Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

A good turkey cooked well is rich, moist & flavoursome, as well as producing a tonne of delicious & versatile leftovers for all your festive weight-gain needs

Any other turkey just gives you the leftovers, but you probably don't want them

e: 1983 years ago, God appeared before Saint Paul, in private, to tell him that he was totally in charge of all the Christians now, no need to appear before anyone else & tell them, they can totally take his word for it

Borrovan fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Dec 15, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

a crappy turkey says more about the person that cooked it than the bird itself imo

e: just to add i hope that everyone has a nice time over the yule period however they choose to pass the days

kecske fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Dec 15, 2020

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Jose posted:

its incredible seeing some of the knots people are tying themselves up in to cover up starmer being poo poo yesterday lol

I was thinking (yes, really - ahem - anyway): seen so many comments along the lines of 'why don't you fight the tories' or 'don't you ever want to be in power' and the phrase "first take out the mote in your own eye" sprang to mind.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Octolady posted:

My Christmas has been made cause I just received some of Camrath's amazing fudge. Totally lived up to the thread hype!

If you see this thanks so much Camrath, this fudge will make some great presents :D

I’m just super stoked that you’re so pleased. Enjoy!

Darth Walrus posted:

Anyone tried the Irish cream? I haven't yet, but 'alcoholic and creamy' just seems like such an obviously successful fudge flavour.

It’s good, OP. And I don’t even like the liquor in non-fudge form!

Octolady posted:

I got the dark chocolate and chilli but if that flavour comes back I'll be ordering immediately

It will be back, I promise :)

Isomermaid posted:

Oh god a white russian flavour fudge...

White Russian is milk, Kahlua and vodka iirc? Putting vodka in would be a bit pointless as it wouldn’t really leave any flavour behind (being basically alcohol and water), but kahlua I could and will use in the future :)

Thanks again for everyone’s kind words and support throughout the past year! Right now I’m sitting in my new house playing with the PS5 that fudge bought, while watching the cats play hide and seek amongst the forest of moving boxes. And I can’t remember the last time I felt this happy.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

justcola posted:

If you're eating any game, watch out for the shot, a cracked tooth is not a nice way to spend Christmas.

I like watching old cooking programmes to see how unappetising the food looks and no apparent thought put to food hygiene

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kunuXThp51E

The wife and I watched a Two Fat Ladies episode a while back, and they just kinda push overboiled mush onto the table at the end.

Yum!

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Camrath posted:

Putting vodka in would be a bit pointless as it wouldn’t really leave any flavour behind (being basically alcohol and water)
Good vodka's got a nice bit of body to it, Russian Standard is a solid choice that you can get at any supermarket but I prefer whatever Polish stuff doesn't have the writing in English. I would eat the hell out of White Russian fudge.

Glad to hear you're doing well btw, didn't get round to replying at the time but your last update really brightened my day up :)

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Holy poo poo, that's some powerfully misleading wording in that title, especially alongside that thumbnail.

The Perfect Element posted:

but... we're colleagues, and I didn't labour the point.
Given that you offered absolutely no effective degree of opposition, I would say you did in fact labour the point. :v:

My sister in law is still off her shits. I tried explaining about bubbles, but she sat and patiently listened, then said 'right, so if someone leaves the bubble, then someone else comes in, its fine because then there are less than six people in the bubble, right?'

We are all going to die.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Ham is better than Turkey

Purple Prince
Aug 20, 2011

justcola posted:

If you're eating any game, watch out for the shot, a cracked tooth is not a nice way to spend Christmas.

I got sick over Christmas two years in a row. Year one was flu that happened to hit between 23rd and 26th December, thus making Christmas travel from a pain to a hell odyssey.

Year two was no-poo poo pneumonia which hit after my travel but before the event, and resulted in me spending most of my Christmas break from work in bed.

Might have something to do with my struggles to buy presents for my fairly large extended family while working overtime to make sure we were covered over Christmas break though.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Bobby Deluxe posted:

My sister in law is still off her shits. I tried explaining about bubbles, but she sat and patiently listened, then said 'right, so if someone leaves the bubble, then someone else comes in, its fine because then there are less than six people in the bubble, right?'

We are all going to die.

Is there not something from Harry potter you could draw a comparison to in order to explain it to her?

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Holy poo poo, that's some powerfully misleading wording in that title, especially alongside that thumbnail.

