Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Zwiebel posted:

I got a question about the Elemental Mastery stat, since you all seem to be more knowledgable about the game.

So if I understand it correctly, it mostly just increases the damage/effect of elemental reactions.
I assume the damage/effect of this is entirely dependant on the elemental mastery and damage of the character that actively triggers the elemental reaction, like, for example, triggering vaporize with Ambers fire arrow on a character that got wet because of Barbara applying wet with her attack. In this example, Barbaras Elemental Mastery didn't matter, since she wasn't the one triggering the reaction.

Now, to make this more complicated, a Mona puts down her Elemental skill, that causes repeated water damage in an area for a few seconds. Amber shoots fire arrows at this mess.

A) Wet enemies that get hit by fire arrows take damage according to Ambers stats, since she's triggering it. Monas effect or the source of the wet status don't matter for the final damage.
B) Pyro affected enemies that walk into the effect to get hit by Monas skill take bonus damage according to Monas Elemental Mastery, despite the fact that she's not on the field, since it's her skill that triggered the reaction. Amber being around to shoot fire arrows didn't matter aside from setting up the reaction.

Are both of these correct?

Yes, both of these are correct. The EM of the triggering character gets used, no matter whether that character is on the field or not. It doesn't matter where the aura element (that is, the element that was affecting the enemy before the triggering element was applied) came from.

There's a lot of subtleties involved in who you want to build EM on and who it's basically useless on, depending on how their movesets/skills work, who else is on the team and how difficult it is to control the order in which things happen. For example, Fischl doesn't benefit a lot from EM once you have her 4th ascension passive, because once you have that, any electro-related reaction triggered while Oz is on the field but Fischl isn't will result in a follow-up electro hit from Oz, which means electro gets re-applied immediately after the previous reaction so Fischl will very rarely be the triggering character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zwiebel
Feb 19, 2011

Hi!
Ah, aura element is a good way to call it, thanks for the heads-up.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
Does the drop rate on char ascension gems get better at some later world level? At WL 6 I'm really annoyed at getting 1-2 slivers and 1-2 fragments from hypos while also frequently getting no 5* artifacts - feels like a giant waste of resin compared to running two artifact domains with guaranteed 5*s for the same price. I think I've had one gemstone drop ever since the bosses became high enough level to drop them.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
The gem rate improves a little but barely. Like less than 10% net increase per ascension from 6 to 7 and probably similar from 7 to 8.

Imo I think you're just not really supposed to level to 90 for now. I think the idea is you pick up spare gemstones from weekly bosses and do the 80-90 ascension way down the line (like months from now) when you have a gemstone buffer from bosses and events (you might already notice a reasonable buffer of electro/hydro/cryo gemstones because two weekly bosses drop those rocks). I have 3 5* gemstones worth of cryo rocks just sitting around entirely from events/weekly bosses.

The 5* arti rate improves dramatically however, from 40% at WL6 to 100% at WL8 (another reason I'm putting it off).

No Wave fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Dec 15, 2020

kater
Nov 16, 2010

i get good leveling mats from world bosses more often than the element bosses.

its uh... random though. guess there are worst characters to hit 90 with first than fischl.

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hit AR50 today on my birthday, so almost maxing out Keqing (right now lvl88 with lvl89 Black sword, before some leylines in the evening) and hearing her birthday line was :yaycat:

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Are you sure you wanna take her to 90? You'll be missing out on a few purple books' worth of trickle XP by capping her.

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006
I have two characters final ascended so far and it doesn't feel like that big a deal, it's just burning your spare resin on ascension bosses. Once you get weapons out of the way and talents to the point they're gated by weekly drops, it feels a lot more manageable.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, on the one hand ascending so you can get the passive exp over the next year while you slowly level your dudes....lol. I'm going to ascend my main DPS and see what happens.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
while trying to convert all my green Freedom books to blue, I instead converted all my blue Freedom books to purple :shepicide: it's okay I didn't want to level any talents past 2

Pope Urbane II
Nov 25, 2012

Soothing Vapors posted:

while trying to convert all my green Freedom books to blue, I instead converted all my blue Freedom books to purple :shepicide: it's okay I didn't want to level any talents past 2

Follow my big brain plan and just level every character who takes those books past needing blue (even Amber).

