Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snail Information
May 29, 2010

Snailmancy

Mistaken For Bacon posted:

This video is full of tips for painting with shaky hands. For your belt, he goes over painting with straight lines in a way that should help: position the mini with the brushstroke you want aimed at your heart and drag the brush toward you.

this has made me want to get a holder, are there any decent cheap options or should I just get the GW one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Sab669 posted:

Weren't Blightlords already relatively common? I thought I recall seeing them as a popular anvil kinda unit. But yea I'd love to see more of 'em on the table for sure. Really curious what the Surgeon's new role will be though.

I was looking through 9th ed DG lists last week and I don't think a single tournament list had terminators in it, actually. At least not that placed in top 10.

Snail Information
May 29, 2010

Snailmancy

Improbable Lobster posted:

speaking of which has anyone tried that sisters of battle vr thing yet?

Reviews were positive but my understanding is that it's exclusive to Oculus Quest (no desktop version yet)

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Snail Information posted:

this has made me want to get a holder, are there any decent cheap options or should I just get the GW one?

anything you like to hold like a block of wood, old pill bottles, paint pots, wine corks, whatever, then sticky tack on top.

Also of note, drilling a hole in the foot of the model (or at glue joints when doing sub assemblies) then putting a paper clip in the hole and then sticking the paper clip in a wine cork. That kind of method is invaluable for painting in sub assemblies

Spanish Manlove fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Dec 15, 2020

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Sab669 posted:

Weren't Blightlords already relatively common? I thought I recall seeing them as a popular anvil kinda unit. But yea I'd love to see more of 'em on the table for sure. Really curious what the Surgeon's new role will be though.

Expensive, slow, don't have obsec and don't do much damage. I don't think they've seen competitive play for years (if any)

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

So I think I'm going to use Termite Drills to get my Iron Warriors from A to B.
Question is though, how many will I need, and what units should I shove in them?

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Spanish Manlove posted:

Also of note, drilling a hole in the foot of the model (or at glue joints when doing sub assemblies) then putting a paper clip in the hole and then sticking the paper clip in a wine cork. That kind of method is invaluable for painting in sub assemblies

This is what I do, if 2020 hasn’t already made you an achoholic, you can buy bags of champagne corks from Amazon for a few bucks.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Instead of drilling a hole I just heat a paper clip with a lighter and then stick the paper clip into the foot of the model. Much faster than drilling each time, and when the plastic cools the model doesn’t swing on the clip. Wiggling the clip is enough to get it out of the model’s foot

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Verisimilidude posted:

Instead of drilling a hole I just heat a paper clip with a lighter and then stick the paper clip into the foot of the model. Much faster than drilling each time, and when the plastic cools the model doesn’t swing on the clip. Wiggling the clip is enough to get it out of the model’s foot
drat that is a nice hack :eyepop:

Snail Information
May 29, 2010

Snailmancy
This making holes business sounds kinda difficult. Can you "drill" barrel holes for guns using the uh lighter method?

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Verisimilidude posted:

gently caress I wish I read this before I tried drilling holes in the tiny nurglings feet on my Great Unclean One's base.

This making holes business sounds kinda difficult. Can you "drill" barrel holes for guns using the uh lighter method?

Honestly if you get a good drill and a good drill but it doesn't take long to drill out barrels, arguably easier than heating up a paperclip.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Hmm probably worth a shot on something you’re willing to try it on, but that’s a very fiddly thing. I have a hard enough time getting my barrel holes perfectly centered with a drill, and after heating the clip you don’t have much time before it’s too cool to melt plastic

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Heat the back side of the drill-bit.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

my hot take is that you don't really need to drill your barrels and it's only worth doing on character models or big guns that look weird without it, otherwise a dot of black is fine

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Anyone have a set of pin vise drill bits they'd recommend? I bought a pin vise set from Amazon for cheap, and while I don't have much basis for comparison, the bits seem kinda lovely

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!
Maybe it's a skill you can improve in but any time I tried using a hot pokey bit instead if a drill on warhammer plastic I wish I hadn't.

It melts so fast it can easily warp or break will leave the surface around it all hosed up. Just use some patience and a drill.

