Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
I'll try to not spam this thread with daily progress, but here are my new italian wars halflings. I'm trying to make heads as well now, and I've been binging youtube videos about helmets all week. I had no idea just how little I knew about late medieval/early renaissance helmets and their construction and design.

The first batch of custom heads. These were all over the place size-wise, looking back at them. Some real pin-heads in there. These will represent town or city militia, so not full time professionals but also not just peasants with spears. I ordered The Italian Wars 1494-1559 by Christine Shaw and Michael Mallet to really dive into the period over the holidays.

More practice was needed, so I've been churning out heads. I discard the ones that get too small or too big, it's easier to make ten heads and then choose three than to try to make three perfect heads.

Newest batch has better proportions overall I think, for halflings that is. I'm going for helmets that are kind of in the tranformaton from bascinets to barbutes. Later on I might try to make some actual bartbutes.

Main issue now is that I only have four bodies left! I ordered forty more. I'm also thinking of making some scratch built gendarmes after this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Tias posted:

Well, in the link you have a straight-up all female soviet infantry squad with smgs and rifles storming the enemy, and that's AFAIK not historical. Women in the red army were used as snipers, tank drivers, truck drivers, medics and lot more, but were thought unsuited for direct combat for a variety of reasons( chief among them the unsuitability of male soldiers to concentrate when they were around).

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Tias posted:

Well, in the link you have a straight-up all female soviet infantry squad with smgs and rifles storming the enemy, and that's AFAIK not historical. Women in the red army were used as snipers, tank drivers, truck drivers, medics and lot more, but were thought unsuited for direct combat for a variety of reasons( chief among them the unsuitability of male soldiers to concentrate when they were around).

You don't have to field the entire unit as all female. You could spread them around your other infantry squads so they're not all male/all female.

Also, that categorization is contested. Women were often listed as Snipers/Medics/Cooks in their units which made historians think that they didn't serve in combat roles. More recent studies have shown that they were trained to use frontline weapons and did indeed fight in such roles.

Here's a good source that is well researched.

lilljonas posted:

non-nasty little hobbitses

Really great work on these so far. Such a fun project, I can't wait to see a whole unit done & painted.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Zuul the Cat posted:

You could spread them around your other infantry squads so they're not all male/all female.

This is my approach.

Zuul the Cat posted:

Also, that categorization is contested. Women were often listed as Snipers/Medics/Cooks in their units which made historians think that they didn't serve in combat roles. More recent studies have shown that they were trained to use frontline weapons and did indeed fight in such roles.

Yep. I suspect this woman medic probably had cause to use that PPSh at some point:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Cessna posted:

This is my approach.

Yep. I suspect this woman medic probably had cause to use that PPSh at some point:

Even odds there's no medical kit in the bag, it's just PPSh drums.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Arquinsiel posted:

No need for medical gear if you mow down the fascists before they get a chance to harm your glorious heroes.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Arquinsiel posted:

Soviet medical practice in the 40s was heavily focused on preventative medicine, for example they would treat gunshot wounds by shooting the fascist who caused it before he did.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Medical bag? PPurSh.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Whenever it comes up I always wonder if y’all’s groups pronounce the iconic weapon as peepee ess aych or pepeshah

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Whenever it comes up I always wonder if y’all’s groups pronounce the iconic weapon as peepee ess aych or pepeshah

Papascha, yeah, so close to the last one.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Zuul the Cat posted:

No need for medical gear if you mow down the fascists before they get a chance to harm your glorious heroes.

Geisladisk posted:

Soviet medical practice in the 40s was heavily focused on preventative medicine, for example they would treat gunshot wounds by shooting the fascist who caused it before he did.
:hmmyes:

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Zuul the Cat posted:

You don't have to field the entire unit as all female. You could spread them around your other infantry squads so they're not all male/all female.

Also, even if women weren't designated to front-line roles they could end up in battle anyway if the front was over-run. That's how a bunch of female anti-aircraft gunners ended up dueling with German tanks on the outskirts of Stalingrad.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Zuul the Cat posted:

How on earth is 'sniper' not a combat role in any case :shobon:

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Class Warcraft posted:

Can you take a pic? I don’t think I know what a 1/300 tank even looks like.

Right now they all look like unpainted silver blobs in drug baggies. I found a visual guide online that gives you a better idea of what they can look like when painted and based.

Heavily generalizing here, but I don't see much personality trait overlap between 'those who thrive and succeed in post 9/11 military culture' and 'proud wargame enthusiasts' cohorts. Definitely not a well fleshed out hypothesis, but matches my observation that the old school gamer types typically max out at the E6/O4 level.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Ok so what's more renaissance than puffy clothes? Maybe rediscovering a profound love of ancient Greece philosophers, but it's close. So I took a break in trying to sculpt helmets, and instead made some puffy hats. Turned out it's easier than helmets. This is great news for any future halfknecht units.

