Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Blackhawk posted:

I never understood this 'business model', I mean I get slashing prices to drive your competitors into the ground but surely when you eventually MUST jack your prices up to pay off all of that subsidising and turn a profit a new competitor will jump into the market and undercut you just like you did to everybody else. Kinda like how the reasonable prices and ease of use of netflix convinced a lot of people to stop pirating TV and movies for a while but now that there are a hundred different streaming services and their prices are all going up people are just going to go back to piracy.

you sell off all your stock and move to another company before that second part happens so its no longer your problem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
The key thing with tech companies is that they're all shooting for monopoly control, therefore they're all infinitely valuable no matter what their revenue and expenses.

Gods_Butthole
Aug 9, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
As you can see from these accounting numbers, we're way in the green! We just have to be sure to count potential income.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
I mean Uber, Tesla, AirBnB are all dumb but they are definitely more viable than Twitter or Facebook which exist only on a fake ad model that will eventually collapse.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Peanut President posted:

I mean Uber, Tesla, AirBnB are all dumb but they are definitely more viable than Twitter or Facebook which exist only on a fake ad model that will eventually collapse.

Uber and AirBnB could both be legislated out of existence very, very, very easily just by making them follow the rules for taxis and hotels

Not that they will be

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

The Bloop posted:

Uber and AirBnB could both be legislated out of existence very, very, very easily just by making them follow the rules for taxis and hotels

Not that they will be

I mean if that's the bar then half the drat S&P 500 is at threat

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

The Bloop posted:

Not that they will be

Uber just successfully made their own laws and they still aren’t making money

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Peanut President posted:

facebook has been packaging up your identity and selling it to anyone that wants it for years. the ads are just the icing on the cake

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

boar guy posted:

facebook has been packaging up your identity and selling it to anyone that wants it for years. the ads are just the icing on the cake

yea, companies like facebook and google are making money hand over fist from sources that aren't obvious. I don't think I can say the same for Uber which only makes money you get a ride to the airport.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
hell, uber is subsidizing your ride to the airport

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

stock offerings are another way for zombie corps to make money that's not just loans futzed over by accounting gimmicks, and as long as the narrative is good and the fed will buy their bonds, well, there's no way to lose is there

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

bling blong chonkin off some shares, another ten billion in our coffers whoa look at it soar to the stratosphere for our investors, seems unsustainable but oh well the money we got was as real as sin lmao

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 212 days!

boar guy posted:

and this does ??? for the people who buy it?

the security state can determine that i am an urgent threat to the citizens of yarhnam and yet advertisers still can't figure out what ads to show me

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

duz posted:

you sell off all your stock and move to another company before that second part happens so its no longer your problem

It's this. A thousand times this.

These tech companies are building a thousand little house of cards.

1. Uber runs on a deficit muscling out the local taxi service.
2. With the taxi service gone, they pump up prices.
3. Brand new shiny competitor runs on a deficit muscling out Uber.
4. With Uber gone, they pump up the prices.
5. Newest competitor runs....

And on and on. The problem with all these service providers is that they don't actually own any of the cars. Any other motherfucker can walk right in and take over with nothing but an app and a server farm. But that poo poo is cheap compared to everything else.

But by that point, everyone's made their money and moved on.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Like, it's really hard to muscle out a walmart by bottoming out on prices, because you have to build supply lines and warehouses and a whole slew of stores. But loving Uber is an app and a pile of money. That's it. So that's all the next dude needs to take over.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

PostNouveau posted:

The key thing with tech companies is that they're all shooting for monopoly control, therefore they're all infinitely valuable no matter what their revenue and expenses.

ah yes that paragon of capitalist market efficiency, the monopoly

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Hodgepodge posted:

the security state can determine that i am an urgent threat to the citizens of yarhnam and yet advertisers still can't figure out what ads to show me

The big secret is everyone involved has a vested interest in maintaining the lie so they don't get their budgets cut, don't lose business, whatever. Whenever anyone actually critically looks at it or does a study with good controls they find it's useless, but why listen to them when you can listen to all the paid-for statistics that show it does exactly what you need it to do to justify your marketing budget!!!

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Cpt_Obvious posted:

It's this. A thousand times this.

These tech companies are building a thousand little house of cards.

1. Uber runs on a deficit muscling out the local taxi service.
2. With the taxi service gone, they pump up prices.
3. Brand new shiny competitor runs on a deficit muscling out Uber.
4. With Uber gone, they pump up the prices.
5. Newest competitor runs....

And on and on. The problem with all these service providers is that they don't actually own any of the cars. Any other motherfucker can walk right in and take over with nothing but an app and a server farm. But that poo poo is cheap compared to everything else.

But by that point, everyone's made their money and moved on.

nah after step 2 they use their trillions of dollars of Saudi oil money to buy the local regulatory apparatus and either buy out or destroy the competition through monopoly tactics

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Like, it's really hard to muscle out a walmart by bottoming out on prices, because you have to build supply lines and warehouses and a whole slew of stores. But loving Uber is an app and a pile of money. That's it. So that's all the next dude needs to take over.

And as a very good and normal side effect of this, the biggest money pile wins. So Uber/Lyft/other apps can pitch themselves as the leader who just needs more money to ensure victory, which drives up the investment in them, which means bigger piles of burning money. Which, famously, can never go wrong.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Hodgepodge posted:

Ah, Kos. Or some say, Dr. Kos.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

How! posted:

Can’t keep my motorbikes behind my truck in my parking space, can’t keep em in my yard either! This is apparently an issue after several years because?