Though if it's just for mounting sub assemblies it's probably fine

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
My trick for drilling barrels is to not bother on small barrels and for marine guns to put a small pilot hole in the center by poking with an xacto knife and gently twisting it to make a little dent for the drill to follow

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Communist Walrus posted:

Anyone have a set of pin vise drill bits they'd recommend? I bought a pin vise set from Amazon for cheap, and while I don't have much basis for comparison, the bits seem kinda lovely

I bought the Army Painter drill and their drill bit set and they work pretty well, I'm guessing there may be a better set of drill bits out there but the drill itself is miles better than the cheap one that gave me hand cramps.

Spanish Manlove posted:

My trick for drilling barrels is to not bother on small barrels and for marine guns to put a small pilot hole in the center by poking with an xacto knife and gently twisting it to make a little dent for the drill to follow

Yeah I do the same.

Lasguns aren't drilled out but basically every other gun is.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I've got the AP drill bits and using an older Citadel drill because its grip is far thicker than the AP one in comparison.

It does squeak something fierce though so I might need to try lube it or something.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Cooked Auto posted:

I've got the AP drill bits and using an older Citadel drill because its grip is far thicker than the AP one in comparison.

It does squeak something fierce though so I might need to try lube it or something.

Is the end just something that turns or is it on ball bearings?

The AP one is on ball bearings and you can spin it and it keeps going, really smooth.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I use the same older citadel drill and it works great, but I lost them collet to use other sized bits. I bought the AP drill and it’s ok, but the knob on the back of the handle has a ratchet mechanism that prevents it from swiveling if you put pressure on it, which I don’t like.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Kitchner posted:

Is the end just something that turns or is it on ball bearings?

Don't think it has ball bearings no, at least I think it doesn't. Didn't even know the AP had it because I never used it as I hated the way it was in my hand. Turns out the one I have is an older model being this one:

But it's the end that's gone a bit wobbly from age on the Citadel and the squeaking whenever I use it.

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Dec 15, 2020

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Drilling gun barrels is the ultimate finishing touch

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Verisimilidude posted:

Holy poo poo, that's genius

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I have some Detachment/Faction army questions since I'm still a little fuzzy on it:

1) I get that "battle-forged" is just adhering to the central Faction i.e. the Imperium humans, Chaos, Necron, etc. Detachments I'm a bit befuddled on. From what I understand, a Detachment is essentially just a squad? i.e. a group of 4 Grey Knight interceptors and a Judicar is an Interceptor Detachment?

2) On the goonhammer page about what Detachments are, they have all these primary/secondary detachment things. Do all detachment squads need to fulfill one of these specific templates?

3) Can I put 2 squad detachments of the same faction but different subfaction in the same army? I.e. putting a Sororitas Seraphim squad in the same army as most Primaris Marines.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

DLC Inc posted:

I have some Detachment/Faction army questions since I'm still a little fuzzy on it:

1) I get that "battle-forged" is just adhering to the central Faction i.e. the Imperium humans, Chaos, Necron, etc. Detachments I'm a bit befuddled on. From what I understand, a Detachment is essentially just a squad? i.e. a group of 4 Grey Knight interceptors and a Judicar is an Interceptor Detachment?

2) On the goonhammer page about what Detachments are, they have all these primary/secondary detachment things. Do all detachment squads need to fulfill one of these specific templates?

3) Can I put 2 squad detachments of the same faction but different subfaction in the same army? I.e. putting a Sororitas Seraphim squad in the same army as most Primaris Marines.

Detachments are not squads, they're groups of squads.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

The one I have is red.

It's a bit longer than the old Citadel one, and the weird knob at the end stops turning freely when you put pressure on it.
But it has collets for multiple sizes of drillbits so it's got that going for it.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I just drilled a couple of holes in a whiskey bottle cork and used that as a holder for drill bits and needles.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Can extremely recommend the tamiya pin vise and bit set, rock solid build quality and very comfortable to use

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

DLC Inc posted:

Negative. A detachment is a collection of units. They cost CP to field and have minimum and maximum unit counts in them. For instance a Patrol Detachment costs 2 CP, requires at least one HQ choice and one Troops choice and has a maximum of three Troops and two of any other category, except for Fortifications or Lords of War which require their own dedicated detachment types.

