Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!
Looking to get a docking station that can work with both Mac and Windows and 2 monitors... bonus points if it can handle 120hz for one of the outputs.

I've got one of these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B082KMKQQX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 but it doesnt appear to support more than one monitor output for my work Macbook Pro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I can’t seem to convince myself to take photos of my Mac Mini and use eBay for the first time in years. Is doing a trade in to Apple really reasonable? I know I’ll get hit on the price but at this point I’m kind of tired of everything that isn’t a simple push button give away thing to reputable company, get money, give money, receive new laptop sort of system.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
They offered me $1260 for my 16” which was a bit too low for my tastes, Selling locally was way more worthwhile. Was worth it too, going to swap my base model air for a 16GB version so I know I’ll be good to go for a bit.

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
I see the same laptop Apple offered me $700 for, sold for $990 on Swappa. Plus Apple wants me to fedex it to them. So, yea.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

The store web page will tell you what your trade in is worth. Go to the model your looking at, there should be an “add a trade in” link.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Trading my iPhone 7 in was no big deal. If the easy route is what you want, there’s nothing wrong with it. I got a prepaid box for the phone, but a Mini should fit in just about any box if not.

SA-Mart is worth a try too. eBay takes ~10% or so, so I’d factor that in to the equation.

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

Apple wanted to give me $1670 for my 16" - I just put it on ebay instead. Currently at $2,325. Bidding ends in ~ 24 hours.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/114568455962

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020

nitsuga posted:

Trading my iPhone 7 in was no big deal. If the easy route is what you want, there’s nothing wrong with it. I got a prepaid box for the phone, but a Mini should fit in just about any box if not.

SA-Mart is worth a try too. eBay takes ~10% or so, so I’d factor that in to the equation.

Here is SA-Mart described in 1 image

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
I'm having to manually update my iPhone to make Airpods Max pair with them and of course I can't set them up on my Mac.
Bra-loving-vo, Apple.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Apple said In Big Sur 11.1 release notes that this 'introduces' support for AirPods Max..

Seems to indicate that this is the minimum OS supported..

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
maybe for setup or something? because my 2012 mbp is deprecated and doesn’t get os updates but is listed as a supported machine on the apm page

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Aren’t they just Bluetooth? Could I not use these on a windows machine if I need to?

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG
Gotta say, the experience of connecting my outgoing MBP to my incoming M1 Air with a USB-C cable and letting it migrate is pretty nice and seems even easier than Firewire target disc mode was back in the day.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

Binary Badger posted:

Apple said In Big Sur 11.1 release notes that this 'introduces' support for AirPods Max..

I'm stuck on Catalina on the MBP due to work restrictions. Just don't understand why the phone and ipad, which were both plugged in last night with auto updates enabled, weren't prepared. Haven't tried on the 09 Mac Pro but given how poorly it handles Powerbeats Pro I'm not hopeful lol.

hatty posted:

Aren’t they just Bluetooth? Could I not use these on a windows machine if I need to?

Technically but I've generally run into issues with Apple headphones on Windows, ex. Halo MCC works fine till you get into the menu and then just...nothing

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Interestingly, Apple didn't even offer me a trade-in for an i7 2018 Mac Mini, just the recycle option

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Munkaboo posted:

Looking to get a docking station that can work with both Mac and Windows and 2 monitors... bonus points if it can handle 120hz for one of the outputs.

I've got one of these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B082KMKQQX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 but it doesnt appear to support more than one monitor output for my work Macbook Pro.

Macs don't like doing DP MST. You need a TB3 dock. (Unless you have a M1 Mac, in which case you're SOL.)

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

~Coxy posted:

Macs don't like doing DP MST. You need a TB3 dock. (Unless you have a M1 Mac, in which case you're SOL.)

This loving blows, especially because they do do DP MST if you boot camp them into Windows.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

nitsuga posted:

Goons are hagglers and the implicit “goon to goon discount” is always present so you *might* not maximize your selling value there. But selling/buying from goons is vastly preferable to internet randos and it’s always been a pleasure.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Binary Badger posted:

Often for airpods this means "Full fancy featured experience" compatibility like the spatial audio poo poo.

They probably work fine on any bluetooth 5.0 (Likely even 4.0) device for audio playback/ANC.

https://www.apple.com/airpods-max/specs/

#8 on the marketing disclosures section.

Totally Huge
Mar 10, 2006

Cold brew got me like...

College Slice
So I have a small Go app I am developing, my dev machine is a raspberry pi. I was looking into building an arm64 binary on that dev machine to try running on my M1 MBA but I couldn't get it to compile. I compiled an amd64 Darwin version and it runs just fine in the stock Terminal (as an Intel app). I guess even terminal apps will launch through Rosetta? I'm not sure why that shocked me, but it did. I had copied the Terminal.app to make a second Rosetta'd version but it doesn't really seem necessary now. Cool.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Totally Huge posted:

So I have a small Go app I am developing, my dev machine is a raspberry pi. I was looking into building an arm64 binary on that dev machine to try running on my M1 MBA but I couldn't get it to compile. I compiled an amd64 Darwin version and it runs just fine in the stock Terminal (as an Intel app). I guess even terminal apps will launch through Rosetta? I'm not sure why that shocked me, but it did. I had copied the Terminal.app to make a second Rosetta'd version but it doesn't really seem necessary now. Cool.

Rosetta-or-not is per-process, and Apple's design for binaries allows multiple architectures to coexist in the same binary and the system just picks the most appropriate one when you try to run that binary.