I'm more worried that there had to be an investigation to prove there wasn't a paedo gene

Like at least some people behind this must have thought they could prove that 'yes, it does seem like those races just have a thing for kids, it's just science'.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Currently planning my xmas meal of solitude (some nice ideas from this thread), so far i've got;

Cod or haddock in breadcrumbs (to honour the last fish we ever get after Brexit)

Devils in blankets, cause bacon!! and i like prunes so that might be an interesting dish

Latkes (i'm seeing them posted everywhere & an irishman needs spuds sometimes)

Stirfried brussel sprouts with walnuts

Roasted carrots & parsnips

Never bother with starters & desserts.

Oh and thanks to Jaeluni Asjil for the earlier post on the Fatwa regarding the vaccine, very interesting. :-)

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Ukmt I need your expertise in all things food to answer me the following question

What

the gently caress is this cookie cutter supposed to be

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Is there not something from Harry potter you could draw a comparison to in order to explain it to her?

Think of the bubble like Dumbledore dying. Once he's dead you can't bring him back to life, like once you leave the bubble you can't add another.

Do they bring him back to life in the books though? I dont know.

My family seem to be playing bubble bobble themselves this year, with multiple clusters of bubbled houses meeting other bubbled houses and the whole thing sounding loving mad after everyones been isolating all year. They keep oining me to join in this plague swapping fun, but even if there wasn't a virus I wouldn't want to be driven around to siblings partners houses and eat their bland food and listen to racism, so its an easy-ish choice. I'm more worried about my relatives who have lung diseases being swept up in this bullshit.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

SpaceCommie posted:

I've long been of the opinion you should just have pizza on Christmas day.

My family always got so agitated with one another over christmas dinner, tempers got frayed and days before everyone was paniking about the food.

Pizza, beers, whisky. Have a roast on a less important day and just lounge about on Christmas imo.

No one else agrees with me and now that I'm an adult I have to go round to other people's (family etc) for Christmas so I don't get to do it anymore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JKtqQjbfC4

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Ukmt I need your expertise in all things food to answer me the following question

What

a polar bear doing a pose like this?

substitute for your preferred kind of festive bear

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

What

Father Christmas with his head caved in.

Anyone doing sprouts, I'd highly recommend a little balsamic vinegar gets involved in the cooking process.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

What

Antarctica?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Just Another Lurker posted:

Never bother with starters & desserts.

Heresy

(Also roast the veg with either honey or pamesan mixed with flour it's nice)

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Someone pointed out last year that all sprout advice essentially comes down to 'cover up the taste of the sprouts with other things.'

Last year Iceland did sprouts with marmite butter, if you chuck some diced bacon in with them and roast them in foil they turn out a bit alright. But again, that's more the marmite and bacon doing the heavy lifting there.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

What

A raspberry?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Vigil for Virgil posted:

Ham is better than Turkey

Starmerite spotted, get 'im lads!

SpaceCommie
Oct 2, 2008

I'm escaping to the one place that hasn't been corrupted by Capitalism ...

SPACE!

Please don't dox me like this.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Vigil for Virgil posted:

Grease is better than Turkey

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Someone pointed out last year that all sprout advice essentially comes down to 'cover up the taste of the sprouts with other things.'

Last year Iceland did sprouts with marmite butter, if you chuck some diced bacon in with them and roast them in foil they turn out a bit alright. But again, that's more the marmite and bacon doing the heavy lifting there.

Noooo not the case with the balsamic at all! You shouldn't use too much so you still get that nice earthy richness from the sprouts. Why you'd cover the taste of one of the best vegetables I have no idea.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Bobby Deluxe posted:

It's simple, you have a 50/50 chance that your genes make sprouts taste palatable or like used underwear - if you are the former, you don't understand how anyone could hate sprouts, if you have the latter gene, you can't understand how anyone can let the vile things near your plate.

https://www.sciencefocus.com/the-human-body/why-do-some-people-hate-brussels-sprouts/
https://www.theguardian.com/science/blog/2011/nov/01/brussel-sprout-gene

Jakabite posted:

Noooo not the case with the balsamic at all! You shouldn't use too much so you still get that nice earthy richness from the sprouts. Why you'd cover the taste of one of the best vegetables I have no idea.

And here we have a person with the defective gene. (which is what stops you from tasting the bitter chemical)
MUTANT!

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Grey Hunter posted:

The wife and I watched a Two Fat Ladies episode a while back, and they just kinda push overboiled mush onto the table at the end.