Note that the basic detachments, Patrol, Battalion, and Brigade will refund you the CP cost if your warlord is part of that detachment, so if you're only playing one detachment you probably want one of those three. But if you want an all Elites army you can get the Vanguard Detachment, you'll just start the game three CP down since you won't get the refund.

You can read up on the detachment rules here: http://wahapedia.ru/wh40k9ed/the-rules/advanced-rules/#Detachments

As far as mixed detachments, you can do that but doing so forfeits most of the special rules for both sub-factions. Having the Seraphim as part of your Marine detachment will lose you access to the Marine Chapter rules and the Soroitas Order rules. Even mixing similar members of the same type, like having Iron Hands and Space Wolves Space Marines in the same detachment will cost you Doctrine rules. You are almost always better off putting your separate sub-factions into their own detachments, so maybe a Battalion of Ultramarines backed up with a Patrol of Sororitas, that sort of thing.

jng2058 fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Dec 15, 2020

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

DLC Inc posted:

jng2058 has covered what detachments are, but something that might help that it took me a bit to internalize is that detachments are about army building but not army deployment. So, if you make an army that has Space Marines and Sisters of Battle in it and you want that army to be battle-forged, you need to organize your Space Marines into one Detachment and your Sisters into another (maybe as two Patrol Detachments so each has to have one HQ unit and one Troops unit; and each can have up to two HQs, three Troops, two elites, two fast attack, two heavy support, and two flyers), then that all matters when you're putting together your army list and deciding what units to include in your army, but it doesn't matter at the start of the game when you're putting your tiny plastic soldiers down on a play surface. If you find yourself getting confused about this whole detachment thing because you're not sure how it interacts with rules like unit coherency, the answer is it doesn't and you're getting "unit" and "detachment" confused.

Keep in mind that "squad" is not really a game term. Armies have units in them, and some times those units are single models (Space Marine Captain) and sometimes those units are multiple models (five or ten Primaris Intercessors, one of which is a sergeant). Five Intercessors count as one unit of troops when building a detachment. So can ten intercessors, provided you take them as one unit. You could take ten Intercessors as two units of Troops, which would mean two units of five models, if you want two sergeants, but that would take up two "troops" slots in your detachment. But in any case, once you're on the table, you're moving "units" around, and "detachments" aren't really something you're worrying about anymore.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Stephenls posted:

Keep in mind that "squad" is not really a game term. Armies have units in them, and some times those units are single models (Space Marine Captain) and sometimes those units are multiple models (five or ten Primaris Intercessors, one of which is a sergeant). Five Intercessors count as one unit of troops when building a detachment. So can ten intercessors, provided you take them as one unit. You could take ten Intercessors as two units of Troops, which would mean two units of five models, if you want two sergeants, but that would take up two "troops" slots in your detachment. But in any case, once you're on the table, you're moving "units" around, and "detachments" aren't really something you're worrying about anymore.

Thanks for the helpful tips---I think I'm just trying to unlearn what terms like units/armies/squads/etc even mean in the schema of this game, and my dumb lizardbrain keeps falsely equating "detachments" and "squads" and poo poo as other things.

jng2058 posted:

As far as mixed detachments, you can do that but doing so forfeits most of the special rules for both sub-factions. Having the Seraphim as part of your Marine detachment will lose you access to the Marine Chapter rules and the Soroitas Order rules. Even mixing similar members of the same type, like having Iron Hands and Space Wolves Space Marines in the same detachment will cost you Doctrine rules. You are almost always better off putting your separate sub-factions into their own detachments, so maybe a Battalion of Ultramarines backed up with a Patrol of Sororitas, that sort of thing.

