Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

Heliotrope posted:

It's possible the very next comic will have this problem instantly solved

Considering we see they’re already shown to be safe and the only goal right now is to walk right, what even is the problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
Technically speaking they might have to climb up again at some point to get back on track, but we all know how good this comic is with continuity.

Actually, this is Snout we're talking about, there's a real chance that the cliff dropped them right in front of the gate they were trying to reach.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Cloacamazing! posted:

Technically speaking they might have to climb up again at some point to get back on track, but we all know how good this comic is with continuity.

Actually, this is Snout we're talking about, there's a real chance that the cliff dropped them right in front of the gate they were trying to reach.

I doubt it, that would advance the plot forward at more than a snail's pace.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
Nah we're going to have another shot of them falling and then a shot of them falling again but maybe holding hands, then a shot of them noticing the ground is coming up fast. Next comic, them bracing for impact, then a sound effect panel, then darkness. Next comic, Snout slowly opens his eyes. Comic after that, Snout looks around and notices that Scar-chan is gone again.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

The Battle for Barthis Part 1 [Part 5]

So here we are again. The next several comics aren't particularly memorable. They're just midly funny because all of the problems the Deegans could face having a benifit concert in a destroyed town are quickly parpered over, so we can get to the epic concert scenes in this silent, static medium.

See what I mean? I mean, this part is flagarently corrupt. I know it's for a good cause but the fact that Miranda can do this is incredibly dubious when you think about it, especially since the school also suffered tragedy recently.

Haha, he gets more pain! That's how villains get punished, even after they have been ruined in every other way. Always a little bit more torture is necessary. Love the speed of the Callanian news cycle. Actually, I'm not even sure where Stonewater is supposed to be at this point, for him to be able to get a paper. It will end up being a pretty big coincidence.

See? This isn't Facebath! It's actually the eminently more forgettable Oblivion Folder. I'm sorry but this name is just trash. It's a stupid backstory not even related to any of the band members, and it's just more Monkeycheese random humour. I actually forgot what this band was called again, even though I went to check earlier in this thread. That is how forgettable this name is.

Derivative Character Interlude!

Now we see how unoriginal even Mookie's "original" characters were.

Another instant solution to their problems. I do love the explanation as to why they aren't used all the time, which in effect just makes it clear that Donovan and Miranda have access to massive resources they rarely use to help people, except through the most indirect charities. How else does Donovan have access to emergency magic sheet music for several instruments and songs that takes months to scribe. Eat the rich (Deegans).

I guess they are a cover band, for lovely generic nerd metal music in a medieval fantasy setting, which you think would make a lot of this subject matter either inappropriate or eye-rolling to the audience.

I realize that anachronistic settings can't be fun and aren't the worst thing. But Mookie has used up all my goodwill. I don't even know what's supposed to have happened to Greg in that last panel.

Oh ho ho, it's time for a very special episode of the Deegans(tm)

The self-insert nature of Dominic makes the fact that the one gay character is obessing over him to the point of homicidal thoughts incredibly terrible. You can tell that Mookie is just patting himself on the back as to how good Dominic will be when he still accepts that the gay dude is attracted to him. It doesn't bother him at all!

And once again, Mookie connects sex to death. In this case, I guess it follows from Szark's character. But it's just once again underlying what an incredibly weird and creepy choice Szark's whole character arc was.

Halloween interlude

Luckily Szark doesnt need to steal the spotlight for too long and thinks himself out of him murderous impulses. This is because he's a good guy now and can't actually be morally grey anymore, or Mookie's head would explode.

More Filler coming

And here's where I'll leave you, with this filler, and the text one it.

Literally made my skin crawl when I got to this page again. This is the point he was planning this story, months before the reveal. Not spur of the moment, premeditated.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
That last image and the accompanying text made my stomach churn a bit. gently caress Mookie.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

I can only assume that last one has something to do with the infamous bit (loving ew...), so I'm gonna comment on this one.

