Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
you can just rollback. Its not like you were gaming anyways, thats valuable mining time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Craptacular! posted:

Behold, the greatest Nvidia driver bug:

I don't see the problem here.

Yeah T-rex fixed it pretty quickly

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

DrDork posted:

3440x1440 with all 3 RTX options on, set to High, and DLSS set to Auto, with everything else set to High except Cascading Shadows (Medium), on my 5600X + 3080 I get a pretty solid 65+ FPS in most scenes, bottoming out around 50-55 on occasion, and 70-80 FPS in smaller interior low complexity scenes.

Using the hex edit fix for the .exe did add 3-5 FPS for me.

Can I just advise that people not use DLSS auto? It's basically like using dynamic res except with DLSS up scaling, to try and match 60fps so depending on the scene you're really going to tank your image quality because DLSS will drop down to DLSS Balanced or Performance (rendering in 720p at a 1440p UW)

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008
Holy gently caress I managed to find a nice ungreedy mfer to sell me a 3070 locally. Gigabyte 3070 Gaming OC at retail price (granted retail is inflated as is at $570).

Can't wait to see some penises in ray traced lighting ✨ 😍 🙌

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
It took me 4 days to find a 3080 but its radiator doesn't fit above my NH-D15S :negative:
Think it might fit if I remove then replace it so uh here's hoping

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
Stock voltage on 3080 is pretty absurd when you can undervolt a tuf by like a full 1/4th and still get stock clocks and sub 60 degree temps

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

haven't there been quite a few instances of undervolted ampere cards blacking out in games? probably easier from a manufacturing standpoint to run them a bit hotter than necessary to avoid that

Gnarly Bae Jepsen
Jul 12, 2007

Manic Pixie Dick Girl

How are you guys finding 3080s? I don't have a working computer and the last thing I need for my new one is a gpu. I'm getting desperate.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Militree posted:

How are you guys finding 3080s? I don't have a working computer and the last thing I need for my new one is a gpu. I'm getting desperate.

Discord alerts and hoping to be able to click "Buy" faster than anyone else, basically.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

shrike82 posted:

haven't there been quite a few instances of undervolted ampere cards blacking out in games? probably easier from a manufacturing standpoint to run them a bit hotter than necessary to avoid that

I don't have a problem with my undervolted 3080 and Cyberpunk.

Although I took off the undervolt and had a bunch of shimmering on objects. Put it back on and everything was fine.

I know the game is buggy af but that was weird.

Gnarly Bae Jepsen
Jul 12, 2007

Manic Pixie Dick Girl

SourKraut posted:

Discord alerts and hoping to be able to click "Buy" faster than anyone else, basically.

What discord are people on? I'm on one but the last notification of 3080s available was last month.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Militree posted:

What discord are people on? I'm on one but the last notification of 3080s available was last month.

ATR-Stonks.

https://discord.com/invite/atr

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

I'm in all those discord but every time I click add to card it just don't go in or I get an error. It's really drat aggravating.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

A Proper Uppercut posted:

I'm in all those discord but every time I click add to card it just don't go in or I get an error. It's really drat aggravating.

so is everyone else, do it faster than them or never get a gpu. People getting cards could only be half a second ahead of you. There could also only be a single gpu in the restock and you are fighting thousands of bots for one item.

Just watch best buy restocks, its the most non-bot, real person friendly of the options. You will likely never get anything on amazon or newegg

If you have a microcenter try going every morning at opening for a week. Thats basically a guaranteed 30xx at MSRP

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Dec 16, 2020

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.

