god a white russian flavour fudge...

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

e: ^^^^^yes please

Lord Ludikrous posted:

Tesco has whole lobsters going for £7 each which I’ve never had before and it’s really tempting to try. I’ve spent £7 on worse things before.
We had a couple of cheap frozen lobsters a while ago, they were good. Get a French stick, make some clarified butter with garlic & parsley in for dipping, just get stuck in & make a mess. We're gonna try fresh ones at some point over Christmas.

My advice is to buy a third lobster: the tails & claws are really good, the rest is kind of a faff, but you can boil it all up to make a real tasty stock for bisque or chowder. The third lobster comes in because it would have been nice to have a bit more of the waste-parts to make slightly more stock, and also an extra tail & claws to go in the chowder.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

I'm sharing this because as any fule kno, islamaphobic idiots will start saying the virus is all because of muslims not getting vaccinated. (Much as they tried to claim the govt wasn't doing anything to stop muslims meeting in mosques despite the muslim council for Britain stopping congregational activities several days BEFORE the C of E decided likewise!)

Fatwa on taking the covid-19 vaccine:

https://www.amjaonline.org/fatwa/en/87763/the-ruling-on-getting-the-covid-19-coronavirus-vaccine

quote:

Fatwa ID: 87763
Title: The Ruling on Getting the COVID-19 (Coronavirus) Vaccine
Category: Varieties
Scholar: AMJA Resident Fatwa Committee
Date: 12/13/2020
Question
What is the ruling on getting the COVID-19 (Coronavirus) vaccine?

Answer
All Praise be to Allah, and may His Blessings and Peace Be on His Messenger

Before addressing the particulars of this matter, it is warranted to mention some of the universals and maxims that govern it, including:

The preservation of life is of the highest objectives of Sharia; for it, Allah has permitted, for someone who is compelled, the consumption of carcasses and even the utterance of words of disbelief.
Trivial things are excused, and we have been forbidden from being overly technical.
Allah wants ease for His servants, not hardship, and He loves that His servants avail themselves of His concessions; sometimes, using them is preferable or even obligatory. Disease (or fear of it) warrants the making of concessions.
Using a forbidden substance, other than pure alcoholic beverage, as medicine, is permissible according to the majority, if it is the sole effective treatment. The vast majority of contemporary scholars adopt this position because of the clear benefits in modern medicines that approach certainty at times.
What is likelier is treated like what is certain, and what is imminent is treated like what is present. This means that that which is likely to happen is given some of the rulings and concessions of that which is present.
The basis of judgment in the matters of medicine is probability, not certainty, which is unattainable in most cases. There is no blame on physicians and researchers when they base their judgments on the greater likelihood. Al-Mardawy (Allah bestow mercy on him) said, “Where we accept the judgment of the physician, then [acting on] the greater likelihood is sufficient, according to the correct position in the madhhab.”
In general, when conflicting benefits and harms are intermixed, what is warranted is to procure the greater good and repel the greater harm. If some limited side effects are encountered with a particular medicine, they should be overlooked, if the medicine’s benefits outweigh the harms.
Concerning the particular issue of the COVID-19 vaccine, it is a matter of great importance that goes beyond the interests of individuals to communal ones, and the community is represented in this respect by its public health institutions. It is known that the pandemic has, so far, affected over seventy million people worldwide and caused the deaths of more than one and half million of them. There is no way to stop this pandemic except by reaching herd immunity, which requires that around 70% of the people have immunity. This can be achieved through one of two ways:

Allowing the infection to spread among the people without curtailing it
Vaccinating people against the virus
The first way does not conform with the Sharia, because it risks the lives of people, particularly the weak, which is in direct conflict with the intent of the legislator with regard to preserving all human lives. Its harms go beyond the realm of public health to affect people’s worship and livelihood and other aspects of their lives. (“There should be no harm and no reciprocation of harm.”)