What the gently caress? Unless I missed something, we never saw the full outfit, mostly just her dead as gently caress and largely off-panel. Which makes the actual words there way loving weirder. He makes it sound like Szark was fantasizing about her, rather than brutally murdering her to steal her man over her dead body.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.
I'm struggling to think of a message that would reflect worse on Mookie. The dude was excited to draw rape of a minor

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I knew it'd be coming up soon but this is just gross.

Dalris Othaine
Oct 14, 2013

I think, therefore I am inevitable.
Dominic Deegan: There is always more and it is always worse

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

"Sure glad I didn't go with a cliche," chortles the man who, a few updates previously, had a defeated villain holler "Do you hear me? I'll make you pay for this!" before getting ouchied for laughs.

Stahlgeist
Nov 19, 2009
The real reason he changed Jacob's design is he knew there was no way he'd be able to continue drawing the details on his armour or keep the scar over his eye consistent.

The concept designs he posted are always at least a bit more elaborate than the designs he settled on, which range from the most boring plate armour you've ever seen to sweaters and trench coats. What we can say for Legacy is that he attempted to add more asymmetrical detail to his character designs and draws more detailed environments for these characters to endlessly meander through. But as we've seen since, the only human anatomy he's gotten a better grasp on is his own with all the horny drawings. And he has increasingly resorted to tracing his scenery and poses. He hasn't grown as an artist, he's simply become lazy in new ways.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

The Little Death posted:

I don't even know what's supposed to have happened to Greg in that last panel.

It looks like a PLOP to me.

I don't know the actual term for it, but it's something a lot of newspaper comics do when the punchline happens, people seeing/hearing it fall over backwards. Condorito would use PLOP for it happening so I just know it as PLOP now.

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
I read it as Quilt smacked him in the face by suddenly pulling out the metal horns.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
"I have to go, I got work to do. Gotta root out the corruption of all the knights who bend the rules for their own private reasons."
"So are you gonna take the Golem in? Since it's in your rules that you have to?"
"No he's my personal friend."

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Holy poo poo I forgot entirely about that last page. :catstare:

Stahlgeist posted:

The real reason he changed Jacob's design is he knew there was no way he'd be able to continue drawing the details on his armour or keep the scar over his eye consistent.

The concept designs he posted are always at least a bit more elaborate than the designs he settled on, which range from the most boring plate armour you've ever seen to sweaters and trench coats. What we can say for Legacy is that he attempted to add more asymmetrical detail to his character designs and draws more detailed environments for these characters to endlessly meander through. But as we've seen since, the only human anatomy he's gotten a better grasp on is his own with all the horny drawings. And he has increasingly resorted to tracing his scenery and poses. He hasn't grown as an artist, he's simply become lazy in new ways.

Yeah that Jacob design is a better drawing than anything he's done in his entire career as a comic artist. Which, on one hand, making a single piece gives you more time and space to work with than a comic, sure, but on the other, holy poo poo how do you not do anything that matches up with that after almost two decades?

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
That early Jacob design is straight up the Pale Master from Libris Mortis.

I believe the class was even in one of the Neverwinter Nights expansion packs. Maybe the Underdark one?

I know we brought it up before, but yeah, that armor and everything, early Jacob was even more just an anime take on the generic art of a D&D prestige class.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

"... because the revised Gregory isn't a jock."

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I had forgotten/not known until this point that Melna was a loving child when jazzhands happened. I'm honestly not sure what to say.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

New legacy page BTW

oh i guess she's not abusive anymore, she's all cured because snout was a real nice guy to her

Also, wasn't she taller than him? Or am I crazy?

Edit: Also panel 3 is traced https://www.dominic-deegan.com/comic/november-4-2020/

Anyway it's boring so go back to talking about old Deegan

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Dec 14, 2020

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

As hosed up as the dynamic between corpsewife and Snout was, at least it had some tension. Resolving that instantly because of no-consequence Looney Tunes hijinx is amazing to me. It really is anti-storytelling. Even if you just had Wile E. Coyote moments as a bit of comic relief, why would you have them have consequences for the relationship.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The Little Death posted:

Literally made my skin crawl when I got to this page again. This is the point he was planning this story, months before the reveal. Not spur of the moment, premeditated.

ahahahahahaha jesus loving christ

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

You'll see. ;)
- Mookie

loving chilling

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

Kavak posted:

I had forgotten/not known until this point that Melna was a loving child when jazzhands happened. I'm honestly not sure what to say.

