Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

OwlFancier posted:

The critical thing with this, which perhaps ties into guavanaut's earlier post about safety, is that when puberty is the thing you are unsure about then you can't just wait until you're feeling more sure, because that's going to happen to you without intervention. And yes, delaying it might not be ideal, it might end up not being what you want, but evidence suggests that just allowing what is for everyone an unpleasant thing and for some people an actually loving deadly thing to happen because you think that only positive action carries moral culpability, then that's just killing people to salve your conscience.

Having read your quote of my quote I think I worded it badly: I hope people understood what I meant, I'm having trouble putting it into words! Basically, I'm saying that what I've picked up is that if you prevent kids having puberty blockers, you may be causing then to go through puberty and iireversible changes.

VV and what Bobby Deluxe says below - they don't stop it, just postpone it.

Page snipe:

Oooh miss, I know this one - to '86' someone is to get rid of or throw them out. (American friends frequently posted on FB about 86ing Trump). This is because the form you have to use is an AT6.
Also, in parts of the UK, form AT6 is to do with evictions.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Dec 15, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

The critical thing with this, which perhaps ties into guavanaut's earlier post about safety, is that when puberty is the thing you are unsure about then you can't just wait until you're feeling more sure, because that's going to happen to you without intervention. And yes, delaying it might not be ideal, it might end up not being what you want, but evidence suggests that just allowing what is for everyone an unpleasant thing and for some people an actually loving deadly thing to happen because you think that only positive action carries moral culpability, then that's just killing people to salve your conscience.
And again, if you do change your mind, you stop taking the pills and it happens as it would have before.

I wish there was a snappier way of saying 'puberty delayers' because that's what they are.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I think possibly the easiest thing to do with the people who are against puberty blockers for trans or NB or questioning teens is to find out where they are on the issue of 'corrective' surgery for intersex infants and prepubescent children.

If they're for it, they're hypocrites who just want to keep things 'simple' at the expense of children, and might need to consider that.
If they're against it, great, there's something far more damaging that they can campaign against.
If they've never heard of it, they might find themselves going down a whole different rabbit hole to the anti-trans one.

Any of those is a preferable outcome.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Having read your quote of my quote I think I worded it badly: I hope people understood what I meant, I'm having trouble putting it into words! Basically, I'm saying that what I've picked up is that if you prevent kids having puberty blockers, you may be causing then to go through puberty and iireversible changes.

No I think I got you, it was more the person you were talking about seemingly treating puberty as a neutral thing, whereas the important thing to recognize is that it isn't, just because it happens on its own and requires positive action to prevent or forestall doesn't mean that it is value neutral. Getting sick and dying happens on its own but we still try to prevent that for a while.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
why is every MP in the labour party so loving poo poo

https://twitter.com/HowUpsetting/status/1338933330348216328?s=20

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Private Speech posted:

That might be, my knowledge of English Latin pronunciation is a bit patchy. I went to a fairly posh classics-oriented school in eastern europe so I never learned all the details of it (eastern european countries naturally have their own weirdo modern Latin pronunciation, but we did learn classical as well and we've also gotten to go to a classics conference in London so I've had some exposure to the English one).

I did Latin in school and we were just taught the reconstructed Roman pronunciation. I think that's pretty typical here unless you're a Catholic maybe :shrug:

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

feedmegin posted:

I did Latin in school and we were just taught the reconstructed Roman pronunciation. I think that's pretty typical here unless you're a Catholic maybe :shrug:

I did Latin back in the year dot (but post Roman Britain) - 1973/4 to be precise.

As an example, we were taught that 'princeps' was pronounced 'prin-keps' which I think is the reconstructed Roman pronunciation not 'princheps'

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

In other, less horrible news:

Ofcom boss declares it ‘extremely inappropriate’ for BBC to ‘balance’ trans people with anti-trans activists

quote:

Ofcom chief executive Melanie Dawes made the comments before parliament’s Digital, Culture, Media and Sport Committee on Tuesday (15 December), when asked about the BBC’s current editorial practice of requiring critical voices in all discussions relating to transgender people.

PinkNews is aware of at least one case in which a BBC programme invited an all-transgender panel to discuss their experiences and varied views on gender recognition – before an intervention by the broadcaster’s editorial policy unit required the inclusion of a cisgender woman with ‘gender critical’ views.

