Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Victory Position posted:

well then who makes the sexy tactical jumpsuits???

I would also like to know that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

who else is starting to see youtube ads for Nina Turner's congressional campaign?

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
ahahaha according to the latest TrueAnon Ed Opperman’s (presumably weird) buddies and daughter are working on her campaign

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Nick Mullen Is Always Right

THS
Sep 15, 2017

lol a year ago half this forum wanted nina turner to run for president

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

THS posted:

hello... somebody...:negative:

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

AnEdgelord posted:

They literally said the opposite of this

Hell they said that Pelosi should be opposed regardless of whether you are trying to force an M4A vote.

The only thing they were iffy on was the efficacy of forcing an M4A vote that you know they will lose.

goon listening comprehension remains unmatched.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

i know it’s nothing important, but i get an uncanny valley type feeling from that female “british” voice over on that crenshaw ad the chapo guys were mocking, probably someone impersonating what a brit sounds like, but is there a specific reason why “dramatic news voice overs” typically have british voices? it’s weird - can’t even trust your own fake media in a fake universe

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Wondering if it is more beneficial to utilize a diversity of tactics rather than expend energy nitpicking for hours why you think everyone else's plans are bad and not going to work.

Also, how to expand organizations without being vulnerable to spooks.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

THS posted:

i want this, if she could win. luckily she cannot so it's not a matter worth hashing out.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Jel Shaker posted:

i know it’s nothing important, but i get an uncanny valley type feeling from that female “british” voice over on that crenshaw ad the chapo guys were mocking, probably someone impersonating what a brit sounds like, but is there a specific reason why “dramatic news voice overs” typically have british voices? it’s weird - can’t even trust your own fake media in a fake universe

british RP accent is perceived as more trustworthy

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Doctor Jeep posted:

which is why every cowardly deceitful villian uses RP

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

its an action movie cliche

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Well, the COVID-19 ain't stopping

And Twitter is surely 'bappin

And since we ain't got no place to go

Let us post let us post let us post

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Jel Shaker posted:

What's funny is in the Marvel films, Tony replaced his Gentlemanly, English-sounding JARVIS AI assistant, when he became unavailable, with FRIDAY, who's clearly an Aussie. Talk about a step down there. I always think of Aussies as just emitting a stream of racial slurs and curses that've been normalized for their culture. EY, DA FUGGIN ABBOS IS CUMMIN EH, YA oval office?? Then, Peter Parker's suit-side AI just sounds like a midwesterner American MILF.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

Homeless Friend posted:

nobody remembers the twirling they only remember duel of the fates

No one remembers when Obi Wan and Qui Gon use Force Speed at the start of Episode One like it’s a loving video game.

edit: Jodorowsky needs to release a copy of his production book so we can actually see his Dune. You see a few pages of crazy storyboards from it in the documentary and it’s as thick as a phone book.

Pulcinella has issued a correction as of 03:41 on Dec 16, 2020

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Pulcinella posted:

No one remembers when Obi Wan and Qui Gon use Force Speed at the start of Episode One like it’s a loving video game.

edit: Jodorowsky needs to release a copy of his production book so we can actually see his Dune. You see a few pages of crazy storyboards from it in the documentary and it’s as thick as a phone book.

I mean Luke used Force Jump in Empire.

corn haver
Mar 28, 2020

Doctor Jeep posted:

fox news occasionally brings on these totally unhinged guys named like Jervis Twart and everyone nods in deep contemplation

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

I think Jodorowsky used a lot of the Dune material for the comics he worked on. The Incal has some cool poo poo in it from him and Moebius.

Saman
Oct 23, 2008

Next, you'll say...
"What a good post!"

ok is PMC just the new 'lanyard' insult for empty suit democrats and blue checks or whatever? I'd literally never heard it used outside of this thread until Amber said it i think the last 2 times shes been on chapo including this week and it feels like such a relentlessly logged the gently caress in term still. I say, while typing a post in the podcast thread

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Regardless of whether it's a good idea to force an MFA vote, it was jarring to hear the Chappos use the same "hard things are hard" and "gosh, we just don't have the votes" type arguments that we make fun of Obama and the libs using.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Saman posted:

ok is PMC just the new 'lanyard' insult for empty suit democrats and blue checks or whatever? I'd literally never heard it used outside of this thread until Amber said it i think the last 2 times shes been on chapo including this week and it feels like such a relentlessly logged the gently caress in term still. I say, while typing a post in the podcast thread

pmc is the new cool hip word made for the goon who makes 50-100k but hates that 100-200k mf'er