It's a very strange feeling, seeing that original Deegan is even worse than I remembered it being. Because I remembered it being total garbage that glorified a rapist by making everyone who didn't like him literally be influenced by demons into not liking him.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

A sexy rapist.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

The Little Death posted:

I guess they are a cover band, for lovely generic nerd metal music in a medieval fantasy setting, which you think would make a lot of this subject matter either inappropriate or eye-rolling to the audience.

I realize that anachronistic settings can't be fun and aren't the worst thing. But Mookie has used up all my goodwill. I don't even know what's supposed to have happened to Greg in that last panel.
I'm pretty sure we're supposed to think Greg got knocked over by Quilt throwing metal horns.

Quilt is throwing metal horns and making his angry face because he's performing the song. The song which he knows only by virtue of the enchantment placed on him by the magic scroll he just read. An enchantment which the last strip just told us is broken when the song is performed.

Which could've been a better gag than the Greg getting knocked over bit if Mookie had bothered to think it through.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
I'm excited for the day he draws all he needs to and legacy is just posedolls he assembles and defends as "I drew it once, I'll use it again!" and still only puts out 3 a week.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Is nothing continuing to happen? Carry on.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

The Battle for Barthis Part 3 [Part 1]

I actually missed that Part 2 was last post

Back from Nekocon, Mookie does exactly what I said and makes Dominic super cool with his gay best friend having the hots for him.

This also begins another hilarious element of the Battle for Barthis story, where Dominic's greenskinned indigenous people arrive just in time to sanctify the use of their culture for this medieval metal concert. Like with a lot of other things in Mookie's writing, it's hard not to read into it a little. Why introduce this element at all? Why come up with this contrived cultural appropriation question, only to wave it away later? To make the Deegans more in tune with the saintly orcs than those evil Callanians?

Bi-erasure is a terrible thing. Not even joking. szark goes from a sexual, depraved bi dude into a nice sexless gay dude who can just pine after Dominic from afar.

Here is where we find out that Donovan is a sort of Kurzon Dax character to the orcs. He lived among them, he respects them and earned their trust and love.

I guess he's more like Jake Sully or the Last Samurai, the white dude who became the absolute apex of orcish culture. There's again this weird idea that this concert, for which Donovan had magic pre-ready songs, is some world first thing. So where did the music come from? Is metal music part of this setting or not? This isn't really that inconsequential, because the whole idea of this concert seems like it is both something that would immediatly bring people in but is also some revolutionary new idea.

Creepy and inappropriate as a response Greg. Unbelievably so.

So here we see a glimpse of what happened. Melna's parents were killed.

So it turns out the Donovan got the highest honor of the Kelsheen, but didn't learn the language at all. Also love that the syntax of this language allows for that wildly divergent a meaning from three almost identical words.

Oh man Mookie, stop with this searing political insight. All I can think here though is that Miranda seems to be doing just fine in this awful corrupt system. Weird that. Also it's Nimmel! Boo. You are the worst Nimmel.

Here's another incredibly stupid twist Mookie came up with. The horns are actually an orcish sign of resistance against an invading force literally allied with hell. You would think that would change how people might interpret someone throwing those horns at a benifit concert for people injured by infernal magic. Again, there's this weird knot of ideas surrouding cultural appropriation that Mookie has deliberatly woven into his story. He explicitly acknowledges the potential for inappropriate use with Stonewater, but just assures us that the Deegans are the respectful type of appropriator. All while directly linking real-life metalhead culture with indigenous resistance to imperialism and oppresion. It's the same type of seemingly unintentional or subconcious problematic story-telling that you see all over star power, and even in Legacy with the weird sexual side of Ink Witch's dream invading and the power dynamics between corpsewife and Snout. Mookie has a talent for writing stories that just feel off or wrong. They aren't directly bigoted or chauvenistic, they just have this weird undercurrent on bad implications that he always seems to manage to weave in.

