Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Lurdiak posted:

Also I watched all 3 karate kid movies to prepare for this show and it is hilarious how unceremoniously each of Daniel's love interests are disposed of off-screen at the start of 2 and 3 so he can have increasingly boring new romantic subplots. Ali was the only interesting one so it's good that she's still a presence in the show.

Daniel does tend to have girls out of his league fall for him with alarming regularity. Third’s saying she has a boyfriend back home she’s going to try again with is the much more likely outcome.

I kind of want them to talk about Part 3 more just so they can try and give context for cartoon supervillain Terry Silver Master of the Quicksilver Method and Bad Boy of Karate Mike Barnes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Lurdiak posted:

All they really do is mention Terry Silver's name alongside Kreese's when reading off the ban decision. Which is a bit weird, since all of Terry's gross evil actions weren't things the committee should know about, but maybe he and Kreese threw a double tantrum in the parking lot after the credits started rolling and karate kicked someone's head off.

I liked the part where Johnny was like "Um, I don't even know that guy."

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

All they really do is mention Terry Silver's name alongside Kreese's when reading off the ban decision. Which is a bit weird, since all of Terry's gross evil actions weren't things the committee should know about, but maybe he and Kreese threw a double tantrum in the parking lot after the credits started rolling and karate kicked someone's head off.

I always found it weird how the bad guys in 3 basically accomplish all of their goals, but Danny winning the final tournament on a technicality is treated as winning the movie, even though it shouldn't make much difference. I mean, how does winning that tournament prevent Silver from fulfilling his promise of building Cobra Kai dojos all over the country? They never actually expose him as a bad guy.

I guess you're right and Silver must have flipped out off-screen and done something to get Cobra Kai expelled.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

SimonChris posted:

I always found it weird how the bad guys in 3 basically accomplish all of their goals, but Danny winning the final tournament on a technicality is treated as winning the movie, even though it shouldn't make much difference. I mean, how does winning that tournament prevent Silver from fulfilling his promise of building Cobra Kai dojos all over the country? They never actually expose him as a bad guy.

I guess you're right and Silver must have flipped out off-screen and done something to get Cobra Kai expelled.

Maybe Mike got pissed he didn't get paid and went public with all the dirty work Silver and Kreese had him do.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Mike Barnes was the hero Los Angeles County karate tournaments needed and deserved.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

It is really funny that no one in this franchise has ever gone beyond the regionals.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
The thing I didn't like in season one was that after a year (if that) of training these kids are ready to win the tournament.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

ilmucche posted:

The thing I didn't like in season one was that after a year (if that) of training these kids are ready to win the tournament.

Daniel-san defeated a black belt with only two months of training. Karate is magic in this universe.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

'Soccer moms but for combat sports' was a thing I'd never considered before.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

A buddy of mine had his entire family show up to all of his Golden Gloves fights. His aunts wore t-shirts with his face on them and everything. It was super sweet and heartwarming to hear them yell "Hit him Malik! YOU GOT THIS!!!!"

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

Solice Kirsk posted:

A buddy of mine had his entire family show up to all of his Golden Gloves fights. His aunts wore t-shirts with his face on them and everything. It was super sweet and heartwarming to hear them yell "Hit him Malik! YOU GOT THIS!!!!"

Can confirm, this is a pretty routine thing in fight sports. You also see a lot of cases where the rest of the school/dojo/gym/club/whatever show up to watch as well, so it can lead to some pretty loud crowds. And a lot of trouble playing back the tape with the sound on due to people screaming nonsense that may or may not have any relevance to the situation (Keep your hands up!).

This show is fantastic and I hope they can keep the momentum going - and I am incredibly curious whether Shue gets involved in any way, but I try not to look into casting and behind the scenes info until after I've seen something .

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

https://twitter.com/tweeterisawful/status/1333747794159554563

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
not gonna lie the vicious combat is the sugar that helps me enjoy the soap opera poo poo. Soap operas are always hamstrung by their characters being intrinsically uninteresting but I would like more of them if the characters could at any moment solve their interpersonal drama with kickass spinkicks.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Xealot posted:

Some kind of synthesis makes sense, sure. I think, before that can happen, they’d have to make it more clear what’s inadequate about Daniel’s philosophy...if Cobra Kai is too aggressive, maybe Daniel is too passive. It’s easy to see how Cobra Kai’s “don’t be a pussy” outlook is toxic and meat-headed, but maybe Miyagi-Do is a way of avoiding necessary conflict. Sometimes confrontation is good.