Yum!

Random coincidence- Clarissa from TFL was my godmother.

Borrovan posted:

Good vodka's got a nice bit of body to it, Russian Standard is a solid choice that you can get at any supermarket but I prefer whatever Polish stuff doesn't have the writing in English. I would eat the hell out of White Russian fudge.

Glad to hear you're doing well btw, didn't get round to replying at the time but your last update really brightened my day up :)

I’m making Christmas present fudge this week, so I shall try a wee experiment or two!

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Jakabite posted:

It's because they taste like farts

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
I hate when people put bacon in with sprouts, I want to be able to taste the sprout!

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Grey Hunter posted:

It's simple, you have a 50/50 chance that your genes make sprouts taste palatable or like used underwear - if you are the former, you don't understand how anyone could hate sprouts, if you have the latter gene, you can't understand how anyone can let the vile things near your plate.

https://www.sciencefocus.com/the-human-body/why-do-some-people-hate-brussels-sprouts/
https://www.theguardian.com/science/blog/2011/nov/01/brussel-sprout-gene

And here we have a person with the defective gene. (which is what stops you from tasting the bitter chemical)
MUTANT!

Was aware of this in reference to sprouts because I hate them but didn’t know that the particular chemical is found in brassicas in general, may explain why I hate broccoli and cauliflower too

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/dec/15/uk-rules-for-christmas-could-be-reviewed-as-coronavirus-cases-surge

quote:

Options under consideration are understood to include reducing period the rules are relaxed from five days to three days, as well as reducing the number of households permitted to mix from three to two, although nothing has been finalised.

Another Whitehall source confirmed that discussions were taking place, and that if anything was going to change it was likely to be announced “sooner rather than later”.

I mean it's better than nothing, although I wonder if people will actually go along with it.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Camrath posted:

White Russian is milk, Kahlua and vodka iirc? Putting vodka in would be a bit pointless as it wouldn’t really leave any flavour behind (being basically alcohol and water), but kahlua I could and will use in the future :)

Someone already spoke about the vokda situation, so my contribution will be to consider other coffee liqueur.
Kahlua is very sweet, something the fudge wouldn't be lacking already. I use Patron XO Cafe for any cocktail that calls for a coffee liqueur, but I have it on good authority that Mr. black is the gold standard. (Since lockdown my booze budget has went all on beer so I've not stocked up my bar since finishing my bottle of patron)

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Jakabite posted:

Scratch that, reverse it. Don't serve sprouts unless you can cover the taste.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Noxville posted:

Was aware of this in reference to sprouts because I hate them but didn’t know that the particular chemical is found in brassicas in general, may explain why I hate broccoli and cauliflower too

same, I hate pretty much all the dark green vegs, they all taste bitter to me - my wifes family all love them.
I also hate fish, which always smells like it's gone off.

the first time at my inlaws I was served fish and a massie plate of kale, and had to gag my way through a meal.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Convex posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/dec/15/uk-rules-for-christmas-could-be-reviewed-as-coronavirus-cases-surge

I mean it's better than nothing, although I wonder if people will actually go along with it.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Disliking broccoli is a serious problem, given how drat healthy it is.

Everyone here likes broccoli, even the kids. One whom is a picky eater otherwise. Best served steamed, then drenched in butter, salt and black pepper.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Grey Hunter posted:

same, I hate pretty much all the dark green vegs, they all taste bitter to me - my wifes family all love them.
I also hate fish, which always smells like it's gone off.

the first time at my inlaws I was served fish and a massie plate of kale, and had to gag my way through a meal.

I had a green smoothie in Amsterdam a few years ago and it was delicious. BUT I failed miserably to take note of the ingredients. So the next day I ordered one in a different juice bar (couldn't remember where I got the first one) - extra large - it was horrendous. Loads of kale in it. I was violently sick shortly afterwards.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I hated brocoli growing up but generally like it these days. It's very versitile, unlike cauliflower which is only tolerable when baked in a puddle of cheese (and that dish ruins the cheese more than it enhances the cauliflower).

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

stev posted:

I hated brocoli growing up but generally like it these days. It's very versitile, unlike cauliflower which is only tolerable when baked in a puddle of cheese (and that dish ruins the cheese more than it enhances the cauliflower).

Cauliflower is great?? Put some olive oil on, salt and pepper and shove the whole head in the oven for like an hour to an hour and a half.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Cauliflower is a good absorber of curry flavours