In another instance, an online report on healthcare waiting times for transgender people was altered to include unrelated trans-hostile commentary from the pressure group LGB Alliance.

Scottish National Party MP John Nicolson, himself a seasoned former BBC news broadcaster, said: “I noticed that the BBC seems to be under the impression that it’s got to ‘balance’ all its reports about trans issues so by calling in transphobic groups like the so-called LGB Alliance to give a counter-argument.

“I think this is absurd because you would never do a report on racism, for example, and call in a racist organisation to say that they don’t think that Black people have a right to equality.

“What can the BBC do to address this, and do you think it’s buckling under a very well-funded concerted campaign to attack trans people, which seems to have been given undue prominence recently?”

Dawes responded: “I think it’s a very good point and actually a very good example of something that that we’ve been talking to Stonewall about, actually… about how can the broadcasters, when they do feel they need to bring balance into a debate, do it in an appropriate way, rather than in the way that you just described, which can be extremely inappropriate.

“I don’t think that there is a lack of will here by the BBC or others, but I do think that we can do more to give people the information they need, to be able to make judgments in some areas which can be quite contentious… to make sure that they’re doing the right thing.”

Nicolson reflected: “I remember making a documentary for the BBC about all the areas in which gay people were discriminated by law in the 1990s.

“I remember coming back and my commissioning editor said that he enjoyed the film, but he wanted to know why I didn’t have more anti-gay voices in the film. Can you imagine anybody saying that now?

“They wouldn’t, of course, and yet the way that the BBC is behaving with trans people at the moment, shows that that mindset is still in existence, 25-30 years on.

“Many of the arguments that are used to attack trans people now are the same arguments that were used to take gay people in the 1990s.”

Dawes responded: “I can only agree with you. I’m just so glad that things have moved on over these last decades, but there is still more we need to do.

“I do agree with you. What we’re going to try to do is to engage with Stonewall, who have raised this actively with us…and make sure that we give the right information to our broadcasters, so that they can steer their way through without causing offence and without bringing inappropriate voices to the table on questions like this.”

Asked if she could imagine the BBC hiring a transgender newsreader, Dawes said: “It’s something that I can imagine, actually. I’d like to think it’s something that we will see in the future.”

Nicolson responded: “I think maybe only in a Hollywood drama in the very near future. I think the day when we see a trans person present the news is very far distant.

“Like you, I think it would be a wonderful thing, but I don’t think the BBC would be brave enough to do it, to be blunt.”

Asked if Ofcom monitored representation of trans people in the industry in the same way as it does for other minority groups, she said: “It’s one of the areas where you do get into quite small numbers quite quickly, so it can be quite challenging to collect the data, but nonetheless it is very important, so we’re going to be following up on on a number of these points with the broadcasters over the coming year.”

Nicolson has previously challenged the BBC’s new director-general Tim Davie on the corporation’s approach to trans issues.

https://twitter.com/MrJohnNicolson/status/1338804523905716231?s=19

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Going to go a little TV IV for a moment.

Just finished Industry and for the first time ever in my TV watching career I have wanted absolutely every single character to fail. Never have I seen characters subjugated to awful behaviour and thought "I don't care".

Also found it very exploitative of a group of young actors at the start of their careers. Having said that I did like the amount of dong on display.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I did Latin back in the year dot (but post Roman Britain) - 1973/4 to be precise.

As an example, we were taught that 'princeps' was pronounced 'prin-keps' which I think is the reconstructed Roman pronunciation not 'princheps'

I did Latin at school from probably '90-'98? And I never knew there was another pronunciation besides the hard 'c'.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Maugrim posted:

I did Latin at school from probably '90-'98? And I never knew there was another pronunciation besides the hard 'c'.

It was quite common I think to pronounce the 'c' as 'ch' or 's' depending on the word. Ecclesiastical I think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3Hx0NIa3Yw

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Dec 16, 2020

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

notaspy posted:

Huh, never heard of it. Let me just Google the premise

quote:

Young finance graduates

Let me just stop you right there,

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Classical latin afaik only has the hard c, but yes the church basically does all sorts with it, the heathens.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Huh, never heard of it. Let me just Google the premise

Let me just stop you right there,

I wish I had but my partner was into it, so I had to go along with it.

