Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Splicer posted:

Welcome to /bad/ point-based char gen systems. You can never completely remove char gen traps but you can minimise them and provide explicit guidance to avoid them. I have no experience with the system to comment on this specifically but I am going to :argh: at this as a false truism

e: and that's assuming you mean things like "dumping half your points into dex and the rest of your points into things that key off brawn", if we're talking about some options just being trash that is a whole other layer of avoidable
Shadowrun has every kind of trap option you can imagine, e.g. I don't know if there was ever an edition where cyberlimbs were generally good and not a noob trap. One of 6e's few improvements is they slimmed down the skills list so new players no longer see skills like swimming, scuba diving, and parachuting alongside actual good skills like stealth, perception, and firearms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Gobbeldygook posted:

, e.g. I don't know if there was ever an edition where cyberlimbs were generally good and not a noob trap. 

5e. Hand of God is a common decker build for a reason.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Absolutely no fantasy aspects. It's about a group of friends united by D&D but not about the D&D. It's basically The Joy Luck Club or Paddleton, but the reason they keep gathering is a campaign that hasn't been interrupted since 1995. Now one of them is dying, one of them is going through a messy divorce, and two of them are haltingly falling in love. Can the campaign survive? Should it? Directed by the Duplass brothers, it's D&D: Roll the Dice.

...music by the Mountain Goats and Bonnie Prince Billy

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Alternative Duplass D&D film:

Mark Duplass places a want ad for a DM offering 1000 dollars for a day's work. Someone responds but when they pull out the 5e DM's guide, Mark puts on a wolf mask and jams an axe into their skull

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

SkyeAuroline posted:

I think it worked in 4e too.

Specifically, the trick is you get a not otherwise combat optimized character one arm with really good Agility so they can shoot guns accurately with it.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
a Safdie Brothers film about a DM that's managed to book four D&D sessions back-to-back within the same day, with two of them overlapping, and has to run all of them

a Coen Brothers film about five people roped into a D&D session - none of them actually know how to play, but none of them are willing to admit it, so they have to make it up as they go along

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

SkyeAuroline posted:

If you're referring to the old "one cyberarm but with attribute enhancements on it and you try to convince the GM you're doing everything one-handed", that is exactly the problem I'm talking about. Cyberlimbs are not "generally good", it is a single way of using exactly one type of cyberlimb that also provokes table arguments. In a cyberpunk game replacing your arms or legs with cybernetics should make you a badass, but in Shadowrun they're noob traps.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

GimpInBlack posted:

10 to 1 they just rip off Jumanji.
Isekai D&D starring Jack Black & Vin Diesel, like literally the player goes "my dude looks like Vin Diesel." And then they roll a cursed d20 or something.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Subversive seems to me to be code for "we don't actually play D&D and still think it's for basement nerds".

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Just do a Knights of the Dinner Table style sports movie about competitive D&D. Just present it seriously enough and you are golden.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Gobbeldygook posted:

If you're referring to the old "one cyberarm but with attribute enhancements on it and you try to convince the GM you're doing everything one-handed", that is exactly the problem I'm talking about. Cyberlimbs are not "generally good", it is a single way of using exactly one type of cyberlimb that also provokes table arguments. In a cyberpunk game replacing your arms or legs with cybernetics should make you a badass, but in Shadowrun they're noob traps.

This is fair. There are more solid use cases than just the hand of god, but they do require understanding the system farther than a new player is likely to. I don't necessarily agree with your last point, but I think that's going to come down to a difference in the type of cyberpunk fiction we're interested (and hence possibly beyond the scope of this thread) and the focus of cyberpunk TTRPGs on styles that emphasize that "badass cybered-up protagonist" style even if they don't mechanically reinforce it.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Just do a Knights of the Dinner Table style sports movie about competitive D&D. Just present it seriously enough and you are golden.

This except as a Christopher Guest mockumentary.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Gobbeldygook posted:

4. Yes and they made it somewhat worse in 4e by buffing spirits.

*laughs in 5e*

Magic supremacy has gone off the charts under Hardy's tenure. It'd be huge in 6e too, but the rules are so incoherently written that it's hard to parse what is and isn't good, because they keep referring to 5e concepts that aren't in 6e.

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Glazius posted:

What even counts as a subversive approach anyway? Using Fourth Edition cosmology?

Oh no it's the story of a human warlord who died and became an exalted of Bahamut and now he's got to gather his old adventuring crew (some living, some not) to pilot the First Ark Out of Celestia and bring hope to the people lost outside the lattice of heaven!

They are going to try to make isekai fantasy harem anime mainstream

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Glazius posted:

What even counts as a subversive approach anyway? Using Fourth Edition cosmology?

They're going to switch to Pathfinder in the second act.

Although the idea of a shared narrative that parallels the lives of the players would be kind of cool, NGL.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

I remain firm in my conviction that true success would be found in a campy daytime series a la Hercules/Xena.