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Realized I still had freedom books from the meteor event and earlier that i never used and dumped them into Barbara's healing. All the way up to level 8 with that constellation! Wait...

Whoops wrong healing.

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

No Wave posted:

Are you sure you wanna take her to 90? You'll be missing out on a few purple books' worth of trickle XP by capping her.

Brain worms for round numbers orz But I might leave her close by, I guess, did that a few times already. Especially since lvl90 doesn't improve her passive stat.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Not as bad as when I thought I was deferring my choice on all the BP talent books and the weapon and instead was picking the first of every option. Now I have dozens of prosperity books and no characters leveled the use them. And the sword. The sword is good at least.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Allegedly Xiao will use prosperity if you're into him. The prosperity users are all a little awkward (Keqing/Ninguang/Qiqi), no one easy like Xiangling.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I have Ning and Keqing and I like them in theory. Just no room in my team ATM. Let me convert talent books with a crystal core it something. Tia

Xiao would be nice though...

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Sanya Juutilainen posted:

Of course there could be some person that spent three and a bit days farming (26 artifacts) for Bolide set and dropped only Petras, but statistically, that's like one person from the whole playerbase, assuming ~67M players.
The point is it's going to suck serious rear end if that person is you, and on a less hyperbolic level, you can end up stuck in progression with no idea how long it will take to get past it or what you need to invest to get there. Nothing else in the progression systems has this problem: Given a level/ascension/skill/weapon goal, one can calculate the absolute worst case scenario in terms of how many leylines, bosses, and domains will be necessary. That's a real figure you can make progress toward, even if it's slow; every Oceanid fight won is one fewer Oceanid fight needed.

That said, leveling 80 to 90 is a pretty big waste of resin so yeah if your core team is final ascended it might be more efficient to roll the dice on artifacts instead. Marginal guaranteed improvement vs. low odds major improvement is harder to call. It might even be worth spending resin on weapon ore over exp leylines, though I think that always loses to artifacts. Weapons are 100% worth taking to 90 but it doesn't take magic ore to do it (I have two lv90 5 star weapons which are more expensive than 4 stars so it shouldn't be too bad), characters not so much right now and you basically have to spend resin there. If you do want a max level main carry I'd just bring them to 89; not sure how many books that'll save in the long run but it's probably a fair amount.

aparmenideanmonad posted:

Does the drop rate on char ascension gems get better at some later world level? At WL 6 I'm really annoyed at getting 1-2 slivers and 1-2 fragments from hypos while also frequently getting no 5* artifacts - feels like a giant waste of resin compared to running two artifact domains with guaranteed 5*s for the same price. I think I've had one gemstone drop ever since the bosses became high enough level to drop them.
Some folks have made a drop result spreadsheet to calculate this, but it's only particularly accurate for WL5-6 world bosses right now due to data entries. Note that if the numbers are more or less accurate, Chunks seem to be a 12% drop and Gemstones a 2% drop and neither goes up. This matches my experience with regular monster drops where WL increases don't seem to make the rarer drops more common so much as give greater quantities of the most common ones. Makes the passive of Sucrose more valuable, since alchemizing up two tiers of materials means two opportunities to generate free ones. No character boosts gem combines though, sadly.

As of AR50 you get 1-3 Slivers and 1-3 Fragments per boss, Chunks every now and then and I've only ever seen one Gemstone. Best way to think of it is to calculate everything in Slivers: The average at WL7 is 2.16 Slivers, 1.61 Fragments, 0.12 Chunks, and 0.02 Gemstones; as each tier is made of 3 of the previous tier, that's roughly 8.61 Slivers per boss kill. Final ascension is 6 Gemstones, which is 162 Slivers. On average you would reach that in 19 runs; at bare minimum you get 5 Slivers per run (2 Slivers and 1 Fragment), so at most 33 runs of a boss for one character to get to 80/90. That's between 760 and 1320 resin, or between 5-9 days.

I do still think it's worth it if you can level the character's skills, but that is 38 gold artifacts you could roll instead, or 2.28 million Mora, or 171 Hero's Wits, or 456 Mystic Ore, or lots of skill books or weapon materials. You do get gold artifacts as well so it isn't as dire as all that, but it's less than half what an AR45 domain would drop until WL8 when it's exactly half (at least for 5 stars; the domain will also drop tons of 4 and 3 stars).