I get to pick the next thing we watch, is there anything ultra-leftwing I can use as a palate cleanser

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

notaspy posted:

I wish I had but my partner was into it, so I had to go along with it.

I get to pick the next thing we watch, is there anything ultra-leftwing I can use as a palate cleanser

Land and Freedom's pretty good.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I really don't get how people watch most TV, like how am I supposed to be invested in a show about some posh twats loitering around a tip and grabbing bits of auld shite so they can get their weird mates to put hours of work on thousands of pounds of machinery and training so they can sell it to some gormless other posh people for a hundred quid? Or watch horrible yuppies buy knackered houses and do cowboy basic repairs so they can rent them out like the parasites they are?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Yeah they sound like right plebs.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

notaspy posted:

Just finished Industry and for the first time ever in my TV watching career I have wanted absolutely every single character to fail. Never have I seen characters subjugated to awful behaviour and thought "I don't care".

Going by this interview with the writers it seems like you got what they were going for then

quote:

“If you’ve watched the show closely, you know exactly what decision Harper is going to make at the end. You expect her to behave in a certain way, maybe because of her economic background, and gender and race. But if you sift through every episode, Harper is totally self-interested. Every single scene where there’s a choice that could benefit either her or someone else, she’s choosing herself.”

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

I really don't get how people watch most TV, like how am I supposed to be invested in a show about some posh twats loitering around a tip and grabbing bits of auld shite so they can get their weird mates to put hours of work on thousands of pounds of machinery and training so they can sell it to some gormless other posh people for a hundred quid? Or watch horrible yuppies buy knackered houses and do cowboy basic repairs so they can rent them out like the parasites they are?
Sounds like half hour long informative episodes of
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7EgQXMV8nM

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

you are aware day time tv is not the totality of telly right

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

OwlFancier posted:

Or watch horrible yuppies buy knackered houses and do cowboy basic repairs so they can rent them out like the parasites they are?

homes under the hammer used to be the absolute apex of daytime television, now its all professional property flippers and local land barons

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

So, like these discussions of racism and transphopbia and labor leadership are super important, but I don't understand how like the #1 topic of discussion in the UK is the looming hard Brexit in 16 (!) days. Like, what's the plan for food, medicine, and stuff like sodium hypochlorite for water treatment? I mean, if I was on a a prescription treatment for anything, I would be hard-core freaking right now. Seems like HMG has nothing? No plan, no hail mary prep? Nothing but weaksauce attempts at 'discussions' with the EU? I mean WTF?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

kustomkarkommando posted:

you are aware day time tv is not the totality of telly right

Oh yeah there's like, coronation street, erm, quiz shows...

casualty? Is casualty still on?

poirot?

Bone Crimes posted:

So, like these discussions of racism and transphopbia and labor leadership are super important, but I don't understand how like the #1 topic of discussion in the UK is the looming hard Brexit in 16 (!) days. Like, what's the plan for food, medicine, and stuff like sodium hypochlorite for water treatment? I mean, if I was on a a prescription treatment for anything, I would be hard-core freaking right now. Seems like HMG has nothing? No plan, no hail mary prep? Nothing but weaksauce attempts at 'discussions' with the EU? I mean WTF?

There's not really anything we can do about that though, that's entirely up to the government and if they decide to gently caress it up then it just happens and we have to deal with the fallout.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Maugrim posted:

I would pronounce it with a soft c, but then my only exposure to Latin is through wargames.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

OwlFancier posted:

Oh yeah there's like, coronation street, erm, quiz shows...

casualty? Is casualty still on?

poirot?
https://twitter.com/daytimesnaps/status/1329086712870408195

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Bone Crimes posted:

That's one of those politics things you read about, right? I'm sure the politicians will sort it out. No need to worry.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Bone Crimes posted:

Sometimes i doubt your commitment to sparkle motion brexit.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The only people who could do something about it have decided it isn't interesting, so that's that.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

as has been mentioned before in the thread, we've already been through all the 5 stages about it, those of us who can have made what arrangements we're able to, and are now firmly in popcorn mode to see what new and interesting ways this can somehow go further south

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

OwlFancier posted:

We're literally living through Peak TV™ at the moment - if you can't find something to be invested in it's because you don't want to watch TV, which is a perfectly fine position to take but it's slightly weird to pretend it's all bad.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Bone Crimes posted:

All the government can do is negotiate and/or capitulate and all the public can do is hope it ends up with some sort of a deal or prepare to commit some fun crimes in the near future so yeah it's just wait and see.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

OwlFancier posted:

There's not really anything we can do about that though, that's entirely up to the government and if they decide to gently caress it up then it just happens and we have to deal with the fallout.