Also take a look at 'man arch'

Also also I read something about Go for arm64 Darwin being a WIP

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Totally Huge posted:

Install go with rosetta
then

code:
git clone [url]https://go.googlesource.com/go[/url] # patches are now in master
cd src
arch --x86_64 env GODEBUG=asyncpreemptoff=1 GOOS=darwin GOARCH=arm64 ./bootstrap.bash
Then extract the archive and replace your go binaries.
M1 golang is fine _so far_ for me.

https://github.com/golang/go/issues/42684

edit: SA is autotagging the url in the code block for some reason, remove those obviously

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

~Coxy posted:

So m1 macs can't even do it with a thunderbolt dock?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

M1 can’t do two external monitors

:mrwhite:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Quantum of Phallus posted:

It can on the Mac Mini :eng101:

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

Quantum of Phallus posted:

.......... Wow. Ok luckily this is an Intel I7 with Thunderbolt 3.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

I'm connecting my Mac Mini M1 with a USB C to Displayport cable to take advantage of that sweet 144hz refresh rate, but once I turn the mini on, I have to unplug the cable and plug it back in for my monitor to recognise it.

Anyone else having this issue? The cable is high quality I'd like to believe it's just a Big Sur issue that'll be rectified with a software fix, but I might have to return the Mini.

I won't use HDMI because 85hz looks like crap :)

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Rollie Fingers posted:

I'm connecting my Mac Mini M1 with a USB C to Displayport cable to take advantage of that sweet 144hz refresh rate, but once I turn the mini on, I have to unplug the cable and plug it back in for my monitor to recognise it.

Anyone else having this issue? The cable is high quality I'd like to believe it's just a Big Sur issue that'll be rectified with a software fix, but I might have to return the Mini.

Doesn't have anything to do with this does it?

https://egpu.io/forums/mac-setup/4k144hz-no-longer-available-after-upgrade-to-big-sur/

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

Don't think so. I'm using 8bit colour. The Mac can run my 3840 x 1600 monitor at 144hz but I have to unplug and then plug the cable in during boot.

Lots of people are having the same issue on Reddit. Would be interesting to know if anyone here is using USB C to Displayport on the Mini M1 without issues

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

So my dad's MBA arrived and I replaced his M1 Mini with it. Only problem I've run into so far is that his mouse can't seem to wake it from sleep over USB. I have to use an ANKER USB-C hub; it's a Logitech mouse that can use either the Unifying Receiver or Bluetooth. I've found the USB Unifying Receiver to be more reliable, but I have to connect it over Bluetooth to make it able to wake up with the lid closed and connect to his monitor + keyboard. Is there any way around this?
I was having this problem on my M1 Air as well, but it seems that 11.1 fixed it.

Totally Huge
Mar 10, 2006

Cold brew got me like...

College Slice

Walked posted:

Install go with rosetta
then

code:
git clone [url]https://go.googlesource.com/go[/url] # patches are now in master
cd src
arch --x86_64 env GODEBUG=asyncpreemptoff=1 GOOS=darwin GOARCH=arm64 ./bootstrap.bash
Then extract the archive and replace your go binaries.
M1 golang is fine _so far_ for me.

https://github.com/golang/go/issues/42684

edit: SA is autotagging the url in the code block for some reason, remove those obviously

I will try this tonight, thank you.

BobHoward posted:

Also take a look at 'man arch'

And this was a good little read, thank you too.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Rollie Fingers posted:

apple's dp implementation is poo poo. i have the same problem on an intel mbp running catalina

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
Confirming that without 11.1 the Airpods Max don't auto-switch contexts.

The damndest thing is that when they auto-setup, they were named my first name, not my middle, which I go by and the only thing I can think of is that I ordered them under my legal name? I don't have my first name anywhere in any of my Apple accounts except under my credit card for Apple Pay...

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Crunchy Black posted:

Confirming that without 11.1 the Airpods Max don't auto-switch contexts.

The damndest thing is that when they auto-setup, they were named my first name, not my middle, which I go by and the only thing I can think of is that I ordered them under my legal name? I don't have my first name anywhere in any of my Apple accounts except under my credit card for Apple Pay...

Do you have a contact card for yourself in your Contacts app with your first name filled out? That may be it

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
Got the docker preview on my new m1 pro, I couldn't docker-compose up my work project but it will run x86 containers using docker run so good enough.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Did the latest Big Sur update fix the problems people were having with the M1 Macs' bluetooth? I experienced some of the same issues (e.g., not recognizing wireless peripherals after sleep) but haven't had the chance to update my Mac yet.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG
Edge Chromium for M1 now available in Canary channel. https://msft.it/6018pn6ym

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Perplx posted:

Got the docker preview on my new m1 pro, I couldn't docker-compose up my work project but it will run x86 containers using docker run so good enough.
Oh that's neat. For whatever reason I thought they were going to use the virtualization framework so x86 stuff would be boned. (Or probably just a lot more to it than a simple black and white answer)

gret posted:

Did the latest Big Sur update fix the problems people were having with the M1 Macs' bluetooth? I experienced some of the same issues (e.g., not recognizing wireless peripherals after sleep) but haven't had the chance to update my Mac yet.
I've been following an update thread elsewhere and iirc it sounds like it's at least better, not sure it's 100% fixed or anything though cause small sample size and all. I don't remember if I've seen any reason to not update at least, like there's definitely a bunch of fixes in there.

robostac
Sep 23, 2009

japtor posted:

Oh that's neat. For whatever reason I thought they were going to use the virtualization framework so x86 stuff would be boned. (Or probably just a lot more to it than a simple black and white answer)

They are using virtualisation framework to run linux for the docker host and then using QEMU inside that to run x86 images. Performance won't be up to Rosetta levels, but still appears to be decent. There's also reports of some containers crashing with illegal instructions errors so it's not entirely stable yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol
Redacted

Brain Issues fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Feb 6, 2021