Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

https://twitter.com/dantebot_en/status/1338896165723467776?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J2DK
Oct 6, 2004

Playtime has ended.

toasterwarrior posted:

Doppleganger activation gives i-frames, decent for emergencies. What I've found tricky is chain Just Cut timing, I'm sure I've only done it by accident and I really want to learn it since it's very useful for boosting concentration along with the damage.

Also I guess I'm kinda disappointed at Vergil's block/parry; my timing is probably way off for the actual parry but also it doesn't really seem to be worth the concentration loss if you get the block.

It's also ridiculous that initiating doppelganger and then entering SDT doesn't drain doppelganger meter. It actually charges the doppelganger meter until SDT is over.

Edit: I'm wrong. It does take up both. I just have collected a white orb that I didn't notice.

J2DK fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Dec 15, 2020

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

J2DK posted:

It's also ridiculous that initiating doppelganger and then entering SDT doesn't drain doppelganger meter. It actually charges the doppelganger meter until SDT is over.

Holy poo poo is that right? So you can pop dopple, fight until you're about to run out, pop SDT, then either convert the replenished meter into SDT again or just go for another round of dopple?

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
Any advice on how to do the red hot kick after Starfall in SDT?

J2DK
Oct 6, 2004

Playtime has ended.

toasterwarrior posted:

Holy poo poo is that right? So you can pop dopple, fight until you're about to run out, pop SDT, then either convert the replenished meter into SDT again or just go for another round of dopple?

No. I'm dumb and must have collected a white orb.

I finished my platinum trophy and just tested again. My bad.

Spermando posted:

Any advice on how to do the red hot kick after Starfall in SDT?

Just hold the melee button during Starfall until the next move starts. I can't get it to trigger outside of battle, though.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

toasterwarrior posted:

Also I guess I'm kinda disappointed at Vergil's block/parry; my timing is probably way off for the actual parry but also it doesn't really seem to be worth the concentration loss if you get the block.

There is no real "timing" mechanic with Vergil's block. You just hold lock on, and if you have sufficient concentration, you block. It's basically a way to minimize the cost of a mistake at a small consecration loss; it's not something you should be actively seeking to do like Dante with Royal Guard. The "parry" is just Vergil reflecting projectiles at level 2 concentration or higher. This has been pretty extensively tested, and either the timing is so strict that literally no one has figured out how to do it "correctly," or that's all there is to it.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

I'm sorry to keep posting dumb twitter poo poo but I find it all entertaining because I'm an idiot.

https://twitter.com/pepsicore/status/1339326595027398656?s=19

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

Bonus EXP: 300
MVP: Ike
New Ally: Petrine, Greil, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Petrine, Greil, Mordecai, Lethe, Ranulf, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, MPID_BLACKKNIGHT, Greil, Ike, Greil, Ike, Black Knight, Greil, Ike
As busted as Vergil is, I still struggle with Furies, just can't get the parry timing down. I try to just do the SDT Beowulf pound to kill them on spawn but that's not always an option and then I spend a few minutes playing grabass with them. :(

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I have not played Vergil yet but I imagine Starfall/Stardrop/whatever that washing machine move with Beowulf is called is good for parrying

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Just jumping with beo can parry too.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Mirage Edge Stinger is my go to, even better when you're at high Concentration.

EDIT: Man, I'm never gonna be truly good at Vergil if I can't do chain Judgement Cuts :(

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Dec 17, 2020

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

The Vergil music DLC says that it's unlockable, but how do you unlock it? I saw a thing it was beating the game as Vergil, which I did (on Son of Sparda), and it didn't unlock it. Is it specifically for beating Devil Hunter or is it something else?

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

New Ally: Petrine, Greil, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Petrine, Greil, Mordecai, Lethe, Ranulf, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, MPID_BLACKKNIGHT, Greil, Ike, Greil, Ike, Black Knight, Greil, Ike
I legitimately never considered ME Stinger, that does the trick (heh) and floors them after like 2 so I can be motivated all over them, thanks!

Judgement cut chains are hard, but I think the easiest is from the first hit of aerial rave to practice the timing. It's honestly the only one I can consistently hit but so far I've only been punished for it by not looking quite as cool as I should. It is the ultimate shame for sure, but hey, baby steps.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I want Nico to yell about how stylish I am. how the gently caress do I make it happen

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Are you guys getting crashes while trying to load up Mission 19 as Vergil? This was working fine yesterday and now I can't do poo poo, was there a stealth patch or something

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!
I just played through mission 19 as Vergil several minutes ago and had no issues.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Ok apparently it was an issue with the new NVIDIA drivers and a thing I had to change in the config file. Back to learning Vergil, and glad that I now understand what to do to even do chain JCs in the first place. Now it's time to get the timing down to instinct...if it wasn't for my controller's jump button now beginning to stick :(

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJXjkih7bkU

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
something weird - the 2nd and third blue orb frag spots (but not the first) as vergil had my missing frags. BUT I DEFINITELY GOT THOSE ALREADY

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Man JC chains are loving sick as hell, cleans up like 90% of the enemies in this game once you get good enough to spam it consistently. I'm glad that it even just shits completely on Judeccas and locks them into a worthless parry loop; god I loving hate them and their ability to just tech out of any combo instantly.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
I think they don't teleport nearly as much if you avoid hard knockdowns and try to uppercut them after the third or fourth hit in a combo.