This sounds like what I assumed I could do, yeah---namely, having 2 Battalion detachments of Salamanders and then 1 Patrol detachment of Sororitas, if that makes sense as something I could do in a Battleforged army to deploy. I'm just getting used to the overall terms of what detachment/units/army translate into.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

jesus WEP posted:

Can extremely recommend the tamiya pin vise and bit set, rock solid build quality and very comfortable to use

Yeah this poo poo is like 3-4x the cost of the Chinese stuff you find on amazon but will never squeak or die on you

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
I got a pin vice set from a model train store, and it has served me well for years. It's one of those types of tools that isn't exclusive to just miniature stuff, so you can branch out to other hobby stores as well, depending on what you have available locally.

Attestant fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Dec 15, 2020

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

DLC Inc posted:

This sounds like what I assumed I could do, yeah---namely, having 2 Battalion detachments of Salamanders and then 1 Patrol detachment of Sororitas, if that makes sense as something I could do in a Battleforged army to deploy. I'm just getting used to the overall terms of what detachment/units/army translate into.

Sure, though a couple of things to keep in mind:

1) There's a hard limit on how many detachments you can have in your army based on how many points the game is. For the usual 2000 point game that you'll play most often, that limit is three.

2) Since each detachment (aside from the one with your Warlord in it, assuming that one is Patrol, Battalion, or Brigade) costs you CP to field, the fewer detachments you field, the better. So for example if you can squeeze all your Salamanders into one Battalion and then tack on only a single Sororitas Patrol, that's saving you 3 CP over two Battalions and a Patrol. Given that models are in general more expensive in 9th edition compared to 8th, you'll usually run out of points before you do detachment slots anyway.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Generally you just use a single battalion detachment unless you need more of a specific slot because of a build, like tau running two patrols with farsight enclaves to have 4 commanders.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

jng2058 posted:

Sure, though a couple of things to keep in mind:

1) There's a hard limit on how many detachments you can have in your army based on how many points the game is. For the usual 2000 point game that you'll play most often, that limit is three.

2) Since each detachment (aside from the one with your Warlord in it, assuming that one is Patrol, Battalion, or Brigade) costs you CP to field, the fewer detachments you field, the better. So for example if you can squeeze all your Salamanders into one Battalion and then tack on only a single Sororitas Patrol, that's saving you 3 CP over two Battalions and a Patrol. Given that models are in general more expensive in 9th edition compared to 8th, you'll usually run out of points before you do detachment slots anyway.

cool, I figured the point total was in reference to the patrol/battalion/brigade keywords for detachments. I think I get it pretty well now, thanks! Will help a lot since I'll probably not have a full battleforged army of just grey knights or battle sisters so doing a Battalion of marines and then a Patrol of one of those would work nicely.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

DLC Inc posted:

Thanks for the helpful tips---I think I'm just trying to unlearn what terms like units/armies/squads/etc even mean in the schema of this game, and my dumb lizardbrain keeps falsely equating "detachments" and "squads" and poo poo as other things.

Keep in mind that if you do this you'll lose access to Combat Doctrines (and by proxy the Doctrine ability from the Codex Supplement) for the Salamanders and also Sacred Rites for the Sisters..

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007
I grabbed a Blood Angels Combat Patrol box to turn into and shore up the Salamanders I'm making from my Indomitus Box (although I keep going back and forth between them and the Blood Angels; I haven't painted anything yet). Now I've got a fast whizzo transporter, and a bunch of the Incursors and Intercessors that I was recommended to get, and some Aggressors to get some of that fire juju.

The only thing I'm really missing right now that I apparently should get is an Apothecary, and I'm wondering whether I want to buy that guy solo, or just push further towards an eventual 2k and get the Death Watch Combat Patrol the Apothecary comes in and a bunch of other fellas (including more Aggressors!) for a bargain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
Personally my advice is with missions designed specifically for 1,000 point games I wouldn't rush to a full 2,000 point army immediately.

You can take time to play the army, get a feel for what you like, and paint them up to a decent standard before moving on.

Chief Apothecaries specifically are pretty busted right now, I suspect they may get some sort of nerf as they are probably one of the best units in the game.

Blood Angels specifically add a twist to it as sanguinary priests do other stuff too.

I'd probably get one now to have an option to put in a smaller army, and later if you decide you want to expand with the Deathwatch box still you can either have a spare or use him for conversions etc.