Militree posted:

Try r/hardwareswap. Recently a lot of people have been selling BNIB or lightly used 3080s for around 10% -15% over MSRP shipped, which isn't too bad since it's around the equivalent of MSRP plus tax and shipping. It's worth a look to put a wanted posting up and see what kind offers you get.

mA fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Dec 16, 2020

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

I'm free

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Turn off the LED asap unless you want a single, undiffused light shining in your eye at all times

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

change my name posted:

Turn off the LED asap unless you want a single, undiffused light shining in your eye at all times

Not if you put your computer on the ground.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
On carpet for extra sound dampening too.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

i like your ⌘ REDMI NOTE 8 PRO AI QUAD CAMERA

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Malloc Voidstar posted:

It took me 4 days to find a 3080 but its radiator doesn't fit above my NH-D15S :negative:
Think it might fit if I remove then replace it so uh here's hoping
took me about an hour and a half but I made it work. :toot:
Way too loud so I guess I'm buying some Noctuas. I always figured water was quieter.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

what's the tech supply situation in the Phillipines? i've always found it interesting how inventory varies in other countries - i've heard it's alot easier to get these cards in Taiwan and China

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

Malloc Voidstar posted:

took me about an hour and a half but I made it work. :toot:
Way too loud so I guess I'm buying some Noctuas. I always figured water was quieter.

what model of card? hard to believe an AIO cooled 3080 would be louder than an air cooled one, even with a 120mm rad

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

I haven't touched Minecraft in ages, but trying out the latest drivers and update for it, and Ray Tracing which alone tanks the fps in 3440x1440 on my 2080, is made instantly playable and still looks good with DLSS. Dang stuff works magic when it's applied well.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Perfect Potato posted:

Stock voltage on 3080 is pretty absurd when you can undervolt a tuf by like a full 1/4th and still get stock clocks and sub 60 degree temps

I run my 3080 TuF OC at 0,9V / 1900MHz. Stock was I think 1925MHz and 1V. Now it runs 60-65C with two Arctic P12's on GPU and three P14's as case fans in Meshify S2.

Maybe I should try even less voltages but this has been stable and I don't want to live on the edge of overclocking stability.

I use DLSS Auto on cyberpunk since it tries to achieve a stable FPS and that is most important. The game starts to look really laggy at sub 60fps.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Sphyre posted:

what model of card? hard to believe an AIO cooled 3080 would be louder than an air cooled one, even with a 120mm rad
EVGA XC3 Ultra Hybrid. Noticeably louder than my 2080 Ti on air. Had to put the two rad fans on the outer side of my case (under its top shroud) to make the rad fit, so they're closer to my ears (and running at like 80-90% for some reason). Probably going to switch them out for 200mm as soon as I figure out what connector to buy.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

shrike82 posted:

what's the tech supply situation in the Phillipines? i've always found it interesting how inventory varies in other countries - i've heard it's alot easier to get these cards in Taiwan and China

pretty good? As I said earlier, I got this 3060Ti at well above what'd be US MSRP, but between taxes and import duties it was always going to be well above that anyway.

when I was shopping around in the second week of November, they didn't have any Ryzen 5600X's yet at my regular retailer, and the 3600 was also out-of-stock. They only had 3600X's and 3100's.

when I visited again today, they did have all four:

the 5600X was priced at 390 USD
the 3600X at 255 USD
the 3600 at 228 USD
the 3100 at 114 USD
and I also noted that the i5-10400F was priced at 170 USD (which seems like the next best option when I want to graduate from this Ryzen 2400G)

back in September, the RTX 2060 was priced at 450 USD, and the GTX 1650 Super was priced at 228 USD. I think those prices haven't shifted, or have only ever gone up.

it's possible to get some deals via Aliexpress - my first build was using a cheap Chinese LGA1356 motherboards for 60 USD and a Xeon 2430v2 for 70 USD, and I've also built like three or four Bulldozer-era systems using CPUs on the second-hand market (even the RX 580 I've been using for a year now was a second-hand that I snagged for 85 USD), but of course you have no warranty with such things except maybe getting Alibaba to issue a refund (which I did get to do after I bought an ECS branded A320 motherboard that was DOA).