Going to leave it there for now. Doing these in more bite-sized chunks going forward.

Beelzebufo fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Dec 15, 2020

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
I thought you had titled these updates The Battle for Barthis by mistake but no the villain and conflict left the story and the story decided to just keep going regardless. Serk was really just a footnote that Dominic stomped out in an afternoon.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
Well of course it's not over, we haven't had the rock concert yet. What, you thought this could just be summed up with one page of the band playing? That's what a reasonable author would do, not Mookie!

Don't worry though, the next villain of the day is on his way, because this concert is the most important thing ever, so it gets two villains. And one actually lovely person, but of course we're going to ignore that one entirely.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
We get song lyrics too soon I think.

It is the level of power metal that would make Dragonforce and Rhapsody of Fire embarrassed to read.

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

the most intelligent character in this universe, constantly remarked on by even his enemies as a genius, and his entire belief about politics is just, "sometimes, government officials are corrupt and neglectful." amazing.

it would actually work if a writer purposefully wrote some elon musk-esque character who tries so hard to be intelligent, but falls on his face every single time he tries to talk about something important. unfortunately, mookie just really thinks his 12-year-old realization of "wow, sometimes bad people have power!" is deep political theory.

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012
The whole 'cultural appropriation' thing is weird to me, because Melna is an orc who practices this type of traditional orcish drumming, and she can choose to do it however she wants.

It really smacks of that whole thing where a male protagonist says, 'Wait! You can't do that! Don't you dare take another step!' to his female companion only to have her smugly respond, 'Why not, because I'm a woman?'

Then it'll be something like, 'No, because the bridge is out!' proving that the man is not only not-sexist, but the objective master of logic and reason and the woman is jumping at shadows and imagining sexism everywhere.

If the orc homeland was invaded (within the lifetimes of every character in this comic), and there are these pillaged sacred drums all over Callahan, and there are rando human dudes pretending to be chandak drummers - to the point that the orcs are willing to invade a village over it - you would think the Deegans would have been smart enough to like, at least feature Melna on the poster.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Melna can't be on the poster or mentioned in the newspaper cause then Mookie can't contrive a reason for his loving scumbag rapist hero to innocently waddle his dumbass into Barthis and back into Melna's life under the pretense of preserving his culture.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Just like what's coming up, this entire plotline is probably a long, uncomfortable answer to a question only Mookie asked himself or to refute one critic in particular (See: Justifications out the rear end after Ink Witch was called an abuser)

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

The Battle for Barthis Part 3 [Part 2]

The logic of how these state-sanctioned devil wizards went on to become targets of an apparent religious purge is never really explained. It reminds me a lot of the lack of thought put into the Starpower society. Without wanting to get into too much of a tangent, Mookie's lack of thought into institutions interact with each other and society is only as big a problem as it is because he introduces these problematic social elements into his stories. Not every story needs to fully map out how religion works, but here you have this non-state organization apparently hunting down agents of the state for punishment. What does that tell us about Callan? Or the Luanian Church? Is there a lot of conflict between the ecclisiastical and temporal centers of this world? Was the church against the invasion of Maltak? Is Luanism not evangelical? And what about Callan's leaders, who sanctioned devil wizards? They apparently weren't touched by the church as all, and their crimes, crimes so heinous the church had to step in to correct them, are entirely unknown within less than a generation. If so, is the Church not sort of complicit in all this, cleaning up the state's messes?

Really it's because Mookie considers the church as objectively good in alignment, so he doesn't think through the mechanics of his world, and in so doing creates these situations that can only be described as problematic, especially when they roughly mirror real historical events.

Magic microphones. I also like how even things like ticket sales all happen over a few days. Also here's that ring again. Get ready for a really underwhelming reveal.

Fyre Festival Callan. I don't see no port-a-potties, magic or otherwise, anywhere.

