Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Treat it the same way I do broccoli, steam. Then butter, salt and pepper.

Edit, cat tax:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Convex posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/dec/15/uk-rules-for-christmas-could-be-reviewed-as-coronavirus-cases-surge

I mean it's better than nothing, although I wonder if people will actually go along with it.

If they're only doing it to go along with the rules, rather than because they udnerstand what the intention of the rules is, they won't loving bother changing their plans if necessary when the rules are changing this close to the day.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
re: Sprouts and genetics etc., a lot of people remember hating sprouts as a child but wouldn't hate them now because they've bred them to taste a lot less like internet cat drugs than 30 years ago.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Chantenay carrots cooked with garlic and thyme are a god-tier accompaniment for christmas dinner. https://www.olivemagazine.com/recipes/vegetarian/garlic-and-thyme-glazed-carrots/

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
I can draw a very easy conclusion to why the world is in such a state RE covid when there are still people going "no way, X is great!" after I literally linked that half the population will dissagree at a genetic level.

Thankfully it's completly unrealted to other levels, though I personally believe that there will be a higher proportion of smelly brassica eaters in the tory population (source, my inlaws are tories, they eat lots of green veg.)

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
I was not aware of that gene! Thought that was just a coriander thing. I clearly have the sprout-lover gene but I agree they have a certain farty aura to them, but more in a smelling your own farts than someone else's sort of way so it's fine

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Grey Hunter posted:

I can draw a very easy conclusion to why the world is in such a state RE covid when there are still people going "no way, X is great!" after I literally linked that half the population will dissagree at a genetic level.

I wil say though that anyone who doesn’t like beetroot is deranged and has no such excuse

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

If they change it to 2 households from 3, my main challenge is to sound sad and not too eager when I volunteer to be the odd one out

Guavanaut posted:

re: Sprouts and genetics etc., a lot of people remember hating sprouts as a child but wouldn't hate them now because they've bred them to taste a lot less like internet cat drugs than 30 years ago.

I do try to give things another chance every few years. I remind myself that I wouldn't have discovered that I love rhubarb if I didn't retry stuff that I disliked

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Ukmt I need your expertise in all things food to answer me the following question

What

the gently caress is this cookie cutter supposed to be

I think it's meant to be a hedgehog?

Camrath posted:

Random coincidence- Clarissa from TFL was my godmother.

You're way too posh for this thread.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Grey Hunter posted:

Thankfully it's completly unrealted to other levels, though I personally believe that there will be a higher proportion of smelly brassica eaters in the tory population (source, my inlaws are tories, they eat lots of green veg.)

My parents might have some questions to answer then because literally my entire family loves sprouts (even nieces, nephews, cousins, etc) and I absolutely can't stand them.

e: Actually now I think about it my dad couldn't stand them either but then he would put brown sauce on a roast dinner if nobody was looking so I'm not sure if there's genetics or some deep brainwrong.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

thespaceinvader posted:

Heresy

(Also roast the veg with either honey or pamesan mixed with flour it's nice)

Ohhh that parmesan & flour mix sounds nice.

Tbh i pig out on the veg so much i have no room left for the sweet stuff on the same day but i always have xmas pudding on Boxing day.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Grey Hunter posted:

But a lot of people don't like them because the sprouts that they ate as children were hundreds of times more bitter than modern sprouts so they might think they don't like them for genetic reasons when it's actually a childhood psychological association.

I remember sprouts tasting like rear end in the 80s and I like them now.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Comrade Fakename posted:

I think it's meant to be a hedgehog?

That and the polar bear are the most compelling guesses so far I reckon.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

My favourite is asparagus, which tastes fine but gives some people absolute stinking piss five minutes after eating, before you'd think it would have had a chance to work its way through your body.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

mehall posted:

Someone already spoke about the vokda situation, so my contribution will be to consider other coffee liqueur.
Oh god, coffee fudge would be incredible if done right.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

The only time I remember having Turkey for Christmas is when I was helping a friend out with Amazon Flex delivering and we stopped at a Toby Carvery for lunch and it was sometime in December.

I had Turkey because I couldn't remember ever having it at Christmas growing up.

It was alright.

Pigs in Blankets and Honey Roasted Parsnips are better.

Brussels Sprouts are good too when cooked properly.

Even if they're boiled, just don't boil them to mush.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

thespaceinvader posted:

Heresy

(Also roast the veg with either honey or pamesan mixed with flour it's nice)

I know this has been covered a lot in the thread but all of these kinda sound like adult versions of the things you use to trick kids into eating their veg, I've never bothered with anything other than a bit of salt and the seasoning from the meat when roasting veg. Certainly parmesan is just going to completely overpower the taste - I suppose it's okay for potatoes but even then I'd rather just cook them right (parboilied and fluffed in the pot, red hot dripping, little bit of salt, pepper and garlic over the top when you turn them over) because roast potatoes are an elite-tier meat juice delivery system and why spoil that with other flavour?

Mind you the only real trick I have for cooking veg is a tiny touch of sugar in the water if you're cooking peas - like just a pinch, maybe about half the salt you put in - it makes scrub-tier frozen peas taste like they're fresh from the garden.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Guavanaut posted:

But a lot of people don't like them because the sprouts that they ate as children were hundreds of times more bitter than modern sprouts so they might think they don't like them for genetic reasons when it's actually a childhood psychological association.