They're hard to photograph though, as it's all just slightly glossy green.

Close-ups

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Holy poo poo, your faces have improved wildly since the previous post, and the hats are ace.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

JcDent posted:

Holy poo poo, your faces have improved wildly since the previous post, and the hats are ace.

Yeah I'm pretty surprised, I'm going from oversized Wallace and Gromits to something that's starting to look good enough to have casted. It's strangely hypnotizing to sit and stab a dental tool into a blob of putty and suddenly see a new face and personality kind of emerge on its own. It's like my control of the general shape gets better, but the faces are still theirs, I'm just capturing them when they pop up and then try to smooth things out. Its' super weird.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

I WILL NEVER LOG OFF

Zuul the Cat posted:

Here's a good source that is well researched.

Interesting stuff in time for Xmas reading - Thanks!

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Tias posted:

Also check out The Womanly Face of War by Alexievich. It won the Nobel Prize for Literature.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

lilljonas posted:

Yeah I'm pretty surprised, I'm going from oversized Wallace and Gromits to something that's starting to look good enough to have casted. It's strangely hypnotizing to sit and stab a dental tool into a blob of putty and suddenly see a new face and personality kind of emerge on its own. It's like my control of the general shape gets better, but the faces are still theirs, I'm just capturing them when they pop up and then try to smooth things out. Its' super weird.

Those faces look much improved over your first round. Just a tip about hair: sculpt the head without hair and let it set. Then go back to it and add a thin sheet and sculpt the hair with a scalpel and/or thin needle. You will see a huge improvement in the fineness of detail you can achieve, and it's fairly easy so long as the base you're sculpting on is hard.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Tias posted:

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
I'm loving around with acrylic inks for some DIY contrast speed paints. For WWII British uniforms, should I be aiming more for a khaki / ochre color or a brown? The images I'm seeing seem to waffle around between the two. I'm aiming for a generalist scheme, not a specific theater or period.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

I'll keep posting if I go anywhere on this project.

So I don't have pics (worthy of posting, at least), but I'm going ahead on this project. I bought the pack of figs and also the buildings/tents/equipment, printed ~400 figs, and have almost my first unit of 40 pikes painted up. Bases should be arriving on friday so I'm hoping to base the unit and get some pics of them based without dressing on the base.

My plan is to make 2x 8-unit Basic Impetus armies. Shouldnt be too difficult, this batch of figs averages out to about 8-10 mins per figure, so a few dozen hours for the 2 starter armies. And yeah I decided to paint them myself, the best quote I got was $1/fig and a looooong lead time.

Overall I like the figures, they're detailed enough for 10mm but paint up pretty quick. The infantry cost about 1-1.5c to print each, and the cavalry about 2.5c each, in terms of material cost. This is going well enough that I'm also thinking about WW2 wargaming as well, probably in 10mm.

I've done some cursory googling but does anyone have a good resource for medieval flags? Especially ones likely to be present during the HYW, but honestly I've moved away from directly HYW themed to a more "generic" medieval theme to make it more accessible for my daughter so any medieval flags will do. I prefer to print myself as well.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

It turns out there were some things I didn't know about playing with myself :haw:. I used the first of battlefront's solo mission templates. It was a bit unbalanced in favor of the germans having 55 pts vs 52 after some extra Panzershrek and m1919 options were added. End result was a draw - the presence of the extra panzershreks made things a lot harder - but there was a lot of back-and-forth and it wasn't as hard as I anticipated staying honest, even when Red Team had the upper hand.

An early armored assault in the east forced the panzergrenadiers to abandon their positions, but their return AT fire broke the platoon of Shermans. The germans then pressed the momentum to successfully assault overstretched elements of the isolated airborne platoon and consolidate in their positions. At the same time in the north, a second armored thrust knocked out a Pak 40 and raked the infantry with MG fire, pinning both, but taking light losses. The paratrooper platoon attempted to rush the grenadier positions to soften them up before Germans reserves arrived, but were beaten back and sustained heavy losses.

Arrival of German armored reserves looked as if it would seal the defeat of American forces, but a #yolo rush into the flanks of the panzers did juuust enough damage to force a (failed) morale test, and the panzers withdrew. Heavy AT fire against the exposed Shermans led to additional losses and multiple bails, but the surviving two tanks (company and unit commanders, respectively) were hard as gently caress and passed every single remount and last stand check from here on out. They were able to attrit the remaining AT gun and infantry platoon to the breaking point with relentless machinegun fire, repeated assaults, and way too much luck.

South of them, the remaining German infantry eliminated the paras, but sustained enough losses to themselves retreat. There was neither anyone left to rescue, nor enough units to hold the objectives, so the two remaining AFVs withdrew from the AO and called it a day.

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Dec 19, 2020

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

More renaissance sculpting. Gradually sculpting more of the minis, now arms and heads.