The second way is through vaccination, which is congruent with the Sharia and reason. The permissibility of taking medicine to repel an existing disease or prevent an expected one is a matter of consensus among the people of knowledge. The point of contention is whether it is obligatory or not, and various fiqh councils have addressed this matter in detail, and one of the cases where taking medicine is obligatory is when the disease may harm others. This may apply to the case of COVID-19, which is extremely contagious.

As for the problems of production, about which some have said that it might be done through cultivating the viruses in fetal or porcine cells (or producing their proteins therefrom), here is the answer to this reservation:

The COVID-19 vaccines produced by Pfizer and Moderna, which will be soon available, do not rely on such technologies, and thus, there is no reason to doubt their permissibility because of this concern.

As for the COVID-19 vaccine produced by AstraZeneca, "the virus is grown in a cell line that has grown in a laboratory for more than 40 years and not directly in fetal tissue." Those cells have come from aborted fetuses in 1972. This vaccine is not currently available. Despite that, the permissibility of using human organs and cells, with certain conditions, is the position of the majority of Muslim scholars and fiqh councils. Of course, it is forbidden to abort fetuses for this purpose, and of course, parental consent must be obtained before using any part of an aborted fetus.

As for the possibility of cultivating some viruses in porcine cells (if such is in fact taking place), the vaccine would usually have none of the cellular parts, but only cultivated in them. This makes the “najasah” (impurity) here happen only by proximity (mujawarah), in addition to being microscopic, and trivial things of this nature should be excused, particularly when the matter is about the necessity of protecting the people from this disastrous pandemic. If the porcine cells will be directed through mRNA to produce the proteins that resemble those of the virus, then such vaccine should not be used in the presence of alternatives. It is also impermissible, in the presence of alternatives, for Muslim scientists, to use porcine ingredients for such purposes, whether for the cultivation of viruses or production of its proteins.

As for the suggested risks of the vaccines, it must be stressed here that the Resident Fatwa Committee of AMJA is not the entity that should opine on this matter, but rather the experts in the public health agencies. In our assessment, some of those risks are nothing more than unfounded rumors, and some are plausible. However, here are some noteworthy considerations:

The approval of such vaccines is not a decision that is left to one person or company, but is conducted by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and similar agencies in other countries, and they follow stringent practices that consider the risk-benefit ratio, which is congruent with the principles of Sharia.

AMJA was also informed by trustworthy Muslim physicians that the Pfizer vaccine that has now been approved by the FDA has been studied on 40,000 participants (20,000 of them received the actual vaccines), and for more than two months, none of them had serious side effects. This surpasses the needed numbers for such trials and for a period that exceeds the period in which serious side effects usually take place. It must be said, though, that such numbers and duration may not be sufficient to rule out the possibility of rare complications, which may happen with any vaccine or medicine. While we should continue to monitor the developments, such possibility should not, for now, and after the approval by great majority, prevent us from availing ourselves of this vaccine. It also seems that the Moderna vaccine is following the same trajectory.

Based on the aforementioned, and because of the nature of the danger the world faces, the postulated risks are not sufficient to make the vaccine impermissible, and the least that could be said is that it is prescribed: either permissible or recommended for the individuals to take. As for the public health authorities, it is incumbent on them to make it available for the people, for their benefit and protection.

And Allah the Exalted knows best.

Ed: tl:dr - herd immunity via let everyone get infected = bad, herd immunity via vaccination = good.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Dec 15, 2020

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

Lord Ludikrous posted:

This year is the first Christmas that my partner and I are celebrating by ourselves and the only turkeys I could find anywhere were large and expensive.

Ended up buying a duck in the end, cheaper and will probably still get a couple of dinners out of it. Planning to honey roast it so should be quite nice.