I remember sprouts tasting like rear end in the 80s and I like them now.

True. There is also genetic penetrate. We have so many interactive genes that there is a wide range of sprout hatred, even on top of the binary love/hate, and tastes do change as we get older. That coupled with breeding to make sprouts less... Sprouty may move people over being able to stand them.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Noxville posted:

I wil say though that anyone who doesn’t like beetroot is deranged and has no such excuse

It tastes like earth, it actually makes me gag. I might eat it if the only other choice was celeriac, but it'd be touch and go.

I love sprouts.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Grey Hunter posted:

True. There is also genetic penetrate.

:quagmire:

TRIXNET
Jun 6, 2004

META AS FUCK.
I was brought up veggie and so have never eaten a 'traditional' christmas dinner, in a way this means there is no real boundaries on what I should be eating like you might normally impose...I have contemplated a christmas style pizza the last few years, maybe roasted veg and stuffing? Potato? Bread sauce and cranberries? My world is limitless!!

I've also just thought about a regular frozen pizza and chips but I don't think my friends would let me.

edit: This is what I'm actually making this year; https://www.deliciouseveryday.com/mushroom-wellington/

TRIXNET fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Dec 15, 2020

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
I like broccoli and cauliflower but sprouts, beetroot and coriander are all awful in different ways

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

His Divine Shadow posted:

Disliking broccoli is a serious problem, given how drat healthy it is.

Everyone here likes broccoli, even the kids. One whom is a picky eater otherwise. Best served steamed, then drenched in butter, salt and black pepper.

Broccoli is OK but it's not as good as sprouts, and I would rather have cauliflower generally.

Also I haven't quite figured out how to cook it reliably yet. Sprouts are nice, cauli I can get how I like it, but broccoli always seems to resist not being wooden right until it turns to mush. Also it doesn't taste of much.

I don't know if there's something wrong with my sense of taste but cauliflower is a really nice vegetable, if you cook it until it's soft it has a sort of creamy flavour to it? My dinner the other day was just an entire cauliflower and half a bag of sprouts steamed then fried up in a pan with the end of a bit of brie mixed through it.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Dec 15, 2020

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
You're wildly overcooking your broccoli. Anyways roast it in salt and olive oil after a par boil to get it charred a bit

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

OwlFancier posted:

Also it doesn't taste of much.

It used to taste of more, I'm afraid the defective gene people are ruining our greens.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Glad to have the gene that protects me against sprouts. Weird that sprouts-lovers don't seem to take issue with their own genetic protections against other poisons, but are proud to be vulnerable to sprouts :thunk:

Broccoli is great tho imo

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jose posted:

You're wildly overcooking your broccoli. Anyways roast it in salt and olive oil after a par boil to get it charred a bit

I don't particularly like chewing on twigs though? Which is part of why I don't like it. It's very stringy.

There is a sweet spot right where it goes soft but it's a lot of faff for a largely tasteless thing when I could just buy more cauliflower and sprouts instead.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

I don't particularly like chewing on twigs though? Which is part of why I don't like it. It's very stringy.

Don't eat the stems, just the florets.

Brocolli is great boiled/steamed and seasoned with a sesame dressing.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Jose posted:

Roasting is best. No bother with par-boiling.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Z the IVth posted:

For people who like brocoli, you can actually eat the stalks! They require a bit more cooking but definitely edible.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Z the IVth posted:

I'm not super keen on throwing away half the broccoli either tbh. Or having to cut all the florets off.

It's just a faff.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

Jose posted:

This. Or, boiled and mashed in with some mash potato for green mash.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Also if you don't want to do crimbo you can do saturnalia instead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvURMFzcIqc

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Miftan posted:

For people who like brocoli, you can actually eat the stalks! They require a bit more cooking but definitely edible.

Well yeah but this is for the Owl who doesn't like their stringy bitz.

OwlFancier posted:

I'm not super keen on throwing away half the broccoli either tbh. Or having to cut all the florets off.

It's just a faff.

Carving up a broccoli is a 2 minute job with a paring knife, what are you going on about. If you're doing the stems as well dump them in the boiling water a couple of minutes before the florets and fish them all out at the same time.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

OwlFancier posted:

It's just a faff.

Peel the stem, cut, cook, eat. Roasted works for stems too.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
you don't even need to cut a broccoli, you can just snap the florets off

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Or I can buy a big sack of sprouts and dump them in the water and then eat them.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

OwlFancier posted:

Or I can buy a big sack of sprouts and dump them in the water and then eat them.

They also work very well roasted. Roasting is the best way to cook many vegetables. It reduces the water content and intensifies the flavour, and sometimes caramelises them too.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

True, and I do like to do that sometimes, but I will also happily eat them boiled.

Sometimes I end up eating them while I am waiting for the frying pan to warm up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Ms Adequate posted:

Glad to have the gene that protects me against sprouts. Weird that sprouts-lovers don't seem to take issue with their own genetic protections against other poisons, but are proud to be vulnerable to sprouts :thunk:

far be it from me to take umbrage at the humble sprout when in simpler times I'd be savouring bumps of dubious provenance off my house keys in a pub toilet