I had a similar issue with my landlord in June. One of our two cars had a registration and inspection expire in May, so I figured since my rear end was locked down and the car had already been parked in the spot for months that I would wait to get everything brought up until things normalized. My landlord came and told me that I had to get the car inspected and registered because if I didn't I'd be using my parking spot as storage. So I told him that I would and never did.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

T-man posted:

And as a very good and normal side effect of this, the biggest money pile wins. So Uber/Lyft/other apps can pitch themselves as the leader who just needs more money to ensure victory, which drives up the investment in them, which means bigger piles of burning money. Which, famously, can never go wrong.

That depends on whether Chinese investors want to supplant them with their new _________ (fill blank with electric cars, fancy new app, etc.) and the war of avarice continues.

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!

a new study bible! posted:

I had a similar issue with my landlord in June. One of our two cars had a registration and inspection expire in May, so I figured since my rear end was locked down and the car had already been parked in the spot for months that I would wait to get everything brought up until things normalized. My landlord came and told me that I had to get the car inspected and registered because if I didn't I'd be using my parking spot as storage. So I told him that I would and never did.

Haha, I'm in the almost same position. Told him I'd get storage insurance for it...have not.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 212 days!

Shame Boy posted:

The big secret is everyone involved has a vested interest in maintaining the lie so they don't get their budgets cut, don't lose business, whatever. Whenever anyone actually critically looks at it or does a study with good controls they find it's useless, but why listen to them when you can listen to all the paid-for statistics that show it does exactly what you need it to do to justify your marketing budget!!!

the funniest thing is that its a huge scam and we aren't even the marks, we're just bystanders who get roped in as extras

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 212 days!

Lib and let die posted:

do you buy our stocks?

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 212 days!
behold, a Paleblood IPO!

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Lib and let die posted:

Hodgepodge posted:

behold, a Paleblood IPO!

Hodgepodge posted:

do you buy our stocks?

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Greg12 posted:

It was loving embarrassing to read my colleagues in government and academia whose job is regulating and researching this poo poo go on about rebuilding our cities around robocabs.

I'll tell you a lil secret.

The robocab fetish was never about efficiency or cost savings. It was about convenience for the PMC (by reducing the cost and inconvenience of unsustainable development patterns to them as individuals) and the further destruction of labor's political power by providing an excuse to eviscerate public transit. And, much like the private automobile was before it, they will subsidize the absolute ever-loving poo poo out of the robocab for as long as it takes to make it viable.

Gods_Butthole
Aug 9, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

T-man posted:

Counterpoint: Mo' money mo' problems

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

PostNouveau posted:

I mean no joke, if they accomplish their goal then they will actually be a license to print money.

And the only real thing standing in the way of them achieving their goal is uhh, effective anti-trust legislation being enacted and enforced. So uhh...

Ofcourse the real question is why would you invest your money into a tech company to try to build a free money printing machine when there are already free money printing machines you can buy (partial) ownership of with sufficient funds? Like, say, banks or insurance companies?

Orange Devil has issued a correction as of 14:17 on Dec 15, 2020

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
pretty sure most people dumping money into VC also have a shitload of traditional investments

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Ardent Communist posted:

Haha, I'm in the almost same position. Told him I'd get storage insurance for it...have not.

A parking spot is storage even if the car is registered and inspected!

Also the car in question is a 2018 Mazda with like 20K miles on it, so it's clearly not rusting out.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Orange Devil posted:

Ofcourse the real question is why would you invest your money into a tech company to try to build a free money printing machine when there are already free money printing machines you can buy (partial) ownership of with sufficient funds? Like, say, banks or insurance companies?

Because it might print money faster.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

The Bloop posted:

Not that they will be

it's possible

denmark made uber abide by existing taxi regulations, so they left the country. airbnb are staying around, but they have to provide the tax authorities with info on all danish rentals

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.

Cold on a Cob posted:

pretty sure most people dumping money into VC also have a shitload of traditional investments

yeah all the people investing in VC literally are just chasing yield. they’ve got so much money they can just light some on fire on the off chance it turns into much more money.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Zamujasa posted:

Also diversifying your risk, just in case the financial sector takes a major hit for some mysterious reason unrelated to unsustainable loans and investments.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

i should've said 'KosMD'

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

Zamujasa posted:

Or make someone else's print money slower/less

Cuz gently caress the other guy

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
vc is just legal high stakes gambling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

A tornado took the power out here so while I'm waiting for it to come back on I checked the power company website for the status and found this:

quote:

Many of us are looking for ways to make the world a little brighter this holiday season. During what's been a difficult year for many, you can help give the gift of hope through our Share program. By donating, you'll help a struggling family right here in our area pay their utility bill – sharing hope when so many need it during trying times.

God bless u power company, for having the heart to let other people pay you for someone's electric bill :patriot:

But don't worry, they gave a whopping one million dollars to themselves, and guilted their own employees to paying some of their paycheck back to the company:

quote:

To help assist customers having difficulty making utility bill payments, TECO donated $1 million to COVID-19 relief, including $500,000 to the Share program. Share is administered by the Salvation Army, specifically to provide utility bill assistance. In addition to funds provided by TECO, Share is funded by the generosity of our own employees, community partners like COI Energy and the Tampa Bay Lightning, and customers just like you.

In completely unrelated news, TECO was bought by Emera in 2015 for $10.4 billion in an all-cash teal, creating a company with over $20 billion in assets.