Done duck for just 2 people at Xmas before, it rules. PRO-TIP, get it on a rack in the oven and cook all the veg in the fat that drips down. Aldi or Lidl do whole lobsters for around that price too, possibly cheaper (girlfriend already bought them) and aside from the ball ache of preparing them, some good eating.
Makes no odds for us as we've just done the 2 of us for the last 3 years. Much as I love my family, & my sister recently returned from the Far East after 5 years, I'm not travelling 200 miles to piss about with contrived bubbles when I can just do a Zoom chat before they all watch Strictly.
Done Xmas on my own due to finances/work twice too, and it's depressing as gently caress. Especially when you finish at 10pm Xmas Eve and haven't had any chance to get something in resembling a Xmas dinner. Hitting up a petrol station on the 25th for something to eat & a bottle of wine was one of my more low points.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Duck absolutely rules, turkey is so, so bland.

We do beef, get a big rib of beef each year - much tastier than turkey and no more expensive.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
My family has always had goose. It's the OG xmas bird and it is incredible, like a meatier duck. And the skin... oh my god the skin.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I'm sharing this because as any fule kno, islamaphobic idiots will start saying the virus is all because of muslims not getting vaccinated. (Much as they tried to claim the govt wasn't doing anything to stop muslims meeting in mosques despite the muslim council for Britain stopping congregational activities several days BEFORE the C of E decided likewise!)

Fatwa on taking the covid-19 vaccine:

https://www.amjaonline.org/fatwa/en/87763/the-ruling-on-getting-the-covid-19-coronavirus-vaccine

The tl;dr for this is 'vaccination good' i think?

It's a bit dense for me to spend more time reading right now lol.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Grey Hunter posted:

Hindsight being 20/20, we should have taken the stupid deal.

reminder lib dems and CHUK are the reason we don't have mays deal + Customs union

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

I’ll be spending Xmas alone for the first time ever (my wife will not hear “don’t go to your mums”) and I’ve been wondering what to have to eat, but as it turns out I accidentally drunk ordered 5kg of biltong on Friday night so that’s that sorted.

SpaceCommie
Oct 2, 2008

I'm escaping to the one place that hasn't been corrupted by Capitalism ...

SPACE!

I've long been of the opinion you should just have pizza on Christmas day.

My family always got so agitated with one another over christmas dinner, tempers got frayed and days before everyone was paniking about the food.

Pizza, beers, whisky. Have a roast on a less important day and just lounge about on Christmas imo.

No one else agrees with me and now that I'm an adult I have to go round to other people's (family etc) for Christmas so I don't get to do it anymore.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Compromise with pizza and roast potatoes and I bet you'd find many allies appearing.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Convex posted:

quote:

Notorious British anti-trans columnist Julie Burchill says that using cocaine every day for three decades caused her no “lasting damage”.
:thunk:
I agree, she was a poo poo person before. It's a good article though, because it notes

quote:

While it would be tempting to link an altered state of mind to Burchill’s columns, it’s glaringly obvious that plenty of people who use drugs manage to get through life without regularly spouting this kind of abuse.
and as most addiction specialists have noted (especially in the banned WHO report that was banned because the data didn't support the conclusions that the USA wanted) it is possible to be a long term cocaine user without addiction, just as it is possible to be addicted to almost anything.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

We’re having goose for the first time in my life this Christmas because turkey can do one, will be a bit disappointed if we can’t even see anyone else over Christmas to even offload some of it, every area of West Yorkshire now has a COVID rate below 170 cases per 100,000 but needs must. I was always fine with just skipping this one Christmas but my fiancée has her heart set on it after this lovely year so :shrug: Hoping they do cancel it and threaten big fines so that she’ll accept writing it off

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Christmas was more fun when I was a child, as an adult it is just the busiest time of year at work and I spend a lot of time seeing how unhappy it makes everyone and how much blood, sweat and tears go into supporting everybody else gorging themselves on poo poo. It is rather difficult not to view it as just the apex of capitalism, how everything is focused around getting people to consume as much as possible.

It isn't just a holiday, it is a holiday for people who have jobs that give them time off, for a lot of people it is the opposite of a holiday.