I’m definitely anticipating a point where Johnny learns some Miyagi-Do, though. Maybe to connect with his son, but also just as a corrective therapeutic thing...he could benefit from the stillness and introspection it’s all about.

I’m 50/50 on whether or not Daniel’s son is going to wind up in Cobra Kai, though. That soft, lazy little jackass could use a firmer hand than his father is able to provide.

dropping all the hokey orientalist bullshit would be a good start

also its part of daniels dumbassness that because miyagi taught him in a specific way, that means thats the number 1 best way to teach karate. when in reality it was something miyagi did to train daniel specifically and help him be less hotheaded and reckless. the guys who show up and think its a scam have basically the right idea

babypolis fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Dec 3, 2020

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Atlas Hugged posted:

Bob Sapp was never mean though. He knew he was there to lose and he had no interest in taking more damage than he had to. As soon as he was in anything even resembling trouble, he tapped, collected his paycheck, and signed up for the next fight. He made a decent amount of money and kept his brain mostly intact.
That was after he got humbled. Before that he was pretty loving vicious to guys half his size. I blame K-1 more than Sapp, for hiring an untrained fighter and encouraging him to play a wrestling heel in a competitive sport.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcDQqGJG8pA&ab_channel=Netflix

Just droppin' this off to everyone - spoilers obviously.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
I’m excited.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Holy poo poo. There is a spoilerific appearance in there.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

This cover of Auld Lang Syne is a banger

Lemony
Jul 27, 2010

Now With Fresh Citrus Scent!
Dope, super pumped. Looks like we're going to get the Daniel/Johnny team up earlier in the season than I expected.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

My predictions for this season are that I will consume this entire season within two sittings. My children will be neglected.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Holy poo poo!

Did not expect Dee Snider to make an appearance!

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
I'm terrible with faces. Who is that that woman who slaps Kreese?

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

TheCenturion posted:

I'm terrible with faces. Who is that that woman who slaps Kreese?

It's Daniel's Wife

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

PeterCat posted:

It's Daniel's Wife

That's what I thought, but the hair was so different. Threw me off. Fairly sure that was, or at least was supposed to be, Kumiko and Chozen though.

I wonder if, in proper 80s idiom, Amanda will get kidnapped by Kreese, chained up in a warehouse, and maybe that's why Daniel and Johnny were beating up guys in what looked like a car repair garage. Double Dragon style.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Trailer talk about Cobras

It looks like Hawk, an extra from previous seasons, and Chris/Assface are the only Cobras doing anything as a group. Every Tory scene seemed to not have Cobras in it and Miguel is still hospitalized. The trailer hints at Kyler joining the Cobras. Their membership looks like it might be undergoing so big changes this season.

Non spoiler chat:
Did anyone play the Cobra Kai game? If so, how is it?

TheCenturion posted:

That's what I thought, but the hair was so different. Threw me off. Fairly sure that was, or at least was supposed to be, Kumiko and Chozen though.

link below contains a spoiler but confirms your thoughts.

https://ew.com/tv/cobra-kai-tamlyn-tomita-season-3/

At this point it seems like every important living movie character is confirmed to make an appearance except Ali and the Karate Kid 3 characters. Though the creators were hinting pretty hard at Silver showing up in season 3 a few months ago on twitter.

lol at this bit from the spoilered link

"Had you watched the show before?
Oh yes, are you kidding me? At the time [that it debuted], though, I saw [that it was on] YouTube Red, and I never followed up on it — I didn't want to pay for it because I'm such a cheapskate."

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Dec 9, 2020

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

PeterCat posted:

Holy poo poo!

Did not expect Dee Snider to make an appearance!

What?? I didn’t notice that? Are you serious....

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Badass!

AbsolutelySane
Jul 2, 2012

Gaz2k21 posted:

What?? I didn’t notice that? Are you serious....[

I mean, they have to do a We're Not Gonna Take It montage now, don't they?

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

AbsolutelySane posted:

He was wonderful in the show Holliston he should just be that character

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Somewhat Heroic posted:

My predictions for this season are that I will consume this entire season within two sittings.

Same, man I am 31 years old and loving pumped for the loving 3rd season of a Karate Kid Revival Spin-Off Show™.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
So I watched it again as the first time I missed the Dee Snider but it looks like his solo project on stage which is no bad thing as the album “for the love of metal” is incredible and fully fits the cobra Kai theme

I can’t believe they found a way to make this show even better.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

AbsolutelySane posted:

quote:

Another one? I'd be down.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I can't believe how much I'm looking forward to this stupid silly show again. I'm probably gonna tear through the whole thing in one sitting.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Spacebump posted:

Did anyone play the Cobra Kai game? If so, how is it?