Note you need 20 of the unique boss drop material, which you get 2.5 of at the same WL, so at least for final ascension those become effectively worthless as you will easily get twice the number you need. They have made those be used as materials in gadgets though (Wind Catcher needs 10 Hurricane Seeds), so there may be other ways to make use of a surplus down the line. Would be nice if they could alchemize into Fragments or something though.

ExtrudeAlongCurve
Oct 21, 2010

Lambert is my Homeboy

Tsyni posted:

Not as bad as when I thought I was deferring my choice on all the BP talent books and the weapon and instead was picking the first of every option. Now I have dozens of prosperity books and no characters leveled the use them. And the sword. The sword is good at least.

Good it's not just me. Except it was with my second battle pass so you would think I would have figured it out. I blame ps4 controls. And now I have two of the swords, goddamnit.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

it'd be nice if characters gained more exp the lower level they are compared to what you're fighting. like say if you're at ar45, you could go from level 1-50 just getting the ascension mats you need from fighting bosses. doesn't get you all the way up for free but it cuts the edge off of the grind a bit. they'd have to change how mp works a little but getting new characters up to par is such a pain

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Mihoyo's biggest inspiration was fate grand order, and you literally can only level up via embers (books). It's not a coincidence that so much of the game takes FGO's exact upgrade structure, between Books (embers), Mora (QP), and the 3 talent tree with books (Skills with Gems).

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

My wild rear end guess based on gacha game powercreep is that by this time next year we'll be showered in enough purple books to take any random character up to level 90 and the big grind will be farming the rainbow books to take characters to level 120

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Well the good aspects of taking wholesale of FGO's system is that it stayed the exact same in terms of evolving a character after 6 years since day 1. Once you reach level 90 (max level for a 5 star), that's it. Outside of Grails which adds levels but only up to a max of 100, and that just requires EXP+money.

The time gate in FGO is leveling skills because of the heavy money requirement and needing special, limited items for the last level of a skill.

Mang Tomas
Jan 9, 2007
Thinking of giving my Amos bow to Ganyu. What’s a better bow for Childe? Prototype bow (can R1) or the BP viridescent bow? No Rust drops for me unfortunately.

At the same time is Proto animus R1 still better than the BP claymore for Diluc? BP got crit rate but I’m not good enough for the bonus dmg by not getting hit to matter.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Viridescent Bow is arguably better than Rust R0 for Childe just because crit rate is that much better than ATK. It's a very nice bow for him (and in general).

I think SSpine is a bit better than Aminus but the gap will be a lot smaller than the gap between Crescent and Viridescent. I'll mention that it's not hard to get value out of SSpine's passive, it's pretty unusual to take damage more than once every four seconds outside of floor 10.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Dec 15, 2020

Razeam
Jul 13, 2004

Nya~
I like that Serpent Spine makes Diluc even easier to gear up since you get a lot of crit rate just from it and his ascensions.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Lol 300 Mora and a reminder to link email / phone number.

Qwertycoatl posted:

My wild rear end guess based on gacha game powercreep is that by this time next year we'll be showered in enough purple books to take any random character up to level 90 and the big grind will be farming the rainbow books to take characters to level 120

I'm guessing 6* artifacts.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Serpent Spine combined with his natural Crit Rate puts Diluc at just enough that a Crit Damage circlet will give him a mostly ideal ratio without factoring anything else in. At very high gear levels the SS beats even the Wolf's Gravestone (without the proc active) if you can maintain the buff stack. Considering how often Diluc sets himself on fire that can be tricky, but there's no grass in the Spiral Abyss where it would most matter so you be the judge.

Manatee Cannon posted:

it'd be nice if characters gained more exp the lower level they are compared to what you're fighting. like say if you're at ar45, you could go from level 1-50 just getting the ascension mats you need from fighting bosses. doesn't get you all the way up for free but it cuts the edge off of the grind a bit. they'd have to change how mp works a little but getting new characters up to par is such a pain
If they just made it so characters at or below WL*10 gained reasonable experience, it would be mostly fine. At AR45 you could level folks to 60, which is a reasonable baseline, but could still level them as high as 80, which you'd have to spend exp books to do. At AR55, the effective softcap, you'd be able to get folks up to 80 but would want them at 90, which still takes an absurd number of books. There'd be no glut of materials for players as they'd still be paying almost 200 Wits to hit 90.

