Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

Maybe I'm the IOSM, but is this sincere? The whole thing reads like a parody to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gross Dude
Feb 5, 2007

Gross Dude

jjack229 posted:

Maybe I'm the IOSM, but is this sincere? The whole thing reads like a parody to me.

Nah, he is just a true believer :

https://mobile.twitter.com/WarClandestine/status/1324265430521962497

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
"I was about to totally do sex with a GIRL when she disrespected my God Emperor, so instead I drove to the Washington Monument and got very emotional."

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Scratch Monkey posted:

"I was about to totally do sex with a GIRL when she disrespected my God Emperor, so instead I drove to the Washington Monument and got very emotional."

Going from having sex with women to worship of a phallic monument is very on-brand for Trumpers tbh

To be clear I mean that as "their politics have distanced them from having sex with women due to their obsession with a fake notion of masculinity", not that they're in the closet.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Serperoth posted:

Going from having sex with women to worship of a phallic monument is very on-brand for Trumpers tbh

To be clear I mean that as "their politics have distanced them from having sex with women due to their obsession with a fake notion of masculinity", not that they're in the closet.

Echoes of the Greek mentality regarding male-male love and intercourse: women were considered so subhuman and unworthy of thought and consideration that they were barely worth sticking your dick into for the sake of having children.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Scratch Monkey posted:

There were also frogs in December.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Scratch Monkey posted:

Drove drunk to the Washington Monument, unless I've misinterpreted what he meant by "taking the rest of the bottle of Syrah to the face."

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Scratch Monkey posted:

e: f, b
All the DC residents are having a field day with the frogs croaking in a cold December.

Re the Syrah, I think she threw it at him. Sadly, outside the bottle.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Anyone who lists their MOS in the twitter bio should be ignored. Doubly so for 11 series

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
More from Mr. Chicago

Call for a redo appear to have ended.... Back to some plain ol' fake news.

Not sure what stage of grief this is;

Not sure what this is at all

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Tony Phillips posted:

More from Mr. Chicago

Call for a redo appear to have ended.... Back to some plain ol' fake news.

Not sure what stage of grief this is;

Not sure what this is at all

It's cool that the right has its own version of the Beto calf cramp lady I guess.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

she was on top of me when my blackout drapes fell down, revealing my kekistan flag and case full of anime figurines

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

:thunk:

https://twitter.com/nikkodesu_/status/1338526323275427848

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
I have a former co-worker (orange) that I will likely never interact with in person ever again. But his friends are too good a source... Light blue is one of the crazier ones.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

That’s just common knowledge lol. Ask any nurse.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Cythereal posted:

Echoes of the Greek mentality regarding male-male love and intercourse: women were considered so subhuman and unworthy of thought and consideration that they were barely worth sticking your dick into for the sake of having children.

One Greek mentality, and mostly Aristotle's at that. While the idea that women were less than men in some way was pretty standard, there was a lot of variation in thought on women and love/sex between men over the centuries in the different city states. Probably the most common idea about it, though, was that love and sex between men didn't have any bearing on love and sex between men and women; they were different things that served different purposes.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I said it before and I'll say it again, RIP minoans, the good greeks

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Hat der Lack gesoffen oder was?

Well, I've always had a bad view of Volkswirte, so maybe they aren't just figuratively Nazis :thunk:

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

there wolf posted:

One Greek mentality, and mostly Aristotle's at that. While the idea that women were less than men in some way was pretty standard, there was a lot of variation in thought on women and love/sex between men over the centuries in the different city states.
Athens kept women indoors and out of sight; Spartan women had it much better.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

there wolf posted:

One Greek mentality, and mostly Aristotle's at that. While the idea that women were less than men in some way was pretty standard, there was a lot of variation in thought on women and love/sex between men over the centuries in the different city states. Probably the most common idea about it, though, was that love and sex between men didn't have any bearing on love and sex between men and women; they were different things that served different purposes.

Ones for fun and one is for babies. That's self evident.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

hawowanlawow posted:

I said it before and I'll say it again, RIP minoans, the good greeks

hell yeah, I love those little guys

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Athens kept women indoors and out of sight; Spartan women had it much better.

Spartan women who weren't in the slave class that made up like 80-90% of people in Sparta.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Skwirl posted:

Spartan women who weren't in the slave class that made up like 80-90% of people in Sparta.

Great catch. My stupidity.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean they weren’t Spartans they were an enslaved neighbor which Athens did as well.

Not to the level but what Sparta did was fairly common

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

pretty sure you could be born to spartan citizens and still be deemed weak and relegated to the underclass

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

hawowanlawow posted:

pretty sure you could be born to spartan citizens and still be deemed weak and relegated to the underclass

Not generally. Being born a spartan citizen was basically the only way to become one, which ended up relegating them to the dustbin of history. One lost battle could mean a significant chunk of proper spartans dead and there was no way to get more.

Athenians meanwhile were enormous misogynists but the slave/foreigner/citizen population was a lot less lopsided.