As someone who has NOT played the game, but has watched several youtube videos...it looks kind of strange. It's a beat em up where you tag in between up to three characters. It also looks like you have two sets of skills, with individual cooldowns. So kind of like switching weapons in Guild Wars 2, if you've ever played that.

There are two campaigns where you play as cobras or miagi-do characters from the TV show. They got Johnny, Daniel, Hawk and Demetri actors to do voices for their characters, so you can hear Ralph Maccio sound super bored as he says "icicle fury" :effort:

Yeah miagi-do characters have ice powers. Cobras have fire powers. One of the boss fights is Yasmine, remember the mean girl from the high school? Yep she's a boss so the Cobras (including Johnny) beat the poo poo out of her.

It's fuckin weird. I think the big conceit of the plot is the story of the game is being told by Hawk and Demetri, who are both embellishing everything as dumb teenagers are wont to do. Which explains the magic powers etc :shrug:

Finally, the game's soundtrack is pretty rockin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbABl9uVVJY

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I'm just waiting for Walton Goggins to show up in the show.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

WHY BONER NOW posted:

As someone who has NOT played the game, but has watched several youtube videos...it looks kind of strange. It's a beat em up where you tag in between up to three characters. It also looks like you have two sets of skills, with individual cooldowns. So kind of like switching weapons in Guild Wars 2, if you've ever played that.

There are two campaigns where you play as cobras or miagi-do characters from the TV show. They got Johnny, Daniel, Hawk and Demetri actors to do voices for their characters, so you can hear Ralph Maccio sound super bored as he says "icicle fury" :effort:

Yeah miagi-do characters have ice powers. Cobras have fire powers. One of the boss fights is Yasmine, remember the mean girl from the high school? Yep she's a boss so the Cobras (including Johnny) beat the poo poo out of her.

It's fuckin weird. I think the big conceit of the plot is the story of the game is being told by Hawk and Demetri, who are both embellishing everything as dumb teenagers are wont to do. Which explains the magic powers etc :shrug:

Finally, the game's soundtrack is pretty rockin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbABl9uVVJY

I mean magic powers have been part of the series since Miyagi used his chi to heal Daniel's broken leg in the very first movie, why not go all in? :haw: Like I wanna see something similar to Arrow, where the first season was this totally grounded thing about a guy who just had really really good aim with a bow and by the end of the show he had become the multi-versal guardian of space and time capable of destroying or creating entire universe with a wave of his hand. I mean next season apparently has Kumiko resurrecting Miyagi so they're already well on their way.

Like keep the soapy cycle of bullying stuff, just ALSO I wanna see Danny and Johnny flying through the stratosphere shooting space lazers at each other

Is that so much to ask

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

The high school plot for this show is honestly one evil fighting tournament away from being an SNK fighting game. Like, if next season involves Hawk succumbing to the Riot of the Blood, and Diego must defeat him before he summons the banished spirit of Orochi, it would only feel like a little bit of an escalation.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Hawk sits in the banana car and Mr. Miyagi appears to him as a Force Ghost, setting him on the right path.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Xealot posted:

The high school plot for this show is honestly one evil fighting tournament away from being an SNK fighting game. Like, if next season involves Hawk succumbing to the Riot of the Blood, and Diego must defeat him before he summons the banished spirit of Orochi, it would only feel like a little bit of an escalation.

The most obvious move they can make is to bring back Kyler into the bad guy Kreese dojo and I hope they don't but have a strong feeling they will. Feeling it in my gut that S3 is gonna lean way too hard into extra cheese and upset the delicate balance the show managed to mostly straddle so far and that poo poo's about to get really loving stupid; mystical healing BS and a bunch of Japanese mysticism made into white guy bullshit combined with characters from movies nobody much gave a poo poo about. Daniel's gonna heal Miguel's leg with that hand warmer bullshit or whatever.

Karate sponsored field trips to Okinawa for all the students and new grudges and what not. I dunno. Maybe I'm cynical.

It was a fun show for 2 seasons and far FAR exceeded my expectations but I think we're about to get into stupid town and, if I'm being completely honest, I think the low expectations are a big reason why the show resonated so well to even start with. The sweet spot they've managed to hit between over the top, goofy, nostalgic and poignant was a narrow needle to thread to begin with and is starting to feel really delicate looking at that preview but maybe they'll surprise me again.