I suspect this may change someday but not likely soon. Best short-term solution I can see Mihoyo going for is throwing more out during events and/or introducing 5 star experience books which will also come mostly from events. They won't do leveling naturally until there are too many characters and too much catchup for new players to reasonably hit whatever target for player power they want quickly enough.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
6* artifacts are inevitable since in another month or two all the steady players will be swimming in 5 stars and won't have anything left to do but to hunt for better substats.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I'm not going to have a whole lot to do for the next few months. I'm going to be pulling one new character and all of my relevant units are at 70/80 and mostly have their artifacts in an ok state (yeah I'll put two weeks into the cryo/hydro domain but it shouldn't take more than that). I think making XP expensive is a stopgap measure for this content problem.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Dec 15, 2020

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever
running the artifact domains is really discouraging. at least the weapon/ascension ones still guarantee progress if you roll poorly

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Arti domains give you arti XP and tbh unless you get omega unlucky (or are super picky) you'll have serviceable pieces well before you have enough arti XP for your team.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

No Wave posted:

Arti domains give you arti XP and tbh unless you get omega unlucky (or are super picky) you'll have serviceable pieces well before you have enough arti XP for your team.

i've been doing arti domains for about a month now and i've gotten, like, seven 5*s that are in any way usable at all (i.e. not Def%)

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

The White Dragon posted:

i've been doing arti domains for about a month now and i've gotten, like, seven 5*s that are in any way usable at all (i.e. not Def%)

when people say "doing arti domains" they mean at ar45
there's no harm in doing them at 40 but there's no real profit in it either

awesmoe fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Dec 15, 2020

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

The White Dragon posted:

If you've gotten 100+ golds and only 7 have substats that aren't defense or HP idk what to tell you. The odds of that are 1 in billions.

EDIT: If as the poster above described you've been doing domains pre-AR45.... rip.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

it's a given that we'll get more artifact sets as the game goes on, so i don't think there's any need for them to do something stupid like add 6* or whatever

simply putting in sets that allow characters to fill their role better or flex into entirely new roles is reason enough for people to keep farming away. they also haven't even touched the idea of 3/5pc sets that would allow you to mix with a 2pc while "wasting" no slots, or go full farming insanity and try to get an entirely matching set

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Qwertycoatl posted:

I doubt it, that's an MMO model, in gatcha it's about leveling up more things, not leveling the same things even higher. If they make it really difficult to bring new characters up to speed that discourages people from spending to roll new characters and weapons.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Plenty of gachas have had level cap increases. FFBE went from like 80-100-120. Dragalia has level cap increases as part of the spiral system, but thats mostly a feature to power up powercrept units.

The AR system is built to keep scaling indefinitely, a person starting out wont be immediately inconvenienced aside from having to wait to get the AR they need to continue the story. Theres a good chance that the softcap we have right now might also act as a catchup mechanic for people joining in later, if they suddenly boost the AR exp you get from dailies and spending resin they might be able to get to AR50+ in two weeks, something that took months for most of us.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

This week's abyss buff is another stupid geo thing (deal dmg when your shield is hit). Isnt it fun to have the character banners, weapon banners, and abyss buffs monopolized by a single element for two months.

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

The law protects no one unless it binds everyone, binds no one unless it protects everyone.

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Plenty of gachas have had level cap increases. FFBE went from like 80-100-120. Dragalia has level cap increases as part of the spiral system, but thats mostly a feature to power up powercrept units.

The AR system is built to keep scaling indefinitely, a person starting out wont be immediately inconvenienced aside from having to wait to get the AR they need to continue the story. Theres a good chance that the softcap we have right now might also act as a catchup mechanic for people joining in later, if they suddenly boost the AR exp you get from dailies and spending resin they might be able to get to AR50+ in two weeks, something that took months for most of us.

Ditto if they just add a bunch of character quests with generous rewards that fill that gap or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

No Wave posted:

If you've gotten 100+ golds and only 7 have substats that aren't defense or HP idk what to tell you. The odds of that are 1 in billions.

EDIT: If as the poster above described you've been doing domains pre-AR45.... rip.

no i didn't touch them until 45, i'm in the 50s rn