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Not sure where to ask this but my current PC is a GTX970 with a i5-2500k (OC to 4.5GHZ) and 8GB of RAM. How does that compare to a Xbox One X or a PS4 Pro? I'm curious because Cyberpunk runs well enough on my system yet the ports on those consoles with less visual fidelity (but slightly higher resolution) run like dogshit. I was under the impression that the Xbox One X was significantly more powerful than my current setup while the PS4 Pro was more or less equal to it.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
They both have terrible cpus so that might be bottlenecking them. Also old architecture is not as effecient as modern gpus

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

punk rebel ecks posted:

Not sure where to ask this but my current PC is a GTX970 with a i5-2500k (OC to 4.5GHZ) and 8GB of RAM. How does that compare to a Xbox One X or a PS4 Pro? I'm curious because Cyberpunk runs well enough on my system yet the ports on those consoles with less visual fidelity (but slightly higher resolution) run like dogshit. I was under the impression that the Xbox One X was significantly more powerful than my current setup while the PS4 Pro was more or less equal to it.

The previous gen consoles have godawful single thread performance, I'd wager that's the limiting factor

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/TechPowerUp/status/1338940697517363200?s=20

lol even their enterprise cards (A100 and probably the A6000) are running into supply issues.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

change my name posted:

Wow I can see it through the box.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

shrike82 posted:

https://twitter.com/TechPowerUp/status/1338940697517363200?s=20

lol even their enterprise cards (A100 and probably the A6000) are running into supply issues.

8k Cyberpunk here we come!

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!

punk rebel ecks posted:

They're running different versions of the game, there are only 2 versions right now: base console & PC. they had to strip so much out of the base console version to keep it running that it's not just popping in the PC version on mostly low. It still looks and runs like poo poo because as a standalone game that version sucks rear end. a low end PC is still running the 100% fully featured game on low with much more granular settings.

i wouldn't say the One X is leaps and bounds more powerful either, it's like a 1060 6GB in GPU performance with an absolute dogshit cpu

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!
still kind of astounded that people are like falling over themselves to buy $850 cards whose claim to fame is rendering the game at 720p with magic proprietary upscaling and calling it the future of gaming but idk

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
And the CP2077 problems on the console are more than just hardware limiting. That's part of it but if they also just didn't do a great job in this case as it looks like they were aiming more for PC. It sucks but it happens, scope creep on a hugely anticipated release can be a hell of a thing. I don't like that people are comparing the graphics of CP2077 with TLOU2 or Valhalla since those games are much less teeming and full of stuff, which specifically will be harder to do in a console. But its also fair to call it not a good console version.

PS5/SeriesX are much, much more comparable to a straight up PC.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

punk rebel ecks posted:

the base PS4 runs CP2077 between 900p and 720p, usually slums at the bottom of that range, can barely hold 30 FPS, and the game downgrades the resolution so hard that everything becomes blurry as hell

the PS4 Pro runs CP2077 at "1188p", dipping down to "972p", which is roughly 45% to 55% of a 4k screen. It actually looks pretty good if you're only playing on a 1080p screen, and it does hold to 30 FPS a lot more often, but can still dip into the low 20's in outdoors and intense fight scenes

a GTX 970 still has twice the pixel fill rate relative to the PS4 Pro's GPU, and is clocked higher (1050 MHz vs 911 MHz)

an i5-2500K is also significantly more powerful than the PS4 Pro's CPU (still the same Jaguar CPU in the base PS4, just clocked higher to 2.13 GHz instead of 1.6 GHz)

the main takeaway here is that your computer is still quite a bit more powerful than even the PS4 Pro

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Has anyone actually been able to buy a Big Navi card

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Looks like a Big Nada to me!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Hello GPU thread! I read back through the last 4-5 pages but all the chat seems to be about finding a nvidia card. Are they generally preferred over the AMD 6000s or is it just supply issues? I am looking at getting a new PC and I can get a RX 6800 (and a 5800x cpu), which seems to be comparable to a 3070, but are there other downsides? I'm in Sweden so we might have different availability