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!

theironjef posted:

Absolutely no fantasy aspects. It's about a group of friends united by D&D but not about the D&D. It's basically The Joy Luck Club or Paddleton, but the reason they keep gathering is a campaign that hasn't been interrupted since 1995. Now one of them is dying, one of them is going through a messy divorce, and two of them are haltingly falling in love. Can the campaign survive? Should it? Directed by the Duplass brothers, it's D&D: Roll the Dice.

...music by the Mountain Goats and Bonnie Prince Billy

I think this would actually rock. Make it a bit like the gamers, with their real world problems intruding into small fantasy vignette-style scenes and you're good to go. Heck, put an Ensemble Cast into it, it would be a fun movie to actually watch. Make it AO rated for the fan crowd and bam, cult classic. Also it reveals how DnD is really exchangeable because really, that story could be about anything, whether its a continuous poker group, fantasy football et al.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

That Old Tree posted:

I remain firm in my conviction that true success would be found in a campy daytime series a la Hercules/Xena.

Four regular main characters and one rotating fifth who gets replaced every few episodes as the player comes up with a new weird concept they want to run, them gets bored with.

Their story hooks get introduced, then dropped unceremoniously. The new character gets treated like a long-time associate by the other main characters. Nobody ever comments on this.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Four regular main characters and one rotating fifth who gets replaced every few episodes as the player comes up with a new weird concept they want to run, them gets bored with.

Their story hooks get introduced, then dropped unceremoniously. The new character gets treated like a long-time associate by the other main characters. Nobody ever comments on this.

:discourse:

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

moths posted:

They're going to switch to Pathfinder in the second act.

Although the idea of a shared narrative that parallels the lives of the players would be kind of cool, NGL.

There's a play called Of Dice and Men that does this, and it manages to be quite good, to the point where it's become sort of a cult hit that keeps getting revived at tiny theaters across the US. Highly recommended if it's ever showing in your area. Alternatively, it looks like one of the aforementioned tiny theaters recorded a production of it and put it on Patreon for a couple bucks. Not sure how it would compare to the live theater experience, but it's always nice to support the arts.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Character death all handled by Chris Pine looking out a window while a Shins cover of Landslide plays.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
It's going to be an isekai and Chris Pine is going to roll his eyes at all these orcs and elves because he's a jaded US military soldier.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Nuns with Guns posted:

It's going to be an isekai and Chris Pine is going to roll his eyes at all these orcs and elves because he's a jaded US military soldier.
Does remember that fantasy book where some orcs find a stash of M16s in a dragon hoard and become the version of Marines they show in recruitment commercials? later an actual Marine gets summoned and he's a terrified non-combatant who wants to go home.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Tibalt posted:

Does remember that fantasy book where some orcs find a stash of M16s in a dragon hoard and become the version of Marines they show in recruitment commercials? later an actual Marine gets summoned and he's a terrified non-combatant who wants to go home.

Grunts!

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

My Dad's Monster Manual

a response to the removal of racial penalties and asking the important question "these kids today, they're all trans!"

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

Cat Face Joe posted:

My Dad's Monster Manual

a response to the removal of racial penalties and asking the important question "these kids today, they're all trans!"
Am I missing something? This just seems like they showed pictures of D&D monsters to their Dad and asked what he thought they were.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Cat Face Joe posted:

My Dad's Monster Manual

i don't what

where are you getting that from

this seems really innocuous, did james introcaso or his dad make some bad tweets or something

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

it's a joke, cause dads and all. the book seems fine

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Cat Face Joe posted:

Get better at jokes

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

Cat Face Joe posted:

might need to work on your delivery then because that was not apparent in your post

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

Mors Rattus posted:

Get better at jokes

No.

whydirt posted:

might need to work on your delivery then because that was not apparent in your post

Yeah, I realize that now.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

GimpInBlack posted:

I hear a chainmail bikini joke incoming~!

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Nuns with Guns posted:

Ah, like the Monster Hunter movie.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
It's funny, you see, because some people are transphobic

C O M E D Y

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Dawgstar posted:

I hear a chainmail bikini joke incoming~!

Hey there’s at least one good chainmail bikini joke: (read right to left)

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

thetoughestbean posted:

Hey there’s at least one good chainmail bikini joke: (read right to left)

Before Dave Sim lost his goddamn mind and the comic descended into a horrorshow of misogyny, there was a good gag with Red Sophia about how stupid that kind of getup is.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

That Old Tree posted:

Absolutely. 25 eps per season, medium production values, kitchen sink every last D&D thing you can think of even if it doesn't really make sense, do one big arc and some non-story eps per season, and take it about as seriously as Xena takes mythology. Maybe have a (partially) rotating cast and just never mention it.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Elector_Nerdlingen posted:

Absolutely. 25 eps per season, medium production values, kitchen sink every last D&D thing you can think of even if it doesn't really make sense, do one big arc and some non-story eps per season, and take it about as seriously as Xena takes mythology. Maybe have a (partially) rotating cast and just never mention it.

This is, ironically, what Disney would actually excel at doing.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

GimpInBlack posted:

let Kieron Gillen write it and "rip off" Die!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Goa Tse-tung posted:

let Kieron Gillen write it and "rip off" Die!

Die is fine but they really should just adapt his Darth Vader run. Best piece of Star Wars media and it isn't even close.