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i think of demons posted:

fox news occasionally brings on these totally unhinged guys named like Jervis Twart and everyone nods in deep contemplation

cnn had richard quest

THS
Sep 15, 2017

Saman posted:

shes been using it for a long time?? also the term has been around for awhile too

if you have some time she wrote an article about it

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Homeless Friend posted:

pmc is the new cool hip word made for the goon who makes 50-100k but hates that 100-200k mf'er

basically. it also moves the debate about the role of NGOs away from the state, financiers, and leadership and onto the employees.

i think there's some use for the idea, but as a strata of the working class, not a separate class. a lot of the fighting over the term is from people who would be considered part of it, so it gets weird.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

in the context of the gig-ification of lot of stable work, PMC feels like a new labor aristocracy, or at least a type of worker who will have material reasons to ultimately side with the bourgeoisie unless under extreme compulsion from a strong workers movement

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

PMC is a term we use to make us feel like we shouldn't be put to death under the MTWJDPON

THS
Sep 15, 2017

oh pmc will definitely not be spared by the jdpon

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

i say swears online posted:

cnn had richard quest

That guy always looked like he had lockjaw

*through gritted teeth*
"HI I'M RICHARD QUEST"

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Pulcinella posted:

oh yeah, wasn't that to escape the poison gas they added into the movie to add poison gas?

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Victory Position posted:

oh yeah, wasn't that to escape the poison gas they added into the movie to add poison gas?

no that was to escape the droidekas

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

incredible that the weird al song is more coherent than the movie itself

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

Zoran posted:

no that was to escape the droidekas

Yep. 2:42
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RCYs0N5Wsc

It looks terrible and is unnecessary.

Saman
Oct 23, 2008

Next, you'll say...
"What a good post!"

THS posted:

shes been using it for a long time?? also the term has been around for awhile too

if you have some time she wrote an article about it

I'd been assuming until i started reading this that it was PMC as in Private Military Contractor, as in they have zero loyalty to any cause but the one that pays them, but this makes a lot more sense. I don't follow Amber because its like a 60/40 that I won't like whatever she's retweeting and the 40 isn't worth it to me, but this all tracks

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i do think that at some point there has to be a term for people that potentially earn more in their 401ks yearly than in wages

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

Saman posted:

I mean you're close: it's a term invented by the CIA in the 70s to divide the working classes.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Saman posted:

I'd been assuming until i started reading this that it was PMC as in Private Military Contractor, as in they have zero loyalty to any cause but the one that pays them, but this makes a lot more sense. I don't follow Amber because its like a 60/40 that I won't like whatever she's retweeting and the 40 isn't worth it to me, but this all tracks

yah the term comes from barbara ehrenreich if you want to go to the source. it basically refers to the “upper middle class” or “white collar professionals” who administer this hellworld we live in. ehrenreich says the class breaks both ways, ie some recognize they are workers and turn into cspam posters while others defend the meritocracy and run interference for the ruling class until the bitter end

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

Centrist Committee posted:

yah the term comes from barbara ehrenreich if you want to go to the source. it basically refers to the “upper middle class” or “white collar professionals” who administer this hellworld we live in. ehrenreich says the class breaks both ways, ie some recognize they are workers and turn into cspam posters while others defend the meritocracy and run interference for the ruling class until the bitter end
The problem is that I can pull any metric I like out of my rear end, use it to divide humans into arbitrary categories, and observe exactly the same thing. The false consciousness of the "PMC" is not unique, or even noteworthy.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Pulcinella posted:

Yep. 2:42
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RCYs0N5Wsc

It looks terrible and is unnecessary.

lol quicktravel to the hangar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

The problem is that I can pull any metric I like out of my rear end, use it to divide humans into arbitrary categories, and observe exactly the same thing. The false consciousness of the "PMC" is not unique, or even noteworthy.

sure that makes sense, and I guess the terms I put in scare quotes are examples of the same thing, although I didn’t have that in mind when I posted