Also a fun quirk is that while the west mostly loves athenians nowadays because they "invented democracy" and most of the famous philosphers were athenian, there was a long period where the US, France, Germany, and probably other countries all strongly identified with the spartans because they were brave stoic citizen-warrior types who fought a smug and perfidious mercantile adversary who could only win on the sea :britain:

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 23:00 on Dec 15, 2020

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Hey

The Athenians lost at sea too

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

RoboRodent posted:

The best renting experience of my entire life is my current one, where I rent in a building owned by a very large Canada-wide company. Everything is extremely by the books because they're too big to get away with anything else, there is a 24-hour maintenance hotline and the longest I've ever had to wait is a couple hours for someone to show up in person (and the fact that I had to wait even that long was "hey you mind if I finish my lunch first since it's not an emergency?" and I said that was fine). They'll still nickel and dime you, but it does make me think about the practicality of nationalized housing.

I live in a council house, councils basically being local government the same size as a town council and it’s as glorious as you imagine and more.

They have a whole department full of workmen who turn up in a van to fix the smallest stuff in a few days or a big thing in under an hour. It’s basically impossible to get me out of here as my tenancy agreement is so strong. As many pets as you like so long as you don’t crazy hoard, and a maximum of 8 chickens. My rent is protected and subsidised. I can decorate the house however the hell I like. I can do as many home improvements as I like. I can build outbuildings up to 12x8 ft without permission, I bought house insurance up to £50k for an extra £1 a week on my rent. They gave me a new kitchen, they re-did the pebbledash and last year I got a new roof.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Lol, that's less restrictive than a lot of HOAs in suburban hell here in the good 'ol land of freedom.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

My grandmother had a council house and yeah, they are really loving lush if you can get one compared to private sector rentals.

The house was a bit of a mess when she moved in but she fixed it up a bunch, which the council I'm sure were very happy about. But yeah if you're not making structural changes to it you can treat it a lot like a privately owned thing, she redid the garden a bunch and repainted everywhere without worrying. And as you say, all the maintenence is done by the council so it was all decent work and she got things like new windows put in as part of scheduled renovations. When she died we just let them know and moved all the stuff we could out/handed it off to other people on the estate who wanted it. Gave the lady over the road the bed frames for her bairns and that cos she brought her own furniture. And we didn't hear anything else from them, so I assume they just sent someone in to repaint the bits where the wardrobes were and give it a tidy.

I would love a council house.

OwlFancier has a new favorite as of 23:14 on Dec 15, 2020

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I have basically no idea what living in Britain is like but based on these descriptions I'm extremely unsurprised that british chuds on social media hate council houses

e: sorry I believe the correct term is gammon

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 23:18 on Dec 15, 2020

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Thatcher sold a lot of them to the people living in them, and in so doing created an entire generation of gammons who became immediately obsessed with house prices and now we live in tory hell and house prices might as well be located on the loving moon for all anyone can afford them without selling another house to buy them.

The problem with neoliberalism is you eventually run out of other people's state assets to strip.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

https://twitter.com/ABC7/status/1338953679370641409

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Aww he deleted it. un/luckily I still had it in a tab.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm sure I read a thing once that basically said every one of these "heartwarming" stories are just "why the gently caress is this a thing people have to do?"

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

I'm sure I read a thing once that basically said every one of these "heartwarming" stories are just "why the gently caress is this a thing people have to do?"

Yeah. My gf has an annual tradition where she and her Mum watch the Pride of Britain Awards over a bottle of wine and gently blub at the 'heartwarming' stories. Some of them are genuinely good, like a kid who bodily pulled his unconscious grandfather out of the sea onto some rocks and saved him from death by hypothermia. But a lot of them are exactly the sort of 'struggled against nearly overwhelming odds [that should never have existed in the first place]' or 'started a charity to tackle an issue [that should be a state responsibility and probably was until 10 years ago]' stuff that, for me at least, is the exact opposite of heartwarming.

I am no longer allowed to watch the Awards with them...

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

BalloonFish posted:

Yeah. My gf has an annual tradition where she and her Mum watch the Pride of Britain Awards over a bottle of wine and gently blub at the 'heartwarming' stories. Some of them are genuinely good, like a kid who bodily pulled his unconscious grandfather out of the sea onto some rocks and saved him from death by hypothermia. But a lot of them are exactly the sort of 'struggled against nearly overwhelming odds [that should never have existed in the first place]' or 'started a charity to tackle an issue [that should be a state responsibility and probably was until 10 years ago]' stuff that, for me at least, is the exact opposite of heartwarming.

I am no longer allowed to watch the Awards with them...

:sever:

at least from the mom.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts
Hmm, yes, what would Washington, who famously lobbied vocally for the legitimacy of the electoral college, had to be persuaded to accept the Presidency, and voluntarily left the post, do? :hmmyes:

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

Yeah it's basically "heartwarming, this child raised $1,000 to save four of his classmates from the child organ harvester!" and then people from other countries go "why does your country have a child organ harvester?" and get the response "without a child organ harvester who would harvest the child organs??? :confused: "

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

vyelkin posted:

Yeah it's basically "heartwarming, this child raised $1,000 to save four of his classmates from the child organ harvester!" and then people from other countries go "why does your country have a child organ harvester?" and get the response "without a child organ harvester who would harvest the child organs??? :confused: "

To be fair that’s an airtight argument