Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Weembles posted:

What happens when you press there?

No idea, will report back after xmas day :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

KingColliwog posted:

Definitely get back, it's so much fun and great exercise too. Knowing people isn't super important, just boulder (if you enjoy that!) and you'll get to know people pretty fast. Alternatively, there are probably facebook groups where you could ask and find a partner real quick. Covid sucks though and is an acceptable reason to avoid gyms unfortunately :(.

I think this is the first thing that will change when I get the vaccine, I will re-up my membership the next day. Was in a good 3 day a week rhythm before this poo poo show started.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

peter gabriel posted:

They look worse than they are, the company is Irregular Choice and it's their thing, making crazy rear end shoes I guess.
I dunno, I can't explain it but they work well in use, honest :v:

It's definitely their thing. I actually bought this pair back in October.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Awesome :)
I mean I wouldn't go rambling in them but my missus has never had any issues on nights out wearing them, they are an acquired taste though, I did get her some semi normal cat themed ones once

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

LadyPictureShow posted:

It's definitely their thing. I actually bought this pair back in October.

Those are so hideous, I love it.

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
Hell yeah hop on the chast-train, chastity for life.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

dudeness posted:

Hell yeah hop on the chast-train, chastity for life.

It's a lifestyle not a choice.

colas
Feb 14, 2007

Anyone know why these only steep 20-30 seconds? Any hot tea I usually get is 2-5+ min.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

colas posted:

Anyone know why these only steep 20-30 seconds? Any hot tea I usually get is 2-5+ min.

I would guess a combination of type and size. Green teas should generally steep less time than black, and small leaves less time than large.

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

"Maybe some dolphins have sex for pleasure."

colas posted:

For what it's worth, I have had two of the above varieties and have had no issues steeping 1-3 minutes on par with my regular green tea steeping.

Also I'm a little upset right about now that I left half a box of that genmai matcha in my office at the start of the pandemic.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I'm a gross American so I just leave the bag in the whole time.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
My piece of a dead roller coaster came the other day!

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Fancy leather book, looks great in person.

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

99 % caffeine free is 99 % not my kinda thing
So I gave open-backed Glerups a shot but I feel like the heel slippage will drive me nuts so I’m pretty sure I’ll return them – unless any of the Glerups Gang can provide a convincing counter-argument? I tried my usual size and a size down but the issue persists, and I think going down a further size isn’t feasible.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

My piece of a dead roller coaster came the other day!

still confused why they took that down instead of the headache inducing beast...

Also I miss the son of beast, literally felt like my chest was going to rupture... At least I got to ride the wooden loop!

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

fyallm posted:

still confused why they took that down instead of the headache inducing beast...

Also I miss the son of beast, literally felt like my chest was going to rupture... At least I got to ride the wooden loop!

There would be literal armed riots if The Beast was torn down/converted.

Vortex's manufacturer has been closed for over a decade, the ride was at it's service life end, and I'm sure the cost of maintenance was far over it's popularity. As much as I love it and it was a part of my life, it had to come eventually. Plus it opens up a plot for something modern and equally record breaking or interesting. The only thing I'm miffed at is the fact that they tore the station down too. It was reused from the previous ride on that plot and it'd be cool if they just kept it as the eternal station for whatever operates there.

And speaking of The Beast, it has just way too much history. Yes it's rough and has an odd layout, but it was literally made by the park themselves. The designer they wanted didn't want to build a ride so he just gave them advice instead and the park did their best. As a result they ended up with a record breaking super popular ride. Good video on it's history

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
As I was shopping for Christmas gifts I stumbled upon this small hifi system at 50% off (Denon N10). Immediately jumped on it to replace our 20 years old mini hifi that recently died.

For this price it's really incredible. The sound is excellent, and it connects to our WiFi meaning I now have easy access to all our streaming services, internet radios and podcasts, without using bluetooth. It's funny because I didn't know Denon before and I first thought it was some kind of cheap brand based on the very simple, basic design. Almost completely ignored it. Really happy to have researched it a bit in the end.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

As I was shopping for Christmas gifts I stumbled upon this small hifi system at 50% off (Denon N10). Immediately jumped on it to replace our 20 years old mini hifi that recently died.

For this price it's really incredible. The sound is excellent, and it connects to our WiFi meaning I now have easy access to all our streaming services, internet radios and podcasts, without using bluetooth. It's funny because I didn't know Denon before and I first thought it was some kind of cheap brand based on the very simple, basic design. Almost completely ignored it. Really happy to have researched it a bit in the end.

:psyboom:

Denon was (still is?) one of the top end audio manufacturers since before Hi-Fi was a thing.

colas
Feb 14, 2007

I've always liked these little systems. In the 90's spectrum analyzers, the bar type, like Winamp, were all the rage with small stereos. I wish that was still popular because you can't really get them anymore. The top two in this pic are the coolest.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Enchanted Forest in Oregon also has its own roller coaster that was made in-house by the park. It's still been operating since the 80s. You should look up a video.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

colas posted:

I've always liked these little systems. In the 90's spectrum analyzers, the bar type, like Winamp, were all the rage with small stereos. I wish that was still popular because you can't really get them anymore. The top two in this pic are the coolest.