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

should probably close the schools but ofc plenty of home workers will be adversely affected by that

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

thespaceinvader posted:

The tl;dr for this is 'vaccination good' i think?

It's a bit dense for me to spend more time reading right now lol.

Yes. Maybe i should go back and put that at the bottom!

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

otoh making a big occasion of some auspicious date and gorging decadently on food and gifts massively predates capitalism and will outlast it by a very long time too

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Communist Thoughts posted:

otoh making a big occasion of some auspicious date and gorging decadently on food and gifts massively predates capitalism and will outlast it by a very long time too

That may be the case but under our current system it means some people get to do that while other people get to facilitate it happening.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
its incredible seeing some of the knots people are tying themselves up in to cover up starmer being poo poo yesterday lol

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Sanford posted:

I’ll be spending Xmas alone for the first time ever (my wife will not hear “don’t go to your mums”) and I’ve been wondering what to have to eat, but as it turns out I accidentally drunk ordered 5kg of biltong on Friday night so that’s that sorted.

OMG, I’ll buy some of that off you if you don’t want it all. My son and I will be very happy

Turkey is dry and flavourless. Duck is superior in every way. And it can’t be that intensively reared like factory chickens

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe
I generally enjoy Christmas, but the past few years have been a case of slowly rebuilding my good associations with this time of year after a couple of horrible ones.

Basically I had a stretch of a few years after I moved away from family and got a 'proper' job where I felt the pressure to spend money I couldn't really afford and time I didn't really have. Said job was on a weekly newspaper which, while we got 7-10 days off over the Christmas/New Year period, still put out an issue every week so one, sometimes two issues had to be produced before the break within the standard schedule (this for a title where the staff and resources had been cut to the absolute minimum required to get each issue out the door in normal times). Making room for the Christmas issues meant squeezing time in the schedule from the middle of November. So everyone went off for Christmas absolutely frazzled and strung out.

In 2014 I made the daft decision to try and see all of my widely dispersed family, so fresh from the chaos of the Christmas schedule I spent virtually the entire break driving about 1000 miles around the country, essentially wiping out my bank account on fuel.

The next year, after a particularly lovely run-up (and a year overall in which my complete lack of social life outside work coupled to an increasingly toxic work environment was taking its toll) I ended up on a rain-lashed street in Liskeard, Cornwall, having two simultaneous phone calls - one to my bank to try and arrange an emergency overdraft and one to my Mum to simultaneously ask for money and relitigate the whole "why will I only be seeing you on New Year's Eve not Christmas" discussion. I ended up having an emotional breakdown in early January when I had to get back on the publishing treadmill and the terrible interpersonal atmosphere at work came to a head.

It's been better since then, in all aspects. This is the first Christmas since where I actually feel festive and the whole thing isn't just an endurance test of raging anxiety.

Anyone who, for whatever reason, doesn't enjoy Christmas or who wants/doesn't want to do it a particular way has my sympathy and support, for what it's worth.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

If you're eating any game, watch out for the shot, a cracked tooth is not a nice way to spend Christmas.

I like watching old cooking programmes to see how unappetising the food looks and no apparent thought put to food hygiene

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kunuXThp51E

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I'm veggie now so I cannot partake in the Christmas birds, but Goose is the king of them without a doubt. Its like duck but richer and there's enough of it for everyone

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

This is going to be live-streamed on Facebook at 7pm tonight for anyone interested:

https://www.facebook.com/events/1060390087765457/

quote:

A celebration of Jewish Radicalism

A celebration of Jewish radicalism, with Alexei Sayle, Rivkah Brown, Leon Rosselson, Naomi Wimborne-Idrissi, David Rosenberg, Andrew Feinstein and Barnaby Raine.
Plus live music.
Hosted by Red Labour
Tuesday December 15th
7pm-9pm

Facebook account not necessary to watch it as it is 'public'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

That may be the case but under our current system it means some people get to do that while other people get to facilitate it happening.

yea that certainly sounds like the history of all hitherto society