Yeah it's this. There's no point freaking out as there's nothing in our power to change any of it. I've ordered an extra prescription of all my meds but I don't know if I'll get them. If not I could be in trouble but hopefully it won't come to that.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Private Speech posted:

It's not (at least not how he does, though it's not Jo either). Basically every country have their own pronunciation of Latin, the UK one being one of the relatively weirder ones. The catholic church have their own too, called ecclesiastical Latin.

There is actually a reconstructed classical pronunciation of latin, but it's more of a mix of German and Italian than anything else (famously with Caesar being pronounced as Kaisar).

That was actually developed by noted goon rope kid :pseudo:

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

I think the fact that they had that absolutely, genuinely, last chance for a deal and we’re really pessimistic summit and then came out and said “actually we’re going to keep chatting” heavily suggests they’ll go for a deal in the end.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

blunt posted:

We're literally living through Peak TV™ at the moment - if you can't find something to be invested in it's because you don't want to watch TV, which is a perfectly fine position to take but it's slightly weird to pretend it's all bad.

Yeah. We are near the end of Succession, which is brilliant. We just finished Mrs America, which is very good. I May Destroy You is extraordinary. The Virtues was astounding. Schitt’s Creek and GLOW are delightful. His Dark Materials and Small Axe are meant to be excellent. And that’s scratching the surface.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It would be nice, certainly, as I do have people I would prefer not to die and I would also like to continue to have a job next year.

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

I mean, I guess? I guess I'm just surprised not to see any significant protest, be it in the streets with people, patient groups on social media, or even with capital screaming about the uncertainty of regulation. I haven't even seen real prepper discussion with how to manage insulin or meds or anything beyond saving a few extra cans of crisps in the pantry. I guess I'm comparing it to what would happen in the US if anything half as disruptive as a Brexit would be occurring in 16 days.

I mean what I've seen:
We're going to get a deal, and even if we don't, we are preparing
We're going to get a deal, but we don't really need to prepare cause we're going to get a deal and the place where the trucks would go is underwater.
We're going to the EU to negotiate these red lines, but we're going to get a deal
20 days left - We You ALL need to prep for not getting a deal! No we won't tell you how!
*Crickets*

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I still maintaim that Boris is going to 'claim' he negotiated a last minute WTO deal, none of the papers will bother to correct him that a WTO deal is a no deal, and he will even manage a photo op stepping off a plane holding a handful of papers (which he will 'accidentally' drop, sending them blowing everywhere).

Hallucinogenic Toreador
Nov 21, 2000

Whoooooahh I'd be
Nothin' without you
Baaaaaa-by

Comrade Fakename posted:

I think the fact that they had that absolutely, genuinely, last chance for a deal and we’re really pessimistic summit and then came out and said “actually we’re going to keep chatting” heavily suggests they’ll go for a deal in the end.
The talks are dead but no one wants to take the blame by being the first to walk away so they have to pretend that everything's fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

kecske posted:

as has been mentioned before in the thread, we've already been through all the 5 stages about it, those of us who can have made what arrangements we're able to, and are now firmly in popcorn mode to see what new and interesting ways this can somehow go further south

namesake posted:

All the government can do is negotiate and/or capitulate and all the public can do is hope it ends up with some sort of a deal or prepare to commit some fun crimes in the near future so yeah it's just wait and see.

I mean, I fully get that the US political situation is full-on batshit insane, but there would be protests, and armed idiots out front of MPs houses, and all kinds of whackadoodle antics about this that would increase the pressure. I guess this just happened too slowly with too much procedural bs for this to happen? Or are Brits this passive about their country completely making GBS threads itself?