Strelok604
Apr 26, 2020

Why are they called "mirage blades" and not summoned swords? It sounds like capcom lost the trademark or something

Tiriganiaq
Feb 21, 2012
Sounds cooler.

J2DK
Oct 6, 2004

Playtime has ended.

Alkarl posted:

As busted as Vergil is, I still struggle with Furies, just can't get the parry timing down. I try to just do the SDT Beowulf pound to kill them on spawn but that's not always an option and then I spend a few minutes playing grabass with them. :(

I use helm breaker with Dante and Vergil. I use split with Nero. V, I charge a hedgehog with Shadow. You really only have to memorize one of their attack stances. When they crouch and hold their blade across the chest, they're about to lunge straight at you. The other two stances give you time to react. You will see them either running in the air or running to the side before they come at you properly. I find that it's enough time to jump and air trick/air hike as they teleport the first time and helm breaker on reaction to the second teleport/actual lunging attack. If you already knew this, then my bad. You can always put on the sword belt and spam helm breaker as long as they aren't devil triggered.

Strelok604
Apr 26, 2020

Furies were giving me trouble as Vergil, so I tried something out and found out that if you equip beowulf and mash jump, they can't touch you, flush hits them first every time. It was on SoS at least

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Strelok604 posted:

Furies were giving me trouble as Vergil, so I tried something out and found out that if you equip beowulf and mash jump, they can't touch you, flush hits them first every time. It was on SoS at least

Beowulf Flush also works wonders on Empusa Queens and Proto Angelos, BTW.

Tiriganiaq
Feb 21, 2012
https://youtu.be/pfsUqEIoaQI

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

J2DK posted:

I use helm breaker with Dante and Vergil. I use split with Nero. V, I charge a hedgehog with Shadow. You really only have to memorize one of their attack stances. When they crouch and hold their blade across the chest, they're about to lunge straight at you. The other two stances give you time to react. You will see them either running in the air or running to the side before they come at you properly. I find that it's enough time to jump and air trick/air hike as they teleport the first time and helm breaker on reaction to the second teleport/actual lunging attack. If you already knew this, then my bad. You can always put on the sword belt and spam helm breaker as long as they aren't devil triggered.

This is also good advice, and I appreciate it! Between this and ME Stinger, I think I've got them down now. The one floor in Bloody Palace with 3 Furies was a roadblock for me for awhile, but now I can get through without getting hilariously owned!

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Dude lied, that's exceptionally satisfying

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Sooo....am I getting this right?
Using Vergil's super moves uses full SDT bar outside of SDT but uses only like 1/3 of the bar in SDT? And Also I can just turn off the SDT whenever I want?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
It is a rather strange balance decision, letting Vergil do 3 or 4 supers in a row if you take the time to activate SDT. Not really complaining tho :P

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I like the implication that Vergil is more comfortable and practiced in his true demon form vs Dante

Strelok604
Apr 26, 2020

Playing as him really makes you wonder how he lost to Dante so many times when he can do all this

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Strelok604 posted:

Playing as him really makes you wonder how he lost to Dante so many times when he can do all this
Dante has

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Strelok604 posted:

Dante's boss fight answers that. He is just as bullshit.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

i had never tried royal guard before but i leveled it up and pulled it out against vergil at the end of dmc5se and had a blast

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

The bullshit AI Dante from 4 and now in 5 are basically what it's like for normal people/average demons to go up against him. He acts all cool and cocky but if he really wants to he will just turn on Royal Guard and walk in your face until you flinch.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Shame Boy posted:

The bullshit AI Dante from 4 and now in 5 are basically what it's like for normal people/average demons to go up against him. He acts all cool and cocky but if he really wants to he will just turn on Royal Guard and walk in your face until you flinch.

Yeah it's worth remembering that Dante as we are encouraged to play him is a dude who is constantly loving around at all times. I think the closest you get to seeing him in full Go Time mode is DMC1 and that's partially a product of it being the first but also is the time he beats the legendary supergodbeing that apparently clowned all over Vergil.

A Dante who wasn't loving around trying to look cool would be goddamn terrifying. Admittedly this is also true of his brother, Mr "If I look uncool during a fight I literally grow less powerful."

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
If I have a PS5 is DMC5SE worth double dipping for? I mean I know Virgil is DLC for PC but it is tempting to have it look shinier and newer, if possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Unlucky7 posted:

If I have a PS5 is DMC5SE worth double dipping for? I mean I know Virgil is DLC for PC but it is tempting to have it look shinier and newer, if possible.

It depends on how fancy your PC is. The big selling point over the PC version isn't Virgil but Legendary Dark Knight mode so how much fun you'll get out of that basically determines if it's worth the cost. I'd wait for a price drop at least.