These were the last bodies in the set, so I ordered more.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The shouting faces are great. Lots of character.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Those look great, but holding a pike like that seems... Difficult

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Arquinsiel posted:

The shouting faces are great. Lots of character.

Thanks! I took them out and primed them today, so I'll try to get the first units painted soon.

Signal posted:

Those look great, but holding a pike like that seems... Difficult

He's going to hold a flag, not a pike. I'm not sure why but a lot of renaissance flags seems to be held like that, it looks awkward a f but both images and reenactors seem to do it, so evidently it works.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

lilljonas posted:

He's going to hold a flag, not a pike. I'm not sure why but a lot of renaissance flags seems to be held like that, it looks awkward a f but both images and reenactors seem to do it, so evidently it works.

Oh if it's a flag then that tracks. I've noticed that too in my ECW research. I'm guessing they hold it from the end to get the most vertical reach (and thus visibility) possible without having excess weight during the march

JcDent
May 13, 2013

So what do you groggy grog grogs make of Warlord going in for 15mm ACW?

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

JcDent posted:

So what do you groggy grog grogs make of Warlord going in for 15mm ACW?

I think it’s clever. They can just use it to promote black powder, so they don’t need a new ruleset. And acw is very self-contained, it’s not like you need ten different types of infantry. So you can cover pretty much everything with just a few boxes, compared to WW2 or Napoleonics. I mean, WG still have enormous gaps in their nappy ranges, and doing this kind of side-project for that period would require far more work. ACW is so much simpler.

E: looking at the starter box, it seems you get two quite big armies that you can either use for Black Powder of the new system (which I guess from the description is some kind of streamlined version of BP). You'll also be able to paint them much faster than two big 28mm armies. If I was into ACW I would probably be tempted to check it out more.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Dec 20, 2020

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

They’re also sending out a sprue with the next issue of wargames illustrated so that’s 100 free men for anyone that picks up a physical copy. Gonna be hard to resist expanding from there.

working mom
Jul 8, 2015

Class Warcraft posted:

They’re also sending out a sprue with the next issue of wargames illustrated so that’s 100 free men for anyone that picks up a physical copy. Gonna be hard to resist expanding from there.

100 free mans with a magazine? What a world

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

working mom posted:

100 free mans with a magazine? What a world

The power of cheap, high-quality plastics ! The molds are expensive to make, but last basically forever. If they are expected to sell in any volume they can be sold cheap or given away as promos. I got a couple of MTBs for Cruel Seas a couple of years ago, those aren't small sprues either.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Speaking of weird ventures, anyone gotten their hands on the Victrix 12mm WWII infantry?

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Springfield Fatts posted:

Speaking of weird ventures, anyone gotten their hands on the Victrix 12mm WWII infantry?

184 miniatures for 30 bucks is pretty tempting and they look pretty well cast.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

mllaneza posted:

The power of cheap, high-quality plastics ! The molds are expensive to make, but last basically forever. If they are expected to sell in any volume they can be sold cheap or given away as promos. I got a couple of MTBs for Cruel Seas a couple of years ago, those aren't small sprues either.
Same, and also six random Germans some other time. I haven't even read the magazine, I was just "oh hey, a sprue of Germans that'd be fun to have maybe" and was happy to drop the cover price on it. A hundred ACW mans is enough to make a decent start on an army too.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Class Warcraft posted:

184 miniatures for 30 bucks is pretty tempting and they look pretty well cast.

I'm going to say something that will make someone scream at me that 12mm is a well-established wargaming scale, so let's just proceed to screaming.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

JcDent posted:

I'm going to say something that will make someone scream at me that 12mm is a well-established wargaming scale, so let's just proceed to screaming.

Warlord's website is obtuse as hell and the store pages only have them listed as "Epic Battles Scale" ( :rolleyes: cmon man), so what the heck is that scale? 15mm? 12mm?

I need a new game to not play with anyone like I need a kick in the teeth but I've always wanted to collect ACW stuff and this seems fairly economical at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Devlan Mud posted:

Warlord's website is obtuse as hell and the store pages only have them listed as "Epic Battles Scale" ( :rolleyes: cmon man), so what the heck is that scale? 15mm? 12mm?

I need a new game to not play with anyone like I need a kick in the teeth but I've always wanted to collect ACW stuff and this seems fairly economical at least.

I've seen so many facebook discussions on this product derailing with arguments about scale. Both which scale the minis will actually be, and grogs complaining about grogs playing with other scales. The first could have been handled better by Warlord by being very clear about exact sizes, the second is just grogs being grogs.

AFAIK after wading through comments it seems to be "13.5 mm to eyes, so 15mm to top of head", which is different from 15 mm to eyes which is different from "heroic 15mm" which is like 18mm. Warlord could have been better at informing, but they can't be blamed for 15mm scale itself being all over the place. Some people seems to say that this would make them compatible with certain existing ranges, such as Peter Pig, but we'll have to wait to see until people post comparison photos.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Dec 21, 2020