Dex does not come back for the rest of this arc

I love this dynamic, where Mookie sets up a situation that reads as Dominic barring characters from an oppressed ethnic group from attenting an event, but for a good reason. And, in another comic or story, I don't think i would comment on it. But it all falls back to Mookie's problem-seeking storytelling. It feels weird to read this because of all the back story to this point. It makes it feel like there are implications or allusions that I don't think Mookie meant.

Of course, nothing really comes of it. It's just instantly resolved by Dominic's parents and their connections (again).

Again, Bulgak and the whole confrontation is forgottten instantly. Really this is setup for the War in Hell arc coming next, but that can all pause while we get our awful rock concert.

Mookie's color theory appears again. As you can see, even in this case Mookie stayed devoted to the 8 panel newspaper strip format, which really robbed the chance to have some bigger more epic illustrations that might have had more of an impact.

This is not the point where what happened is revealed, so people forget that this panel is the first time we see young Melna and Stonewater together. So yeah, there it is.

Seperately, the air punching thing obviously sounded really badass in Mookie's brain but just sounds so lame spelled out.

Anyway, let's not dwell on that. Let's instead dwell on the absurd timeline that Mookie establishes in this comic. And the eye-rollingly bad reference to holding up lighters at concerts.

Also Blue Angel lol.

A nice wall of text to just take all that pesky character building and story-telling out of the way.

Like Zerilan said

Zerilan posted:

We get song lyrics too soon I think.

It is the level of power metal that would make Dragonforce and Rhapsody of Fire embarrassed to read.

Then we get a different type of awful cliche with the phrase "sacred ghost wind".

I know it's not that big in the cannon of DD sins, but having the orc's magic be two stereotypically North American Indigenous activities really makes me laugh. It's just so on the nose.

Boobies, boobies, boobies.

This is here too, but this is not jazz hands. I feel like this went by without people commenting on it at the time, but I could be wrong. I don't remember enough of how this played, mainly because I don't think all the implications were clear to Mookie's very young reader base at the time.

Especially because Melna reacts like this.

Dominic senses the true villain (it's not Stonewater).

So we have the conflicts for the next arc building here.

But before that! It's time for more Dominic wanking!

Oh hey, it's the ring! What super important role will it play?

Something super important! something that changes everything, given how Dominic is reacting! What new tragedy does this overlooked ring portend?

Still building to that reveal...

Lol, it's just the setup for Dominic to wallow in feelings of inadequacy! Turns out there were no stakes, the problem was always solvable! If only he had not given into his impulses to totally destroy and torture his enemies. Oh Dominic, you learned a lesson maybe.....

Of course, the real outcome is Dominic's dear friends telling him how wrong he is to ever feel doubt or disappointment or for him to feel bad in any way. He's the best, his personal quest for vengence on his girlfriend's ex was entirely justified! No need for character growth or introspection here!

Thanks Mookie, I needed more of your take on gay men.

More unengaging filler...

So Pam is pressganged into being the new mayor.

And they'll have a town meeting to decide how to use the money from pawning the ring. None of this gets the people of Barthis into actual shelters or gets them a cholera free water supply or anything, but fantasy live-aid happened so none of that matters.

The important thing is that Greg gets laid. and so concludes the Battle for Barthis.

The end of the Battle for Barthis goes directly into the war in hell, and it's in the first strips of that arc that we get Jazz Hands. So brace yourselves, it's coming next time.

Beelzebufo fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Dec 16, 2020

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

even as someone who likes heavy/guitar focused music, what an insufferable concert that would be to sit through. WOOO WHO WANTS TO WATCH MY 60 YEAR OLD DAD PLAY A 13 MINUTE GUITAR SOLO???? HELL YEAH

the lyrics make blind guardian look like leonard cohen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

The Little Death posted:

The Battle for Barthis Part 3 [Part 2]

So I think at the time what I assumed was that this was Stonewater holder he back from trying to go to her dead parents or something cliche like that and his guilt would be about how he couldn't save them or protect her or something. Nobody could have guessed that it would be... what it was.