For a minute I thought that was a screencap from this guy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-z4iw8Ppo1o

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I bought a Sony mini stereo in the late nineties that had one of those wild, multicolored displays. It could really put on a show. If the disc carousel hadn't died I'd probably still have it.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

The peak of hi-fi tech was when car CD players could show little movies of jumping dolphins during the music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ei7zqMWj3Aw

Also these CD players had wireless remotes for some reason.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Fire Safety Doug posted:

So I gave open-backed Glerups a shot but I feel like the heel slippage will drive me nuts so I’m pretty sure I’ll return them – unless any of the Glerups Gang can provide a convincing counter-argument? I tried my usual size and a size down but the issue persists, and I think going down a further size isn’t feasible.

Do you mean they act a bit like flip-flops when you walk, i.e. the heel doesn't stay on your foot? Mine do too and it's pretty much what I expect out of slippers of that type. If that's not your thing, then yeah, you're probably looking for the shoe-style versions.

colas
Feb 14, 2007

McCracAttack posted:

The peak of hi-fi tech was when car CD players could show little movies of jumping dolphins during the music.

also this. and my first Mp3 player, a Rio portable (like a discman) had an LCD animated person dancing.

The Earl of ToeJam
Jan 22, 2012

Fire Safety Doug posted:

Fwiw I got the shoe style ones for my mom and I guess she wears them pretty much all day every day.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

McCracAttack posted:

A friend from 20 years ago got the shittiest Ford Ranger hand-me down and thought he was king poo poo after putting a new deck in. I will never forget how he always used the wireless remote to change disks/tracks while leaned back in the drivers seat, easily in reach of the deck itself

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

99 % caffeine free is 99 % not my kinda thing

Trabant posted:

Do you mean they act a bit like flip-flops when you walk, i.e. the heel doesn't stay on your foot? Mine do too and it's pretty much what I expect out of slippers of that type. If that's not your thing, then yeah, you're probably looking for the shoe-style versions.

Yeah I found it quite distracting – perhaps I’ll give them another go around the house, but if I don’t get used to the feeling, they’re going back. I think the difference compared to flip-flops is the little raised bit: not fully open, but not fully enclosed either.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice

McCracAttack posted:

Those Pioneer head units were awesome and they'd probably still hold up to modern stuff. I had a few with remotes. I liked em cause once you learned where all the buttons were you could just grab that instead of looking over to the stereo.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Fire Safety Doug posted:

Yeah I found it quite distracting – perhaps I’ll give them another go around the house, but if I don’t get used to the feeling, they’re going back. I think the difference compared to flip-flops is the little raised bit: not fully open, but not fully enclosed either.

Yeah I can't stand that kind of thing either. Even without the little raised bit in the back it's still annoying because it doesn't really feel like flip flops (and it's not like flip flops are particularly comfortable) since the front can't be tight enough to really stick to your foot. Shoe style slippers are the way to go

colas
Feb 14, 2007

1redflag posted:

A friend from 20 years ago got the shittiest Ford Ranger hand-me down and thought he was king poo poo after putting a new deck in. I will never forget how he always used the wireless remote to change disks/tracks while leaned back in the drivers seat, easily in reach of the deck itself

this reminded me of getting a system with a remote for my Isuzu Rodeo. My friends ripped on me pretty hard. I also got fleeced by the stereo shop for it, and they had this great stereo club that I could be a part of, all I had to do was put 5 of their decals (advertisements) on my car. those guys were so nice!

colas has a new favorite as of 16:07 on Dec 18, 2020

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it
The remote was for being able to control it while you stood next to your car with the trunk open so everyone could see your dual 15s.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The best were the decks that you could pull out to prevent them from being stolen. Which you would then slide under the front seat cause who the gently caress wants to carry their head unit around.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

JEEVES420 posted:

The remote was for being able to control it while you stood next to your car with the trunk open so everyone could see your dual 15s.

Ah, the old Food Lion parking lot on a Friday night.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

The best were the decks that you could pull out to prevent them from being stolen. Which you would then slide under the front seat cause who the gently caress wants to carry their head unit around.

Lmao, I forgot about the removable face plates!

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I had one that flipped around to look like a removed face. That 97 Toyota Camry was the poo poo!

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I'm thinking about getting myself a new graphics card for Xmas this year. I did a bit of research and it looks like the RTX 3070 is the one I want, but it seems like everyone else in the world bought like 50 of them and are now stock piling them to sell for like 3x market price.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Yeah, the new video cards are about as hard to get as a PS5 or X Box Whatever. This article had an interesting take where hardware companies that can't meet initial demand for these product risk them sinking into a scalper pit where no actual people are able to buy them and software sales are stunted.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Solice Kirsk posted:

I'm thinking about getting myself a new graphics card for Xmas this year. I did a bit of research and it looks like the RTX 3070 is the one I want, but it seems like everyone else in the world bought like 50 of them and are now stock piling them to sell for like 3x market price.

it is generally impossible to find either the new Ryzen processors or any RTX30 series video card.

there are people selling their preorders

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Eh, guess I can wait until they're priced more reasonably. I'm not paying $1200 for something that brand new costs $600.